Colt AR

PDA

43monroe
March 19, 2013, 06:44 PM
Will the Colt ARs accept the steel lacquered casings

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
March 19, 2013, 06:50 PM
Yes, but steel cased ammo is not necessarily good for your rifle.
I just saw an intensive test that indicated that steel ammo will wear barrels out much faster and also wears the extractor faster.

Draw your own conclusions:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Torian
March 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
If you care about your Colt, I would shoot good ammo. It is dirty, inaccurate ammo, not worth shooting unless you have no other choice and don't care about prematurely wearing out your rifle.

Girodin
March 20, 2013, 02:05 AM
Most steel cases ammo isn't really lacquer coated these days. That's said an AR should shoot steel case just fine. As to premature wear, that need to be balanced against the coat savings of shooting steel cases ammo. There is often a pretty significant cost difference. Given that price difference worrying about premature extractor wear seems a bit silly to me. It is a cheap part and the price of it is paid for many times over by even the difference in a single case of ammo. Barrels differ dramatically in price but again assing there will be premature wear (lot of factors at play on barrel life) the price of a rack grade colt barrel is going to be saved pretty quickly too. The only real reaon not to shoot steel case is if you task requires percision that the steel cases ammo in question won't provide. For a whole lot of shooing that is simply not the case. I shoot loads of he stuff through my Noveskes so I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot it in a colt.

Auto426
March 20, 2013, 02:11 AM
Not all AR's love steel cases ammo and some steel cased is pretty weak and can have trouble cycling some AR's with gas systems tuned for more powerful ammo. A Colt should be fine though.

As to whether or not one should shoot steel cased ammo, you can see in the Lucky Gunner test that was linked above that the bi-metal bullets used in steel cased ammo wears out barrels quicker than copper jacketed lead bullets. However, good barrels aren't all that expensive and you save a decent amount using the cheaper steel cased over U.S. made brass cased. Although at this time any 5.56 ammo seems to be worth it's weight in gold, so these comparisons sort of go out the window.

MrCleanOK
March 20, 2013, 05:24 AM
Proceed with confidence. If you have fired enough steel cased ammunition through your Colt that you need to replace an extractor or barrel, you have saved enough money to do so.

TylerS
March 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have a Colt LE6920 and I have shot wolf and silver bear through mine and it fed just fine. Your Colt will eat anything. Here is a video that I choose to believe about steel ammo. I think it is really informative and factual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3UfG960

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!