You know what I hate most about gun shows?

PDA

DMK
March 13, 2004, 06:31 PM
I went to the gunshow today and picked up a sweet little S&W 642 for a backup CCW. That's the good part! :cool:

However, on the way in there is a nice, friendly city policeman who asks if you have any loaded guns in your posession. Yes, of course I did and produced my Colt CCO from it's hiding spot so that he could strap my trigger and hold my loaded magazine for my safety. :rolleyes: He was real nice about it though and isn't the one at fault for the stupid law so that doesn't bother me.

However, every time I turned around, "Nice 1911, how much you want for it?", "Hey you sellin' that 1911?", "Whatcha want for that?", "Is that a Kimber?" ARRRG! It's my freakin' carry gun, it's not for sale! I finally bought a cheap mag pouch just to get a bag to put my Colt in and keep these folks from bothering me. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "You know what I hate most about gun shows?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
March 13, 2004, 06:34 PM
I had 2 offers today for my Kimber Pro Carry at the gunshow here no more than 10 ft from the zipper strip guy.

DMK
March 13, 2004, 06:38 PM
Yea, you know what I'm talking about Lennyjoe. Even in the middle of negotiating with the dealer for the little Smith, a guy interrupted us to inquire about my Colt! :rolleyes:

Sisco
March 13, 2004, 06:45 PM
Bought my son a Beretta NEOS at the show a couple of weeks ago, hadn't gotten more that 50' from the table where we bought it before I got my first "wanna sell that?"
It was still in the box!

BryanP
March 13, 2004, 07:48 PM
The only thing I hate about gun shows is that I don't have the wherewithal to show up with an empty U-Haul and leave with a full one. :D

mparris71
March 13, 2004, 08:19 PM
DMK was that the Asheville show? How was it? Other than being bothered about your CCW?

Snowdog
March 13, 2004, 08:29 PM
There was one in Kingsport as well (also Land of Sky).
Asheville's closer, but Asheville scares me.... http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/ymca.gif http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/contrib/edoom/SpiningDemon.gif http://goldrush.com/~herd/as-witch.gif http://207.44.245.200/forums/images/smilies/liberal.gif
I nearly went to the one in Kingsport but realized I'd probably end up buying something. :(

Sorry to hear of the troubles DMK, but it's good to hear the S&W found a good home as well.

The_Antibubba
March 13, 2004, 08:58 PM
Just pretend you are there to sell it, and name a figure three times what it is worth to you. :D

If they ask why it costs so much, tell it has "the switch"! :p

Nathanael_Greene
March 13, 2004, 09:16 PM
Last weekend I was carrying an empty backpack (hoping to fill it with ammo, etc., and guys kept bugging me.

"What you got?" one guy asked as he grabbed me by the arm. (Nothing, and even if I did, I wouldn't sell it to someone as rude as you.)

"Lookin' to sell that?" (No, unless you're paying top dollar for air.)

"What's in the bag?" (None of your goddam business.)

I know they're just looking to horse-trade, but it sure gets annoying.

Whatever happened to manners? Is it really so hard to say, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?"

JimJD
March 13, 2004, 09:30 PM
Hey, if y'aint gonna sell that CCW piece...
Ya got one of them chromed AK's with the switch?
:D :evil:

I joke, I joke!

El Cid
March 13, 2004, 09:38 PM
What I hate is some people use the gun shows as an excuse to parade around with their prized posession for everyone to see, but not for sale.

You ask, "how much you want for that" and they say, "uh, it's not for sale."

I'll never forget the guy in Tulsa, OK. Dressed all in black, Black Mini-i4, fake supressor, fake infared scope, walking around like he expected to take fire any minute.
I said, "Nice rifle". He said, without a smile, "Yeah". then turned and walked away swiftly.

:rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
March 13, 2004, 09:42 PM
I hate the prices way over M.S.R.P. most. Do they think I'm completely stupid?

DMK
March 13, 2004, 09:59 PM
DMK was that the Asheville show? How was it? Other than being bothered about your CCW? Yea, at the Civic Center.

It wasn't too bad for guns actually. There were lots of pistols, some reasonably priced. There were a bunch of SARs, ARs, a few folding Kel-Tecs, a few nice lever actions, quite a few Mosin Nagants that seemed reasonable. I was real surprised that there were only a few SKS. That was just the stuff I noticed, I was on a mission for a pocket gun. The ammo was all pricy, but it always seems to be at the LOS shows. There was also the usual overpriced accessories.

I'd say that it you have a vague idea of a firearm you want(like I did), it was good. There was a lot of selection and you could try a bunch "on for size". If you are looking for ammo, mags or cleaning supplies, you'll be wasting your time.

DMK
March 13, 2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear of the troubles DMK, but it's good to hear the S&W found a good home as well. Thanks Snowdog. I still haven't fired the little lightweight yet so there is the possibility it won't have a home for long. :p However, I'm really happy with the fit and finish. Good quality seems to be less common with S&W these days so maybe I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for being special. :D

Zach S
March 13, 2004, 11:43 PM
I dont do gunshows anymore. One of the reasons is that I didnt have a shirt saying "its not for sale," like it would help anyway. I dont like being crowded either. The hollywood gun handling gets to me too. I dont know if the gunshows have got worse over the years or if they gradually started sucking more as I learned more.

Paying 5 bucks to park and 6 to get in just aint worth it anymore.

A co-worker told me there was a gunshow this weekend, and my reply was "so?" Picked up my G17 yesturday, so I didnt really have the money to spend if I actually wanted to go anyway,

cool45auto
March 13, 2004, 11:57 PM
I hear ya!:D I had my SKS slung over my shoulder at the last gun show because I was looking for some stuff for it. I got all kinds of offers and questions. Now I paid too much for it in the first place and then redid the stock and cleaned it up so I'm not getting rid of it. Besides there were plenty still in cosmoline for real cheap on every other table.:p

Politically Incorrect
March 14, 2004, 10:07 AM
I was disappointed at the last gun show because I strung a heavy barrel DPMS AR-15 with scope across my shoulder and only a few people asked about it. By the time I walked around the place once, the gun was digging into my shoulder. Actually, it was the second time I had taken it to a gun show. The first I did get some looks, but no takers. I did appreciate someone mentioning that it appeared that it appeared that I took good care of it. I did sell it to a dealer for $50 less than I wanted for it, but I was itching for a M1 Carbine and figured he would sell it for $50-100 more.

And I love my Carbine I bought.

kernal_panic
March 14, 2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah i hate those guys they are a bunch of friken ghouls. once i walked in with a partially completed ar-15 inside a camo softsided gun case. mind you no one COULD SEE WHAT WAS INSIDE. 4 ghouls pounced at once. my answer was "F___ __F its not for sale and even if it was i wouldn't sell it to you!"

TechBrute
March 14, 2004, 08:32 PM
Everything is for sale. Quote them the price you'd take for it. I'll sell my Glock 23 for $1500, if anyone wants to buy it. Hell, I've got a matched set of Glocks 23 and 27 going for $3000 this weekend at Mesquite. :D

my answer was "F___ __F its not for sale and even if it was i wouldn't sell it to you!" :uhoh: :eek: :what:

deputy tom
March 14, 2004, 08:34 PM
Actually that's half of the fun of a gun show.I've had people ask to buy my watch at a show.The guy said "rolex or timex,wanna sell it?".I just laugh.Sometimes I can be convinced to sell just about anything.tom.:cool:

motorep
March 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
I would have welcomed some of that....I went to the Crossroads of the West Show in Denver this morning, cash in pocket, trade goods in bag. I got there about 9:20- the show opened at 9- many, many tables still covered up because the vendors weren't there yet. Of the ones that were there, the only ones who could be bothered to look up from the Sunday paper were: the guy that desperately wanted to clean my glasses, the Bircher-related bigots, and the Colorado State Shooting Association personnel- I already belong. Lots of overpriced ARs, lots of way overpriced mags, etc, lots of cheap knives, etc. After about an hour- after being swept countless times- by the vendors- and after watching one look down the barrel of a .45 then hold it while his buddy looked down the barrel- I left. The tables that had been covered when I arrived were still covered, I still had the$800 cash that I started out with, and a pristine Springfield 1911 that I had been willing to trade.
I'll try the Tanner show when it comes to town, that's the end of Crossroads for me.
ps/edit- I almost forgot the one bright spot in the whole deal: NO BEANIE BABIES!!!

TechBrute
March 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah, what's with the vendors that roll in there an hour and a half after the show starts?

WonderNine
March 14, 2004, 09:12 PM
I guess there are a ton of people packing including half the vendors at gunshows so I wouldn't be too concerned about going "unarmed" to one. Of course I don't like to leave a gun in a car though.

Lone_Gunman
March 14, 2004, 09:30 PM
If it was your CCW piece, then how did they see it?

Doesnt the first C stand for Concealed?

Zach S
March 14, 2004, 10:03 PM
If it was your CCW piece, then how did they see it? NC law prohibits CC anywhere that charges admission.

BJPARKER
March 14, 2004, 10:33 PM
Those Crossroads of the West gunshows, I'll definitely pass on in the future- we get them in SLC, and as habit will have it, I continued to go to them faithfully for the past year, even after the offerings there were consistantly dismal, and the entrance fee raised on some. I think some of it depends on the promoter, and what they charge for table renting etc. Besides, I've heard that the biggest majority of real deals and trades actually happens right before the opening, between the venders themselves.:confused: :(

kernal_panic
March 14, 2004, 10:48 PM
Everything is for sale

Maybe for you but not for me. I won't sell my 1st rifle or my 1st pistol. 1st rifle in an apache 22 i bought at k mart. 1st pistol is a makarov i got 3 years later.

AZLibertarian
March 15, 2004, 12:24 AM
Everything is for sale....I know exactly what you mean. Not related exactly to guns, but a couple of years ago, Mrs. AZLib insists that we hold a yard sale to get rid of some stuff. In my driveway is a piece-of-junk boat on a trailer that I have all of $1000 into. It wasn't for sale, but some guy asks the wife "How much for the boat?". She says "Its not for sale." He responds, "C'Mon, everything's for sale. How much?".

Her reply: "OK. The boat, motor and trailer are $5000." He gets mad, and says. "It's not worth anything near that much." And she said, "I know. But I also said it wasn't for sale. $5000--Take it or leave it."

I still have the boat. Its still a piece of junk....barely sea-worthy.

Patent Works
March 15, 2004, 12:25 PM
Where I live, it is not a criminal act to carry against the wishes of a private property owner. Of course, if one is lawfully asked to leave, and refuses, one becomes a tresspasser, and the law may become involved.

It's concealed. Just keep it that way.

ocabj
March 15, 2004, 01:46 PM
What I hate is some people use the gun shows as an excuse to parade around with their prized posession for everyone to see, but not for sale.

Hahaha. I know what you mean. Last show I went to some guy in BDU pants and a standard issue brown shirt was walking around with some pistol gripped monstrosity (didn't know what it was) in his hands like he was on sentry duty or something. I guess people want to walk around with a rifle and the gun show allows them to do it.

DMK
March 15, 2004, 02:00 PM
If it was your CCW piece, then how did they see it?

Doesnt the first C stand for Concealed? Where I live, it is not a criminal act to carry against the wishes of a private property owner. Of course, if one is lawfully asked to leave, and refuses, one becomes a tresspasser, and the law may become involved.

It's concealed. Just keep it that way.

[state law]

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html
A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed
handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.2, 14-269.3,
14-269.4, and 14-277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted
under G.S. 120-32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. ยง 922
or any other federal law, ... where notice that carrying a concealed
handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or
statement by the person in legal possession or control of the
premises. The person shall carry the permit together
with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a
concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer
that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed
handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall
display both the permit and the proper identification upon the
request of a law enforcement officer. [/state law]

I was specifically asked by an LEO whether I was carrying and this was on entry to a place where I should not be carrying concealed (although I did not pay admission yet). I presented my permit and weapon as directed by said official.

Eskimo Jim
March 15, 2004, 02:32 PM
I agree with you about gun shows.

I went to one this weekend and it was packed. My pet peeves about gun shows are:

1) 10,000 square feet of available room and they compress all the aisles down to an alley way width at best and leave at least 5000sf open.

2) Dealers that gab and ignore people interested in buying. They gab non-stop that I can't get in a "Excuse me, I'm interested in buying this ___"

3) people who block the already narrow aisle because they ran into somebody that they know and have to catch up on news. There's 5000sf of empty space over there, why don't you move over there.

4) People who shove and push their way to every table.

5) $3 to park, $8 to get in (coupon good for a dollar off brings it down to $7, what a bargain) then move through the show like cattle through cattle chutes.:fire:

6) The realixation that between what ever I thought that I was saving by buying something at the show rather than in a shop or online, I probably spent the savings on parking and admission. That's my error though.

7) overpriced items is right up there. Quite a few tables aren't anywhere near competative with another table in the next row.

8) Nazi stuff. How many times is this one guy going to haul around Hermann Goering's personal sterling silver set?

9) Dealers who recite as written in stone stuff that is outright wrong about a gun law. If you're going to sell something, make sure that you know the law first. Sure some laws are confusing and poorly written but some of what they were saying was just plain wrong. Couldn't a trade association sponser a lecture from a gun rights attorney to explain in layman's terms what various state and federal gun laws mean? Oh well, keep moving to another table.

I've already cut down on the number of shows that I attend. I think that that number is still decreasing.

I think that bargains aren't to be had at shows. I doubt that I save any money there. Finding a good used or collectible firearm seems tougher and tougher.

Interesting items at this show though, local Civil War re-enactors were recruiting for their artillery battary and sometimes the National Guard does the same thing. THis time the BATFE had a table set up.:confused:

When someone tries to buy something from me that I just bought, I chaulk that up to someone reinforcing my good taste:neener: :neener:

-Jim

TechBrute
March 15, 2004, 02:55 PM
One thing I like about the gun shows are the suckers. I bought a used Glock FTF at a show, then 30 minutes later, a guy offered to buy it from me for $50 more than I paid. I sold it to him and then went and bought a new one for $10 more than what he paid me. The used one only had one 10rd mag, so I actually came out ahead when you figure that I got 2 mags with the new gun. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "You know what I hate most about gun shows?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!