How to takedown SKS without scratching?

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
March 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
How do you flip the lever to remove the gas tube on an SKS without scratching the sight block? I usually have to use something to pry it upward, but it typically ends up scratching.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to takedown SKS without scratching?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mookiie
March 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Possibly a piece of duck tape? Or maybe electrical tape? My best guesses.

Vaarok
March 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
It's a Soviet designed rifle. Every soviet designed rifle has a scribe line on the right side. My SKSes, my DP-28, SVD, my AKs.

wally
March 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
Scratches on an SKS or AK are kinda like worrying that you got mud on your pig :)

Jackal
March 18, 2013, 01:30 AM
You scratch it. Thats how its made, kinda like the safety on an AK.

chicharrones
March 18, 2013, 08:56 AM
The only way I know of not to scratch it is to not take off the gas tube. Which means no cleaning, so no shooting.

Roadking Rider
March 18, 2013, 09:45 AM
Good Grief man it's a old Battle rifle, it's meant to get abused and dinged. It's not like it's and old Colt Peace Maker in pristine condition. Shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it, and don't worry about things that do not matter.

mljdeckard
March 18, 2013, 09:49 AM
Um yeah. Mine isn't a museum piece. I bought it specifically to have a 'throw across the handlebars and drag through the sagebrush and clean it when I feel like it' gun. Scratch it? I'm about to Duracoat it.

DPris
March 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
The design involves an inherent scratch.
It's not jewelery, don't worry about it.
And if you try to bend it so it has less tension & less of a scratch, you risk it moving under repeated recoil, which could be very un-good.

The gun was built for mud & blood, trying to keep it "pretty" is pointless. :)
Otherwise, use the cleaning tool body as the prybar it also is, or a pair of pliers to grip the tab, to avoid additional scratching around the lever.
Denis

Steel Horse Rider
March 18, 2013, 10:48 PM
Go to your nearest autoparts store and buy the cheapest Chinese made leaf type feeler guage you can find. Slide the .003 blade under the lever and then use a bullet point, a small screw driver, or an awl to slide the lever up without scratching the finish on the rifle. You can probably further preserve it by leaving it apart.

Scooter22
March 18, 2013, 10:51 PM
Use a sharpie marker to cover the scratch.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to takedown SKS without scratching?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!