Best gun movies?

PDA

Lightsped
February 2, 2003, 11:57 PM
What is considered to be some of the best, most accurate gun movies? I am referring to any good gun movies made in the past 10-15 years. Say 1980s and newer.

I am trying to expand my DVD collection a bit.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun movies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
February 3, 2003, 12:14 AM
L.A. Confidential

Heat

Cross of Iron

I bought L.A. Confidential on Friday. I'd seen it about half a dozen times on TV. It's so much better on DVD it's not even funny.

Don't know if you can get Cross of Iron on DVD or not.

NewShooter78
February 3, 2003, 12:16 AM
The Band of Brother's DVD set, but its more than just a "gun" movie

12.7x99mm
February 3, 2003, 12:19 AM
I don’t know if this fits your criteria but I just finished Jeremiah Johnson. Haven’t seen it in years. Not allot of guns but those were real men.

Schuey2002
February 3, 2003, 12:32 AM
Heat ! Oh, yeah!

Plus, Boondock Saints.. :D

Mike Irwin
February 3, 2003, 02:02 AM
What the heck is Boondock Saints about?

It was on the "reduced price" (9.99, IIRC) rack at Target.

I just wasn't sure whether to get it or not, and from the jacket writeup, it won 782 Oscars and has been unanimously voted the greatest movie of all time... :rolleyes:

4570Rick
February 3, 2003, 02:44 AM
are allways going to be westerns or war movies. Westerns are my favorites.

The Wild Bunch

Liberty Valance

The Shootist

Valdez is Comming

Lonesome Dove

Last Train From Gun Hill

Any movie with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Ben Johnson, Burt Lancaster or Lee Marvin.

Any movie directed by Sam Peckenpah.:D

swingset
February 3, 2003, 02:52 AM
Bowling for Columbine??

:rolleyes:

doseyclwn
February 3, 2003, 03:08 AM
I liked "Vampires" (w/James Woods)

And who can forget "Zardoz"

"The gun is good. The penis is evil!!!"

BamBam-31
February 3, 2003, 03:47 AM
Buy the Boondock Saints, Mike. You won't regret it.

It's kind of a spoof on superheroes. These two Irish brothers become vigilantes that go out and kill bad guys. Dark humor, but immensely enjoyable. One of my favorite movies, period.

Can't wait til Pt. II comes out!!

Kahr carrier
February 3, 2003, 05:57 AM
ECK VS SEVER, LUCY LIU is hot.:D

doseyclwn
February 3, 2003, 11:34 AM
ECK VS SEVER, LUCY LIU is hot

Is that movie really any good? It looked silly and stupid, which is why I didn't see it.

Rebel Gunman HK
February 3, 2003, 12:59 PM
The way of the Gun was pretty cool, realistic reloads and stuff.
Blackhawk Down & Saving Private Ryan were great!
Shot through the Heart was interesting.
Sniper sucks!
Army of Darkness is the Best!:evil:

45R
February 3, 2003, 01:48 PM
HEAT is probably the best all time gun movie, followed by the cartoon Cowboy Bebop!

jpwright
February 3, 2003, 02:05 PM
Actually, I laugh my fundament off every time I watch City Heat, with Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. The shootout in the garage, where they alternate drawing guns with longer and longer barrels? Priceless. :D

I really dislike Steven Seagal, but his movies often have very authentic use of 1911s.

Sprout
February 3, 2003, 06:50 PM
ECK VS SEVER: A lot of cool guns, but the movie is terrible. Really terrible.

Gary H
February 3, 2003, 08:41 PM
"The Professional", uncut version: At least he cleans his guns. Once called the "mark", "the client"... That is a bad mistake

"The Unforgiven"

"Blackhawk Down" was realistic

worst... "Matrix" .. the gun was shooting unfired ammunition through the air in slow motion.

Hey... I'm a "Senior" .. party time.

Skunkabilly
February 3, 2003, 08:45 PM
the gun was shooting unfired ammunition through the air in slow motion.

One word: Microsoft ;)

longeyes
February 3, 2003, 09:22 PM
Ghost Dog.

RikWriter
February 3, 2003, 09:37 PM
Quigley Down Under

Rembrandt
February 3, 2003, 10:00 PM
...I'm going to bend the rules and go back a bit further.....Gary Cooper in "Sargeant York"......any marksman will appreciate that film.

556A2
February 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
Taxi Driver, the Evil Dead series even though they are funny, Dawn of the Dead, Enemy at the Gates (Minus the love story), Lock,Stock, & 2 Smoking Barrels, and Snatch.

Mastrogiacomo
February 3, 2003, 10:30 PM
Romeo is Bleeding - Lena Olin
The Replacement Killers - Chow Yun Fat
Hard Boiled - Chow Yun Fat
The Killer - Chow Yun Fat
Full Contact - Chow Yun Fat/Simon Yam
Killer's Romance - Simon Yam
Time and Tide - director Tsui Hark
A Better Tomorrow - Chow Yun Fat
A Better Tomorrow II - Chow Yun Fat
A Better Tomorrow III - Chow Yun Fat
Face Off - Travolta/Cage
Goodfellas - Ray Liotta
Along Came a Spider - Morgan Freeman
Shanghi Grand - Leslie Cheung/Andy Lau
The Mission - Simon Yam
Full Time Killer - Simon Yam/Andy Lau
My Father is a Hero (aka Letter to Papa) Jet Li/Anita Mui
Heroic Trio (some guns but great action) Michelle Yeoh/Anita Mui
As Tears Go By - Andy Lau/Jacky Cheung
Chungking Express - Brigitte Lin

Basically anything from Hong Kong. You get the picture, yes?

www.yesasia.com
www.asianxpress.com
www.hkdvdmart.com

Mastrogiacomo
February 3, 2003, 10:32 PM
Wooops!! Don't forget about Gena Rowland's taking on the mob in GLORIA. Don't go for the remake garbage with Sharon Stone, get the original. Gena rocks!!:D :D :D

Amegatek
February 4, 2003, 12:26 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone else ever noticed this in TV "cop" shows. I was watching a rerun of the X-Files the other day, and Scully is at home working on her computer. She hears a strange noise elsewhere in her house, and gets up to investigate. She grabs her service pistol (for those who don't know, she is an FBI agent) and the first thing she does is rack the slide. That brings to mind three possibilities: A. She unloaded weapon when she arrived home (lived alone at that point in the series) B. She carried all day on duty Condition 3!?! :eek: or C. It just looks cooler to have her rack the slide. I have also noticed this in other "cop" shows as well. Any Thoughts?

On the original topic I liked The Jackal. Haven't seen it in awhile though so don't remember how realistic it was.

Sven
February 4, 2003, 01:01 AM
I did like "Way of the Gun", although the plot was weak.

Kahr carrier
February 4, 2003, 09:17 AM
Scarface -MEET MY LITTLE FRIEND.:neener:

Lightsped
February 4, 2003, 09:57 AM
Anyone like the Untouchables movie? It was made in the late 80s and has alot of Tommy Guns and old 1911s....

BigG
February 4, 2003, 10:13 AM
This is the be-all and end-all of cool gun movies imho. If this is not part of your collection, your collection is not complete. Siege of Firebase Gloria (http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-6113-7F960C4-38A191B4-bd3)

bogie
February 4, 2003, 05:00 PM
Ecks vs. Sever - VERY bad movie. Cool baton scene tho...

Is Firebase Gloria out on DVD?

For a war movie, look for Hell is for Heroes.

BigG
February 4, 2003, 07:43 PM
Firebase Gloria is unfortunately only in VHS but it is so kick_um, exciting, it is well worth acquiring. It is R. Lee Ermey's maiden voyage into film history and is far more compelling than his role as the DI in FMJ. I would kill to get a glorious deluxe widescreen DVD treatment of this gem. :cool:

You might want to screen Sharky's Machine - Actor/Director Burt Reynolds answer to Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry. Even grittier than the Clintster at his finest. Lots of Colt Gumt Model action, sawed off shotguns, etc. Brilliant Flick! :D

Sharky's Machine (http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-65F4-8683995-38FDAEB3-prod1)

Catbird
February 4, 2003, 09:00 PM
http://www.tombstone1880.com/wildbill/photos/t1.jpg

TOMBSTONE

Aspin
February 4, 2003, 11:44 PM
__HEAT__ IS KING

Who'll Stop the rain (on dvd even) its a 1978 movie main star Nick Nolte good flick with nice M16 stuff at End (loading, nade laucher, fullauto).

Strings
February 5, 2003, 04:52 PM
Zardoz?!? ZARDOZ!?!?! You have GOT to be kidding! Some friends and I were forced to sit through that by my father-in-law... we took all the remotes away from him after that...

(for those who are unaware, Zardoz is a Sean Connery flick that really has no redeeming qualities: acting was bad, plot was non-existant. Although I liked the ladies costumes, I couldn't even drool over the ladies wearing them)

I WILL agree with the vote for Boondock Saints: a very fun movie. And, although Wallberg is an anti, The Big Hit is another fun one...

Average Guy
February 5, 2003, 05:06 PM
the first thing she does is rack the slide
I just watched "Flypaper" (also w/Lucy Liu). Robert Loggia hands a little semi-auto pistol to another character, who immediately racks the slide. My first thoughts were, "Why would he assume it was unloaded? Further, without a mag check, how would he know it even has more than one round in the mag?" And then: "It would have been funnier, and in keeping with the tone of the movie, if a live round had ejected."

Ah, well.

Bosco Baracus
February 5, 2003, 08:28 PM
Some of my favorites:
Heat (specifically, the bank scene)
Rogue Force (decent team tactics)
Quigley Down Under (makes me want to get a Sharps)
Tombstone ("I'm your huckleberry")
Matrix ("guns, lots of guns")

A good gun movie (for me) is one where I'm pretty quiet; you know it's not a good gun movie when your significant other is telling you to shut up everytime you start to criticize stuff done wrong on the screen.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun movies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!