Anyone a member of a police/sheriff auxilliary unit?

PDA

pignock
March 13, 2004, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking about joining the local (Tazewell County, Illinois) sheriff's auxilliary unit and I'd like to hear from any current or past part-timers from anywhere, but Illinois info would be extra helpful.

I'm looking at this as a "giving back to the community" kind of thing so if the comments are generally negative, I'll choose a different venue towards which to donate my energy.

OK, let's hear it - good, bad, ugly and indifferent....

Thanks in advance,

Keith

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone a member of a police/sheriff auxilliary unit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunpacker
March 14, 2004, 12:24 AM
I was a reserve officer in FL for 15 years. I had a great time. You need to be sure that you are willing to place yourself in danger for little reward though. The monetary rewards are few. We were paid little, but did get reasonable pay for special duty security details. It certainly does break up the normal humdrum life most of us lead, and I always looked forward to the adrenaline rush of police work.
Try it and you'll probably be hooked. If you don't like it, quitting is easy.
Most of our officers served for quite a while, with few washing out without several years of service. Many were there longer than me.
Only you can answer, and sounds like you have the desire.

roo_ster
March 14, 2004, 12:31 AM
Thinking about doing the same here, for the same reason.

I have never lived in one place for as long as I've been at my present location. I want to get to know it better and work to improve it. "The rootless sinking roots," if you will.

I've volunteered and perfromed other service (soup kithcens, food banks, old-folks homes, etc: though church and elsewhere). However, I think that I am not using my time/skills as effectively as I might. Let some of Uncle Sam's training find a useful outlet.

I, too, plan to investigate my local volunteer auxilliary before commiting to service in it. The local full-time police seem to be effective, have good morale, and have good relations with the citizenry that I have seen.

deputy tom
March 14, 2004, 07:53 PM
pignock,Do what you want to.You will work a part time, dangerous job, without pay.Some paid regulars will not like you for taking away their overtime work.Bad guys don't see the little "reserve" on your badge and/or patches.They will attempt to hurt you without bias.You will be stabbed,shot and spit on .If you do a good job,you will take several days off from your real job,without pay,and go to hearings/trials again without pay,for each arrest that you effect.Your family will be mad at you for you'll be away with the unit on every holiday,weekend and any day your spouse has anything planned,kid's ball games,dance recitals,etc...

Not to sound bitter but those are the facts.I speak from experience.Been there,done that.I think I have served my comminity well.tom.

PATH
March 14, 2004, 08:02 PM
Auxiliaries work for PD's around here. They are unpaid and usually do what the regulars don't want to do. Watching parking lots, directing traffic, finding lampost lights that are out and filing reports. Basically they are an eyes and ears type group although they do recieve shotgun training.

Sheriff's Reserve recieve training. No Guns, cuffs, sticks, spray, or anything else with which to defend yourself. Called in when all the regulars are getting OT and usually do pots and pans details. Watching parking lots is a forte! Eyes and ears is pretty much all it is. Brother let me tell you it sure does get hot in those parking lots!

Ala Dan
March 14, 2004, 08:28 PM
Greeting's All-

Keith my friend, if the truth was known thats
how I got started in law enforcement. I worked my
buns off religiously with a major sheriffs department
here in Alabama. Take what others have told you in
to consideration; cuz its pretty much the truth! Not
a whole lotta glory in being a reserve deputy; plus
the fact my department required reserves to invest
a bundle of money in their uniforms and equipment.
Oh, I got to take the laundry expenses off my income
tax! Whoopee, that was mighty gracious of the good
old "big brother" type of government!

And like others have said, a rookie full of P&V will
work their tails off; with NO PAY, here in my county.
You will be called upon for all kind's of s--t details; some
of which may include celebrity golf tournaments, fund
raisers, horse shows, etc. Oh! I almost fogot, if a ex-
president visits your county; you may be selected to
assist the regular deputies and the Secret Service
with protection duties? This happened to me while
I was a reserve deputy; as we had ex-President
Gerald R. Ford, playing in a celebrity golf tournament
with the likes of Arnold Palmer, Bear Bryant, and Mr.
Charlie Boswell (the blind golfer). Also, I got to work
the LPGA, amongest all the female golfers. Its a good
way too see if you really want to do law enforcement
type work full time?

And put this in the bank, when working with a sworn
full time deputy you are working under his color of law.
Unless you attend a minimum standards, certified law
enforcement school; you have NO arrest powers! At
least thats the way the courts look at it here in the
south. Yes, its fun and exciting, very demanding, and
hard on family life. Cuz when you aren't on your real
job; you will want to be playing POLICE! :uhoh: :D
After a creditable 20+ year record, I was able to walk
away from all the hassle; especially the great demand
on court apperances. The ole saying, "the job is not
complete, until the paperwork is done"; has another
clause to it, "the job is not complete until the paper-
work is done and the court cases are cleared"!

I could write more, but it might turn to boredoom;
and I don't want that to happen.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

G1FAL
March 14, 2004, 11:27 PM
Sounds like some places are really screwy about this.

Here, I'm pretty sure you have to have gone thru the academy first, before you can even get a job as a Special Deputy or Police Auxilliary. OPOTA, Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy, there are some places that are dedicated to this, some places like OSU Lima and Univertisty of Findlay, where you can get it, and there are some depts. where you have to go thru THEIR academy, such as Columbus PD or OSP.

But once you've got that, you carry a pistol, pepper spray, baton, cuffs, etc. And have arrest powers.

I cant speak for any other counties, but in my county the Sheriff's Office uses the Specials for things like football games, the county fair, or to cover either the road or the jail when there arent enough regular deputies, or a jailer is sick or on vacation.

And yes, they do get paid. But its less even than the jailers get, I'm pretty sure. Since most of the guys that are Specials are retired anyway, they're not really in it for the pay. It gets them out of the house for a while, they get to play cop for a while, and most important (to the wives), it gets them out of the wife's hair for a while.

It is a decent way to get started as a cop or deputy, if you dont mind some off-the-wall work hours and fairly low pay. If you rather would have steady work hours and slightly better pay, yet still get your foot in the door in law enforcement, you'd be better off applying as a CO at the county jail.

Like I said, I can only speak fo the area I live in. Might be completely different where you live.

deputy tom
March 14, 2004, 11:34 PM
Here in PA Special Deputies must go thru and pass the training course,do carry firearms,do effect arrests,do enjoy all of the powers as regular municipal police officers but do not get paid.All of that after you purchase and maintain out of your own pocket all uniform items and firearms(ammo too).tom.

Ala Dan
March 15, 2004, 01:05 AM
Reserve program (continued)

In our program, reserve deputy's carried firearms and
worked with a full time, sworn deputy when the project
first began. This is the best way for a novice like I was
to learn; not by allowing two reserve deputy's to work
together in the same vechile.

We were not required to go to The Alabama Criminal
Justice Training Center Academy in Selma, AL for the
course of instruction. Instead, we attended a town hall
type of meeting on the 2nd Monday evening of every
month, to earn our degree. Needless to say, I never
finished that project; as I became a regular LEO, and
went straight to the academy.

Now, the reserves have their own Chief Deputy to
whom they answer. And I believe that they do have
to attend the academy and be certified by a State
certificate of graduation? Over the years since its
inception, I guess it has been quite a success; as
I haven't heard anything bad about the program.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Bopleo
March 15, 2004, 12:06 PM
Maricopa county, AZ, Sheriff Joe's posse gets a lot of work in some cities within the county and full deputy status while riding with a full time deputy.
They are mostly used to supplement the deputy ranks and for the sheriff to ballon up his numbers of deputies on the street to the media.

Doc
March 15, 2004, 10:03 PM
i think deputy tom
stated the realities best
his opinion mirror my opinions based on
my experiences here in
suburban detroit.

BUT, there are venues, especially in smaller communities,
where the reserves are valued members of the community
and the department, where there are necessary to the
functioning of law enforcement.

if like Dan, you want a career as a LEO
and being a reserve is necessary or helpful
then it would be a good choice.

if i had to do it again, i would
but i would realize that it was to be
ONLY for the training which i couldn't
get any other way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone a member of a police/sheriff auxilliary unit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!