Winchester ranger 120

PDA

fatcat4620
March 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
I just bought a Winchester ranger 120. It seems to be a budget gun. Anything I need to know about it and does it share parts with any other guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester ranger 120" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rule303
March 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
All parts from the 1200 will interchange, as well as almost all of the parts for the 1300. The Ranger 120 was the economy version of the 1200 sold mostly through discount store chains. I think they are a good shotgun, that gets no love since it replaced the great, but expensive to produce model 12.

cota
March 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
Just to add to what rule says on the 120 ranger, they are a slick action reliable and fit most people of average build quite well, the rotary bolt can give issue eventually after many thousands of rounds, and my forearm collar kept coming loose until i lock tighted it. Never had another issue with that gun ever after that, and i know i should have kept it. :scrutiny:

jogar80
March 18, 2013, 09:39 PM
I was 12 yrs old and home watching TV on the floor one night when my dad walked into the house and said "Look what I got for you son!" He was holding a box that contained a 12 ga. Winchester Ranger 120. Now, 21 years later, I can still feel the excitement of that night every time I grab that shotgun. I have other semi-auto and O/U shotguns now, in several brands, but as far as pumps go I've only stuck with that one action. I even went and bought a used 1200 recently just for the heck of it. I've used many other pumps before, and I can honestly say that the 120/1200/1300 has the slickest, quickest action I've ever experienced. The 120 is supposed to be the economy version of the 1200, but the only difference is the plain wood and coated finish vs. blued. Well, I actually LIKE the plain birch stock of the 120, and the coated finish is as good now as the day I got it. You got a GREAT shotgun there. Not much you need to know about it, except for maybe how to take it down for a thorough cleaning... which it won't need very often anyways.

Fred Fuller
March 18, 2013, 10:12 PM
Be careful of using solvents that will attack plastic in it - the 'throat' at the junction of the receiver and magazine tube is a critical component, and some solvents will damage it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester ranger 120" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!