One Knife to Rule them all.

PDA

River Wraith
March 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
If you could only choose one knife, which would it be?

If you enjoyed reading about "One Knife to Rule them all." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
March 17, 2013, 02:20 AM
Benchmade Adamas 275.

Tough enough for hard work, but not too heavy to carry everyday. D2 steel, so it holds an edge for a long time. It's also one of the best-looking knives I've had.
http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/295x295/knifecenter/benchmade-knives/images/BM275BKSNnw.jpg

JShirley
March 17, 2013, 06:11 AM
Spyderco Black Manix 2 Lightweight.

Creature
March 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
Spyderco Endura G10

http://www.boker.de/images/gross2/01sp597.jpg

Sav .250
March 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
No one thing fits everything........... I`ll go with the Buck 110 ,folding. It`s not a fit-all by any means but for what I do with it........ fits.

Pilot
March 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
Zero Tolerance ZT 0560 if we're talking folders.

Skyshot
March 17, 2013, 08:16 AM
Not a folder, for me it would be the Esee 3

SleazyRider
March 17, 2013, 08:51 AM
Call it pedestrian, but in my estimation the assisted-opening SOG Blink rules them all. It's flat and carries easily, and clips onto what few dollars I have to keep 'em deep in my pocket.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq315/Magnageek/IMG_4428.jpg

Glockaxis
March 17, 2013, 09:13 AM
I have a couple different Emerson folders with their "wave" quick open function and they are the ones I've carried the longest (and current edc today). ----believe me, I have tons of knives I've gone through.

50 Shooter
March 17, 2013, 09:32 AM
Well, I have two hands, plenty of pockets and a belt so... I just can't choose one.

I carry a Kershaw Blur in my pocket, a swiss army knife, sog power pliers and a Camillus Carnivore in my bag.

Gordon
March 17, 2013, 11:35 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/P1010625.jpg

:D
Mad Dog made me this Sitka for my 60th Birthday a few years back. It is 10" with a Glowing Temper Line edge and Sonora green handle material . I have used it carefully around camp and it can cut trees and shave beards.

Rexster
March 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Just one. You ARE kidding, right? OK, I would select a Bowie or large camp knife, with a blade in the 7" to 9" range. There are several candidates, and if I had to select from among what I presently own, it would be a Randall #1-7, with a micarta handle.

I would prefer something with full-tang construction, for a one-and-only knife, that might see heavy, abusive use in an emergency. Having an axe/hatchet and prying tool handy would minimize the need to abuse the knife.

In my usually-urban life, I have little need for a large knife, but plenty of use for smaller
blades, so I am glad I am able to own a variety of knives! SAK, small and large folders, and small fixed blades see varying amounts of regular use. Neither of my Randall 1-7 knives have to work for a living, at this point in time.

hso
March 17, 2013, 01:38 PM
If you could only choose one knife, which would it be?

For what application?

No such thing as one knife that does everything as well as a knife designed for the task.

I'd think that most of the responses are going to be what a member's favorite EDC is or would be.

Valkman
March 17, 2013, 02:16 PM
Not me hso! Give me a Loveless Drop Point Hunter since I'll never afford one. :)

snakeman
March 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
I would make my own. Then I would make another 1!

GCBurner
March 17, 2013, 02:47 PM
Classic, full-size Bowie.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_vb_Yo_ELC48/SAskmUNL_hI/AAAAAAAABmg/ym-UWKPhTbU/s320/Iron+Mistress+Knife+%26+Book.jpg

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 17, 2013, 02:48 PM
I've been EDCing a Benchmade 520 or 525(same knife--different sizes) for over 7 years---haven't felt the need to look at anything else since.

hso
March 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
Give me a Loveless Drop Point Hunter since I'll never afford one.

Weeelllllllll, I did say "would be". ;)

Heck, if we open it up to the "unobtanium" category I'd probably pick a nice 3-4" Talonite blade done by Loveless in that pattern with some purty stag scales (ignoring that Mr. Loveless never did anything in Talonite). OR I could go with a nice dressy Kit Carson in Stellite with NiFe meteorite!

JShirley
March 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
Considering that "everything" is daily carry more than anything else, some of you choosing huge knives must have interesting lives...

John

hso
March 17, 2013, 04:13 PM
He didn't say it had to be practical or make any logical sense.:evil:

If that were the case I'd probably just stick with my Sebenza since I've already done unspeakable things with it that no knife should be subjected to.

Deltaboy
March 17, 2013, 04:47 PM
Buck 110.

Gordon
March 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
I ride a Road King so I assumed he meant King.:evil:

eodtoad
March 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
Benchmade Rukus.

eodtoad
March 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
Benchmade Rukus.

rcmodel
March 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
Well?
Thats a hard question.

Out of possibly 100 knives in my collection?
(I haven't ever counted them all)

It would have to be easy to sharpen.
Short enough for general use.
Fit in my pocket 24/7 so I would always have it when I had to have it.
And not cost too much to abuse or lose it if necessary.

So?
All I have had in my pocket for the last 40 years is a Victorinox SAK.

And some sort of SpyderCo, or Benchmade folder, or something like that.

A belt knife?

Have to be a cheap beater that gets you there and back and I can sharpen on a rock if necessary.
That will also field dress small game, big game, chop firewood, food, and open bean cans without breaking the point off.

So we get to my old USN MKII's, KaBars, Camillus, a few old Westerns, but more likely a Marbles Fieldcraft made in 1916.

I got enough old G issue knives for that sort of thing to last me two more lifetimes.

If you can't sharpen it in the field with available tools?
It's dead to me as a 'one knife' knife.

rc

wlewisiii
March 17, 2013, 11:01 PM
For me it would be my CRKT M21-04G that is my current EDC. It does what I need well enough.

Might change that if I ever feel the need to splurge at the Benchmade "design your own Griptillian page" but I have a hard time convincing myself it's really worth twice as much as my CRKT folder...

Tomcat47
March 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
Hard Question to answer...... :uhoh:

I carry 5 everyday I wake up.....:confused:

Masters of Defense CQD Mk1
Swiss Army Victorinox
Small Victorinox with Scissors
Gerber Gator
3" Camillus Lock Back

In bad circumstances I would hate to be without any of them, but I would really want my MOD CQD if it come down to it I suppose.

kozak6
March 18, 2013, 05:50 AM
Probably just a humble Swiss army knife.

Lightweight, easy to carry, easy to sharpen. A million uses.

Mp7
March 18, 2013, 06:43 AM
http://ant-supplies.co.uk/siteimages/COLD-STEEL-BUSHMAN-FOLDING-KNIFE-PRO.jpg

Max legal length here, flat enuff to clipcarry in backpocket without noticing,
from kitchen-campknife to wood-splitting, it does everything.

One of the best tools for the money.

mr.trooper
March 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
I have a Oleg Krymlin fixed blade that rocks my world:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/mrtrooper/My%20Knife%20Collection/OlegKrymlinHunter.jpg

almostfree
March 18, 2013, 09:07 PM
5" Randall Model 3 in O-1 with a stag handle.

crazyjennyblack
March 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
SOG Seal Pup. 4.75" fixed blade, good steel, and stays sharp for a long time.

CWL
March 18, 2013, 09:17 PM
If I was forced to choose only one knife, it'd have to be Bear Gryll's personal pocket knife!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii14/CWL_photos/BearGryllsknife.jpg

JRH6856
March 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
My EDC is a Cold Steel Voyager (http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/29TLT/VOYAGER_LG_TANTO_POINT_PLAIN_EDGE.aspx) with a tanto blade. For a "do everything" sheath knife, it would have to be a Puma White Hunter (http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/White-Hunter-P1.aspx).

Fireforger
March 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
Vintage Schrade LB-7 with carbon steel blade (I think it's 1095 carbon steel). Gave mine to my dad 'cause he wanted one. Looking for another, not that I lack for anything edged and sharp.

CA Raider
March 19, 2013, 12:59 AM
my do-all knife is an Emmerson folder.
the large version of their Commander series ... whatever that is called.
very good alloy.
it's an expensive knife - probably more than anyone should spend.
but has served well for survival and defense .... have not drawn blood and sure hope i never have to :-)

CA R

mdauben
March 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
I'd really hate to be limited, but if I was I think I'd pick the Spyderco Military:

http://www.kapesni-noze.cz/inshop/pictures/store/sp36gpej.jpg

Light enough for comfortable pocket carry, bit enough for most jobs I want a knife to do.

JShirley
March 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
I just don't trust liner-locks. If I could only have a single knife, it would have a sturdier lock.

Yes, I love Spydercos, and they make quality knives, but mechanical devices are subject to fail. Other lock systems are just stronger, even the old lock-back.

JimStC
March 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Spartan Blades Akribis.
Go here to see: http://spartanbladesusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=118

It is the best folder that I own, by only a small margin over my Sebenza.

Jim

Geddinight
March 20, 2013, 10:16 AM
I would choose a Buck 110.

HoosierQ
March 20, 2013, 01:19 PM
Benchmade Adamas 275.

Tough enough for hard work, but not too heavy to carry everyday. D2 steel, so it holds an edge for a long time. It's also one of the best-looking knives I've had.
http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/295x295/knifecenter/benchmade-knives/images/BM275BKSNnw.jpg
I have both of these, plain edge and serrated. Tanks. Very well made.

River Wraith
March 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'd like to thank everyone or their input. If there's one thing I learned from this thread, it's that one knife is apparently not enough. I like the look of a lot the ones pictured. I'm thinking this Father's Day, I may be on the receiving end of the Pocket Bushman if my wife picks up the hint from me leaving the Amazon link up on her computer. Knifes have gone up since I was a kid.

TimboKhan
March 23, 2013, 11:22 AM
One EDC knife to rule them all would be.... Kershaw Blur. I love, love, love my Spyderco Manix, but the Blur carries a little flatter and I enjoy the assisted opening. I don't really need it, but its satisfying to snick it open. If any sort of hard use was planned, the Manix would be the first choice.

As for unobtainium, my personal dream knife isn't really all that fancy. I have always wanted an original fairbairn. I just think they are cool, and that's really all it boils down to.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2013, 12:41 PM
One knife.... a larger GEC slipjoint folder which I could use for 90% of my needs. I lived for many years without a fixed blade knife other than in the kitchen, I could do it again quite easily. I still prefer to reach for my SAK regardless of what fixed blade I might be carrying in the woods. Machetes and shorter choppers are another matter.... My little Dozier K36 Personal would be hard to give up.

Is the world ending as we know it that we have to make this kind of decision? I tend to carry two knives in the woods routinely and three if I am doing any planned chopping or brush clearing/trail maintenance.

Zeke/PA
March 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
Does that mean that I can't be a "knife nut" no more?
If So, I'll pass.
I still have the Cattarougis(sp) Barlow that I carried to school as a kid.
I own several OLD Schrades and several old CASE blades, several new ones as well.
My daily carries are Opinels, a # 10 or a #12 on my belt or a #6 in my Sunday "go to meetin" pants.
ONE KNIFE?
You gotta be kiddin" !

River Wraith
March 23, 2013, 09:03 PM
Apparently i was...I've come to that realization.

TimboKhan
March 24, 2013, 01:58 AM
That cold steel bushman isnt a bad knife. I have one and keep it in my SUV. No way would I carry it though: too big, and the lock, while strong, is just inconvenient for daily carry.

I also have to add that I have a bunch of knives, and before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I am sure I will obtain many more. Practically, I would be happy with darn near any of my folders for daily use. I like some over others, but from traditional slip joint to hardcore tactical, any one of them is better than no knife at all.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

bikerdoc
March 24, 2013, 07:40 AM
Apparently i was...I've come to that realization.

And that is a good thing.
Welcome to the dark side of sharp pointy thing.

22-rimfire
March 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
Threads like this and there are more than one make you think about what you really prefer and what you actually use. Liking something is different from using it or choosing to use it.

Lee D
March 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
im one of those guys that NEVER carry just one knife, always a folder and a sub 4" fixed blade carried in a sharpshooter pocket sheath together. I just cant see one knife as a "do-it-all". imo that's like asking "if you could have only one gun what would it be?"

that being said, the one knife that I always have on me is the Victorinox SAK Farmer. the others occasionally get rotated.

Major Kong
March 25, 2013, 07:58 PM
One folder: Hinderer XM-24
One fixed blade: Busse Fusion Battle Mistress

I own both and would trust either to pretty much any task I have. I'd really hate to be in a position to only have one knife though...

Derry 1946
March 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
To carry, Ontario Spec Plus Navy 51-95. For fun, an old bone-handled Wingen. 181896

Kabal
March 26, 2013, 06:52 PM
I just don't trust liner-locks. If I could only have a single knife, it would have a sturdier lock.

Yes, I love Spydercos, and they make quality knives, but mechanical devices are subject to fail. Other lock systems are just stronger, even the old lock-back.

I agree, and that's exactly why the original Spyderco Manix (PE) might be the "one folding knife to rule them all" - at least in its price range.

If I had to pick a fixed blade, it would be an ESEE-3 or ESEE-4.

JShirley
March 26, 2013, 07:09 PM
The original Manix was a tank, for sure.

I think the Manix 2/Manix 2 Lightweights are stronger than almost anyone will ever need them to be, and a better fit in most pockets.

I have a Manix 2 XL that I beat the hell out of in Afghanistan. Great knife, but definitely too large for some people all the time, and some environments at any time.

Jaymo
March 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
I have a strong preference for Barlows, SAKs, and and a good 3 blade Stockman. I've carried a Stockman more than any other EDC knife. The 3 different blade profiles do almost anything I need. I've used them for cutting anything I have any business cutting with a folder, for carving wooden fishing lures, and field dressing small and large game.
I carry a Schrade Stockman everyday at work, along with a Gerber Multi Plier.
The stockman is one of the last US made Schrades, and I got it off Knives Live, or Saturday Night Gun/Knife Show. I forget which. It's identical to my 1978 Uncle Henry 897UH, except for having jigged bone scales, instead of the Staglon scales of the UH.
I use the ceramic tube from an industrial light bulb (metal halide or sodium, I forget) to keep it sharp.
I like the US military 4 blade knife, as made by Schrade, Camillus, and Ontario. The one with the stainless steel scales, a spear blade, screwdriver/bottle opener, can opener, and leather punch.
For a fixed blade, an HI Bonecutter suits my needs, as does a USMC Ka-Bar.

Kabal
March 26, 2013, 07:57 PM
The original Manix was a tank, for sure.

I think the Manix 2/Manix 2 Lightweights are stronger than almost anyone will ever need them to be, and a better fit in most pockets.

I have a Manix 2 XL that I beat the hell out of in Afghanistan. Great knife, but definitely too large for some people all the time, and some environments at any time.

I also like the Manix 2 and the Manix 2 XL, but I'd trade in an ounce of weight for a sturdy backlock.

I EDC'd a Chinook I for some time, which is even a tad heavier than the old Manix. I never felt those knives were too big for any environment. They are just a little bigger than a cell phone and weigh less than most wallets.

What eventually stopped me from carrying the Chinook or other similarly-sized folders were new German knife laws that prevent me from carrying folders with locking mechanisms. Now I'm EDCing an ESEE-4... because we all know that's a much less dangerous knife :rolleyes:

JShirley
March 26, 2013, 08:50 PM
I had a Chinook. Gave it away (to Andy of Fiddleback Forge, come to think of it). It was just too big to carry.

River Wraith
March 26, 2013, 09:15 PM
This has gotten ridiculous. I'm wanting a folding knife with a lock blade that doesn't have anything that can break like switch. That's the first thing, then a fixed blade, and a tomahawk...and that's just to start. I guess I'll start with the folder, but I can see how this could get expensive. How is United Cutlery as far as quality goes?

22-rimfire
March 26, 2013, 10:03 PM
United Cutlery = poor quality overall. Chinese stuff although some of the Chinese blades have been improving. Most good knives have gotten more expensive relative to 20 years ago.

Added: When it comes to knives and guns, everyone has an opinion. It's hard to choose. Looking for a basic knife > Buck, Case (for basic folders), Great Eastern Cutlery (for basic folders), Spyderco, some kershaws, SOG (okay, but you can do better for the price), Colt Steel (about the same as SOG).

Generally speaking US made is usually good. Some US companys import all of their knives. Many SOG blades made in Japan & Taiwan; the less expensive stuff made in China now. I am a fan of the SOG Twitch (Japanese made).

Cheap but fairly good knives but Chinese made > Rough Rider. Forget about Schrade (all chinese made now that they went out of business and I believe purchased by United I think.) Forget about brands like Colt, Winchester, or S&W.

JShirley
March 26, 2013, 11:31 PM
22r is pretty much on the money. Browning and HK (Benchmade) are notable exceptions in firearms manufacturer-licensed knives.

hso
March 26, 2013, 11:32 PM
How is United Cutlery as far as quality goes?

Not worth serious consideration. Or put another way, close to crap.

22-rimfire
March 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
Benchmade are okay knives. Be selective. Remington knives are made by Bear & Son (US). They used to be made by Camillus until Camilus went under. I believe United bought the Camillus trademark too and they are Chinese made now.

I also don't particularly care for liner locks like JShirley.

Great Eastern knives are excellent overall. They sell under three brands. (They are my current favorite. Generally a bit more expensive than Case, but very well made knives.) Queen are good, but unless the new owner has changed things, you frequently have to work on a good edge from them as they come from the factory. Never really understood why they often came poorly sharpened.

Lots of pretty cost effective choices with fixed blades however. These are traditional single thread topics rather than a wandering into a discussion from "One knife to rule them all"....

In general, don't be afraid of Japanese made knives. They are overall very good.

Mora's are good. But I don't care for the laminated steel. Many people love them (cost vs quality kind of issue). They are inexpensive and hold an edge.

Frost Cutlery (US) is another one that are low quality. But they sell the heck out of their $8 > $12 knives.

TimboKhan
March 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
Add to that a Spyderco tenacious or persistence. Made in China, but the quality is excellent and prices are great. There is no reason to dive into the knife world with a fist full of money. There are plenty of good quality folders below $75 dollars that will provide a lifetime of service if properly cared for.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

mdauben
March 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
I can understand that. I have to say, though, that I have never had a liner-lock fail or seen one fail. Of course, I don't use my knives as prybars, splitting wedges, digging tools, screwdrivers, or any of the 101 other ways people think up to abuse (IMO) their knives. YMMV. ;)

JShirley
March 27, 2013, 12:57 PM
There should be no problem with quality liner-locks, but on an inexpensive knife especially, or in an emergency, a back-lock is stronger.

I've seen liner-locks on $11 knives. :scrutiny:

hso
March 27, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'd consider those to be "liner-lock-like" just because they're a cheap low quality pass at putting a "lock" in place. Heck, those things are more dangerous than no lock at all since they give the impression of nonexistent safety.

I've abused several knives, Spyderco's included, with real liner locks without any hint at failure so I disagree with the general idea that liner locks are a poor choice. A badly made knife will fail you in any number of ways and a poorly fitted back/mid/tail lock will fail just like a poor "liner lock" will. My one complaint about "good" liner locks is when they're designed to be too easy to get to so a person with a meaty hand can unlatch them when twisting.

JRH6856
March 27, 2013, 01:15 PM
The only locking blades that have folded on me under ordinary use have been liner locks. (twice, different knives).

Gordon
March 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
You guys have a different view of "one knife to rule them all" than I do.

JShirley
March 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hey, no way I could get away with carrying a large fixed blade every day. If you can and do, more power to you.

Gordon
March 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
Ok lets see those what ever you can carry high enders (as in "Rule them all"):banghead:

JimStC
March 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
In my opinion, fwiw, there is no one knife. This is an interesting thread not unlike the EDC thread. One knife for me would be a stout fixed blade, but my original post was the Spartan Blades Arkibis. Upon further reflection, if I could only have one knife to rely upon it would be a fighter as in my Randall Model 1 at 5" or perhaps the 7" which I also have.
Just some random thoughts....

Jim

Gordon
March 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
Or maybe my 5" Utilicat which is thin and very light.All three knives fit in this sheath I had made BTW
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/003-9.jpg:D
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/003-12.jpg

JimStC
March 27, 2013, 07:19 PM
Very nice Gordon.

Jim

River Wraith
March 27, 2013, 09:32 PM
Would a tomahawk trump a knife? I guess it wouldn't be a knife, but a blade weapon...

JShirley
March 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
Gordon,

I said what I would take, if I could only have one knife for everything: a Spyderco Manix 2 Black Lightweight. Many states specifically outlaw carrying "bowies" or double-edged blades.

Of course certain knives work better for some tasks than others! My Daily Kiri zips through cardboard. The Camp Defender will outchop the longer and heavier RTAC-2.
Some folks have to ask themselves where to start with a firearms battery, and the answer always depends on what they want most, and can afford. In a similar way, no matter what knives we think are neatest (Camp Defender is my favorite knife), I carry a Spyderco every day. On the other hand, someone who lived on the trail would probably want to start with a sturdy 3-5" fixed blade. Priorities.

John

SabbathWolf
March 27, 2013, 09:59 PM
This has gotten ridiculous. I'm wanting a folding knife with a lock blade that doesn't have anything that can break like switch. That's the first thing, then a fixed blade, and a tomahawk...and that's just to start. I guess I'll start with the folder, but I can see how this could get expensive. How is United Cutlery as far as quality goes?
This Ontario Land/Sea/Air knife has been a real trooper for a long time.
But, I do have a tomahawk too.
For a smaller folding blade, I just carry a Gerber multi-tool in the pouch on the knife sheath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/Spec-OpssheathwithOntarioKnife.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/003_zpsec36bbba.jpg

USAF_Vet
March 27, 2013, 11:07 PM
There should be no problem with quality liner-locks, but on an inexpensive knife especially, or in an emergency, a back-lock is stronger.

I've seen liner-locks on $11 knives. :scrutiny:
To be fair, I've seen spine locks on $10 knives.

For a folder, if I could have only one, it'd be a toss up between my Shrade (Buck 110 clone) which has been my EDC for awhile, and my Benchmade Barrage.

Fixed blade, probably my current project. I just roughed out a copy of the VRKT Folt's minimalist Bowie. I think I'm going to really like this little blade when I get done working on it.

lobo9er
March 27, 2013, 11:14 PM
MINERAL MOUTAIN HATCHET WORKS OR BUSSE
so maybe 2 knives to rule them all.

Or maybe 2 knife makers to rule
there are others but not rulers.

:)

JimStC
March 28, 2013, 06:46 AM
Wolf,
That looks like an ATAC hawk. I have a couple. One lives in my truck.

Jim

SabbathWolf
March 28, 2013, 07:43 AM
Wolf,
That looks like an ATAC hawk. I have a couple. One lives in my truck.

Jim
It's a LaGana VTAC. It's been really good. I use it around here all the time. Tough as nails.

JShirley
March 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
USAF Vet, my intended point was that it's easier to screw up a liner lock on a cheap knife than a back/spine lock.

JRH6856
March 28, 2013, 03:44 PM
USAF Vet, my intended point was that it's easier to screw up a liner lock on a cheap knife than a back/spine lock.

The liner lock on a cheap knife is often soft metal that wears quickly and becomes non functional. I have a couple that wore out in less than 6 months. OTOH, I have a Chinese made lock back I bought 10 years ago for 99cents. Still tight and secure (it even holds an edge).

(Yeah, I buy cheap knives sometimes just because I like the way they look...and they're cheap.)

Lee D
March 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
^^^^exactly why I don't buy cheap knives

JRH6856
March 28, 2013, 06:02 PM
^^^Oh well. If I buy 10 99 knives and only one of them turns out to be any good, I have a good $10 knife that I can carry, use, and not be overly concerned if it is damaged or lost. OTOH, if I bought a $100 knife, I would be tempted leave it at home most of the time because it is too valuable to risk.

JimStC
March 28, 2013, 06:29 PM
JRH,
And you have 9 knives that could have hurt you.

A knife "that is too valuable too risk"????? I don't get that concept at all. Just don't buy what you can't afford to lose. Or be prepared to lose a darn good knife. What is the point of tiptoeing through life to safely arrive at death? Get my point?
Owning an exceptional knife is a very good experience. Owning a bunch of cheap knives in hopes of getting a serviceable one is not at least to me.
Sorry Mods for the thread drift, although this thread has already drifted off the map.

Jim

JRH6856
March 28, 2013, 07:42 PM
Yes, Jim, I get your point. And I do own some very good knives. My EDC for years was a Buck 110. Now it is a Cold Steel Voyager or a Gerber LST. My favorite all time sheath knife is a Puma White Hunter that is over 40 years old and is irreplaceable (current ones don't match the quality IMHO and still list for over $300.) That one is, to me, too valuable to risk losing or damaging (the blades on those original ones were known to be somewhat brittle) so it doesn't get carried anymore.

Making a knife isn't rocket science but it does require consistent attention to detail. What makes good brands great is quality control. Cheap mass produced knives may have good materials but no QC in their assembly. So I do my own QC.

Any knife can hurt you if you aren't careful. The cheap ones that can hurt me get culled pretty quickly. The 9 out of 10 that break often do so because I am trying to break them and then I have a pretty good idea how much abuse the one that doesn't break can take. And then I have a knife I can keep in the truck or the toolbox and use without concern within the limits I am comfortable with.

Not everyone wants or has the time to do their own QC. It works for me.

hso
March 29, 2013, 12:14 AM
because it is too valuable to risk.

That doesn't sound reasonable to me. I've gone through the evolution from cheap to inexpensive to moderate to ... and it just doesn't make any sense at all to think about a knife as being "too valuable" to carry if you've chosen a knife that will do the job without any frills.

I carry a Sebenza because I've used Sebenzas in ways that can only be called abusive. I've also carried a lot of less expensive knives that I've abused what were perfectly good valuable knives, but that weren't cheap "1 in 10 were worth anything".

Spend money on a good reliable knife once and you'll be able to count to 10 without having to fumble your shoes off.

JRH6856
March 29, 2013, 12:24 AM
hso, did you read my last post? I have good reliable knives. All the knives I use are reliable or I would not use them. Some I pay for QC, others I do the QC myself. Either way, I get a good reliable knife.

But there are some knives that simply cost more and thus have more value than I would ever get out of them in utility. Especially if I can get equivalent utility at a lower price. And I can.

22-rimfire
March 29, 2013, 08:45 AM
But there are some knives that simply cost more and thus have more value than I would ever get out of them in utility. Especially if I can get equivalent utility at a lower price. And I can.

I can understand this and it is not an uncommon belief. I feel sort of the same way, sort of... This is slowly changing for me. It's a difficult hurtle to make when you like knives simply because you like knives.

If you can get the same utility out of a lower priced knife, why would you even bother buying the more expensive one to begin with? Answer > "You like knives and can afford it."

This whole discussion goes to why you choose certain knives and why you choose to use certain knives over others. For me, certainly cost or the value I associate with a knife is one of the factors. But is this really rational? What on earth are you going to do with a blade if you don't use it and what is to become of that blade as you grow older? Think about it. Does anyone actually care except you?

Slowly I am getting to the use it or don't buy it philosophy.

Lee D
March 29, 2013, 08:51 AM
would you buy 10 cheap guns hoping to get 1 good one? just like a gun, a knife is a tool and im a firm believer of buying good stuff one time and being done with it. I like to know my tools wont fail me when I need them RIGHT NOW!

JimStC
March 29, 2013, 09:07 AM
rimfire,
Very well said. It was the point I was trying to make, just not as clearly.....

Jim

22-rimfire
March 29, 2013, 09:46 AM
I really like knives and I appreciate a good knife with good steel. The funny thing is that I carry a $20-$25 SAK every single day. When others are brought in, the SAK is still in my pocket. I can't 'plain it.

Lee D
March 29, 2013, 09:55 AM
the SAK, one of mans greatest creations. I carry an allox farmer everyday and wouldn't leave the house without it

22-rimfire
March 29, 2013, 10:16 AM
For many, a SAK may in fact be the "One knife to rule them all" unless you are focused on a knife for self defense which is something I consider only as a fantasy when in most states you can carry a gun. A SAK is certainly not the best made knife in the world made out of the best materials.

JRH6856
March 29, 2013, 12:47 PM
SAK. Yeah, I've had 3 of them. Still have one.

Lee D, no, I wouldn't buy 10 cheap guns, but I have built my own rather then pay someone else to do it. Same with knives. I've built my own, so I feel comfortable doing my own QC control on the work of others. Since I retired, I find I have a lot more time to do things for myself. YMMV.

JShirley
March 29, 2013, 01:07 PM
What is the point of tiptoeing through life to safely arrive at death?

I have to say, this is one of my favorite things ever said here. :)

John

JimStC
March 29, 2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks John. Something to live by for me.

Jim

Sam1911
March 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
One Knife to rule them all?

Probably this one!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/OwensWeaponsmithing/Shivver/033013013_zpse5ce0c67.jpg (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8841328#post8841328)

I think Sauron picks his teeth with it.

:D Not exactly an "EDC" though.

Lee D
March 30, 2013, 11:40 AM
VERY cool^^^^....care to share some details?

JRH6856
March 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
What is the point of tiptoeing through life to safely arrive at death?

OTOH, Why rush it? (which some here apparently think I'm might be doing by buying cheap knives.) ;)

Sam1911
March 30, 2013, 01:36 PM
VERY cool^^^^....care to share some details?Click on the picture...

Nematocyst
April 1, 2013, 08:16 PM
If I was constrained to pocket carry, ESEE Izula II.

If I was living in the woods and dependent on what I own now, Spyderco Bushcraft.

If I was living in the woods and needed to be discrete in cities in my state, Battle Creek Knives Lytle Creek (on my list).

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/greenfordranger/2012-08-20145709.jpg

Hey, no way I could get away with carrying a large fixed blade every day. If you can and do, more power to you.One of the many reasons to live in the state where I live. ;)

Brian Williams
April 3, 2013, 11:02 AM
Folder, Emerson gents knife
fixed, THR knife

PLYSWKNVS
April 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
If I HAD to choose one knife to keep forever it would be the Micro-tech SOCOM. The action is unmatched, the blade steel ( S35VN ) is absolutely the best I've had in a blade, and the fit n finish is perfect. It's light yet large enough for anything. Easy to carry for a knife it's size and guaranteed forever. I have a lot of knives to choose from .... but my SOCOM is what I always go back to and it's my first choice for tough jobs.

If you enjoyed reading about "One Knife to Rule them all." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!