How often do you have to replace parts on your guns?

PDA

gundir
March 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
Hi folks, I've got a general question here.

Assuming that you have owned one or more firearms for at least one year that has seen regular use, how often have you had to replace parts on it? I'd prefer answers to be in the form of: # parts / time interval.

For me personally, so far it's been: 0 / 3 years

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you have to replace parts on your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
Other then recoil springs every few thousand rounds on auto pistols?

Never.

I have Colt & S&W revolvers older then dirt, & Winchester rifles & Browning shotguns that have never needed a part replaced.

Quality guns just don't break, hardly ever.

rc

Liberty1776
March 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
what he said...^.

even on my trap guns (which used to get LOTS of use) the only things I've ever replaced were springs (maintenance/preventative) on an 1100 but I did actually break a firing pin spring on a Model 12 that was very old...

788Ham
March 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
It really depends on how thorough you clean your weapon, and how often you do the cleaning. Dirt, grime will be your biggest enemy, plus not oiling, lubricating those moving parts or inside the revolver. Use common sense and check on these things more often.

gundir
March 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks all for the responses so far. I was looking to gather some perspective on recent DHS parts order:Is there any reasonable explanation for these parts orders, first from Sig Sauer, now from H&K? Is this just a way for DHS to buy all the “parts” for guns, and them assemble them into complete guns, without saying that they are buying more guns?
On Monday, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) posted details of a no bid contract with weapons manufacturer Sig Sauer, worth $4.5 million over the next five years.

The contract is identical to the one DHS announced last week with Heckler & Koch.

Both contracts are for $900,000 worth of “replacement parts” a year, for weapons used by DHS agents.

While it is hard to imagine how or why a domestic agency could anticipate firing their weapons enough over the next five years to need $1.8 million annually in replacement parts, the DHS documents clearly state their need to “stock sufficient quantities of parts needed to fulfill the quantities of parts anticipated to be ordered.”

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=50991

Carl N. Brown
March 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
Replaced a broken firing pin on a S&W 916 shotgun after twenty years use.*

Replaced broken extractors on two used Savage .22 bolt actions, M63 and M73; the replacement extractors were better tempered, the originals were brittle.

Replaced a recoil spring on a M1 Carbine after about twelve years of my use (possibly it was the original recoil spring it came with in 1943).

Replaced a bolt pin on a Ruger MkII after about 20 years hard use.

Scrapped a Grendel P10 pistol after a weld on the frame failed (did not attempt repair, last production after Kelgren was no longer in charge.)

That's about it for some seventy-odd guns I have owned starting 1966.

*Not dry firing unless the manufacturer certifies the gun was designed to be dry fired will help to reduce broken firing pins.

jstein650
March 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
All in all - rarely. I had the extractor come down on a partially ejected shell on a Browning A-500R (too light a load) and it snapped. Browning replaced it. I do want to mention as said above* about guns that are OK to dry fire. Found out the hard way on a Star BM 9mm that it's NOT. Was lucky to find a replacement firing pin online since the thing's been out of production so long. As for DHS acquisitions, and I know many people say it's just normal practice, I find the purchase of armored personnel carriers to the tune of 2700 units unsettling to say the least, not to mention the qty's of ammo and these 'replacement' parts. Most modern guns just don't break very often at all. I will not be convinced that fixing the rare breakage as it occurs would ever approach $900G!

351 WINCHESTER
March 18, 2013, 01:24 PM
Recoil springs on 1911's, bhp. Don't recall any broken parts with the exception of 2 broken firing pins on mossberg pump shotguns that my brother and myself bought back in 68. We were dry firing them a lot before hunting season and his flew out the barrel first followed by mine a few clicks later. I don't know if they were defective or not, but our Dad had a gunsmith make 2 new ones that never gave us any problems whatsoever.

Mobuck
March 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
I've never actually had to replace parts on any of my firearms(other than springs) in 45 years of shooting. Most repairs on others' firearms were usually related to abuse/misuse.

Blue68f100
March 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
On my Sig P229 that I have had for close to 5yrs with over 20k rounds put through it. Beside RS changed every 5k rounds I had a Decoker lever break. I detail clean this gun ever 3k rounds for inspection. Normal service schedule for this model is in 5k intervals with the exceptio n of RS depending on loads shooting. If I recall DHS are using 229 in 357sig or 40cal. I do know if you don't do normal service you will break more parts due to neglect.

Tolkachi Robotnik
March 20, 2013, 10:16 PM
I am not that old but have more than one firearm. Does that make sense?

A spring in an Iver Johnson hammer gun, fabricated from a bicycle spoke. Probably eighty years old. It had no safety devices whatsoever.

A firing pin for a NEF hammer gun, extended by opening action, pulling back hammer, and pulling trigger while it was open, getting firing pin stuck protruding, then camming down the action on the extended firing pin. Yes, I was pretty mad and quit taking newbies out to shoot that firearm in particular, the fellow that did it thought it was poorly designed! Common sense is not as common as I first thought.

I changed a telescopic sight that did not work well, the next one shot straight.

This does not count putting on scopes the first time. That isn't repair really.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you have to replace parts on your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!