I think I made a good score on Rem 700

PDA

Hondodawg
March 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
Long story short. I offered a trade of a shotgun. He was asking $450. He said no thanks and needs cash. 20 minutes later he asks if I could do $350 cash. Well I said let me look at it. 181436
And than I come home with this!
Simmons 4-14 variable target scope, leather sling, and soft case with about 15 rounds of ammo in it.
When I asked him why he's selling it he mumbled about being arrested and probation. Looks like 1975 mfg on the barrel code WZ

If you enjoyed reading about "I think I made a good score on Rem 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
March 16, 2013, 11:19 AM
That's about all I would have paid, and only if I was looking for the rifle.

From the photo, the rifle looks to have quite a bit of mileage on it, and the Simmons scope does nothing to help value. Can't-turn-it-down price on a well used 700 I don't need with a scope I'd assign to a rimfire would be about $200.

What's the chambering? That can have a significant impact on value. I paid $700 for a very good condition 700 BDL 8mm mag with a Redfield 2-7x a couple years ago, because it is a somewhat rare chambering and a rifle I'd been looking for for some time. That price was the low end of average for this gun. But the same rifle in .270 or .30-06 is worth half that.

Hondodawg
March 16, 2013, 11:28 AM
30-06. I'm thinking the scope will go on the CZ 455 varmint. It's exactly what I was looking for deer season. I switched to rifle from black powder this year.

FuzzyBunny
March 16, 2013, 11:57 AM
What caliber?
CDNN had a new 100 in either .270 or 243 syn stock with scope and rings for under $300

As for my self I would like one in a bigger cal plus I love wood and blued steel.
As far as the deal goes if both of you are happy then it is a good deal.

Fremmer
March 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
Lol you got a good deal, a rifle and scope like that is at least $450 plus tax regular retail

hentown
March 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
I just sold my .223 VS and .243 VLS, along with bore guide, dies for the .243, brass for the .243, Tasco WC Target/Sil scope for $1000.

M1key
March 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
decent deal

M

NCsmitty
March 16, 2013, 09:34 PM
I think it's a good purchase. Great all around caliber, and !975 was in the time when Remington 700's were making their reputation for their excellent quality and accuracy. The scope is not anything special, but it's probably functional. I would be happy with a fine older rifle like that in my collection. Congratulations, and let us know how it shoots.

NCsmitty

rust collector
March 17, 2013, 10:10 AM
My first centerfire was a late 60s vintage 700 ADL with the long bolt shroud in 6mm Remington. That was a very accurate rifle that I used to shoot a couple dozen deer and a variety of varmints, so of course I sold it. I wish I still had it.

The 30-06 is a very popular chambering for a good reason. The military type sling is actually a very useful aid to shooting accurately from a position. The scope will likely work just fine until something else grabs your eye, and you'll save money using the current mount if you are happy with it.

The trigger works perfectly millions of times, but once in a blue moon it has made the news. Basic firearm safety will avoid any trouble.

You did well.

surjimmy
March 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
You did Ok, if you like all that pretty wood and bluing. I mean if your into that kind of look. Nothing nicer then wood and bluing.

Lloyd Smale
March 18, 2013, 06:21 AM
A new bdl willl set you back about 900 bucks so id say you did good. Ive seen just an action out of a 700 fetch that much.

Picher
March 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
The rifle looks pretty good and if the bore is not pitted, it's well worth the money. If it were mine, I'd be pillar/glass bedding the action and free-floating the barrel before even shooting it, but that's me.

I'd lose the scope and sling. Military slings are way too heavy for my likes, except on the target range. Not many people use them to shoot with when hunting. You can get a cheap nylon sling that weighs about 1/4 of a leather military one and it won't distract you on quick offhand shots by swinging like a clock pendulum. (Some ex-military guys will probably disagree.)

ball3006
March 18, 2013, 11:46 AM
A leather sling too heavy??? Sounds like someone should think about going to a gym if they are that weak......I scored a 700 BDL off a Kmart blue light special. Fitted a Weaver wide view 2-7 on it. Problem is, I don't hunt any longer so it is a safe queen. I doubt if it has had 50 rounds through it.....Enjoy your rifle. If the scope is functional, just use it. Just because it doesn't have a "flashy name" brand on it doesn't mean it is no good. I have used "cheap" scopes for many years with no problems....chris3

lakecitybrass
March 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
A couple of years ago I bought a Walmart M700 with a scope and plastic stock for $369 (or something like that) I sold the .243 barrel, the scope and the stock and the receiver ended up costing $200 or so. But, my 1978 M700 receiver looks so much better with a smoother action. Looking inside the receivers, the older one was better finished. Not saying it is 'more accurate', it just shows that they have to cut corners to keep the price that low.

If you enjoyed reading about "I think I made a good score on Rem 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!