Can't find info on this safe

PDA

2bfree
March 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
I have a chance to get this safe for the cost of moving. I had a guy come out for a price and was 100.00 to move, weighs about 500 lbs.
The combination says Sargent and Greenleaf, a label that says North American Safe, Fire Class B,Type 2 Hr,Burglary Class B, and a serial number.
It is about 3 inches to short for my one rifle but should handle my 8 handguns and the little bit of gold and silver plus a few other things of importance I have and it will be a long time before I can afford the safe I want.
It is old, the people that have it have had it for over 30 years and they bought it used, works fine, combination works smooth.
I have not been able to find any info on it, any one able to give me any info ? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't find info on this safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CB900F
March 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
2b;

The important thing is, did the label say it was U.L. rated? In other words: U.L. fire class B, 2 hr. Burglary class B. If it wasn't U.L. certified, then those classifications don't mean much. How thick are the walls? What are the dimensions? At a mere 500 lbs., looking as if it's something around five feet tall, 26" wide & about the same deep, I strongly doubt it's a U.L. safe.

OTOH, if it is a U.L. rated safe, then by all means, get it. But then I doubt it's just 500 lbs.

900F

2bfree
March 15, 2013, 06:22 PM
No UL I could find, 48 in tall, 26 in wide, 27 in deep. Walls are 3 in, door 4 1/4. What year did safes get a UL rating ? Any Idea ? Amazing you could get that close in size from the picture !

CB900F
March 15, 2013, 10:55 PM
2b;

The wall & door thickness indicates that there should be some decent thermal protection for the contents. That depends on what the insulation is though. The light weight bothers me, just not enough mass there to believe that there's much steel or much dense insulation.

All-in-all, if it's not a big deal to you to get it, go ahead & do it. But you're not getting a container that offers a high degree of either burglary or thermal protection. OTOH, anything is better than nothing. You pays yer nickle an' ya makes yer choice.

900F

Torian
March 15, 2013, 11:09 PM
100 bucks to move that is a deal. My 500 pounder took four guys and double that to install.

DeepSouth
March 16, 2013, 01:11 AM
It sounds as if you currently have no safe, it is therefore much better than the one you have.

Buy it.

Btw a S&G
lock is a good one, I know liberty uses them. Probably many others.

7.62 Nato
March 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
Well worth the money IMHO.

ZeSpectre
March 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
As long as the combo dial works smoothly then I'd say it is probably a good deal

Cesiumsponge
March 16, 2013, 01:50 PM
500lbs is light enough for one man to move with the proper, low-tech tools. The Egyptians were clever folks. I moved a dense 600lb 2.5cuft safe without much issue. Spend the few dollars to have a qualified safe tech come out and inspect the lock and boltwork too, given you don't have information on what sort of service this safe saw. You want to make sure the internals are in good working order and/or serviced before you start putting your valuables inside.

Torian
March 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
Agreed...however I will refrain from making blanket discriminatory opinions about local movers :)

2bfree
March 16, 2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. It is in my house now. The guy moving it thought it was at least 650 pds, all I know is it weighed more than my lathe, and it weighs 450. I had already called a lock smith to check it out but it was 250.00 for him to come and service it, I passed. If it ever does not open it was only 300.00 to have him come and drill it out, I'll take my chances :cuss:
So, for a hundred bucks delivered I thinks it will work for me for now. After 40 years of hiding guns in multi # of rooms and if someone decides to burglarize my house, they better come prepared with more than a crow bar. Thanks again.

heeler
March 16, 2013, 05:44 PM
Good for you.
At that low price that thing blows away those cheap Chinese tractor store safes that people spend $500-$1000 on.
But even that tractor store safe beats no safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't find info on this safe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!