FAL sight alignment problems

PDA

Thrash1982
March 13, 2004, 09:39 PM
While sighting in my ORF standard length FAL today I fired a group of 5 and noticed I was not hitting the paper. After moving the rear sight all the way to the left the groups were still not in the center of the page. I had to compensate quite a bit to get the groups centered.

Another thing I noticed was that when I screw the gas regulator so that all the gas is being directed to the gas tube and the regulator sleeve is touching the front sight block the point of impact moves farther left although I was still having to compensate for this as well. In short with the rear sight all the way to the left and the gas regulator touching the front sight block (presumably moving the sight the right judging by the groups moving left) I was still shooting about 3-4 MOA to the right of center at 100 yards. Are there any causes/remedies you can think of for my problem? By the way, the groups are very consistent and very small. Very accurate rifle once the sights get aligned.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL sight alignment problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wintermute76
March 14, 2004, 02:40 AM
most common cause that I know of, is mistiming of the barrel. The gas regulator shouldn't have anything to do with it, other than maybe too much gas causing excessive impact on the carrier, may cause the group to jump.

Check FALfiles (http://www.falfiles.com) . Someone there will know more than me. ;)

RatFink
March 14, 2004, 03:07 AM
Yes, most likely the barrel timing.

JohnKSa
March 14, 2004, 06:06 PM
Who built your rifle?

shoobe01
March 14, 2004, 08:00 PM
Did it used to work, or is this the first excursion. I agree its probably just mistimed, so if new needs to be sent back.

I wouldn't put much credence into the gas plug moving the front sight. Full-open gas is driving the piston and bolt very fast, so a lot more stuff is going on in the gun's dyamics that can do almost anything to bullets leaving the gun.

Thrash1982
March 15, 2004, 08:36 AM
This is the second time I've had it out. It was built by Ohio Rapid Fire. So far I've used South African and Australian surplus.

Coronach
March 15, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, but was it also left of center last time, as well?

My FAL, built by DSA, did the same thing. So...if DSA can mistime a barrel...anyone can. They, of course, fixed it immediately, for free.

Mike

Thrash1982
March 15, 2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, that's the odd thing. Should have mentioned this earlier. It shot farther to the left with the South African than with the Australian. I'm darn confused now .:p

JohnKSa
March 16, 2004, 12:51 AM
Call the builder--I've heard good things about them. They'll get you on target.

Dollar Bill
March 16, 2004, 01:56 PM
If you moved the rear sight all the way to the left and is still shooting to the right that would indicate the barrel may be torqued too tight from TDC. It could also be, though not likely, a loose or mis-aligned gas block. Check over at www.falfiles.com/forums as it seems I have read that ORF had some personnel problems and were doing sub-par work but they are trying to get everything straightened out. Call them and talk to them and they will probably have you send the rifle back and will correct it. If you had built it yourself, you would have no recourse but to fix it yourself or pay another 'smith to correct it. Good luck. The FAL is a great rifle and you will like it when you get the problems corrected.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL sight alignment problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!