Pocket 9mm: Beretta BU-9 Nano or Ruger LC9?

PDA

js8588
March 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
I'm looking at both as my next handgun purchase. Can't be sure when LC9s will become available again (seems production slowed/stopped to accomodate the LC380 introduction) but I have seen the Berettas available on Buds and a few other sites.

The Beretta is a bit more costly and I sacrifice carrying a round (6+1 vs 7+1) but, on the other hand, it's available now (even if 9mm ammo is not).

I've gotten to fondle a Beretta Tomcat, PX4 Subcompact, and a 22LR and all were great pointers and have reliable reviews from their owner.

I looked at LC9s last year but stupidly, put off the purchase til they disappeared from the market!

Wait for the LC9 or go with the Beretta?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket 9mm: Beretta BU-9 Nano or Ruger LC9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CNobbe
March 18, 2013, 12:37 AM
Tough call, I don't care for guns that dont have slide stops, but the Nano I tried was a smooth shooting gun.

bannockburn
March 18, 2013, 07:13 AM
js8588

Between the two I probably would go with the Beretta Nano. I have tried both guns and found the Nano to be slightly more ergonomic and the better handling pistol over the LC9.
Another sub-compact 9mm. you might want to consider, though it is a bit more expensive, is the Kahr PM9. To me it is a natural pointer and it does have a slide stop.

grptelli
March 18, 2013, 09:22 AM
Shot both side x side a few months ago. Both are good guns and would be a great ccw. Question is do you want a slide safety or not. Lc9 has the safety. I shot the lc9 better, but I think I did because I have shot the lc9 more and the nano was a rental.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

C0untZer0
March 18, 2013, 10:09 AM
Have you tried to put either of those in your pocket and take them out?

In a pair of normal jeans? Cotton Dockers / Business casual or church clothes?

js8588
March 18, 2013, 10:47 AM
"Have you tried to put either of those in your pocket and take them out?"

I have done with the Ruger, which is the -slightly- larger gun. It was no problem so I should be ok with the Beretta.

"Another sub-compact 9mm. you might want to consider, though it is a bit more expensive, is the Kahr PM9."

Very nice gun and, as you said, a great pointer...which is why a solid steel Kahr Mk9 Elite is on my longer term purchase list!

dbp
March 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
Have you tried to put either of those in your pocket and take them out?

In a pair of normal jeans? Cotton Dockers / Business casual or church clothes?
I own a Nano and have carried in the pocket of jeans, khakis,and dress slacks. No problem in any of these pant types.

WYO
March 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
I've tried the Nano in jeans pockets and do not view it as optimal because of the blocky rear of the slide. It is not like a rounded hump on a S&W centennial revolver that is totally snag free. You really have to watch it on the draw with the Nano to be smooth. I can't speak for the Ruger other than to say that I really don't like mechanical thumb safeties on DA or DA/SA guns. Sure, I can leave it off, but it is one more thing to goof up.

The_Armed_Therapist
March 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
I'd say Ruger has the edge in the reliability market, but that the Nano has an edge in style. I'd probably be trying to talk myself into the Nano, but would ultimately pick the LC9.

js8588
March 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
I'm inclined to wait for the Ruger but I'll see if anyone here changes my mind. Perhaps I'll just backorder it from Buds and have done with it!

weblance
March 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
I have 2 LC9s. There is a 22 Long Rifle conversion in the works from Twisted Industries, and Ruger has announced a 9 round extended magazine for the LC9. Just some info that might help.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/TI_LC9_22kit_6029web_zps57c8082c.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/TI_LC9_22kit_ammo_6039web_zps5923fb65.jpg

TarDevil
March 18, 2013, 06:25 PM
Are you dead set on those two? My choice in this genre would be the Sig P290.

js8588
March 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Only reason I discounted the Sig is the price point puts it in PM9 territory. STRONGLY leaning in the direction of waiting on the LC9 but still open to be convinced otherwise. Worst case, I just aquire new, heretofore unpossessed firearm knowledge (or a new item for my "wish list")!

Pud
March 18, 2013, 10:12 PM
My SO has a LC9, which she carries...and she loves it(she shoots it pretty good too). :D
I prefer and carry a SR9c, IWB- it is just fine for me.
We have had nothing but great firearms from Ruger, (own 4 of them) so my vote is for the LC9.
PUD

TarDevil
March 18, 2013, 10:17 PM
Only reason I discounted the Sig is the price point puts it in PM9 territory.
I can find the 290 rather easily for around $525.00.

hariph creek
March 20, 2013, 09:17 AM
I really like my Sig P290RS. Pocket carry, IWB, Null USH-X, all work remarkably well.
Don't remember the price? But, it was under $500. Came with the laser, too. Which I sold right away, thus further defraying cost? Plus, it comes standard with very good night sights.
Sig mishandled the initial release of these. Makes it kind of a "sleeper." It may still be easy to find? Of course, with all the craziness right now, maybe not?

Of the two you mention? NANO.

ETA: Really, they're all good. Handle them, shoot them, if you can. Pick the one you like.

M2 Carbine
March 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
I haven't shot the Nano.

Bottom line, the LC9 is a favorite gun.

I, and seven other people, have shot my first LC9 over 1,800 trouble free rounds.
I shot over a thousand rounds the first eight days I had the gun.
I shot it yesterday.

It has a long trigger pull to get used to but that takes only a few minutes.

I liked my first LC9 so much I bought a spare and yesterday I bought a third one.

Yesterday the local gun store got in four LC9-NRA camo models. Three were sold within minutes of unpacking them. I bought one.:)
I suspect the fourth gun will be sold in a day or two. If not I may buy it.

The gun is accurate and with a little practice, easy to hit with, even shooting fast with the long trigger pull.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC910yardsslowfireWWBfiring.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC97yardsfastfiring.jpg

52 yards standing.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC952imissyardtarget.jpg

WRGADog
March 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
I have owned my Nano ~one year and pocket carry frequently using a DeSantis Nemisis holster. The gun has performed perfectly, is accurate, and easy to maintain. The only change I would make is to reduce the Nano's weight to that of the PM9. I put night sights on mine, and bought a couple of 8 round mags, and a belt holster from Beretta. Very well designed gun, and I particularly like the fact that you can change to night sights without a sight pusher. You just use the Allen wrench Beretta supplies when you buy the sights from Beretta.

VAhuntr
March 20, 2013, 11:15 PM
My wife carries a LC9 and I'm very surprised with its accuracy. Despite having such a long trigger pull and a terrible trigger reset, it is very easy to shoot accurately. I find it easier to shoot than my M&P Shield.

DrDeFab
March 21, 2013, 06:06 AM
LC9. But definitely do this: LC9 Trigger System Upgrade (http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/)

js8588
April 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
Found a Beretta PX4 Subcompact at a price that was too good to pass up ($419) at one of my LGS. Have it on layaway and will do a post on the whole buying experience when I get her home.

An LC9 is still on my radar, but the price was right so this comes first!

Highland Ranger
April 21, 2013, 05:56 PM
I recently asked a similar question: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=713177

Went with the Nano and Boberg . . . .

js8588
April 21, 2013, 07:17 PM
I have a buddy who has the Boburg and it's been on the buggy side for him. Hopefully your experience will be better!

js8588
August 4, 2013, 07:28 AM
Just had the opportunity to fondle a Sig 938 at my LGS when I had them do an FFL transfer for the 300 Win Mag Laminate Stainless M70 Alaskan I ordered from buds. Perfect. Another "must have" for the list. Gorgeous gun. Loved the ergonomics.

FireInCairo
August 7, 2013, 11:13 PM
I've owned both, and currently own a Nano. There are pros and cons. I think the LC9 has a nicer trigger, and is darn accurate to boot. The Nano appears to be made better, and has the option of reversing the mag release. It doesn't quite have as nice a trigger, but it's still serviceable. I will keep the Nano because I feel it's sturdier build quality.

snooperman
August 8, 2013, 04:22 PM
My wife bought a Nano at a gun show and I like the fact that it is very smooth to draw from a holster. Nothing sticks out. That said , I find it a little heavy loaded -up for pocket carry but since my wife does not carry it that way , the extra weight allows a very soft recoil. For pocket carry, I like the PM9.

onthehunt
August 9, 2013, 10:59 AM
LC9...

gym
August 10, 2013, 12:38 AM
Nano, the LC9 trigger has so much wobble it's really annoying. They made I that way to prevent seizing, "according to them", I put the RTK trigger by Galloway and wasted more money on it. It then started to FTF and the paper clip, or trigger spring slid off the frame every 2 or 3 rounds. Never again, it shot ok but the wobble made me crazy
The Nano is just getting started with accessories, in a few months you will be able to get even more shades of color plus a 40 and maybe a 45 are rumored to be coming.

StrutStopper
August 10, 2013, 12:48 AM
The only issue I have had with my LC9 is that it is picky on some of the ammo I've used. It functions well with Hornady Critical Defense so I'm good. The edges are nice and round to prevent hanging up if you pocket carry. It is a bit large, but I have pocket carried with no problems using a desantis nemesis holster. I typically carry IWB though.

EOD Guy in VA
August 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
Check out the SIG P290RS before you decide.

WRGADog
August 19, 2013, 08:28 PM
I own a number of small 9mm pistols Nano, PM9, PPS, and Solo. The easiest to pocket carry is the Solo, followed in order by the PM9, Nano, and PPS. I know nothing about Ruger pistols. My Nano is a great gun and has performed flawlessly using either 124 grain JHP or 147 grain JHP. If you shoot 115 grain range ammo (WWB) you may experience an occasional FTF or FTE, but the gun will work perfectly with personal defense ammo. I have owned the gun since immediately after its introduction by Beretta. The gun is accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. Beretta designed the gun so you can add accessories, such as night sights, without assistance from a gunsmith. All in all the Nano is a great CC self defense gun.

gym
August 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
If you find your guns heavy for pocket carry, try the 50 grain, "Liberty Civil defense", ammo, it will cut your mag weight in half. I switched my main mag to this stuff, "weapons world" usually has it, and it is 2000fps stuff. I have read all I could find on it and it works well according to all reports. It just weighs half or 1/3 as much. Makes your gun very lightweight.

Cokeman
August 20, 2013, 04:41 PM
And costs?

batmann
August 22, 2013, 08:48 AM
I faced the same choice except mine was between the Ruger and a Kel-Tec PF9.
I found the Ruger a little bulky compared the the PF9 and I really hate the 'loaded chamber indicator' sticking up.
I bought the Kel-Tec because it fit my needs better for a light, thin and reliable carry pistol. I know that many don't care for the PF9, but mine has mine has been 100% and it is so light that you can almost forget you have it with you.
Yes, the Ruger has a better finish and, by all accounts is a fine pistol, but I went with the pistol the fit my needs better.

horsemen61
August 22, 2013, 08:51 AM
I have shot the lc9 with and without the laser and I have to say for a pocket nine it was not a bad gun to shoot I still prefer my glock 19 but that don't pocket so well :evil: I have no experience with the nano

Tomac
August 22, 2013, 09:06 AM
Another vote to check out the SIG P290RS.
Tomac

henschman
August 22, 2013, 06:36 PM
You really owe it to yourself to look at the Kahr CM9 if you are wanting a pocket 9. It is the smallest of the breed, and probably has the best trigger... certainly better than the ones you mentioned. It is a less expensive variant of the PM9 that some have mentioned in this thread. Personally, I shoot as well with mine as I do a full size.

Oxidation
August 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
I bought an LC9 for the SO to carry, but I find myself carrying it frequently. Don't have anything negative to say about it. I use the pinky magazine extension, and am fairly accurate with it out to 25yds standing.

gym
August 23, 2013, 11:51 AM
The object is to find a reliable gun, in 9mm, with a great trigger, that is small enough to carry comfortably, and that fires every time. It may be any of the guns mentioned, it's up to the buyer to decide. the trick is not to have to buy all of them to find out which one works best for you.
Also I must have Night sights, or a laser in my EDC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket 9mm: Beretta BU-9 Nano or Ruger LC9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!