Any one had this happen

PDA

NRFJR
March 17, 2013, 12:43 PM
I just got a mod 111 savage in .338 lapua mag. Shot S&B 250 gr hps to sight it in 5 shots 1" + moa at 100 yds good to start with. Got some 250 gr Nosler gold partitions H1000 and started at 10% below starting load from hodgdon, and worked up from there, Now something that has never Hapened to me in 30 years of reloading when I reached the min load I got a stiff bolt lift the rifle has a 1 in 9" twist rate I do not think that should have anything to do with it But? Has any one encountered this situation before? Thanks in advance for any information and happy shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any one had this happen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clutch
March 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
What was the powder charge weight?

rcmodel
March 17, 2013, 12:57 PM
Well, I'm seeing load data from Hodgdon for a 250 grain Hornady SP, but none for a 250 grain Nosler Partition.

Not the same thing a tall.
The Nosler has a shorter ogive then the Hornady, more bearing surface, and higher bore friction then a conventional cup & core bullet.

Also, depending on what you used for the seating OAL?
You either had to seat shorter then the Hodgdon 3.550" OAL with the Hornady 250?
Or you are probably into the rifling leade with the Nosler.

If you did seat shorter then 3.550", it decreased case capacity because of the longer bullet.

rc

James2
March 17, 2013, 02:02 PM
One time in all my years of reloading I had a load for a 270 that I took from the starting slot in a book and it was too hot. I don't recall the details right now, but do recall my astonishment that a start load was too hot.

Clark
March 17, 2013, 02:14 PM
I do not have a 338 Lapua, but I do have a 338WM reamer, 338WM rifles, and lots and lots of 250 gr Nosler Gold partition 338 bullets.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=49766
With respect to stiff bolts, I had to pound the bolt handle open. Then I had to pound out the brass with a cleaning rod.

I have had a lot of stiff to lift bolt handles.
Generally I back off at least a 4% powder charge from that or any other negative event in a load work up, to find my final load [that I mass produce for my hunting trip].

scottishkat
March 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
sometimes with heavy magnum guns and light loads you can get pressure spikes. I havn't loaded the 338 lapua but this can happen in 257 wby and I would assume most heavy magnums are the same. I would not go below starting load data with a magnum rifle. I first heard this a few years ago in a phone conversation with Swift bullets. They recommended I not go below mid level loads to avoid. Good Luck with that rifle I hear they shoot real good.

NRFJR
March 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Sorry Guys, this should have said, below max load, for Hodgdon and Mid load, I used my Nosler #7 guide and the information from the insert in the bullets said to use data for Partition's every load 10 out of 10 did this at mid range (92 gr)

fguffey
March 19, 2013, 12:52 PM
March 17, 2013, 11:43 AM #1
NRFJR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a mod 111 savage in .338 lapua mag. Shot S&B 250 gr hps to sight it in 5 shots 1" + moa at 100 yds good to start with. Got some 250 gr Nosler gold partitions H1000 and started at 10% below starting load from hodgdon, and worked up from there, Now something that has never Hapened to me in 30 years of reloading when I reached the min load I got a stiff bolt lift the rifle has a 1 in 9" twist rate I do not think that should have anything to do with it But? Has any one encountered this situation before? Thanks in advance for any information and happy shooting.

NRFJR, “Now something that has never Happened to me in 30 years of reloading when I reached the min load I got a stiff bolt lift the rifle has a 1 in 9" twist rate I do not think that should have anything to do with it But?”

Reduced loads, cute, in my opinion. I noticed you made a correction when you said you went below minimum. Back to cute, I do not shoot reduced loads, I use the small/narrow window between minimum and maximum. I am the only reloader/shooter etc., that does not have an exemption to the rule if it can happen it will, there is a claim by many shooters/reloaders their pistol handled like a doll buggy and then suddenly and without warning the pistol was rendered scrap, after that comes the support group with “You musta had a double charged load”.

Back to more with less, in the big inning some thought should have been given to burning powder in a column was best, as in black powder, powder first then the bullet then pound the bullet (carefully), emphases on pound, if the bullet is not seated against the powder the powder is not in a column, meaning when ignited the spark flashes over the powder creating a larger flame front, again, I am sure there was a plan from the beginning to ignite the powder in a column, therefore, I want my powder stacked neatly against the primer as opposed to the powder lying in the case with an opening over the top, WHO KNOWS? what happens when the primer flashes over the powder and creates a long/wide flame front, again, to me, time is a factor, I want my powder column in the rear of the case and burn forward, again, I choose to load powder with a narrow window between minimum and maximum.

F. Guffey

fguffey
March 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
March 18, 2013, 12:05 PM #7
NRFJR

Posts: 6 Sorry Guys, this should have said, below max load, for Hodgdon and Mid load, I used my Nosler #7 guide and the information from the insert in the bullets said to use data for Partition's every load 10 out of 10 did this at mid range (92 gr)

NRFJR, “every load 10 out of 10 did this at mid range (92 gr” ? !, Again, I had a friend that was fired for hitting a low underpass, I thought that was unfair until it was explained to me hitting the underpass was one thing, backing up and hitting it again, got him fired, it was not a matter of inches, it was a matter of being 4’ to low. The first round you fired of the first of 10 caused hard bolt lift? After that nothing got better and the difficulty of raising the bolt continued for 9 more firings?

Long story, Bruce Hodgdon came to our house, a most meticulous man, my brother purchased Hodgdon powder, loaded up a few rounds and went to the river bank, 10 ft. high, he hammered and hammered etc., then fired another round, same think, he called the bullet company, they were too busy, he called the case manufacturer, he called Bruce Hodgdon, Bruce Hodgdon was setting in front of the house the next morning before my brother woke up. Bruce Hodgdon was a kind man, he did not ask my brother why he shot the rifle again after the near disastrous results of the first firing.

F. Guffey

nofishbob
March 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
To the OP:

I have the same rifle. My first and only shot so far stuck in the chamber.

Bullet was Sierra Gameking 215gr loaded just above starting load. I am not able to get the data right now on exact powder weight oal, etc.

I never expected it to stick, so I stopped to review data and dimensions.

The data I used looks good, so I loaded a few with starting loads of multiple powders to try again.

If it sticks the case with the starting loads, I guess I am out of ideas.

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Any one had this happen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!