Pistol Bullet Shapes & Weights?

PDA

Triumph
March 19, 2013, 08:33 PM
Ok guys - I'm a newbie and not afraid to ask. I've done a bunch of reading but still a little unclear on the following.

I ordered a bunch of Berry's plated bullets in RN (124gr & 230gr) because thats what my factory ammo has (shape & weight). I just figured I'd reload what I shot.

So hear is the question. In looking at Missouri Bullets what about all the other shapes & weights and when you would want to use them? For example, when would you use a 185gr instead of a 230 in 45 ACP?

Not sure if the SWCs have any difficulty chambering in different pistols but here is what I am shooting.

45ACP:
Springfield XDS
Kimber Pro
HK45
Springfield XDM

9mm:
Kimber Solo
PF9
Springfield XDM

I think bds has a picture of all the different offerings.

Thanks much for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Bullet Shapes & Weights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
For example, when would you use a 185gr instead of a 230 in 45 ACP?Bullseye paper punching with very light loads.

Some guns will feed light SWC's, and others won't without some gunsmithing.

Springfield XD's seem to be adverse to SWC, and there isn't much you can do about it.

1911's will work fine, but may require throating and mag mods to feed them.

Overall, you can't go wrong with the 'standard' bullet weight L RN bullets though.

rc

Motownfire
March 19, 2013, 08:48 PM
I also load the same weight bullet as what I used to buy in factory ammo. As for my G23 & G27 I have always carried 180gr hp's so that's what I load. I buy all my lead from Missouri Bullet Co.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more technical/scientific explanation than me, but if you want a faster (FPS) round then load a lighter grain bullet. If you want a slower (FPS) round then load a heavier grain bullet.

For all my pistol rounds I have always loaded the same weight bullet as I bought in factory ammo. Now my rifle rounds (30-30 & more so 30-06) I have loaded many different weight bullets with different charges & different powders to obtain the most accurate round for my rifle. Hopefully this helps you out.

bds
March 19, 2013, 10:32 PM
Not sure if the SWCs have any difficulty chambering in different pistols but here is what I am shooting.
45ACP:
Springfield XDS
Kimber Pro
HK45
Springfield XDM

It's the XD45 that had issues with SWC loads as the flat slide center rib allowed the extracting spent case rim to hit the shoulder of the SWC bullet in the magazine. The problem was fixed in the XDM model with the angled slide center rib that pushed down on the round in the magazine so the extracting spent case rim will clear the SWC shoulder - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6642803#post6642803

MBC 45ACP
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138179&d=1299954448

MBC 9mm 124/125 (along with Dardas/ZCast bullets)
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=173742&d=1350888604

In looking at Missouri Bullets what about all the other shapes & weights and when you would want to use them? For example, when would you use a 185gr instead of a 230 in 45 ACP?
I think people use different bullet types and weights for various reasons that may be personal but here are mine:

For 45ACP, I started out loading 230 gr RN but many match shooters quickly pointed out that 200 gr SWC's shoulders cut cleaner/larger holes on target card boards for improved scoring and bullets cost less. It was no brainer for me and I shoot 200 gr SWC more than any other bullet in 45ACP.

As to 200 gr RNFP bullet, there are some pistols that just won't feed the 200 gr SWC bullet (like 45XD). It is actually 45 Colt bullet with a crimp groove but when loaded to 1.195" OAL, the case mouth barely hides the crimp groove and will feed in 45XD "like butter" and hence the name (IDP #4 - XD).

For 9mm, 124/125 gr bullets are my favorite as I need to push the lighter 115 gr bullets harder to reliably cycle the stiffer recoil springs of Glock compact/subcompacts and may increase leading issues. With heavier 124/125 gr bullets, I don't have to push them as hard and experience reliably slide cycling and no leading. By far, the RN is the most popular due to more reliable feeding and lower price. Some prefer the CN shape for easier feeding and prefer the SWC for the same reason as 45ACP SWC.

Triumph
March 19, 2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys - very helpfu.

Any advantage to the TCFP & RNFP in above pics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Bullet Shapes & Weights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!