mag tube extension question

PDA

JBrady555
March 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
I have a 9 round mag tube on my 870. If I got a shorter barrel making the mag tube stick out 10-12 inches further than the end of the barrel, would the bottom of my pattern hit the tube extension? Thanks for any info

If you enjoyed reading about "mag tube extension question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 19, 2013, 07:53 PM
No.

But it will hit everything else.

And with no barrel to support the mag tube against impacts?

It's only a matter of time until you break the threads off the extension, or mag tube itself.

Do it right, or don't do it!

And I am at a loss trying to figure out what good a shorter barrel would be if the mag tube was sticking out a foot further then the barrel??

rc

oneounceload
March 19, 2013, 09:43 PM
Since a 9 round mag tube is about equal to the already short 18.5"barrel what barrel length are you talking about that will be a foot shorter?

Nickel Plated
March 19, 2013, 10:08 PM
Since a 9 round mag tube is about equal to the already short 18.5"barrel what barrel length are you talking about that will be a foot shorter?
An 18.5" barrel is a 6 shot tube I believe. ( 9 shot tube would be somewhere around 22" or so) Either wy your tube is not likely to stick 10-12 inches past the barrel if it's only a 9 shot. Unless you go with a barrel shorter than 18". I doubt the pattern will hit it.

Many competition shooters actually have a longer mag tube (for extra ammo) and shorter barrel (for less weight and better swinging) on their shotguns. Seems to work fine. And looks pretty cool in a FEW limited cases. Usually it looks kinda goofy.

Jerry Miculek's 930 looks pretty sweet. maybe with a slightly smaller muzzle brake

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Jerry-Miculek1.jpg

browningguy
March 19, 2013, 10:36 PM
I don't have an extension that sticks out that far but on my 930 Rhythm it probably sticks out 2-3" or so and no problem at all.

Fred Fuller
March 19, 2013, 11:24 PM
If I got a shorter barrel making the mag tube stick out 10-12 inches further than the end of the barrel, would the bottom of my pattern hit the tube extension?

Your magazine extension would have to be several yards long to have to worry about that, as long as your barrel wasn't bent downward. DEFINITELY use barrel clamps (two or more) to support the extension, if you do go that route.

JBrady555
March 20, 2013, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the info, I also doubt that it would be a foot shorter, I was just using that as a arbitrary number

Deer_Freak
March 20, 2013, 08:01 AM
Must be more than 9 shots in magazine in the picture. My Maverick 88 holds 9 shots and the magazine tube is about the same length as the 18.5" barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "mag tube extension question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!