New AR-15: Frequent Double-Feeds

PDA

rainbowbob
March 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
I am new to this platform. In fact, having been strictly a revolver owner for years - I'm new to semi-autos.

I purchased a Colt AR-15 the day Obama made his first post-Sandyhook speech. I only paid a $300 mark-up - instead of the 100% mark-up that is now common.

I have only shot a couple hundred rounds so far (at most). I am getting a double-feed nearly every magazine! Is it the magazine? Does the rifle just need to be broken in? Is it the ammo?

I have a few other magazines available both new and used, and I'll be running those in turn ASAP.

If you enjoyed reading about "New AR-15: Frequent Double-Feeds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
holdencm9
March 19, 2013, 04:23 PM
Do you mean two live rounds trying to feed from the mag? Then: Most likely mags. What kind of mag? Try Magpul Pmags if you haven't. Don't mess around with confusingly-named promags or any of those cheapo ones. AR shouldn't need any break-in period as long as you gave it a decent cleaning and have it lubed up well.

If you mean the spent casing is still partly in the chamber then a new round tries to go in, that can have other causes.

briansmithwins
March 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
Double feed or is the extractor losing control of the round and trying to feed 1 empty case and 1 loaded cartridge?

What type of rifle? Carbine or what?

Agree that real doublefeeds are most likely due to a bad mag.

BSW

Auto426
March 19, 2013, 04:56 PM
Magazines are more often than not the culprit when it comes to feed problems in an AR. What mags were you using with the gun, and which ones were giving you trouble?

jerkface11
March 19, 2013, 05:19 PM
Number each of your magazine with a marker. That way you can keep track of which one is causing the problems.

1KPerDay
March 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
Is it the magazine? Does the rifle just need to be broken in? Is it the ammo?
Which magazine/s? Which ammo? Did you try a different mag or not?

Torian
March 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
I've had many issue with magazines on my M4 (double feeds, misfeeds), and they all ended the day I switched over to PMAGs.

Welcome to the AR-15 club!

Warp
March 19, 2013, 07:52 PM
FYI: Nobody in their right mind ever paid a 100% markup, and CERTAINLY not this week/today.

Just, for the record.

What magazine(s)?

Does it do it on multiple mags?

rainbowbob
March 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
The mag I was using that produced the double-feeds is a 30-round PMAG. I had only put 20 rounds in each time. I loaded it three times - and had three double feeds.

I'll mark that one and then try the other 30-round PMAG. Then I'll try the variety of other mags I have.

Mobuck
March 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
over gassed?

1KPerDay
March 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
Betcha a nickel a different mag works fine.

dprice3844444
March 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
1st,put an extractor enhanced spring kit (donut)in first.than try everything else if it still persists.1st thing i do when i get an ar or work on 1 is this.

Anmut
March 20, 2013, 09:15 PM
If this is a new gun, don't stick any money into it changing out this or that.

1) give it a good cleaning. Bolt carrier group, chamber lugs and feed ramps.

2) LUBE WELL. AR's run wet - this ain't your daddy's shotgun with a thin coat of . Not dripping wet, but a healthy coat.

3) Switch ammo

4) Take it back to your dealer and ask them ***. If it's a big box store or you don't have any confidence in your local guy, skip this step and send it back to the manufacture.

breakingcontact
March 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
Properly cleaned and lubed plus good mag should be good to go. I'd ensure those conditions before looking at mechanical issues.

justice06rr
March 20, 2013, 10:54 PM
First culprit is the magazine. If you are using good magazines that are working properly, then your second guess would be the extractor.

Have you cleaned/lubed or taken apart the BCG?

A new Colt AR should not need any break-in.

Destructo6
March 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
Is it double feeding when loading up or at some random point in the magazine?

A decent cleaning and, most importantly, proper lube should alleviate any problems that shouldn't be addressed by the factory.

Warp
March 20, 2013, 11:07 PM
rainboybob: You never told us what ammo you were using.

Use factory new NATO spec ammo, a different magazine (a good one, like another PMAG), and lube the BCG...I'll bet you don't have any problems then.

C-grunt
March 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Id bet money its a bad mag. P-Mags are the best but that doesnt mean they are impervious to damage or defect. Check around the feed lips for cracks.

MrCleanOK
March 21, 2013, 12:54 AM
If your rifle is trying to feed two live rounds into the chamber at once, then you are using the correct term. It is double feeding. That is indicative of a magazine problem. As others have suggested, mark that magazine and try others to see if the problem persists or goes away.

If your rifle is trying to feed a live round into a chamber already occupied by a spent round that wasn't extracted, that is a failure to extract. That is indicative of an over-gassed rifle or a weak ejector spring. In that case, install this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm), and if the extractor spring upgrade doesn't work, try a heavier buffer.

rainbowbob
March 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
Yes...I'm talking about feeding two live rounds at the same time.

Warp
March 21, 2013, 02:46 PM

What ammo???

I take it you haven't gone back out to try again with a different magazine? That will generally be the magazine's fault though.

rainbowbob
March 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
I was using Wolf FMJHP with polymer coated steel casings.

M1key
March 21, 2013, 09:14 PM
You actually managed to fire "a couple of hundred rounds" with frequent double feeding? Yikes. Ditch the Wolf. Find a few boxes of XM193 or XM855 (good luck) and load in good mags.

M

Anmut
March 21, 2013, 09:51 PM
Rainbow Bob - add additional information to this thread.

Warp
March 21, 2013, 09:55 PM
I was using Wolf FMJHP with polymer coated steel casings.

Use good ammo. Use GOOD mags. Lube the BCG. I'll bet you it works wondefully.

NATO spec 5.56 being the most preferred, but any quality brass case .223 should be fine as well

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 10:19 PM
Use good ammo.

Colt is a top shelf AR it should run ANY ammo.

M1key
March 21, 2013, 10:22 PM

Well, apparently Bob's doesn't. Who knows, he may have an old worn out SP-1...

M

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
My SP1 runs on everything I feed it. But he said his is new so not a worn out SP1. I also doubt ammo type would cause a double feed. It almost has to be magazine related.

Warp
March 21, 2013, 10:43 PM

And I suppose it should run on ANY magazine, too? Bent feed lips, not a problem! A good rifle will work anyway, right?

Firearms, especially autoloading firearms, are, to various extents, at the mercy of the ammunition and magazine used in them.

Read through this, if you haven't seen it before. Pay particular attention to all of the malfunctions that occur with the cheap piece of crap ammo, and the 10,000 flawless rounds with Federal XM193.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Walkalong
March 21, 2013, 10:46 PM
Yep, just like a top end race car needs to be fed properly to achieve top end performance, and AR needs quality mags and good ammunition.

Mags and ammo definitely make a difference. :)

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 10:47 PM
Wolf isn't crap ammo. It may not be high quality but it does RUN. There is no point in an expensive AR if it only eats expensive ammo. This sounds like a mag problem though.

allaroundhunter
March 21, 2013, 11:01 PM
There is no point in an expensive AR if it only eats expensive ammo.

What's the point of a Ferrari?

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:04 PM
So you're saying you'd pay more for a gun that's pickier about the ammo it shoots?

Warp
March 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
We seem to be overlooking the fact that, cheap low quality ammo or not, the magazine is probably the problem.

Any good AR will run on any good 5.56 or .223 ammo you put in it. If your magazine is GOOD. And if you don't run it dry as a bone or something silly like that.

M1key
March 21, 2013, 11:10 PM
QUOTE: So you're saying you'd pay more for a gun that's pickier about the ammo it shoots?

YES

Apparently we haven't beaten the Wolf ammo issue to death yet...

I own/shoot a few higher-end ARs. I like that they work fine and I want to keep them that way. Buy good ammo for your spaceguns folks. Save the steel for the guns you HATE...like AKs...LOL

M

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:14 PM
So your high end AR's are so unreliable that if you dare to put steel cased ammo in them they just don't run?

allaroundhunter
March 21, 2013, 11:15 PM
So you're saying you'd pay more for a gun that's pickier about the ammo it shoots?

I wouldn't drop $3,000 on a Wilson or Nighthawk and feed it Tula or Wolf, just as I wouldn't feed a $1,500+ precision rifle Tula, Wolf, or even Remington UMC...

Now, I would not say that a Colt is to the AR what Wilson or Nighthawk are to 1911s; I was merely using them as an example for high-end guns and what ammo I would (or rather wouldn't) use in them.

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't feed my precision guns any factory ammo. But that isn't because they wouldn't shoot it. But if your AR won't run steel cased ammo something is wrong with it.

M1key
March 21, 2013, 11:21 PM
So your high end AR's are so unreliable that if you dare to put steel cased ammo in them they just don't run?

I shoot the wundersteel out of my Kalashnikovs. I kinda chuckle at folks arriving late to the game attempting to rationalize shooting lesser quality ammo out of their ARs. Oh, didja know steel bullets will wear your barrels out faster?

Good luck

M

allaroundhunter
March 21, 2013, 11:22 PM
But if your AR won't run steel cased ammo something is wrong with it.

Not necessarily. Unlike brass, after firing steel cases do not shrink very well to extract from chambers. Most of the time you won't have a problem, but in some guns you do.

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
He isn't having extraction problems. And since his gun is a colt it's chrome lined so that shouldn't be an issue at all.

allaroundhunter
March 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
And since his gun is a colt it's chrome lined so that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Chrome lining helps, but it isn't a be-all--end-all solution. And you are right, he isn't having extraction issues. But let's get back on topic his ammo doesn't seem to be the problem to begin with so the steel vs. brass debate is out of place here.

Now, if we want to debate aluminum vs. polymer (as in magazines) then let's go for it.... I just think you got a dud for a pmag (rare, but does happen).

jerkface11
March 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
Or a bad mag catch. We won't know till he tries the other mags.

Anmut
March 21, 2013, 11:36 PM
My apologies on my next off-topic statement, but the more I spend on this firearm board it seems like people arguing in threads do not, take the high road...

Anyway - back to the OP; clean it, lube it, shoot it!

Warp
March 21, 2013, 11:38 PM

No.

Would you mind stopping with the straw man arguments/troll?

We have a guy who is new to the AR, who may well not have lubed it properly, who is experiencing a malfunction that is usually the fault of the magazine, who is using cheap Russian steel case ammo. I don't care who made the AR, the standard recommendation is going to be to lube the BCG, use decent ammo, and use GOOD mags (and a different mag than the one that was double feeding). No need to turn this into a stupid brand war.

breakingcontact
March 22, 2013, 12:22 AM
Not necessarily. Unlike brass, after firing steel cases do not shrink very well to extract from chambers. Most of the time you won't have a problem, but in some guns you do.

There is a problem switching between brass and steel. Just shooting straight steel causes issues too?

I never shoot steel but lots of guys do including in AR15s. OP keep this thread updated. The guys here will help you out.

Auto426
March 22, 2013, 12:44 AM
We seem to be overlooking the fact that, cheap low quality ammo or not, the magazine is probably the problem.

Any good AR will run on any good 5.56 or .223 ammo you put in it. If your magazine is GOOD. And if you don't run it dry as a bone or something silly like that.

Warp has it right. I don't think anyone here would call Wolf top quality ammo, but I seriously doubt it has much if anything at all to do with the malfunctions the OP is having.

Assuming that the OP is using a newer Colt carbine such as a 6920, Wolf ammo shouldn't be an issue. Colt gases their rifles correctly to run with pretty much any half decent .223 or 5.56 ammo out there. The OP is having feed issues, which automatically points to magazine issues.

Also, a little more information here wouldn't hurt. What model gun does the OP have, and when was it made? What magazines was he using? Was the gun properly cleaned and lubed before it was put into use?

wally
March 22, 2013, 05:58 AM
For a true double feed -- two live rounds one fully, the other partially out of the magazine -- its got to be a magazine issue or the OP has experienced something really weird and unique.

Perhaps he's confused Pro-Mags with Pmags?

Lots of folks mistakingly call a failure to extract -- fired empty still in the chamber, live round jammed in behind it trying to feed -- a double feed.

I'm of the opinion that if your gun fails to extract with steel cased ammo but does with brass cased ammo, blaming the ammo is ignoring the real issue -- your gun has no operating margin and I'd never trust it under harsh conditions. When I've seen this, its always been an out of spec extractor -- either gap between the hook and the bolt face too small to fully slip into the extraction groove, or the front of the hook was too fat, again preventing the hook from fully fitting into the groove.

I also believe that if you pay top dollar for a supposedly "match accurate" AR, feeding it Wolf kind of defeats the whole purpose as its 2 moa ammo in its best lots, but if it doesn't work with steel cased ammo, best to forget any delusions of having a battle or TEOTWAWKI ready weapon.

holdencm9
March 22, 2013, 09:08 AM
Okay, to summarize

The mag I was using that produced the double-feeds is a 30-round PMAG. I had only put 20 rounds in each time. I loaded it three times - and had three double feeds.

OP, please verify they are Magpul PMAGs and let us know once you try 2 or 3 more of them. If they are in fact PMAGS and not pro mags, I guess you just got a very very rare lemon, and I'd highly doubt you will have issues with other ones. They are very highly-regarded magazines.

And just for the testing phase, use better ammo. Once you know your gun runs, you can revert back to wolf or tula or herter's. I am of the opinion that your gun SHOULD run fine with steel cased ammo, but just for now, don't use it so that it can be ruled out as the culprit.

Warp
March 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
That's a good point. A lot of people who don't know any better than all polymer/plastic magazines are pmags, or that pro mags are pmags.

PMAG = Magpul PMAG, by name.

LiquidTension
March 22, 2013, 12:05 PM
From Pat Rogers, owner of EAG Tactical:

Effective 01 Jan ’11 EAG will not permit the use of the following ammunition in our T&E/Loaner Guns:
ANY steel cased ammo
Q3131A
Additionally, if you bring the above ammunition to class and you have a weapons problem we will not loan you an EAG gun nor will we be able to work on your guns to get them running again. We spend way too much time on problems directly related to the above listed ammunition, and cannot afford to do it any more. It is not fair to other students nor to us. Bring a serviceable gun, sights, magazines and ammunition. Bringing a second gun is never a bad idea.
--------------------------------

Pat sees more rounds downrange every year than just about anybody on this board so he has a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. As has already been suggested, put the steel cased stuff on hold while you troubleshoot the gun.

rainbowbob
March 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I have been shooting my new Colt LE6920 right out of the box. A good clean and lube is the next order of business.

The mag in question is in fact a Magpul PMAG 30. Is there a "wrong way" to load a mag? As I've said, I am until now a revolver shooter. Some of the rounds inserted feel like I'm jamming forcing them into place.

I will do a clean and lube and try some other mags (including the other PMAG I have) on my next range trip (Monday) and report back.

holdencm9
March 22, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hey rainbow, don't be embarrassed. By reading online forums you'd think Colts never need cleaning, much less out of the box. :) Give that bad boy a good thorough cleaning, lube up the bolt and BCG contact points real nice, and see what happens. It still seems odd that that would be the culprit of double-feeding. So try the other pmag you have and whatever else is on hand and see what happens. Also note if the bad pmag has any cracks on the feed lips or something that could indicate it is compromised, causing it to release two rounds on accident.

rainbowbob
March 22, 2013, 05:56 PM
AGAIN exposing my ignorance: What is a BCG...and what do I do to to it?

Warp
March 22, 2013, 06:30 PM
Step 1: Read the manual that came with the gun

BCG = bolt carrier group

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

rainbowbob
March 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link to a good article WARP.

Auto426
March 23, 2013, 04:52 AM
As the others have said, the first step now is to give the gun a good cleaning and then lube it properly. Take it to the range, mark your magazines, and see if the malfunctions still occur. If the misfeeds only show up on the mag each time, then you have found the problem. PMAG's are great mags, but Magpul does put out the occasional lemon.

Ramone
March 23, 2013, 06:40 AM
with a brand New AR, I recommend the rifleman bring an assortment of magazines and good Quality, Full power Ammo (I use Lake City M855) for the first few hundred rounds.

The USMC tech manual notes that Carbon will seal the joints at the Barrel/Gas Block, and Gas Block/Gas Tube with the first few rounds.

Heavy Lube on the BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) is also called for, as 'New' = Stiff and Tight action. Many Manufacturers ship a rifle with a lube that is a better protectant than lubricant, so Cleaning and Lubing is a good idea.

If we 'stack' slightly weak Ammo (or just ammo with a less ideal pressure curve) with a slightly leaky gas block and a stiff action, we are almost always going to have a problem- usually Short Stroking.

Double Feeding is almost always, IMX, Magazine related. I can't think of a 'wrong' way to load an AR magazine, but it may be possible- as each round goes in, make sure it's going in and BACK (would shouldn't really make a difference) and give the mag tap against a hard surface on it back (primer side) to settle the rounds back in the magazine before loading it into the rifle (I do this pretty religiously, but I bet it really doesn't make a difference).

Having at least on other magazine would let one quickly see if the issue was the Mag- even if only one was to be found, I'd be surprised if no one at the range would let you borrow one for a string or two just to check your rifle- if no one on the line is shooting an AR, ask the RO.

Averageman
March 23, 2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/#performance

I looked at this and wasn't surprised at all in the results YMMV, but take a look !
Clearly this looks very much like a magazine issue.

rainbowbob
March 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
Step 1: Read the manual that came with the gun

BCG = bolt carrier group

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf-

I did read the manual - and read it again yesterday. They refer to the "bolt carrier assembly". I guess that would be a "BCA".

Warp
March 23, 2013, 11:08 PM
Interesting.

Well, in that case, lube the bolt carrier assembly. ;)

Liberally.

rainbowbob
March 24, 2013, 12:15 AM
Will do.

By "liberally", do you mean I should declare myself to be a victim of lubrication inequality, establish a focus group to lobby for special privileges for myself and other similar victims, and then insist the government redistribute your lubricating products to us? :rolleyes:

tarosean
March 24, 2013, 12:32 AM
The mag in question is in fact a Magpul PMAG 30. Is there a "wrong way" to load a mag?

sometimes giving a full mag a good rap/knock on something hard, or the bottom of your boot, etc. will help sort out any play...

FWIW, Ive got one PMAG that hates to load the first round but otherwise will run flawless after that. They are not infallible.

rainbowbob
March 24, 2013, 01:27 AM
I'll try giving the mag a good smack to sort it out, as several have suggested. As I mentioned, it feels like some of the middle rounds are jammed as I'm inserting them. Rapping it on the bench just might do the trick.

lynxlead
March 24, 2013, 05:29 AM
No.

Would you mind stopping with the straw man arguments/troll?

We have a guy who is new to the AR, who may well not have lubed it properly, who is experiencing a malfunction that is usually the fault of the magazine, who is using cheap Russian steel case ammo. I don't care who made the AR, the standard recommendation is going to be to lube the BCG, use decent ammo, and use GOOD mags (and a different mag than the one that was double feeding). No need to turn this into a stupid brand war.
I'm new to the AR. Where do I go to find out the best lube and way to apply it? TIA

holdencm9
March 24, 2013, 09:47 AM
I'm new to the AR. Where do I go to find out the best lube and way to apply it? TIA

Not to divert too much from the OP thread. BUt there's a lot of info out there about lube types and where to lube. For the most part, any good commercial lube product will suffice. Where you lube is more important. Lube the bolt and cam pin, and the gas key and the four rider contact points of the bolt carrier (where the carrier actually touches the receiver). A little bit of lube in the charging handle will also be good (underside is where the gas key is sliding back and forth, top side is where the handle will rub on the receiver when you manually charge. A drop here, a drop there, spread it around, when in doubt, drop of lube. Most importantly, just continue to do research and learn and draw some of your own conclusions. Have fun!

daveit
March 24, 2013, 11:16 AM
Haven't read the article yet, but the picture of the guy using the Vagasil bottle is pretty funny.

I'm a soon to be new AR owner too, so this has been a (somewhat) enlightening thread.

Warp
March 24, 2013, 12:14 PM

Did you read this thread?

Link that was given previously in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

MistWolf
March 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
RainbowBob,

It is possible to load any magazine incorrectly. If it feels wrong, it probably is wrong. Each round should lay flat and neat atop the other. While you do need to make sure any preservative applied by the factory is removed and the weapon properly lubed for best functioning, double feeds have only one source- the magazine. The magazine is bad, or the rounds are not loaded correctly. If the round isn't flat in the mag and firmly pushed to the rear so the bullet nose does not catch the edge of the mag when pushed down, there will be problems. If the bullets are inserted so they nose up, you will get double feeds.

As far a lubrication goes, a light coat of oil on the outside of the BCG (Bolt Carrier Group, or what your OM calls "bolt carrier assembly") and a few drops of oil into the carrier through the two vent holes is a good place to start. It is better to use a few drops too many than too few and experience will teach you how much you need to use.

Here are some threads to help you-

The following post is a good one, but a little on the overkill side. Use your best judgement
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

It shows the use of cotton swabs appropriately, but never EVER use cotton swabs to clean out the gas tube. If the cotton comes off and gets stuck in teh tube, you'll be hating life. I've been shooting ARs for some years and have never used or needed a cotton swab for anything. Use common sense and keep your cleaning regimen simple

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79448

AR MYTHS TO WATCH OUT FOR
While over-gassing is a real problem, it is not the source of all malfunctions. No matter what problem a shooter is having with their AR, someone will be along to blame it on over-gassing, even those over-gassing could not possibly induce.

Another myth is that the AR does not have a piston and operates by direct impingement. The fact is, the bolt of the AR is it's gas piston and Eugene Stoner states in his original patent application that the gas system is not a gas impingement system. If you want further references, let me know.

The BCG is not exposed to high temperature gases. By the time the gases reach the expansion chamber of the BCG, they have cooled quite a bit and pressures have dropped dramatically. You can test this for yourself- fire enough rounds at a steady pace until the gas block is too hot to touch, then immediately break open the action and extract the BCG. It will be barely warm enough to notice in most cases. The gas key might be a bit hot to the touch, however.

The gas pressure in the BCG does not push the bolt forward to assist in unlocking. To do so, the pressure in the BCG would have to be higher than the pressure in the chamber & bore. Anyone with even the simplest understanding of physics can see this is impossible.

Another myth is that the AR is not reliable or durable. History has proven this to be clearly untrue. Not only does the AR run reliably, it does so with less weight than most other rifles.

The AR is NOT a weapon's platform. Aircraft, tanks, vehicles, tripods, turrets and the like are weapon's platforms. The AR is a rifle, carbine, firearm, small arm, weapon......

There is nothing wrong with a rifle that needs a little attention. All forearms need some kind of preventive maintenance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. The AR does not need any kind of special or unusual care. In fact, it's needed PM is less than some very successful battle arms

Congratulations on your new rifle. With a little learning and some experience, you'll soon have your problems ironed out

TriTone
March 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
Just want to weigh-in. A few years ago I bought a Colt Match HBAR before Obamas first election, for fear of not being able to get an AR after. I too thought the Colt would run anything, being a top shelf.

Unfortunately, my Colt will not run any of the 1000's of rounds of WOlf 223 that I bought then lol.

However, I did not have double feeding of live rounds, that does sound like a magazine issue. Instead, the fired cartridges were staying in in the chamber, unable to be extracted. I found out later about the lacquer coating on the wolf.

rainbowbob
March 26, 2013, 12:52 AM
OK...I had a chance to run a my two PMAGS tonight. I ran out of time before I could run any of the other no-name mags I have, but I had NO more double feeds and I think I've solved my particular problem. Thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback.

I believe I was previously loading the mags incorrectly - that is, I wasn't making sure that each round was properly seated. This time, I took extra care to push each round down and in place - then rapped the mag on the palm of my hand and could feel everything just kind of bounce into place. This will become a habit.

The rifle ran flawlessly and I was able to put nearly every round into a four to six-inch group at about 45 feet. Not impressive - but I'll keep working on it. At least it seems good enough for most SD scenarios, and I'm a lot more confident with the rifle now.

MachIVshooter
March 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
then rapped the mag on the palm of my hand and could feel everything just kind of bounce into place. This will become a habit.

Good.

I do that with all magazines after loading, rifle or handgun. It ensures that the cartridges are seated properly against the rear of the mag, no bullet noses digging into the front of the mag and binding everything up.

The only feeding problems I've ever had with the AR were cheap or worn out magazines. Incidentally, the Promags you were advised against earlier in the thread have run just fine for me. I like their 42 rounders.

jerkface11
March 26, 2013, 12:27 PM
It's not that all promags are crap. It's just that their quality control is horrible.

Warp
March 26, 2013, 12:39 PM
It's not that all promags are crap. It's just that their quality control is horrible.

I have seen more than enough that I do not plan on ever paying money for a promag.

AR mags I would spend money on:

Magpul PMAG
USGI mags (not all aluminum mags are USGI!). I really like NHMTG specifically
Lancer L5 AWM
Troy Battlemag

jerkface11
March 26, 2013, 12:43 PM
I've got some Korean steel 30 rounders that work fine. I doubt you can get them anymore though.

justice06rr
March 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear you got it running fine. Keep it lubed and use good ammo and you should have no issues.

The only feeding problems I've ever had with the AR were cheap or worn out magazines. Incidentally, the Promags you were advised against earlier in the thread have run just fine for me. I like their 42 rounders.

Mach, are you able to run the 42-rd Promags with no issue and no modification?

I bought one of the FDE 42-rounders a while back to test one out and have had some feeding issues with it. I've read and seen some vids about them being problematic due to some flaws. Luckily I only bought mine for $13 :D

If you enjoyed reading about "New AR-15: Frequent Double-Feeds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!