Good dual-purpose weapon

PDA

sam091990
March 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi, I am getting an Armed Security License (already took the class and qualified) in Florida and I'd like help choosing a good service weapon. I also just got a concealed carry license, so I'd like it to be a dual purpose (service and concealed) one. Now about the requirements; It must be 9mm (because that is what I qualified with), it must have a capacity of at least 10 but no more than 15 rds (chamber load and mag combined), and it must be DAO (do not like DA/SA). Now some info about me; I am a 5' 7 1/2", weigh about 115 (W/O clothing, about 117 with), and I am a relatively small framed person (waist of 30 in and chest of like 34 in). My budget is gonna be $400-$600. Any help would be appreciated. Also if you could recommend a concealed carry holster type for me I'd be happy.

Thank You
Sam091990

If you enjoyed reading about "Good dual-purpose weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
March 17, 2013, 09:07 PM
Why the mag limit?

CZ75B DAO

Jim Watson
March 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
S&W M&P 9 Compact.
12 rounds.

I would also recommend a Glock 19 but it has a 15 round magazine and you seem not trusted with the dangerous 16th shot in the chamber.

F-111 John
March 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'd second the Glock 19, and purchase a few California-style 10 round magazines (http://www.glockstore.com/parts-accessories/mag-parts-extensions/low-capacity-glock-factory-magazines)for work use, and keep the 15 rounders for off duty use.

As for the off duty holster, I'd recommend an Old Faithful Holsters "Quick Assemble Kit". (http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/gun-holster-stage-3-forward-cant/)

Shawn Dodson
March 17, 2013, 10:01 PM
I CCW'd a Glock 19 for several years when I lived in Seattle and it worked well for me.

I moved to Florida (Titusville) in 2007 and I quickly encountered issues with CCW and the Glock 19 - specifically it's weight and bulk when wearing light-weight fabrics in hot weather. Nowadays I occasionally CCW the Glock 19. I mostly CCW a Kahr PM9.

I use the Milt Sparks leather Executive's Companion holster for all my CCW pistols, except a Seecamp .32.

Thompsoncustom
March 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
and it must be DAO Well that rules out all glocks doesn't it? Since there not a DAO but a safe action? I would think any striker firing that is somewhat cocked and doesn't have the ability for second strike would be out.

I would say go CZ 75 DAO

Girodin
March 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
A question about the mag limit. Is it that the magazine itself simply cannot accept more than 14 rounds. I ask because many knowledgeable people will recommend carrying a glock mag a round down. That means a G19 would fit your criteria (as would a number of other similar striker fired guns). Its magazines can accept 15 rounds but if carried a round down they hold 14.

A second question, more for my own education than for making a recommendation, but what is the basis for the capacity limit? Is this a restriction of state, a company, or just a personal thing? Thanks.

wow6599
March 18, 2013, 12:01 AM
weigh about 115 (W/O clothing, about 117 with)

So 2lbs of clothing ...... does this count footwear?

Indifferent
March 18, 2013, 12:31 AM
CZ is a nice piece.

KenW.
March 18, 2013, 12:49 AM
That leaves out the Springfield XD as well. Kind of restrictive for a rent-a-cop I think...

MedWheeler
March 18, 2013, 07:31 AM
You're going to find few, if any, hammer-fired pistols that are DAO, large enough for service-carry, small enough for concealed-carry, and hold at least ten rounds. If you consider striker-fired pistols with trigger actions that mimic DAO, the Ruger SR9c comes to mind. The SR9 may be more service-oriented but, due to your smaller build, may be a bit bulky for concealed carry, especially here in Florida. If you're restricted in magazine capacity (never heard of that rule here), you would need to either download the SR9's 17-round magazine by two rounds, fit it with a block to reduce its capacity, or order the gun with the California-compliant 10-round one.

Although this site is a few years old, there is some good, one-stop review-reading here: www.best9mm.com.

bannockburn
March 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
Well if you want a nice dual purpose DAO 9mm. then you might want to look for a S&W Third Generation auto. These were all metal guns with either steel or aluminum alloy frames. I believe in the compact models magazine capacity was typically around 12 or 13 rounds.

BCRider
March 18, 2013, 02:43 PM
I'd say that somone your size and weight is going to find it a bit tough to conceal carry anything which would serve well as a duty firearm. You could look into some of the compact versions of the bigger duty size guns but in the end I suspect you'll find that they are too compact for duty work and still too bulky to conceal easily when in lighter warm weather wear.

Of the smaller full size guns I've shot the Ruger SR9 seems to be one which I think would fit smaller hands well. Another is the M&P with the small size back strap filler.

From there you would want to look at the compact versions of such guns. I can't comment on those since they are not allowed to be imported up into Canada. But from looking at them and realizing that they are simply shorter of slide and grip frame but still have the full sectional thickness of their parent guns I think you'll see what I mean about not being good for CCW for someone as small and light as you are.

TarDevil
March 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
The SCCY CPX-2 is the only DAO 10 round 9mm I can think of in a concealable size, but might be small for service.

Actually, I'm thinking something's gotta give in the requirement specs.

jim243
March 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Now some info about me; I am a 5' 7 1/2", weigh about 115 (W/O clothing, about 117 with), and I am a relatively small framed person (waist of 30 in and chest of like 34 in).

Sam, is that for Samantha?? The other question is are you going to be Uniformed or Plain Clothes security. That would make a difference.

Jim

Welcome to the High Road by the way.

March 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
The G26 seems to be ideal for what the OP is looking for.

No4Mk1*
March 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
Most guns people quote as being "DAO" these days are usually mostly cocked all the time. All striker fired guns fit this "mostly cocked" group.

I believe the California model of the Taurus PT-111 pro is true DAO. The 10 round magazines may be replaced with 12 rounders.

MedWheeler
March 18, 2013, 10:18 PM
Most guns people quote as being "DAO" these days are usually mostly cocked all the time. All striker fired guns fit this "mostly cocked" group.

As do some of the smaller hammer-fired concealed-carry pieces, such as the Kel-Tec pistols (except the P11), the Diamondback series, and the SCCY guns.

Frank44
March 18, 2013, 10:32 PM
I think the Ruger SR9c would work out very nicely for you.

guyfromohio
March 18, 2013, 10:35 PM
Used Sig 229 DAK

TennJed
March 18, 2013, 10:49 PM
Sig P250 compact. It has quite possibly the best DAO trigger I have ever felt. The compact (not subcompact) is a perfect dual size IMHO and is hammer fired.

Also might look at the Beretta storm compact. I know they make a DAO in full size and I think they do in compact also

Ehtereon11B
March 19, 2013, 01:01 AM
Reading your needs and wants all I could think of is a SIG 2022 in 9mm. Sure it is a 15+1 but your thumb can make that 14+1.

tarosean
March 19, 2013, 01:55 AM
If it wasn't for your DAO requirement.. A Hi Power pretty much nails all your other requirements. With that said though, there was a couple DAO versions that were not technically BHP's as they had very different internal workings/parts. BDAO and BDM are probably the easiest to find.

ku4hx
March 19, 2013, 11:43 AM
Being the old curmudgeon I am, and considering no reply from the OP in two days, I'm beginning to suspect this is trolling.

5' 7.5", 115#, 34" chest and soon to be "Armed Security"? I guess that makes sense for Laura Croft or China White.

That's my exact height and when I was in the 9th grade I weighed 127# fully clothed. I was a skinny kid. I can tell you why the magazine limit is so strict ... has to do with the ability to pick it up when loaded.

paravil
March 19, 2013, 11:55 AM
Sig P250 compact. It has quite possibly the best DAO trigger I have ever felt. The compact (not subcompact) is a perfect dual size IMHO and is hammer fired.

I second this. My brother has the P250 in .40. Fine gun: perfect size, great trigger, accurate, good price point.

MedWheeler
March 19, 2013, 06:57 PM
ku4hx, I was the same way. Had to lie and pad myself by a few pounds to get in the Army. Oh, to have that problem now..

Also, we don't know if the OP is a female or not.

Pops 1
March 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
The Ruger SR9c would be great.

easyg
March 20, 2013, 01:06 PM
Yep, the Ruger SR9c would fit the bill perfectly....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7193.jpg

marv
March 20, 2013, 07:57 PM
KelTec P11. Double action only with second strike capability. 10rd mag and +2 and +5 baseplates are available.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good dual-purpose weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!