For those laughing at CO

PDA

MachIVshooter
March 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
You better wake up! Do you really think this was about Colorado? Think Bloomyberg and his ilk give a rat's posterior about a flyover state 2000 miles away with barely more than half the population of his city? You think they threw millions of dollars into this battle because they actually care what happens here?

We are the guinea pigs, the test bed. Being a fiscally conservative, socially liberal moderate state with a strong firearm heritage, we are very representative of the nation as a whole. That's why we were targeted, that's why we have been receiving substantial NATIONAL coverage. If we don't spank the gun grabbers here in 2014, the entire country is going down the same road, guaranteed. If the reprisal is insufficient here, it sends the message to ALL the congresscritters in DC that the cost is acceptable. You will see "conservatives" flock to gun control.

If you live in this state, you'd better be doing everything you can, including sending money to RMGO, writing tons of letters, etc. If you don't live here, you should be doing the same thing.

A short few years ago, I'd have never thought this could happen here. But liberal anti-gun money and influence is destroying us, and the aim is to do the same to the nation. Nobody is shocked when NY or CA passes more draconian gun laws, but to have it happen here is a major blow to RKBA. It's part of their "Colorado Model", and believe me, they're waiting anxiously to see how it pans out in the next election. If we don't annihilate them, get ready. You'll see federal laws that mirror the ones they're passing here, and worse.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those laughing at CO" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HankR
March 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
Nobody is laughing.

I'm trying not to cry.

March 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
I am also absolutely sick for those in Colorado who are about to become subject to such unconstitutional law.

Similar, equally oppressive legislation is on the table in many other states (mine included) and what we've seen so far is just the start. The 'other side' thinks it's their turn again and they've pulled out all the stops this time going after the state legislatures, too.

I have lost track of how many letters I've made (at least several dozen) and will not stop now.

Pilot
March 19, 2013, 04:53 PM
I don't think any of us are laughing inside or outside Colorado. It is pretty obvious that this is the model, blueprint and/or road map for what the statists want to do nationally, and they are winning. :mad:

The response in 2014 has to be absolutely devastating to those that supported this Bill. We also have to defeat it in the courts or get it repealed.

Racinfan83
March 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
I doubt that anyone on this forum is laughing. This just shows what happens when your guard is let down. The citizens of CO voted in a bunch of liberals - thinking that they would leave guns alone since they were such a significant part of the state's history. Look what happened... ONE liberal made the difference. Now they are screwed. This should put everyone on notice to help make sure that no more liberals get elected - that is if you like your 2nd Amendment Rights. liberals are proving day by day that they do not care about trampling on the Constitution... And people are dumb enough to vote them in anyway..:mad::mad::mad:

CoRoMo
March 19, 2013, 05:09 PM
It's important to mention that Colorado has 'become blue' over the last couple of decades due to people moving here from exceptionally 'deep blue' states. While they couldn't manage to operate a business or find a decent job in their old state or maybe they couldn't bare the inner city crime, they moved here and have begun changing this state into their old one. Running for office or putting people in office that pass laws similar to the state they fled has given us a legislature and governorship that jumped at the chance to disarm honest Americans.

This phenomenon is occurring in every last state in the nation; Texas, Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, you name it.

X-Rap
March 19, 2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone living in a red state needs to take a hard look at their population centers and how quickly the balance can change. It didn't happen overnight in CO and many were yelling the warning and it doesn't always come hard in the face. Don't believe that the gun issues are the first big wins for the libs. Outlawing trapping, bear baiting and dog hunting, med pot, legal pot just to name a few. We have been slowly turning liberal on the social front for quite some time and have had some dismal showings of conservatives in recent elections. Plenty to learn from this state for both sides, seems like one side paid better attention than the other.

GlowinPontiac
March 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
Today we here in CT are fighting against a law requiring liability insurance for all guns. Trust me we are not laughing.

MachIVshooter
March 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
I don't think any of us are laughing inside or outside Colorado

I've seen more than a few "Thank god I live in (insert state) :neener:" kind of replies here and elsewhere. Those folks are the ones who really need to open their eyes and take note. We were one of those states, and if this trend continues, TX, WY, MT and all the others will be "used to" places as well.

CoRoMo
March 19, 2013, 05:26 PM
I don't see or hear anyone laughing to be honest, except for some of my fellow Colorado gun owners. They laugh at the legislation as if it were so impotent it needn't be opposed.

This attitude I'm most sick of is the one that says it's pointless to get involved. I urged some of my gun owning acquaintances to contact the legislature; they told me, "I'll just buy mags out of state and bring them back, it's unenforceable". Or when discussing the pending legislation they'd brush it off with a, "Yeah, what can ya do", or "It'll all be alright, this is America, that stuff won't pass". It's as though these laws are REAL LAWS and therefore don't need to be opposed as if they were.

One particular dummkopf gun owner would just brush it all off because he 'already has all the guns and mags' he needs; "I think if I'm armed with two or three 15-round magazines... I'm fairly well armed!". When challenged that this is only a cornerstone for more gun control he replies, "If I can't handle the threat with 8 rounds of .45acp, that threat simply can't be handled!"

I ranted in two different threads recently...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=704077
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=705657
Here's a paraphrase of several conversations that I've had lately with business colleagues, employees, and general acquaintances. When I follow up with them the conversations go almost exactly like this...

CoRoMo: Have you contacted anyone in the Senate from the list that I sent you?
[B]Other: No. I don't want to be getting a bunch of emails back from them and I'd probably end up on some sort of terrorist watch list if I sent them an email.
CoRoMo: The law would prohibit you from ever acquiring, giving, receiving, buying, or selling any of your AR mags to anyone or from anyone ever again.
Other: That won't stop me. I'll just drive to Raton, NM / Cheyenne, WY and buy them anyway and say I owned them before the law went in.
CoRoMo: You won't be able to loan or borrow a firearm except while hunting, or from immediate, blood relatives outside your home or theirs according to law.
Other: There's no way they will find out. I'll do it anyway.
CoRoMo: You won't be able to buy or sell firearms between friends or family at all [without BGC] according to law.
Other: They will never know. I'll do it anyway and we'll just say that the gun was bought/sold before the law went in.

I guess I'm ranting again because I sort of think it is the fault of lazy pieces of trash like this that the legislature here didn't choke on the sheer number of emails, phone calls, and letters they COULD HAVE received in opposition to these laws.

When following up with one guy, I told him that it's time to hammer the governor with emails to veto the legislation. He told me, "I sent that one!", referring to the very first round of emails to the House committee where the mag bill originated. Utter laziness, they just don't want to bother getting involved.

ThorinNNY
March 19, 2013, 05:30 PM
In New York responsible gun owners are not only feeling your grief, we are dealing with similar tyrany inflicted on us by by Bloomberg ,his minions and his billions. Keep the faith, brother, it`ll be a long, hard struggle but in the end we`ll defeat them.

gatorjames85
March 19, 2013, 05:34 PM
I'm not laughing here in Florida. It is extremely concerning to see a state that seemed relatively safe (at least from what I was aware of) fall prey to the gun grabbers. Historically, the anti-gun movement was much less organized than us, but that is quickly changing. Mayors Against Illegal Guns is not playing around and has lots of Bloomberg money.

psyopspec
March 19, 2013, 05:40 PM
I doubt that anyone on this forum is laughing. This just shows what happens when your guard is let down. The citizens of CO voted in a bunch of liberals - thinking that they would leave guns alone since they were such a significant part of the state's history. Look what happened... ONE liberal made the difference. Now they are screwed. This should put everyone on notice to help make sure that no more liberals get elected - that is if you like your 2nd Amendment Rights. liberals are proving day by day that they do not care about trampling on the Constitution... And people are dumb enough to vote them in anyway..

That's a gross oversimplification. The... unique way in which the last gubernatorial election played out certainly had something to with it. It was mid-cycle, and the utterly despicable candidate who ran for one party, which spawned a third party bid by a former US Congressmen probably kept a lot of Republicans home and certainly divided the vote.

gym
March 19, 2013, 05:41 PM
None of us are laughing about a state , "any state or individual", losing it's rights. As we have acknowledged in countless posts it must stop here and now. organization and lists must be made so the comman man knows who is who, and who they need to vote for. This must be done expediantlly and with the greatest care possible. We can't just write a few letters and assume anything, we must get these toxic people out of office now.
Waiting for another presidential election will be too late, we need to surgical strikes to their base.

mljdeckard
March 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
I'm with you man.

mike.h
March 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
This is serious stuff, I sure hope nobody is laughing.

X-Rap
March 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
That's a gross oversimplification. The... unique way in which the last gubernatorial election played out certainly had something to with it. It was mid-cycle, and the utterly despicable candidate who ran for one party, which spawned a third party bid by a former US Congressmen probably kept a lot of Republicans home and certainly divided the vote.

What you say is true in that we probably wouldn't have had a Republican Gov. so willing to sign these bills but some of the dems who voted in favor don't come from the Denver, Boulder liberal strongholds they come from blue collar and rural areas like Pueblo. We somehow have 2 senators in DC that I hope never have to cast the deciding vote on a gun control bill.
This state has changed and my hope is that it is simply conservative voter apathy and there is hope for a reversal.

HankR
March 19, 2013, 05:52 PM
The OP followed with: I've seen more than a few "Thank god I live in (insert state)

That's different from laughing at you. We are allowed to be proud that we've successfully fought for our rights, for now. I do thank God each and every day that I do live in a free state, and I thank Him that he allowed us to move as our previous state became less free.

gatorjames85: It is extremely concerning to see a state that seemed relatively safe (at least from what I was aware of) fall prey to the gun grabbers

Nobody who has really been paying attention is all that surprised. Despite family and job opportunities, I turned down an opportunity to move to Colorado about 9 years ago -- it is not the Colorado of my youth. Many friends and family members have begun to flee CO over the last 5 or so years, and one was making plans to leave (for purely political reasons, they are retired) prior to the new gun laws.

Yes, it can happen here (wherever "here" happens to be for you). In the past it has happened gradually. We need to be diligent, even paranoid over the "slippery slopes", but we shouldn't be surprised.

JBrady555
March 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'm also from FL and I'm scared that Jacksonville, Orlando and Miami are going to start dictating legislation for the rest of the state. Large metropolitan areas along with a don't give a F attitude from "the good ole boys" is going to start changing pro gun states into antis without even having the support from a majority of the people. Too many responsible independent type small town folks still don't believe that what happens in Washington or their state governments actually affects them and they don't care about getting involved.

Racinfan83
March 19, 2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
I doubt that anyone on this forum is laughing. This just shows what happens when your guard is let down. The citizens of CO voted in a bunch of liberals - thinking that they would leave guns alone since they were such a significant part of the state's history. Look what happened... ONE liberal made the difference. Now they are screwed. This should put everyone on notice to help make sure that no more liberals get elected - that is if you like your 2nd Amendment Rights. liberals are proving day by day that they do not care about trampling on the Constitution... And people are dumb enough to vote them in anyway..

That part I did not know.. I'm three states away. But the GOP as a whole "shot itself in the foot" in many different ways the last two elections. Bad candidates, bad management, and even worse "media gaffes" were their (and gun owners) downfall. Case in point - Todd Akin here in MO, who had the election WON until he spouted off something about "legitimate rape" on a local TV interview.... They (and WE) have got to learn from the failures....

Godsgunman
March 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Definitely no laughing here. I used to love CO and was looking to move there. No way now. I am very thankful for the state I live in and if anything what has happened in CO has made me all the more politically active. I will pay attention to EVERY election from school board on up. Can't give these enemies of freedom a foothold anywhere.

jerkface11
March 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Doesn't really matter what the republicans say or do the media will still count it as a gaffe. Obama didn't know how many states we have and got a pass. Cruz took a drink of water and they declared the end of his career.

X-Rap
March 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
That couldn't be more true, the way the media reports gaffes, and misrepresents statements by conservatives should be an embarassment to the craft.
They are the ones most to blame in the the rise of the left in this country and abroad. Complicant in almost every victory that I can think of.

mljdeckard
March 19, 2013, 07:04 PM
Even if the circumstances that put the current governor were a bit of a fluke, that still wouldn't have happened without a lot of people who were upset with how their state was being run hadn't moved to another state and tried to run it the same way as their old state.

Grassman
March 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
Bloomberg might be more dangerous than obama right now, he is more embolden everyday, and almost limit less funds to further his agenda. He is a scary little commie man. That guy has power on his mind.

Rembrandt
March 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
Colorado has been dabbling with liberal social issues for years, watering down conservative principles and values.....letting the proverbial camels nose under the tent. Sorry for your plight, should have seen it coming years ago. Other states are not far behind....

March 19, 2013, 08:03 PM
Cruz took a drink of water and they declared the end of his career.

Actually, that was Rubio.

River Wraith
March 19, 2013, 08:18 PM
There's nothing to laiugh about. You guys have to up your game for 2014. Makes me actually want to projectile vomit. I weep for the people of CO. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.:(

PlaneJain
March 19, 2013, 08:30 PM
And for the states who have already lost this battle, the free states could use your money as well.

SaxonPig
March 19, 2013, 08:45 PM
I have seen a lot of self righteous people criticize CA and blame gun owners there for the bad laws. I know they are simply outnumbered by anti-gun liberals at the polls. No amount of political activism will help. I hope CO isn't in the same boat. I pull for CO gun owners to beat this. The loss of any state's rights is a defeat for all Americans.

Larry Ashcraft
March 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Colorado has been dabbling with liberal social issues for years, watering down conservative principles and values.....letting the proverbial camels nose under the tent. Sorry for your plight, should have seen it coming years ago. Other states are not far behind....
Yes, we did. I remember seeing "Don't Californicate Colorado" signs forty years ago. But it's not like you can prevent Californians from moving here. Especially when they can sell their homes for enough to buy a nice mountain home and retire here.

IOW, we saw it coming, but there wasn't much we could do about it. Now that the antis have shown their hand though, I think we have a good chance to oust these clowns in 2014. I don't remember talking to any of the recent arrivals and finding out they are anti-gun.

FWIW, my family has been in Colorado since 1888, and I've watched all of these changes over the last sixty plus years of my life.

Larry Ashcraft
March 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
I hope CO isn't in the same boat.
I don't think so, I think we can beat this.

The issue that needs to be pressed in Denver and Boulder though, is that the Dems sold Colorado out to Bloomberg. I think that will resonate more with voters than the anti gun angle.

Dr.Rob
March 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
Colorado has a FINE history of blowback against unpopular legislation.

This force feeding won't stand.

Thermactor
March 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm absolutely not laughing at CO. I am honestly aghast and trying to keep a brave face on it all.

feedthehogs
March 19, 2013, 09:35 PM
"IOW, we saw it coming, but there wasn't much we could do about it. Now that the antis have shown their hand though, I think we have a good chance to oust these clowns in 2014. I don't remember talking to any of the recent arrivals and finding out they are anti-gun."

That's the worst excuse for failure I've ever seen.
If you have a good chance to oust the clowns in 2014, then you had the ability to keep them from being elected in the first place.
Tigers don't change their stripes and anti gun politicians can be spotted miles away.

I live in Florida. South Florida is basically the NE relocated bringing all their liberal ideals and elect politicians to represent those ideals.
We as gun owners have fought and continue to fight every day to preserve our gun rights.

The sooner gun owners quit making excuses for laziness, apathy, lack of time or any other excuse one can come up with, our actions can be directed toward prevention rather reaction.

Are there some that work tirelessly, yes. But like most organizations less than 15 % do a damn thing until something is done that the other 85% don't like and then the whining starts.

lilguy
March 19, 2013, 09:37 PM
Lighten up fella, I live in Illinois and we are in a fight of our life as we speak. You are not alone. DC never was a worry or me, it was always Springfield this time around.

Cosmoline
March 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
Nobody is laughing. 2014 is payback. The most important election of our lifetimes. EVERYONE who owns a firearm MUST vote. MUST. If you have to drag them kicking and screaming to the polls, do it. There will never be a more important moment in most of our lives. That's how serious it is. And it's doubly so for Colorado voters.

There is reason for hope. The Obama second term is bogged down in budget woes. The economy, Wall St. aside, is still mired in troubles and systemic weakness. The GOP has had a chance to regroup after the debacle. And the old left anti-gun guard has been let off its leash to run around and bite us in the backsides. These factors favor us, and disfavor Dems who get in on hopey-changey rhetoric during big election years. In the mid-terms the turnouts are usually much lower and favor the dedicated single-issue voters.

Colorado is being watched closely by legislators in Oregon, Minnesota, Washington, California and elsewhere. It's a test case. If the punishments are swift and sure next year, Colorado gun owners can secure a profoundly important victory for us all. But if the reaction is weak or muddled, expect more of the same from similar states.

Shanghai McCoy
March 19, 2013, 09:44 PM
The acts of an absentee tyrant were what caused freedom minded people to rise up and defend their land. Bloomberg is the George Soros of the east coast and, hopefully, those of us in the mid-west will be able to keeps him and his minions at bay...

Sheepdog1968
March 19, 2013, 09:52 PM
I live in CA and I don't laugh about any of it new have some unpleasant laws in the work that may well pass.

G'dale Mike
March 19, 2013, 09:59 PM
It seems some of the problem revolves around liberals turning certain states into cesspools, then move to well run conservative states, then vote in the same crap that turned the state they left into a cesspool. Starts the cycle all over again.

avs11054
March 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
Being from Colorado and having numerous friends and family members in Colorado, I am not laughing. I have been writing to elected officials and trying to convince other colorado residents to do the same.

Larry Ashcraft
March 19, 2013, 11:30 PM
If you have a good chance to oust the clowns in 2014, then you had the ability to keep them from being elected in the first place.
Tigers don't change their stripes and anti gun politicians can be spotted miles away.
Wrong on both counts. Don't underestimate your enemy. If you do, he'll bite you in the ass.

More division. Yay. Just what we need. :barf: Thanks for helping out.

Warp
March 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
What did you guys expect after electing Democrats from top to bottom?

Under estimation of the enemy? I'd say that electing all Democrats and NOT expecting some kind of gun control is under estimating your enemy.

MachIVshooter
March 19, 2013, 11:35 PM

What, we should have voted harder?

Larry Ashcraft
March 19, 2013, 11:35 PM
What did you guys expect after electing Democrats from top to bottom?
You guys? To whom are you referring?

EDIT: Enough infighting. Can we have some dialogue from some of our allies, instead of "neeners" from the peanut gallery?

HorseSoldier
March 19, 2013, 11:53 PM
+1. If the best you can bring to the discussion is to blame the victim because it makes you feel safer in your honestly-not-so-safe-anymore-is-it? state you are, at best, not being part of the solution, if not being part of the problem yourself.

Hang together, or be hanged separately.

Warp
March 20, 2013, 12:08 AM
+1. If the best you can bring to the discussion is to blame the victim because it makes you feel safer in your honestly-not-so-safe-anymore-is-it? state you are, at best, not being part of the solution, if not being part of the problem yourself.

Hang together, or be hanged separately.

My state is so-safe, though. Our legislation is and has been going the opposite direction of CO.

Get out there on the campaign trail and do the legwork for the pro-gun candidates. Volunteer for them. Volunteer for the your local RKBA associations. Vote. Get everybody you know out to vote. Mid-term elections are a tough one to get people out on. Well, we all need to make sure as many get out to vote as possible next year.

Arbo
March 20, 2013, 12:16 AM
I live here in CO, so I'm not laughing. And I live far from the big blue cities. On one hand I am not concerned about the legislation because our sheriff is one of the many that will not enforce any of it, and absolutely nobody I know here plans to comply with any of it. But that doesn't mean I haven't been writing letters and sending emails, and I am more than willing to get behind and work for recalls or ballot initiatives or unseating those that voted for this. To do nothing is to let them continue down this wrong path, making it worse as they go.

Arbo
March 20, 2013, 12:22 AM
This is of interest... petition to recall Hick...

http://www.change.org/petitions/colorado-residents-who-support-our-rights-recall-john-hickenlooper?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Pilot
March 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
I am a former Douglas County, CO resident, for many years. I planned to move back in the near future, probably to the foothills like Conifer or Bailey. This puts a wrench in the works for sure. I am very committed to seeing this repealed. I am more disgusted than I can even say.

HorseSoldier
March 20, 2013, 12:51 AM
My state is so-safe, though. Our legislation is and has been going the opposite direction of CO.

Atlanta now probably is what Denver was a couple decades ago, in terms of a draw for anti-2A voters from elsewhere. I wouldn't feel too secure with that sprawling metroplex in my electoral pool.

HorseSoldier
March 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
This is of interest... petition to recall Hick...

http://www.change.org/petitions/colo...share_petition

This probably warrants its on thread to maximize visibility and distribution.

Black Butte
March 20, 2013, 12:59 AM
Liberals and freedom are mutually exclusive.

rondog
March 20, 2013, 01:14 AM
Our new state flag.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/Commurado.jpg

JohnsXDM
March 20, 2013, 01:24 AM
Lighten up fella, I live in Illinois and we are in a fight of our life as we speak. You are not alone. DC never was a worry or me, it was always Springfield this time around.
+1 Living in Illinois sucks too!

BigBore44
March 20, 2013, 07:32 AM
This problem goes way past Libs and Dems moving to your state. You have to look at WHY they moved there and WHY they vote the way they do. Middle aged (or older) works for many years and want to retire and move away from crime. They want to move somewhere with a view that's not smog infested and polluted water. They want safety and security. So Colorado here we come!! But there's a problem. Who to vote for. Do you vote democratic and have the promise of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, a promise to reduce crime by outlawing certain guns and ammo? Or do you vote Republican and the (media promised) higher taxes, more crime by less government regulation so they must not care, and
government cuts to all senior programs so they can keep the rich, rich?

Really seems like a no brainer to me. Especially since probably 95% of Americans get their news from biased news channels.

The problem is defeating the news organizations that put this crap out. People listen to what they are bombarded with, no matter what side it's on. People, for the most part, are to concerned with their lives to research news sources or stories. There's to many other things to do that entertain them. So they take what the media says with a grain of salt..... But they still take it.

Personally I vote based off of 2 things. Guns and taxes. Some may call me simple minded. That there are many more factors to be considered when voting. My reply is "Why? If the man (or woman) will support my right to have the ability to take him out, he's much less likely to do something (insane taxes) that will cause me to want to do so."

Colorado has a long road to hoe. But it can be done. I write letters to many states that are currently proposing gun legislation. And I am very thankful that I live in Oklahoma. But I write my officials here too. Keep them all in check.

I hope this fight is won by an absolute landslide in 2014. I don't feel sorry for you. I hope this "Has awakend the sleeping giant and instilled in it the will to fight." You don't need pity. You need to get pissed off and fight back. Best of luck to you all.

Milamber
March 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
Large metropolitan areas are very dangerous. Take a look at the hunting ban in the UK if you want to see how dangerous. The majority of the UK population live in city's or urban sprawl. They don't hunt never have so when the socialist's pushed a hunting ban they were ambivilant. The minority conservative countryside were trampled under a big red boot.

It can happen here. I live in GA our Gov' is a weak southern democrat masquerading as a republican. He voted for the mess that is the Lautenberg amendment as a congressmen. He is already spouting expansion of background checks including some kind of mental screening. This state revolves around Atlanta. A blue blemish, but a powerful one.

leprechaun50
March 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
Minnesota is feeling the same problems with the Mpls/St. Paul metro areas. We are being bombarded with the liberal agenda from those areas. Seriously, who in their right mind would vote for a washed-up comedian? Thanks to organizations like the GOCRA we are fighting back but it is an uphill battle.

freyasman
March 20, 2013, 09:56 AM
Brother, I sure as hell ain't laughing... I contacted ya'll's Governor and I'll do whatever else I can. If that doesn't work, I'll make you welcome in my state...

340PD
March 20, 2013, 10:05 AM
Devote your life to, and fund, those who oppose your gun grabbing legislators.

VOTE THE BASTARDS OUT OF OFFICE

Governor, time to look for a new job

sansone
March 20, 2013, 10:07 AM
Nobody is laughing.

I'm trying not to cry.
me too, and I'm on the east coast

340PD
March 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
GOCRA, and the NRA - ILA may have saved our ass in the communist state of MN. All you MN pro gun people did an outstanding job last night. Keep up the fight. Personally I send over 100 e-mails daily to State and Fed. legislators from as many different e-mail addresses as I have.

rdhood
March 20, 2013, 10:21 AM

This. Example: Harry Reid. He is as anti-gun as they come. He fears the NRA and backlash for his own party over an AWB vote. That is the only thing that holds him in check. If he could get an AWB through, he would hold a vote and pass anti gun legislation in a heartbeat. As long as folks in close states allow these people to stay in office, there will always be a risk that antigun factions will be passing laws in the middle of the night. They will abandon their pro gun constituencies the very SECOND that they perceive a tipping point has been reached (ala Colorado). You cannot vote in social liberals and expect them to ignore guns. You cannot be a socially liberal state and expect your gun rights to remain intact.

lemaymiami
March 20, 2013, 10:26 AM
My only brother lives in Alaska but was a former Colorado resident (moved to AK more than 35 years ago...). As we talked about the new laws for Colorado he pointed out that all those years ago when he lived in a rural area of the state folks were concerned about the people moving there from California (he called it "Californication"). Seems those concerns weren't just bar talk... Hope folks in that state wake up and learn from their mistakes.

klcmschlesinger
March 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
I know those of us in Illinois are not laughing at Colorado. We are in a constant fight here and we know how easily it can all be lost. Fight as hard as you can, just as we have been doing for decades.

crazyjennyblack
March 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
I feel sorry for Colorado, but the idea that the state of Colorado is "conservative" or "moderate" certainly hasn't been true in my lifetime. Too many filthy rich snobs in that state. I had a job interview in Fort Morgan once, and I beat feet out of there because of the liberal sentiments I found. :barf:

No, it seems to me the state falls in relatively the same class as Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois. A place you would expect to see conservative traditional values, but instead its dominated by a wealthy freedom-hating elite.

jbrown50
March 20, 2013, 11:54 AM
I've seen more than a few "Thank god I live in (insert state) :neener:" kind of replies here and elsewhere. Those folks are the ones who really need to open their eyes and take note. We were one of those states, and if this trend continues, TX, WY, MT and all the others will be "used to" places as well.
Exactly MachIVshooter.

Many people respond to adversity with denial and arrogance. When we talk of places like NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC, etc. and their extremely restrictive gun laws there are those of us who don't seem to be willing to admit that not too long ago most of the US was that way too. Unless we live in AK, AZ or VT our laws truly aren't that much better than those locations anyway. Any state that requires a citizen to have a permit to carry something that the citizen can legally own, whether open or concealed, is only marginally better.

Anywhere an unconstitutional law exists "in this country", it's a threat "to us all". The apathetic, self centered and defeatist attitudes do nothing but allow the anti-gun footholds to exist. Americans are Americans regardless of what state we come from. I support all pro-2A people whatever state they reside in.

Warp
March 20, 2013, 11:59 AM
Exactly MachIVshooter.

Many people respond to adversity with denial and arrogance. When we talk of places like NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC, etc. and their extremely restrictive gun laws there are those of us who don't seem to be willing to admit that not too long ago most of the US was that way too. Unless we live in AK, AZ or VT our laws truly aren't that much better than those locations anyway. Any state that requires a citizen to have a permit to carry something that the citizen can legally own, whether open or concealed, is only marginally better.

Anywhere an unconstitutional law exists "in this country", it's a threat "to us all". The apathetic, self centered and defeatist attitudes do nothing but allow the anti-gun footholds to exist. Americans are Americans regardless of what state we come from. I support all pro-2A people whatever state they reside in.

Oh, but they are. They really, really are.

jbrown50
March 20, 2013, 02:11 PM
Oh, but they are. They really, really are.
How many of Georgia's legislators are ready to vote in favor of Constitutional carry for all citizens? That includes both concealed and open carry.

Warp
March 20, 2013, 02:17 PM
How many of Georgia's legislators are ready to vote in favor of Constitutional carry for all citizens? That includes both concealed and open carry.

Shall issue weapon carry licenses, handguns in your car without a license, open carry of long guns without a license, open/concealed carry of handguns and concealed carry of long guns with the license, license only requiring an application/fingerpints/$60 and it arrives a couple of weeks later, no "AWB", no mag capacity bans, no purchase permits, face to face sales legal, machine guns legal, suppressors legal, short barrel rifles legal, short barrel shotguns legal, state pre-emption...tell me, which one among NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC can match that? Or even pretend to come close? :confused:

jbrown50
March 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
Shall issue weapon carry licenses, handguns in your car without a license, open carry of long guns without a license, open/concealed carry of handguns and concealed carry of long guns with the license, license only requiring an application/fingerpints/$60 and it arrives a couple of weeks later, no "AWB", no mag capacity bans, no purchase permits, face to face sales legal, machine guns legal, suppressors legal, short barrel rifles legal, short barrel shotguns legal, state pre-emption...tell me, which one among NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC can match that? Or even pretend to come close? :confused:
You didn't answer my question.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
I am certainly not laughing. I hate to see this happen and I never thought it would happen in Colorado. I knew you had the gunshow thing happen a couple of years ago in Denver, but that was not state wide.

I don't favor any kind of carry permit program to be conducted at the Federal level. A law that simply states that carrying a firearm is constitutional is not a problem, but why would they pass such a law?

Warp
March 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
You didn't answer my question.

I feel we are already way off topic, and going further off topic isn't appropriate.

If you would like to discuss whether or not states like GA are really much better than NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC I'd be happy to go into every little detail you are willing to put up with in another thread. Just link it here and I'll join you. :)

jbrown50
March 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
I feel we are already way off topic, and going further off topic isn't appropriate.

If you would like to discuss whether or not states like GA are really much better than NJ, NY, MD, IL, DC I'd be happy to go into every little detail you are willing to put up with in another thread. Just link it here and I'll join you. :)
I'm not attacking you. We're on the same side and Georgia's laws are better. It's just that they're no where near where they should be.

Requiring a license to do something that shouldn't require a license is only one step better than banning it all together or only allowing it to an elite few. My state, VA, is no better.

We need to not allow ourselves to get complacent especially when it's obvious or right there in front of us that our legislators don't fully trust us.

EHL
March 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
Any one of us that live in supposed "free states" could be under the same yoke in a few years, or given another school shooting or something of that like, a few months. The media and the libs are quick to take advantage of the pathos that these sort of stories invoke in audiences.

Unfortunatly for those of us in "free states", California and other blue states are often spreading their filth in the form of their former citizenry moving to our states with their perverse idealogy and gun grabbing mentality still close to their hearts. They often are well armed with plenty of money to buy homes and land in our states, creating even more of an incentive to flock to our "free states". I saw this personally in Utah and later on, in Idaho. I now live in Texas, but I still see this trend even here. (not to mention all the illegals coming across the border also tending to vote for Dems, even though they don't have a right to vote)

Bottom line is, we all have to realize that any one of us could be in Colorado's shoes in short order. Social issues like gay marriage, reproductive "rights", women's rights, and economic issues are covering the real issue of members of government trying to wrestle more control over the people. While lemmings that are sympathetic to the aforementioned issues will cast their ballots in favor of candidates that support these issues, they are also casting an automatic vote for more government intrusion and control.(i.e. mandatory BGC, mag restrictions, etc...) Firearms ownership is one of the major lynch pins that is needed to be curbed in order for this to be realized.

This is only the beginning.

HOWARD J
March 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
One of the cutest parts of their gun bill--------you have to pay a $10 tax to buy, transfer, whatever a gun. Nothing like making money in the name of safety. Ammo tax will probably come next.

mookiie
March 20, 2013, 03:04 PM
No one is laughing...if you are you are probably not paying attention.

MErl
March 20, 2013, 03:04 PM
oh no, it is a FEE not a TAX. there is a big distinction in this state, all tax increases have to be voter approved.

As I pointed out to my reps, it is in opposition to DOJ research showing universal checks linked to disincentives do not work.

foghornl
March 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
I'm NOT laughing here in Ohio. It was a HUGE multi-year battle to get CCW here, a lot due in part to the RINO Goobernor, Booby Daft (ahhhhhh bob taft).

Dave Workman
March 20, 2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks for a robust conversation. I'm going to add a link to this in my Examiner column.

(as promised: You'll love the "occupied territory" thing from Magpul...

http://www.examiner.com/article/colorado-now-occupied-territory-and-magpul-is-leaving?cid=db_articles )

The original Red Dawn was set in Colorado...40 miles "behind enemy lines"

Time for the Wolverines, eh??

C.F. Plinker
March 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
One of the cutest parts of their gun bill--------you have to pay a $10 tax to buy, transfer, whatever a gun. Nothing like making money in the name of safety. Ammo tax will probably come next.
The background check bill required that the dealer charge no more than $10 for his or her services. The bill that charged for the background check did not give the amount that the CBI was to charge the dealer for performing the check. The number that was bandied about was $10 - $12. However, it, according to the bill, must be enough to cover all direct and indirect costs incurred by the CBI in running the checks. So the dealers will be limited to charging $10 from July 1 until the CBI figures out how much they will be getting. Then that will be added on.

racenutz
March 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm sickened that the politicians in Colorado have such little regard for the second amendment but I'm for sure not laughing as the same could happen in my state easily. We have one large city in the state (Omaha) that tries it best to emulate Chicago. So far they've been held in check by the state government but that doesn't keep them from trying.

Larry Ashcraft
March 20, 2013, 05:03 PM
The background check bill required that the dealer charge no more than $10 for his or her services.
There was an interview with The Firing Line in Aurora the other night on the news. The owner just laughed when asked if he would do background checks for $10.

March 20, 2013, 06:02 PM

Such onerous additions suggests that they (the legislators) were never truly concerned about safety in the first place. It's (fee or tax, the effect is the same) all about making government larger and funding it off of our backs. Besides "gun control" it looks like they wanted more "monetary control", too.

Tom from WNY
March 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
I cannot overemphasize the need for all of the Pro-Liberty, law abiding, firearms owners of the United States to quit being provincial and join together as one. The 15 round magazine limit in CO is more than 2x what is legal in NY. Pre-bans may still be legal there, I have not yet read the law; in NY, possession is a FELONY. UBC's, we have them too. But in CO, you may still be able to buy ammo without a BC. And, you still can carry on a college campus (felony in NY).

What was jammed down the throats of CO citizens was an abomination, but in NY, it was imposed from the Emperor without even a hint of legislative process. An edict, legalized by a body of sycophantic dictators. Want to live here? Want to find a reasonably priced 7 round magazine for a Browning Hi-Power? Want to realize the LGS won't purchase your AR because the cost of shipping it out of state will wipe out their profits?

This is what faces all of us. Look at the postings here. King Michael the B. is pouring money in to Wyoming to propagandize against their 2A rights. IL is facing restrictions like NY and CO. At least the Emperor is beginning to realize he is ruling what may become an ungovernable territory and the Democrats are looking at a landslide defeat Upstate if they do not roll back SAFE Act provisions.

If you take your 2A rights for granted, you will be disarmed and declared a felon, forever to be prohibited from legal ownership of firearms. Mark my words. Now is the time to fight like caged animals using our brains and our ability to get the word out. The alternative will be less pleasant.

Laugh at CO? No, I cannot, but I can have sympathy.

MErl
March 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
what government in the history of mankind had ever not been looking to increase revenue? If you can harass a few million gun owners at the same time all the better.

The flashpoint may have been safety but that got left on the side of the road early on. Oh we cannot pass 10 rounds because it'll affect every handgun designed since 1930? Better bump that to 15. Never mind that handguns are what are used for crime.

Mental health? Ha! Was alot of talk about that before the actual bills showed up, suddenly that has vanished.

This is gun owner harassment, not violence reduction. They threw as much as they could at the wall to see what would stick. No AWB because that wouldn't stick. Liability, yeah, folks saw right through that bill.

Sorry that rambled, still quite pissed off. If there is a point, the rest of the nation better hope for one hell of a backlash against these bills in 2014. If there isn't one then this will spread fast.

MachIVshooter
March 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
I knew you had the gunshow thing happen a couple of years ago in Denver, but that was not state wide.

It was 13 years ago, and it most certainly is state-wide. Until now, that was the ONLY law we had that was stricter than federal.

Justin
March 20, 2013, 07:55 PM
There's a lot of blaming the victim in all of this.

While the influx of leftists from places like California is likely a large part of what's caused this, the Republican party has managed to shoot itself in the foot in order to court another demographic imported from California: the religious right.

The Colorado Republican party's stance on social issues has been and, so far as I can tell, will continue to be an albatross around the neck of Colorado Republicans and Libertarians for the foreseeable future.

Very, very few Colorado conservatives are primarily motivated to hit the polls because they want to prevent members of the LGBT community from getting into a civil union, or because they're well and truly afraid that some working professional might opt to light up a joint on the weekend instead of getting blitzed on liquor.

The Colorado Republican party is, unfortunately, in a shambles because the two major hills they've opted to make stands on (civil unions and legalized weed) have done nothing but drive people into the arms of the opposition while simultaneously galvanizing the people in favor of those things into a serious political force.

Had they stuck to being pro-business, pro-freedom (like the majority of Colorado citizens) this situation would have never happened.

Blaming Colorado voters for this situation is akin to blaming a domestic violence victim for the bruises she's got around her eyes.

mokin
March 20, 2013, 08:37 PM
Well said Justin.

I remember my eightth grade social studies teacher expressing his satisfaction on the fact that over two-thirds of the states' population lived east of the the Rockies, specifically along the I-25 corridor. That was in the eightys.

I always figured those chickens would come home to roost. Now I'm waiting to see what happens in the next election cycle. Things just got interesting. We need to really come together as gun owners and take back our rights. The Republican party in Colorado needs to do a better job on picking its' battles.

hovercat
March 20, 2013, 10:11 PM
I am guessing that yhose issues were not the major party platform. Any republican candidate in the country can walk out of a meeting with business leaders about bringing in more jobs. Outside, after 30 questions about the meeting, one reporter will shout "Do you support gay marriage?" The candidate answers 'no' and goes on to answer another 30 questions about the meeting. Guess what the headlines will be?
These are not the battles that are sought.

MErl
March 20, 2013, 10:26 PM
Here in CO they spent alot of time & effort blocking it last session.
This session, even with no chance of it going anywhere, there were still multiple abortion restriction/ban bills submitted.

Stuff like that is not helping bring in more votes. Not here at least. I'm just afraid that they'll run some fundamentalist against Hick and he'll get re-elected. Gun owners may not be enough.

Dave Workman
March 21, 2013, 12:31 AM
Blaming Colorado voters for this situation is akin to blaming a domestic violence victim for the bruises she's got around her eyes.

Well, who else would be to blame?
The voters elected the schmucks who just took a giant dump on your civil rights. They didn't get into office by way of a coup.

Voters who have forgotten, or perhaps never learned, that you're supposed to EARN your way instead of allowing the government to hand it to you by taking it away first from the people who did earn it.

And a few too many people think that going through life stoned, lazy and stupid is easier than working.

Got the same dynamic up here in Washington.

The fact that Republicans occasionally field a bonehead would be offset by the boneheads Democrats field, except that the press is largely in the bag for the far left end of the Democrat party, so naturally they will ignore "D" stupidity and focus on "R" stupidity.

I can say that because I'm a card-carrying journalist and I know the turf.

The press has lapped this B.S. up about "assault clips" and "people don't hunt deer with bazookas." And too many voters lapped it up as well, and they keep voting for these people.

We've evidently reached a point where social issues trump civil rights. Somebody explain how that is a good thing.

However, this is not like blaming the domestic violence victim for her bruises. A lot of those voters don't feel abused or bruised, and they honestly believe that stepping on your rights makes them safer.

A while back I did a story about a gun shop owner down in Arizona who refused to cater to anybody who voted for Obama in November on the grounds they were too stupid to own guns. It was an interesting interview.

Justin
March 21, 2013, 01:14 AM
Well, who else would be to blame?

The Republican party in this state is grossly out of touch with the voters, which is why they've essentially handed the House, Senate, and Governorship to the Democrats.

Read my previous post.

Voters who have forgotten, or perhaps never learned, that you're supposed to EARN your way instead of allowing the government to hand it to you by taking it away first from the people who did earn it.

And a few too many people think that going through life stoned, lazy and stupid is easier than working.

From what I've seen, the MMJ and recreational weed dealers seem to be some of the most industrious and productive new members of the Colorado business community. Of course, the alternative is that a bunch of disheveled, shiftless, jobless, bong-huffing bums were able to route the state's Republicans, in which case, we're in much deeper trouble that I thought.

The fact that Republicans occasionally field a bonehead would be offset by the boneheads Democrats field, except that the press is largely in the bag for the far left end of the Democrat party, so naturally they will ignore "D" stupidity and focus on "R" stupidity.

I can say that because I'm a card-carrying journalist and I know the turf.

The problem is at the party level, not at the level of individual candidates. The Republicans in this state managed to try to shut down two major issues that, so far as I can tell, had overwhelming public support: civil unions and legalizing marijuana.

I hate to say it, but those are terrible flags to try to rally the troops around.

On top of that, you have the perception that Colorado Democrats were "different." Hickenlooper is the perfect example of that. He's generally pro-business, pro-energy development (he's a proponent of fracking), and has, at least in the past, been neutral to vaguely-pro on gun control.

For instance, here's what he said on gun control on July 22 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eot7E5b4x-0

Between the Republican party's missteps on social issues, and the perception that Western Democrats tend to be more pro-liberty than their east/west coast brethren, the Republicans didn't stand a chance.

Again, this isn't a failure on the part of the voters. It's a failure to connect with those voters on the part of the Republican party in a state that leans pro-liberty and has a media that is not nearly as aggressively leftist as you find in most other places.

MachIVshooter
March 21, 2013, 01:50 AM
It's a failure to connect with those voters on the part of the Republican party in a state that leans pro-liberty

This.

Colorado is a very libertarian state. We have a HUGE independent voter base, and the population is overwhelmingly comprised of fiscally conservative, socially liberal voters. I'm in that crowd; Don't give a rat's posterior about gay people doing their thing or legalized pot, and I want minimal government interference in my life. Basically, if you're not hurting anyone else, carry on, and leave me in peace.

As a state, we lean right more often than left historically, but it's never been a solid red state like our neighbor to the North. In presidential elections, we've been red 22 times, blue 12 times and independent once.

The republican party HAS to start being more libertarian, or it is doomed. That applies nationally as well as the state.

That said, I am quite confident the democrats have sealed their fate here. People are PISSED. Even I am shocked at the number of times so far I've heard "I voted for (Hick, Salazar, whatever democrat). I will never make that mistake again." from democrats and independents alike. They really are going to pay for this. They might have gotten out with just a few lumps on the UBC, but the mag ban is going to leave them bruised and beaten.

mrvco
March 21, 2013, 04:26 AM
Agreed Justin.

HankR
March 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
+1 on Justin and MachIVshooter above. And this is a model for the rest of the country. The Republicans need to wise up or be replaced with something that works.

X-Rap
March 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'm always amused by those who think we will win by being more like them. Many of us believe the immorality and lack of values that the opposition exibits is nothing we wish to emulate. I have no problem with true Libertarian values but to me that means not recognizing the rights of some at the loss of others nor embracing anarchy and no rule of law. I won't be so bold as to claim to speak for the majority but outside the I-25 corridor social issues matter to conservatives.

grilledcheese
March 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
“It's 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I've got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: "The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall", "John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache". Its twelve o'clock, America, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song.”
[The Battle Hymn of the Republic begins to play]

Justin has a line from the above as his location. Seemed fitting to post the whole thing.

Jeffrey

Arbo
March 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
This.

Colorado is a very libertarian state. We have a HUGE independent voter base, and the population is overwhelmingly comprised of fiscally conservative, socially liberal voters. I'm in that crowd; Don't give a rat's posterior about gay people doing their thing or legalized pot, and I want minimal government interference in my life. Basically, if you're not hurting anyone else, carry on, and leave me in peace.

As a state, we lean right more often than left historically, but it's never been a solid red state like our neighbor to the North. In presidential elections, we've been red 22 times, blue 12 times and independent once.

The republican party HAS to start being more libertarian, or it is doomed. That applies nationally as well as the state.

That said, I am quite confident the democrats have sealed their fate here. People are PISSED. Even I am shocked at the number of times so far I've heard "I voted for (Hick, Salazar, whatever democrat). I will never make that mistake again." from democrats and independents alike. They really are going to pay for this. They might have gotten out with just a few lumps on the UBC, but the mag ban is going to leave them bruised and beaten.
I pretty much agree with this. I support the Constitution, not a party. In my view, the 2nd is a right that can not be taken away (legally) by government, and in the same matter, equal rights is equal rights, even if you find 'those people' to be 'icky'. Neither party shows much consistency, thus I have a hard time voting for either... We need more people that stand for the Constitution over party.

alsaqr
March 21, 2013, 08:38 PM
It appears to me, an outsider, that CO voters shooed in some dedicated anti-gunners when they legalized dope: The Democrats picked up five house seats in 2012.

In 1980 the national Republican party redefined conservatism to mean a bunch of feel good stuff. Their so called "American values agenda" worked wonders for years, then in2006 it failed. If the party is to remain viable they need to get their act together.

EHL
March 21, 2013, 11:05 PM
Colorado is a very libertarian state. We have a HUGE independent voter base, and the population is overwhelmingly comprised of fiscally conservative, socially liberal voters. I'm in that crowd;

THIS is why Colorado is in the shape that it's in. You want to vote for dope and gay marriage? Then you better be ready to turn in your guns as well.

For those of you scratching your heads as to why the Dems you voted for are now trying to take your guns, you really ought to look at the Dems party platform and your question will be answered. What? Did you really think all they wanted to do was leagalize weed, gay marriage, and easy abortions? You didn't think they were going to go after our guns again?:rolleyes:

+1 on Justin and MachIVshooter above. And this is a model for the rest of the country. The Republicans need to wise up or be replaced with something that works.

You would prefer more politicians with an unabashed contempt for your firearms, than some Republican with questionable judgement in how they are trying to fire up their base?:uhoh:

The Republican party in this state is grossly out of touch with the voters, which is why they've essentially handed the House, Senate, and Governorship to the Democrats.

I've seen some real gaffes made by the other side as well. That doesn't stop their re-election year after year. The people support them. That's it. Ultimately, whatever their elected Rep does in their name, is on the people who elected them. If the people are really that much in disagreement with their Rep now, than they ought to call for a recall election. I've seen some news on this possibly happening, but we'll know if this ever really gains any steam. Chances are it won't because the majority of the voters are too apathetic to care about this.:banghead:

Arbo
March 21, 2013, 11:15 PM
THIS is why Colorado is in the shape that it's in. You want to vote for dope and gay marriage? Then you better be ready to turn in your guns as well.

Nonsense. Freedom and liberty do not have a side, though it seems most often those on the right seem confused about that.

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:16 PM
Nonsense. Freedom and liberty do not have a side, though it seems most often those on the right seem confused about that.

Yup the ones on the left are never confused about it.

EHL
March 21, 2013, 11:24 PM

Right now the ones on the left are trying to take away both. If you look at the list of Senators who are against the Feinstein gun grab, they almost all have an (R) by their name. Coincidence???:scrutiny:

This isn't a bash on partys. This is just a numerical fact. More (D)'s are on the opposite side of the aisle on this one guys. If the Repubs were the ones pushing this, I'd be against them just as vehemently against them. Right now though, they seem to be the only standing up for all of our rights. (admittedly there are a few Dems in rural states that fear for their re-election prospects so they won't support this either)

MachIVshooter
March 22, 2013, 01:27 AM

For those of you scratching your heads as to why the Dems you voted for are now trying to take your guns, you really ought to look at the Dems party platform and your question will be answered. What? Did you really think all they wanted to do was leagalize weed, gay marriage, and easy abortions? You didn't think they were going to go after our guns again?

I have never voted for a democrat in my life, never will. Be careful who you accuse of what.

On dope and gay marriage stuff? I abstained from voting on those issues, because I don't feel strongly one way or the other. Remember, you don't have to check a box next to every ballot issue or candidate. If you're ambivalent or ill-informed on an issue, just move on.

I am pro life, but don't support overreaching personhood amendments.

I am for limited government, but have no problem voting in favor of transparent local tax measures to better fund fire, EMS and LE. A the same time, if I have to "vote for it to see what's in it", I will always vote against it.

HorseSoldier
March 22, 2013, 01:34 AM

I'll say this, and some will care and some won't. If we let the other side package the narrative so successfully that they can bundle opposition to gun ownership with marijuana decriminalization and gay marriage, we're going to first be marginalized and eventually defeated. Opinions on both those issues track with age, among other things, and I don't see much to suggest that trending among current 20-somethings won't shift further another generation on.

Whatever one's opinions on gay marriage, marijuana prohibition, and other moral issues, should have nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment -- or, really, they should all be bundled into a nice big category of "things government can mind its own business about."

Al Thompson
March 22, 2013, 08:48 AM
Too much bickering....

If you enjoyed reading about "For those laughing at CO" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!