Shooting Flint

PDA

Steel Horse Rider
March 17, 2013, 12:16 AM
I took the finished product from my Dixie Gun Works Hawken Flint rifle kit out to test today. I used 90 grains of Goex FF and a patched Bore Butter lubed .490 round ball and FFFF in the pan. First shot did nothing as in my excitement I had forgotten to lower the frizzen after priming the pan.....:uhoh::banghead: The second shot was 6" below the aim point at 50 yards and slightly left, the third was 6" low and slightly right so I adjusted the elevation screw up about a turn and a half. The next two shots were into water filled gallon milk jugs at 50 yards, I hit them but couldn't see the explosion due to the flash and smoke from the pan....:banghead: I next tried a few shots from my Pedersoli Kentucky pistol kit gun using Pyrodex P (it is percussion). At about 25 yds that thing is deadly on pop cans! :) Then a large cloud came up and started raining so I put everything away in a hurry and picked up my trash. As soon as I was about a half mile from the range it stopped raining.....:mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Flint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snakeman
March 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
at least it rains there!

4v50 Gary
March 17, 2013, 07:57 AM
I shot my Ruger Old Army in the rain. There was a fellow down range from me whose AR kept jamming. I thought that was funny.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
I remember shooting at Overbrook Kansas at the Kansas State Shoot about
1974. I shot nothing but Flint rifle. They didn't have a covered firing line. It
Rained the whole day. So I shot all day long in the rain. Not one single mis-fire
Had to load in the rain also. The percussion boys were having a fit. A good Flint
Gun is very reliable in all kinds of weather.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Flint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!