LA Times opinion piece - angry men in the United States

PDA

herkyguy
March 17, 2013, 03:55 PM
"The typical patriot acts within his free-speech and 2nd Amendment rights, and in fact most patriot activity consists of venting steam by meeting with like-minded Neanderthals and firing off blog posts threatening civil war. "

- LA Times opinion piece

at least they call it an opinion piece and not actual journalism.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-patriot-groups-splc-report-20130308,0,2444361.story?track=rss

"The Southern Poverty Law Center, which has been tracking hate groups for 30 years, released its latest report on the growth of these organizations this week. Its findings were, to say the least, alarming. The center divides its subjects into militias, which are mostly groups of weekend warriors who train for combat against imaginary foes; hate groups, which target minorities; and "patriot" groups, whose beef is with the U.S. government."

"Since then, the patriot movement has been growing at a blistering pace, especially following the election of President Obama in 2008, according to the report. From just 149 groups in 2008, the number jumped to 512 in 2009 and has been rising sharply since. In 2012, it hit 1,360."

I do wonder how they define a "group"?? is THR one of these groups in their minds??

If you enjoyed reading about "LA Times opinion piece - angry men in the United States" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
r1derbike
March 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
That article was written by a journalist (anti) with blatant stupidity and subterfuge as his guidelines.

When speculation and idiocy cross paths, this is what you get in print.

Vern Humphrey
March 17, 2013, 04:14 PM
"The Southern Poverty Law Center, which has been tracking hate groups for 30 years, released its latest report on the growth of these organizations this week. Its findings were, to say the least, alarming. The center divides its subjects into militias, which are mostly groups of weekend warriors who train for combat against imaginary foes; hate groups, which target minorities; and "patriot" groups, whose beef is with the U.S. government."
The Southern Poverty Law Center meets all the criteria of a Hate Group.

Sam Cade
March 17, 2013, 04:22 PM
When speculation and idiocy cross paths, this is what you get in print.

Indeed.

In political jargon, useful idiot is a pejorative term for people perceived as propagandists for a cause whose goals they do not understand, and who are used cynically by the leaders of the cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

ThorinNNY
March 17, 2013, 04:30 PM
Vern Humphrey nailed it. SPLC is a hate group spewing hateful rhetoric!

nathan
March 17, 2013, 04:30 PM
We are all patriots who believe in the 2nd Amendment.

JRWhit
March 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
So is the word patriot being redefined here. As outlined by this piece a patriot is a radical nut job that wants civil war. I'm curious, they post a picture of protesters at the top of the article, are those suppose to be some of the hate mongers? Absolutely ridiculous, these people are severely overplaying there hand. I think they fail to realize just how bi-partisan 2nd A support is and are busy trying to paint all of them as hate filled militia groups. I believe this may be were we witness the far left loose the middle ground.

Akita1
March 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
A Feinstein minion. Remember this (right at 0:50)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4u6IGXMMk

OilyPablo
March 17, 2013, 04:41 PM
The typical patriot acts within his free-speech and 2nd Amendment rights...

Ponder that one. Deeply.

they are usually heavily armed......often motivated by religious zeal.
..........nearly all with an obsessive attachment to guns, who may represent a greater danger.....

.......which are mostly groups of weekend warriors ............... Further growth is a near certainty. .............some kind of serious attack is increasingly possible.

Yellow journalism much?

I scooped SPLC on the 9th:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1452891_Southern_Poverty_Law_Center.html

Highland Ranger
March 17, 2013, 04:51 PM
Only people reading that rag are those fond of smelling their own exhaust.

Journalism is dead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mljdeckard
March 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
And people wonder why no one takes print journalism seriously anymore.

JohnM
March 17, 2013, 04:55 PM
Pure yellow journalism, as bad as I've seen for a long time.

Sam Cade
March 17, 2013, 05:11 PM
Deleted. Miss most. Wrong thread. Tony Danza :-)

Coop45
March 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
Los Angeles Times...........there must be a lot of bird owners in California.

Vern Humphrey
March 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
So is the word patriot being redefined here. As outlined by this piece a patriot is a radical nut job that wants civil war.
The term "Patriot" is chartered by Congress to the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

SabbathWolf
March 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
I quit listening to all that stuff after DHS placed us vets on the list as potential terrorists.

Drail
March 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
We will never fix this country until people stop reading newspapers and watching TV. I've been trying to convince my mother to stop getting all of her news from television but I think she's too far gone. I thought breifly that the Internet might be of some help but quickly gave it up. People are just like children in our world today. They will believe anything you tell them. Unless it conflicts with Fox or CNN or MSNBC. Then they look at you like YOU are demented. They seem to be incapable of any deep thought.

GAF
March 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
Speaking to journalism like that and politicians who spout the same.

If I was a brain eating zombie in a country full of people like that I would starve to death.

Carl N. Brown
March 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
As an example of a past government project fed by speculation like the LA Times op-ed but actually citing SPLC:

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3578/www.fbi.gov/library/megiddo/megiddo.pdf

Project Megiddo the 2 Nov 1999 report (revised 31 Jan 2000) detailing FBI preparations on dealing with 500 millennial cults as Y2K approached actually includes a lot of the talking points used by the LA Times ed. Talk about recycling garbage!

Coop45
March 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Probably the reason there have been no zombie sightings in LA, NYC, DC.

Thermactor
March 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
"The typical patriot acts within his free-speech and 2nd Amendment rights, and in fact most patriot activity consists of venting steam by meeting with like-minded Neanderthals and firing off blog posts threatening civil war. "

- LA Times opinion piece

at least they call it an opinion piece and not actual journalism.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...tory?track=rss
That article is the foulest, vilest, most disgusting hate screed I have ever read.

kgpcr
March 17, 2013, 07:39 PM
I am a Neanderthal! Most Marines are. I am also a Patriot. I adore the constitution. Deal with it you liberal idiots but dont come to me when your little world falls apart. We can do fine without you but you cant live without us.

Cosmoline
March 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
The Southern Poverty Law Center is neither southern nor a poverty law center. It's a cabal of sleazebag lawyers who found a way to prolong their funding beyond the 70's.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 17, 2013, 07:58 PM
The SPLC released a report defining "pick-up artists" as a hate group. If they had any credibility, it is gone now.

Carl N. Brown
March 17, 2013, 08:08 PM
Typical bigotry and stereotypying of Neanderthals by snotty CroMagnons.

All we know about Neanderthals is the bad-mouthing by the CroMagnons who killed them all off. Kinda like the coal company's history of the Ludlow and Matewan massacres.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-patriot-groups-splc-report-20130308,0,2444361.story
"Peril from 'patriots': The U.S. needs to keep a close watch on the growing threat of home-grown extremist groups", LA Times, 8 Mar 2013.

-------------------------------------------
LATimes on line Poll (7:07 EDT 17 Mar 2013)
Should we worry about "patriot" groups?
Yes 5% (336 votes)
No 95% (6,647 votes)
-------------------------------------------

I voted no. I was tempted to vote be afraid, be very afraid, hide under your bed to 2099. But I relented.

... firing off blog posts threatening civil war.
When posters at DU talked about civil war during the 2004 elections, no body called orange alert.

feedthehogs
March 18, 2013, 06:38 AM
When patriots exercise their constitutional rights, splc labels them terrorists along with their yellow news outlets.

Nothing new. Just means these freedom hating slugs are running scared.

Keep up the pressure.

bikerdoc
March 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
My credentials as a patriot are preferable to theirs.

Bunch of sissy, hand wringing, opportunists.

alsaqr
March 18, 2013, 08:16 AM

- LA Times opinion piece

Our local rag, The Lawton Constitution (Constipation) reprinted this article. i cancelled my subscription.

Blackstone
March 18, 2013, 08:26 AM
Some scary language being used there

GAF
March 18, 2013, 09:16 AM
The L.A. Times has freedom of speech and can put opinions in their paper.

We have the same right to do so and I see that happening here.

The problem is that some people will just agree with that opinion and give it no further thought. They will not investigate to see if said words are worthy of being spread across the land.

There are Ditto Heads on both sides of the fence . The only way to counter this kind BS is with the truth.

Trent
March 18, 2013, 10:47 AM
Good grief. I clicked on the link and vile rhetoric filled my screen like so much puke.

That's a nasty little article.

happygeek
March 19, 2013, 01:25 PM
Serious question: since those joining the military swear to

support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

are they considered "dangerous, extremist, Patriots" by the SPLC? Coming soon to a newspaper near you, the SPLC discovers a group of extremists roughly a million strong, and armed with automatic rifles, crew serve machine guns, artillery, and other dangerous weapons of war! :eek:

Vern Humphrey
March 19, 2013, 01:51 PM
Believe me, the SPLC and their ilk loathe the military -- as Bill Clinton said.

If you enjoyed reading about "LA Times opinion piece - angry men in the United States" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!