My last shoot w/pix

PDA

herkyguy
March 16, 2013, 08:48 AM
I had yesterday off, so I headed down to my little piece of dirt in the sticks. After a few hours of clearing brush, i broke out my Remington 700 in .308 and had a bit of fun.

first off, i recently added an M4 5 round detachable magazine and wanted to function check it. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-473/Wyatt%27s-Outdoor-Detachable-Magazine/Detail

So I set up a target and drove back about 140 yards (counting paces). I fired a group of 9 shots in all. I would have shot ten, but the board holding my target fell down. The grouping was not all that impressive, but i was happy enough that my zero had not changed with the new trigger guard. oddly enough, my rifle seems to walk shots to the left as it warms up and then settles about 2 inches left of where it starts with a cold zero. with the bull barrel, i usually shoot ten rounds fairly quickly without much cooling.

after that, i laid the board down and set 5 tin cans up. at the same 140 yards, i was able to hit each can every time. with the grass in the way, all i could see was the top of the cans and a bit of sun reflecting off the lids. while my groupings on paper were not all that remarkable, i had 100% hits on the tin cans with a total of 11 shots, which i thought was pretty good for a non-standard distance.

i shot off a harris bipod and leaned against the fender of my jeep for support. i did not use a rest for the butt of the rifle, other than my fist underneath it and my shoulder firmly against the butt. I was shooting el cheapo winchester 150 gr soft points from days long gone when wally world actually had ammo.

as far as the M4 magazine, it works as advertised. the fitting is quite tight and requires a good amount of force for it to click in place. when i installed it, it dropped right into my bell and carlson stock. feeding was 100%. the bolt is a bit stiff with 5 rounds in the magazine, but i had no problem ejecting or feeding. all in all, a great day in the outdoors and shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "My last shoot w/pix" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hang fire
March 16, 2013, 09:40 AM
Now, just exactly where did you buy some el cheapo .308? (;>)

taliv
March 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
nice shooting, especially standing off the hood.

did you get much bipod hop off it?

herkyguy
March 23, 2013, 11:11 AM
Not bad actually. The gun is heavy with the bull barrel. the recoil obviously distorts my view for a second, but i am comfortable enough with the rifle that as soon as it settles, i am refocused through the scope. what i figured out after the first few shots was the need to make sure i wasn't pushing or pulling in any direction. i had to align myself and my arms to hold the rifle firm, but not let myself put any pressure on it. a few times, the bipod slid a bit on my hood just before taking a shot so i would stop what i was doing and reset to make sure the rifle was as stable as i could make it.

bannockburn
March 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
herkyguy

I like that magazine conversion. Very straightforward and practical. Thanks for the link.

bill3424
March 23, 2013, 12:23 PM
Awesome shooting, great pics.

herkyguy
March 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
like i said, it dropped right into my Bell and Carlson with no effect on zero.

I had inconsistent loading with the factory set-up from Remington and really wanted something that fed reliably. i personally don't mind that the bolt is a bit stiff on the first round when five rounds are loaded. it advertises itself as a single stack, but looking at the .308 rounds when they are loaded, it is actually staggered just a bit.

sadly, i'm running a bit low on .308 so she is probably gonna sit in the safe for a while....

If you enjoyed reading about "My last shoot w/pix" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!