AR15 Recoil Buffer/Spring Options

PDA

3GunEric
March 17, 2013, 09:54 PM
Have been shooting a 20" Colt HBAR in 3Gun. Yes I know it is heavy, has the permanent carry handle, and military A2 flash hider but I am sticking with it for a number of reasons.

Have upgraded w/ Timney trigger and Magpul UBR stock and Burris MTAC 1X4.

What suggestions regarding recoil buffers/springs to cut down on muzzle rise and faster follow-up shots. Since I added UBR it now has a "carbine" buffer/spring. The current buffer is a low cost (Cheap) one that came with a stock for another project.

Recap: What buffer will be best for improved 3Gun performance?

I look forward to any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Recoil Buffer/Spring Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 17, 2013, 10:05 PM
and military A2 flash hiderA good tunable Comp on the front end will do much more good than a buffer / spring change.

You have to be able to clock the comp to hold the muzzle down & in position with your individual hold and ammo recoil level.

(Assuming the spring & buffer are even close to right in the first place.)

rc

3GunEric
March 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
OK Good Point rcmodel - A whole new series of questions come to mind.

1. How difficult to remove the A2 flash hider that was installed by Colt 19 years ago.
2. How do I know what the threading is? I see all kinds of references out there.
3. Which comp is the best?
4. What is involved in installing new comp?

allaroundhunter
March 18, 2013, 12:56 AM
OK Good Point rcmodel - A whole new series of questions come to mind.

1. How difficult to remove the A2 flash hider that was installed by Colt 19 years ago.
2. How do I know what the threading is? I see all kinds of references out there.
3. Which comp is the best?
4. What is involved in installing new comp?

1. - 2. If you don't have the correct tools and a vice, it is easier to take it to a gunsmith.

3. A JP is one of the better brakes out there, and it will do wonders for you:

http://www.nokick.com/JP_Tactical_Compensator_Black_223_cal_750_barrel_p/jptre-2.htm

No, they don't come cheap, but they are worth it if you are wanting fast and accurate follow-up shots.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/43p7r.2eajq/v/vspfiles/photos/JPTRE-2-2T.jpg

4. To correctly install a new brake you need a crush washer and some spacers to time the brake correctly, and a vice to hold the gun still while you do it... Or take it to a gunsmith if you take the gun there to have the A2 flash hider removed.

3GunEric
March 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Still looking for info on carbine buffers and recoil springs to upgrade my AR. Any experience out there on the many after-market buffers out there?

3GunEric
March 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
For shooters with heavier barrels and who are not concerned with the IPSC/3-gun 1" diameter requirement, this gives you the ultimate in recoil control. :fire:

waktasz
March 18, 2013, 03:25 PM
The SJC Titan and the Benny Hill Rolling Thunder are the best comps out there.

allaroundhunter
March 18, 2013, 03:45 PM
Sorry that was my bad, I was looking for the 3-gun legal JP Brake and didn't notice that this was their slightly larger comp...

Edited my earlier post :o

tarakian
March 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
A few of my friends have had good results with Buffertech buffers. (http://www.buffertech.com/Hydraulic-Buffers-C42.aspx)

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Recoil Buffer/Spring Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!