Hasta la vista AWB!

PDA

jamesbeat
March 19, 2013, 11:48 AM
This looks like Good News!
It is by no means over, as the AWB could be added as an amendment, but it certainly seems to have upset Frankenstein:

http://www.breitbart.com/instablog/2013/03/19/hasta-la-vista-assault-weapon-ban

After a meeting yesterday with Harry Reid (D-NV), Sen. Dianne Feinstein learned that her controversial assault weapons ban mess will not be part of the gun control bill package heading to the senate floor next month.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hasta la vista AWB!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TanklessPro
March 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for posting, but now is not the time to slow down. We have to keep up the emails and phone calls to our Reps.

InkEd
March 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
I am worried that a less fanatical version may pass easier than her extreme one. IMHO it is a bit of a double-edge sword. We have to keep up the efforts to maintain our rights.

lilguy
March 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
We have a far more tenacious opponent here in Illinois, the Chicago machine. We're fighting dozens of bills banning everything. One requiring the registration of every mag over 10 rds. Is within several votes of passing. The Feds were never an issues for us this time around.

22-rimfire
March 19, 2013, 12:07 PM
Reid doesn't want anything to do with the Feinstein AWB bill. I don't blame him.

DarrinD
March 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
It's not going to pass the Senate, and possibly not even the House . . . . for at least 2 years (if Dems get the House back) so yes the pressure needs to keep up.

jamesbeat
March 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting, but now is not the time to slow down. We have to keep up the emails and phone calls to our Reps.
Quite the opposite!

Make no mistake, the reason that this AWB didn't make it is because of the efforts of people like us.
If they thought they'd get away with it, they would have included it.
We may get something similar as an amendment, but they were too scared to put it through as it was, and that is because we've been vociferous on our condemnation of it.

We have to fight even harder now!
Let them know that even a revised version tacked on as an amendment will be political suicide.

Everyone who has been fighting should see this as a small sign that it is working and redouble their efforts.

blakeci
March 19, 2013, 12:17 PM
we have to be very careful, they are practising the "Overton Window", where they propose something so horrible that gets people up in arms, and then come back later with a bill that is "reasonable".
If they just came out with the "reasonable" one first, it may or may not pass, but by pushing the window far to the side, they make us think we are getting off easy with the final result.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 19, 2013, 12:17 PM
Please don't get complacent. What happened is Feinstein was told that her AWB (S. 150) will not be part of the "base gun control bill" offered by Dems. This means that the bill that gets a floor vote will not have AWB language in it. However, Feinstein can still offer her bill as an amendment to this bill (or any other gun bill) and if she has the votes (50 or 60 depending on the procedural tactics used) it will become part of whatever bill she tries to attach it to.

The reason they did this is because the Dem leadership really wants registration and they are afraid that putting the AWB in the base bill will kill all of their gun control - and cause them to lose Senate races in 2014.

The game here is with the AWB separate, your not-so-Second-Amendment-friendly Senators can tell you in 2014: "I support the Second Amendment and voted against gun and magazine bans; however I continue to support reasonable, common-sense gun laws like (having you stupid hillbillies tell me what guns and magazines you own so that after I'm re-elected I can fix that) universal background checks."

jamesbeat
March 19, 2013, 12:28 PM
It still stands that they knew the AWB would limit support.
Now we have to make sure they know that UBC is an equally stupid political move.

March 19, 2013, 12:29 PM
Reid doesn't want anything to do with the Feinstein AWB bill. I don't blame him.
I agree with you.

I get the distinct impression that many of the Dems don't even want to have to face a vote on the AWB. They know what will happen (as it did after passage of the 1994 AWB) and would rather just sit quietly and collect their pay.

Certaindeaf
March 19, 2013, 12:35 PM
For some reason I got a hankering for some huevos rancheros though.. hastala what?

SilentStalker
March 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
I think this is a ploy in which they offer defeat to get the pro-gun crowd to back off. In other words, don't let up steam just because they claim this.

jamesbeat
March 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
I think this is a ploy in which they offer defeat to get the pro-gun crowd to back off. In other words, don't let up steam just because they claim this.

I think you can interpret it either way, either they backed down because we're doing better than they expected and they want to cut their losses, or it's a ploy to get us to back off.

I suspect that it's a mixture of both, and that if they are expecting us to back off, we should give them the surprise of their life.

How about stopping the AWB and UBC, and then getting the national right to carry reciprocity act passed too for good measure?

J-Bar
March 19, 2013, 01:51 PM
That lady in the picture is dangerous...got her finger on the trigger!

If she is gonna handle guns, she needs to take a safety course.

dbp
March 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
Breaking news on Fox is that Senate Dems have dropped the assault weapons ban from the gun bill. No further explanation so we will have to wait until it hits the wires.

ugaarguy
March 19, 2013, 01:53 PM
I suspect that it's a mixture of both, and that if they are expecting us to back off, we should give them the surprise of their life.

How about stopping the AWB and UBC, and then getting the national right to carry reciprocity act passed too for good measure?
This needs to be repeated. The football analogy of going into a prevent defense late in the game to stop the opponent from scoring, but in reality it only prevents you from winning, is applicable here. We can't drop back into coverage and let them pick us apart. We must maintain the pass rush - we have to keep blitzing and keep putting the heat on them.

Vern Humphrey
March 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
Careful -- this is just a smokescreen to enable them to extend background checks to private sales. Having given up on the AWB, they'll present extended background checks as a "compromise."

Certaindeaf
March 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
"gun bill" still sounds expensive.

AlexanderA
March 19, 2013, 02:14 PM
This simply a tactical choice by Reid: put a "clean" bill on the Senate floor (including only the trafficking provision and school security), and then open it to amendments such as the AWB and background checks. The AWB has not been "dropped."

ATLDave
March 19, 2013, 02:15 PM
Far more detail here: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/assault-weapon-ban-for-gun-control-loses-steam-89046.html

Westfair
March 19, 2013, 02:17 PM
This simply a tactical choice by Reid: put a "clean" bill on the Senate floor (including only the trafficking provision and school security), and then open it to amendments such as the AWB and background checks. The AWB has not been "dropped."
Exactly, this is just political maneuvering and trickery. They will try to slide it under the door in the dead of night.

12many
March 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
Na, I think it is dead. Everyone knows it won't pass and the dems do not want to have to go on the record and vote for it with electrions coming up if they know it will not pass. Just my opinion.

ATLDave
March 19, 2013, 02:27 PM
The Democrats do not have 60 votes to force cloture in the face of a non-speaking filibuster. It's not clear they even have 51 votes. And they darn sure don't have a majority in the House! The AWB has always had a <1% chance of passage, and the mag limit only slightly better.

longknife12
March 19, 2013, 02:38 PM
Careful, it will slide into something else....amendment!!!!!
Dan

mrvco
March 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
Na, I think it is dead. Everyone knows it won't pass and the dems do not want to have to go on the record and vote for it with electrions coming up if they know it will not pass. Just my opinion.

I agree. As it played out with the 2A proponents getting motivated and vocal, the moderate dems had far more to lose than the liberal dems had to gain... especially for a bill that was never going to pass the House anyway.

Of course they'll position this as shedding the more controversial legislation so they can try to pass more "common sense" BS-legislation such as UBC's and a mag ban.

hso
March 19, 2013, 03:57 PM
Until S. 150: Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 is formally withdrawn nothing anyone reports can be trusted and celebration is terribly misplaced.

ALSO, until each and every draconian proposed piece of legislation that would restrict purchase/possession of firearms, magazines, or ammunition dies none of us can rest.

Further, until each and every proposed piece of legislation at the state level that restricts purchase/possession of firearms, magazines, or ammunition (remember NY and CO) is smashed and the legislators that supported them removed from office we have a long way to go before partying like it's 2004.

InkEd
March 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
Agreed.

RX-178
March 19, 2013, 05:39 PM
I bet she'll try to tack S.150 onto every single bill in the Senate from here until she's out.

JBrady555
March 19, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm a big fan of "the five" where this was a discussion topic today. They agreed with some here about the awb being dead but if the mag ban gets attached to the background check bill they may have a real chance at getting it pushed through. Don't let your guard down.

Hacker15E
March 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
The good news, here, is that this development means the "sea change" that was the result of a "swell of public support for gun control after Newtown" was largely a wishful figment of the imaginations of gun control supporters.

Although the RKBA is certainly under attack more now than it has been in a decade, this is a signal that it certainly is not as bad as some had hoped and many of us had feared.

Akita1
March 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Per hso's post, States are a total nightmare IMHO. Federal is in the weeds for now, but State proposals are in full-swing "chuck a ton at the wall" mode. Even here in my beloved Florida oven, there is ZERO room for complacency.

I will keep at the letters, calls, emails, etc. but the list is horrifying (and this isn't all of them, just the most offensive):

SB-136 Self-defense (Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground)
SB-314 Repeal Privacy of Firearm Owners/Doctors
SB-344 Assault or Battery on a Utility Worker
SB-362 Use of Deadly Force (Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground)
SB-374 Authority for Gun Control by Local Governments
SB-622 Repeal of Castle Doctrine
SB-1000 Regulation of Firearms
SB-1018 To Allow Local Governments to Adopt Gun
SB-1208 Taxes on Guns & Ammunition
SB-1234 Special 4% Tax on Firearms And Ammunition
SB-1272 Prohibit Firearms Sales at Gun Shows
SB-1426 Trespassing on Railroad Property
SB-1488 Licensure to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm
SB-1582 Assault Weapons/Culpable Negligence
SB-1640 Firearms "Universal Background Check Act"
SB-1670 Assault Weapons and Magazine Ban
SB 1678 Anger Management/Sale of Ammunition

jamesbeat
March 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
Please do not take this as a sign to let our guards down, but last night, on News 12 Long Island, they reported that interest in gun control is waning as people turn to other more pressing issues.
From my impression of News 12, they probably reported on it hoping to get people fired up again, but what I took away from it is that if we KEEP PUSHING we'll beat this thing.

APart from the extremist antis, we simply care about this issue more than anti gun folk do.

Also, tonight they were reporting on tougher restrictions on violent video games, and said that it was part of the gun control debate!

browningguy
March 19, 2013, 06:56 PM
It was never their plan to get the Feinstein plan passed. It's simply a red herring that they knew had no chance of getting passed. They can now come out with all sorts of other ways to "infringe" and talk about how reasonable they are compared to the Feinstein plan.

AlexanderA
March 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Everyone knows it won't pass and the dems do not want to have to go on the record and vote for it with elections coming up if they know it will not pass.

I agree that it won't pass -- this time. But I disagree about the Dems not wanting a record vote. This is all about the 2014 elections, and in many marginal districts now held by Republicans, the Democrats figure (rightly or wrongly) that a pro-gun vote by the Republican incumbent can be held against him/her. (In lots of suburban districts gun control is polling better than Democratic issues generally.) Meanwhile, in red states and districts now represented by Democrats, those Democrats can be given a pass to vote pro-gun this year in order to preserve their 2nd Amendment bona fides. If and when the Democrats gain control of both houses of Congress, the wavering Democrats (Manchin, Baucus, Landrieu, etc.) can be whipped into toeing the party line.

gym
March 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
Fienstein was on cnn earlier saying that it is not dead, and Harry Ried has promissed her a vote on an ammendment. I didn't catch the whole thing as they were talking about chemica weapons and Lybia, and potential U.S. intervention

BobTheTomato
March 19, 2013, 07:59 PM
My understanding is that they are still considering a ban of mags of over 10+

Creature
March 19, 2013, 08:13 PM

Concur. The AWB may be out down...but it aint out for the count. We need to be watching for sneak plays very closely. Like veritable hawks. A disguised AWB could be 'snuck' through as a amendment to a bill....much like the way guaranteed student loan reform was taken over by the feds in the health care reform bill.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/29/student-loan-takeover-slips-through-with-health-ca/

r1derbike
March 19, 2013, 08:15 PM
Reid will push the UBC hard. It's what they really want. Anything else they may tack-on and sneak through, they will.

We have to look at every piece closeup. It was Reid's intention to let the AWB languish and weaken, pick-up the pieces, and go about business making everyone criminals with UBC.

We have to watch that snake in the grass like a hawk. This is only the beginning.

Ingsoc75
March 19, 2013, 08:15 PM
Let's sneak in a repeal of 922(o) now.

hirundo82
March 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
Keep up the pressure. There are Democrat senators from lots of very pro-gun states (Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Montana, South Dakota, West Virginia) up for reelection in 2014 who need to be told that no new gun control is acceptable to their constituents.

Thermactor
March 19, 2013, 08:31 PM
This is a diversionary tactic, taking this "off the table" for us to let our guards down while they flank us. This isn't the time to even exhale a sigh of relief.

Vern Humphrey
March 19, 2013, 09:08 PM
"When the field before you is clear
And you know you are sure to win
Look to your flanks and rear
That's where surprises begin."

Rudyard Kipling

Creature
March 19, 2013, 09:13 PM
Lots of Doomsters here. Need to take deep breaths. May help. Then again,may not. C'est la vie. You only die once.

I wouldnt call those of us not willing to let our guard down "doomsters". A calvalier attitude like yours is more detrimental than helpful. Perhaps "cautiously optimistic" is a better phrase....

Akita1
March 19, 2013, 09:15 PM
OK. Just don't lose too much sleep All are D.O.A.
That's what I believe as well but don't want to get cocky!

tactikel
March 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
HSO is right on, I live in Illinois, the fight is still on, and far from done. We face the loss of basic 2A rights. We must NOT slow or stop our work. Please support the NRA, your state rifle associations, and pro 2A legislators.

dbro822
March 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
Please do not think this is over, just because the feds are so called backing down it is now time to watch what will play out in the states. Keep calling and wrighting so your law makers know that we will not give in, and that their job IS on the line!

splattergun
March 19, 2013, 09:34 PM
Dems couldn't even get 40 votes for Feinstein.'s AWB. Reid didn't want the loss of face a down vote would mean, so killed it.

This is not a true victory, they merely made a tactical retreat. Expect them to regroup and make the press again.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
No compromise. None what so ever.

Boostedtwo
March 19, 2013, 09:47 PM
I wonder if things will go down in price now.

SuperNaut
March 19, 2013, 09:58 PM
The so-called "Universal Background Check" is far worse than a toothless assault weapons ban. It is the big fight, for all the marbles, don't let up.

StrutStopper
March 19, 2013, 10:40 PM
This was a tactical move by H. Reid. He didn't want the whole bill to die and it would have with the AWB still part of it. He's hoping the more 'reasonable' UBC and school security portions will pass, and Feinstein will get her precious AWB as an amendment. I certainly hope that she has totally wasted 40 years of her life trying to ban guns but I am not letting my guard down. We've got some real knuckleheaded legislation to deal with here at the local level and I intend to do all I can to ensure my voice is heard. I am hopefully about to win a personal 2A fight at the local level here, after 18 months of letter writing I expect a CCW permit by the end of this week. If not, the local PD and my town will have to explain things to a judge...

dark.zero.x
March 19, 2013, 11:01 PM
I think its time to take back some ground. I, for one, will not stop putting pressure on my reps.

mrvco
March 19, 2013, 11:17 PM
Time to quit hoarding "Assault Weapons" and time to start hoarding "High Capacity Mags".

kwguy
March 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
"Tactical retreat" is exactly what Reid did. There is no "this bill is better than that bill". They asked for everything they could, and if they wind up with half of what they ask for, it's still a gain for them, and a loss for us.

We cannot ever let up, or let our guard down. Sure, this is good news. Winning a battle in a war is always good, but remember that the war is not over, and all we've really been doing lately is performing a 'holding action', trying to preserve what we have, let alone take back what we've lost.

We have to keep pressure up on our policitians. The anti's keep talking about a 'sea change' about 'guns'. I believe the sea change is truly in the opposite direction of what they believe. And it's not about 'guns' per se, it's about our rights, and personal responsibility, and how we don't want those things taken away.

I don't think they expected the wave of backlash that we generated. Even though they controlled the mass media, the internet and it's tools allowed us to push back very hard. Whether it's flooding politicians inboxes, to hitting polls, to bringing other 'fresh faces' to the forefront (ie: Colion Noir, Star Parker...). Those two didn't hit the mass media, because of course, the mass media is biased, but I guarantee that many people have watched them on the internet, and that MUST have an effect on attitudes.

When I would read some related story on Yahoo or something, with an obvious anti bias, I read the comments, and an overwhelming number of them are against that very article. That's a real 'sea change'.

Of course, tragedies happen, and the anti's will jump on every opportunity to capitalize on them. We must keep up the pressure, because they certainly will do so. Make no mistake, if the votes were there in the Senate, this stuff would be passed. We have to continue to make sure those votes don't exist. We have to make sure this junk doesn't even make it out of committee, if we can. We have to continue to fight this stuff on all fronts, because they will never stop pushing it.

Wouldn't it be great if we could gain back the ground that we've lost, incrementally, since the early 1900's?

Topkick
March 19, 2013, 11:49 PM
Even a blind hog (Reid) finds an acorn now and then!!

HKGuns
March 19, 2013, 11:51 PM
This only means you need to double down your efforts Gentlemen. This Bill was never a threat and everyone knew it. (Even Frankenstein)

This was ONLY put forward to establish a baseline of unacceptability from which to seek some compromise legislation that the Republicans will be all too willing to concede to if you do not speak up.

Iramo94
March 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
What we really need is a repeal of 18 USC chapter 44. (and replacement with two words: not infringed) Not like that'll ever happen.

JohnsXDM
March 20, 2013, 12:36 AM
HSO is right on, I live in Illinois, the fight is still on, and far from done. We face the loss of basic 2A rights. We must NOT slow or stop our work. Please support the NRA, your state rifle associations, and pro 2A legislators.
Heck, Here in Illinois today they tried to push our carry law out another 2 1/2 years to give the State Police time to get things ready,,, CC to have $1,000,000 in insurance,,, training on the actual gun you would carry,,,, and a back door gun registration, and that was just todays games! Everytime they meet its just more and more BS!

wojownik
March 20, 2013, 12:50 AM
Feinstein's AWB was a sideshow. It was doomed from the start, and both sides knew it. The real battle begins now - Lautenberg's proposed magazine restrictions, universal background checks, etc., etc.

The AWB was an easy balloon to pop. It was too radical, too aggressive, and by comparison some are hoping other proposals will look more reasonable by comparison.

Don't underestimate the pressures to do "something" ...

nathan
March 20, 2013, 01:23 AM
Michael Moore was talking of organizing an antiGun campaign when interviewed by Morgan. YEp, we have to keep up for they are relentless.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
To quote Admiral Ackbar's " It's a trap!"

HoosierQ
March 20, 2013, 07:18 AM
Careful, it will slide into something else....amendment!!!!!
Dan
Passing an amendment is about 100x harder to pass than a bill!

OilyPablo
March 20, 2013, 07:27 AM
Even they said they don't want to take your guns, they still want to take your guns.

mrvco
March 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
They don't want to take your guns... Until they come up with a reason to take your guns.

Jamie B
March 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
Round #1, Fineswine 0, Good Guys 1

Prophet
March 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
...am I missing something? Last I heard the AWB could be added as an amendment at a later time. If anyone remembers the passage process for socialized medicine, the same thing happened concerning a number of proposals.

If we can relax now, that was too easy. What makes us think that by sacrificing any less than our founding fathers were willing to that somehow we'll end up with the same hard-earned results? Remember that when considering how much time you're willing to devote to the 2A cause. We can't afford a sigh of relief. We must be eternally vigilant or every state will end up looking just like Colorado. Now go write some emails, make some phonecalls, get another gun owner involved, convert an anti, and take someone shooting.

Trent
March 20, 2013, 10:14 AM
Feinsteins Assault Weapons bill announced dead yesterday.

This morning I get an E-mail from Stag Arms "AR-15 Lower Receivers Back In Stock". (Must have had a lot of backorders cancelled yesterday, or they finally got caught up)

I'll take that as a positive sign that the Great Run On Guns of 2013 is in the process of ending.

Prophet
March 20, 2013, 11:20 AM
I'll take that as a positive sign that the Great Run On Guns of 2013 is in the process of ending.

Trent, as vocal and active as you've been here on the boards lately I'll take your opinion as a positive sign. I'm still not changing my legislative contact schedule in the least.

It would be nice to see 5.56 and .223 come down in price though. :D

jamesbeat
March 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
If we stop now, they'll still get UBC's through, and who know what else they'll slip in there.

I am beginning to think that I made a poor choice when I wrote the title of this thread.
I called it 'Hasta la vista AWB!' because that was the headline of the news story I was bringing to everyone's attention, NOT because I think it's dead.

Believe me guys, the fight is nowhere near over yet.
The AWB may not even really be dead, for reasons explained by several posters in this thread.

This is a good sign, because I think we all know that they would have put the AWB through if they thought they would have got away with it, but there is no cause for rejoicing yet.

Let them know that, not only does the AWB not have a hope in hell of passing, but neither do any of the other 'common sense' proposals that they are pushing.

Don't get complacent, don't stop writing and calling, don't stop attending rallies, continue to take non-gun folk to the range.

If we win this one, that's still not a cause to give up the fight. Maintaining the status quo is not our goal. We want all of our rights restored. We want national right to carry reciprocity. We want to see the end of 'may issue' permits.

I think it's beginning to dawn on them now that they have bitten off more than they can chew, now let's make them choke on it.

We need a complete scorched earth policy on this one, or they'll never give up.

4season
March 20, 2013, 12:53 PM
Like much of the garbage they have passed in the last few years they start with the most controversial stuff then strip it out before the vote. They end up passing a watered down version, but they still strip us of our rights. Just because they took the AR/AK line out of the bill doesn't mean they won't go for 30 round magazines. That is the way the liberals plan their agenda. Don't go for the jugular the people will defend that, just start with the arm and when the people shake their arm free, the liberals will bite a finger off. So we lost a finger and call it a win? Never let them have an inch. If they start calling for a ban we need to start calling for lifting all bans. If they want semi-auto to be illegal then we call for making full auto legal again. Never give up, never surrender. This is far from over.

xfyrfiter
March 20, 2013, 01:00 PM
We must all get to the polls when election time comes and make sure that another "anti" never gets into office again. If they all lose their jobs they will think twice before proposing anti gun anything, and oh yeah keep the letters and calls going, never let up or give up. This is not over by a long shot.

The-Reaver
March 20, 2013, 03:17 PM
One page at a time and you'll eventually finish the book.

It's not over, it'll never be over. Agenda 21 and the NWO says so.

Highcaliber
March 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
This is a diversionary tactic, taking this "off the table" for us to let our guards down while they flank us. This isn't the time to even exhale a sigh of relief.

I agree. We all need to stand firm and keep up the pressure.

FJRBob
March 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
Don't get complaisant, This is far from over..

gym
March 20, 2013, 03:47 PM
You would think after all these years she would at least know how to hold the darn thing. We don't have to worry about her changing mags, it looks from the picture like my 92 year old mother trying to work the remote. And the beat goes on, this is what we are up against, powerful people who have no clue what it is they are against, other than the rights of others.

Akita1
March 20, 2013, 03:56 PM
Coming from Trent, I'll take a statement like that more seriously - he actually shows up at the rallies and lobbies his reps. Off to the Stag Arms web site...oops, all out of stock already.

HoosierQ
March 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
Man what an Idiot I am. Sold my AR (for a fantastic price mind you) just because I didn't want to get caught holding onto something messy. I'm very glad this has transpired that way it has mind you. I also agree that the AWB thing is going to be very prominent with lawmakers in terms of their thinking, pro and con..."will this get me, or keep me from getting, elected"?

Oh well. If things go bad somebody who wanted it way worse than I has it now and will deal with it as he sees fit. If things return to sanity, I'll buy another one I guess...if they ever return to sanity...or I don't find something I enjoy more in the interim.

Panic mentality (everybody) + impulsivity (me) = regret and second guessing.

At least I'm used to it.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 20, 2013, 04:33 PM
Feinsteins Assault Weapons bill announced dead yesterday.

This morning I get an E-mail from Stag Arms "AR-15 Lower Receivers Back In Stock". (Must have had a lot of backorders cancelled yesterday, or they finally got caught up)

When the gun cases are full again and the shop owners can keep them that way I'll believe things are better. Until then things are still bad.

HoosierQ
March 20, 2013, 04:34 PM
When the gun cases are full again and the shop owners can keep them that way I'll believe things are better. Until then things are still bad.
Amen.

gym
March 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
^^ what they said

Hacker15E
March 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
Biden was just interviewed on NPR's All Things Considered, and he's clearly flabbergasted that people aren't falling in line with what he thinks we paeans should be "allowed" to own and use in terms of firearms.

Most importantly, he reiterated that he is playing the long game and that this decision in the Senate is the first battle in a long war to get what "they" want.

Semper vigilans.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/20/174880882/interview-with-vice-president-joe-biden

alan
March 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
FYI:

Saw in my local paper, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, also heard several times on radio news broadcasts, that the current Assault Weapons Ban, so-called has been removed from proposals passed by The Judiciary Committee of The U.S. Senate. Of course, it could return as an amendment, and it likely will be so offered. Who knows what The Senate, in it's august wisdom, or what passes therefore might accept as an "amendment" to "underlying legislation". VP Biden spoke at length, being interviewed on WESA-FM, Public Radio in Pittsburgh, this interview likely broadcast on other stations too. Public Radio stations, as I understand things, maintain archives of broadcasts, which can be accessed via computer, in case you missed the original broadcast. Mr. Biden, of course, sang the same old songs, ditty's that, in my opinion, do not improve with age or repetition.

As Bart Roberts, and others offered, ""don't get complacent"". He is all to right there. Re VP Biden's Public Radio interview, it's available for listening on home computers, via public radio station archives, in case you missed the original broadcast interview, mostly Biden lecturing. He sang the same old songs, ditty's that improve neither from age, nor from repetition.

Ignition Override
March 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
Trent:
There must be huge numbers of back orders cancelled.

As with the more moderate panic in late '08, many of the buyers never even actually wanted an AR, and when they saw it in a shop, would not recognize it.
One question is when or whether the dawning realization will fairly Soon cool the fever for ammo.

SabbathWolf
March 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
LOL.
I really like the way you think.
So far, it seems like the Pro 2A team has been playing mostly defense.
It "is" past due time we take the fight to the enemy.

SabbathWolf
March 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
Time to quit hoarding "Assault Weapons" and time to start hoarding "High Capacity Mags".
Supply cannot keep up with demand right now.
Where are all these magazines to hoard?
I've been looking for 9mm HK P30 mags for quite a while now.

Ryanxia
March 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
Now we all need to focus on the universal background checks. This Bill will strip our Rights much more than the AWB.
Remember, registration leads to confiscation.

r1derbike
March 20, 2013, 09:57 PM
Universal Background Checks=Mandatory Registration
Gun Buyback Program=Mandatory Confiscation.

The UBC makes unsuspecting felons out of many law-abiding citizens. Read the effluent in that bill. And there is more like it coming down the pike.

The battle isn't won; it hasn't even started yet.

As stated before, keep tabs on who voted anti-gun, and give 'em what they deserve; a bus ride home.

bigfinger76
March 21, 2013, 01:32 AM
Michael Moore was talking of organizing an antiGun campaign when interviewed by Morgan. YEp, we have to keep up for they are relentless.

I saw that as well. Then he started getting really angry, and reminded me of a bratty kid who didn't get what he wanted for his birthday. Then I changed it.

baz
March 21, 2013, 07:44 AM
...am I missing something? Last I heard the AWB could be added as an amendment at a later time. If anyone remembers the passage process for socialized medicine, the same thing happened concerning a number of proposals. This is true. It is not over until the fat lady sings. That said, this is a positive development. What is happening here, I think, is that Reid is listening to Senators facing tough reelections in 2014. They do not want to vote on this at all: if they vote "for" then they anger their constituents, and if they vote "against" they anger their fellow Democrats. They would like to see it just go away. Apparently, amendments will require 50 or 60 votes, depending on the procedural rules adopted. So let's hope they require 60. Even 50 may do it, as it gives those Democrats facing reelection the ability to vote against the amendments (so they can tell their constituents they voted against AWB) while voting for the bill as it came out of committee (to show their party loyalty).

My question: what's the status of UBC? Is it in the bill that came out of committee?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hasta la vista AWB!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!