shipping to Ruger - my experience at fedex today

PDA

thomis
March 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
I have a revolver that needs to go to Ruger. When I talked to customer service, they told me I could use Fedex or UPS to ship the gun directly to customer service, and they could actually ship it directly back to me as long as someone over 21 could sign for it.
Anyways, I went to fedex and told the guy I wanted to ship a handgun. He all but freaked out. OMG he says, I got to go talk to the manager. Waiting, waiting... he comes back and says it has to be over-nighted, "we want these things in our possession as little as possible" he says, as if there were an atomic bomb in the small box in front of him. Then he quoted me $76. I walked out. That is ludicrous.

If you enjoyed reading about "shipping to Ruger - my experience at fedex today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tarosean
March 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Normal price and procedure ( with exception of the manager involvement )

Goody3086
March 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, that is their rule. Same with UPS, has to be Overnighted. When I ship a pistol I have a friendly FFL do it for me, usually charge me 25-30 dollars total. They can ship through USPS because they have an FFL.

Havok7416
March 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
It's a liability issue nothing more. If it's sitting on a truck somewhere or in a distribution center that opens up the chance for theft or damage of the gun.

DPris
March 20, 2013, 02:03 PM
You'll find the same basic policy at both FEDEX & UPS, that's just life.
You want to conduct business, you have to pay for it.
Denis

dirtykid
March 20, 2013, 02:05 PM
With my past experience with ANY carrier, UPS or Fed-Ex
I too would want them to handle it as little as possible

brickeyee
March 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
Or you can find an FFL to send it by USPS.

jogar80
March 20, 2013, 02:49 PM
Is it a warranty issue? In the past, whenever I've had a warranty issue, the manufacturer sent me a UPS or Fedex prepaid label.

tgrogg
March 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
FedEx and UPS don't need to know what's in the box. Just ship it. I've done it 20 times. Thye only ask questions if you insure for value.

Old Fuff
March 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
I would call Ruger again and explain the situation. They do a lot of pre-paid shipping back and forth, and I suspect someone there can straighten out things with FedEx (or whoever) very fast. I believe their shipping label specifically says, "pre-paid," or words to that effect. Most likely a FedEx hub would take the package while other sites wouldn't.

DPris
March 20, 2013, 07:26 PM
If you violate their shipping policies by NOT telling them it's a firearm, they are under no obligation whatever to make good on any subsequent loss or damage.
I choose to pay the money & do it right, and I've spent hundreds at both places over the years in shipping handguns.
I won't take the risk involved in playing games with them.
Denis

Old Fuff
March 20, 2013, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't fool around either, but there is no reason to pay big-bucks when the receiver is a large company that has pre-paid the shipping company.

Otherwise I have always had an FFL handle the shipping, as they can do so for a much more reasonable cost.

1KPerDay
March 20, 2013, 07:44 PM
FedEx and UPS don't need to know what's in the box. Just ship it. I've done it 20 times. Thye only ask questions if you insure for value.
BAD advice.

zxcvbob
March 20, 2013, 07:47 PM
BAD advice.

Not really. Just have to make sure you go to the main shipping depot (UPS calls it their Customer Service Center. Not sure about Fedex), and make sure the recipient has the appropriate FFL or is within your state of residence.

Elkins45
March 20, 2013, 08:11 PM
Most satellite locations won't ship firearms. You have to go to the main hub. I shipped a gun back to Glock last fall and the lady behind the counter didn't bat an eye, just asked "It's just a regular handgun, right?" or words to that effect.

The price seems high, though. Shipping my Glock from KY to GA was $48. I don't know "where the green fern grows" is, but it must be a LOOONNNGGG way from Ruger if that's the rate they quoted you.

As others have stated, I do seem to recall that an FFL can ship it through the post office.

BYJO4
March 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
It's costly to ship guns these days but Fed Ex and UPS are the same. I would definitely declare what I was shipping and insure for the proper amount. If you know someone who has an account with them, you might be able to use their discount on shipping charges.

Black Knight
March 20, 2013, 08:40 PM
The last time I shipped a gun back to the manufacturer was in 2003. It was a Colt Python and I used Fed-Ex Overnight. If I remember correctly I was charged somewhere between $25 and $30. The sooner it gets there the sooner it comes back was my thought.

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 09:05 PM
How much it cost depends on whether it goes to a business address, how far it goes, and the size and weight of a package, along with the speed. What you pay ($25-$30) is not what someone else might pay, to say ship form Jersey to AZ. It's a crap shoot, and a rape of gun owners to pay for overnight because UPS and FedEx can't stop the internal theft of firearms (by their employees). THAT is why they require them to not be in the system too long.

RetiredUSNChief
March 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
I shipped a pistol back to Colt for warranty work many years ago. Just went through a local gun store when I did it. A nominal fee at the time, plus insurance.

Turns out I made out a little bit by doing that, too. The owner of the LGS advised me not to ship my gun with any magazines. I asked why and he smiled: "Because if you ship the gun without a magazine, they'll ship it back to you with one!"

Sure enough, when I got it back, it came with a new magazine! The invoice read "Received without magazine. Shipped with new magazine."

Gotta love the little things in life, you know.

:):)

ares338
March 20, 2013, 11:33 PM
When I shipped my XDS back to Springfield Arms they sent me a shipping label for FedEx. The lady said" do NOT tell them it is a firearm or write firearm on the box. In fact it is better to use a box From Walmart or some other company because drivers have been known to steal anything marked firearm. There was no fuss at all.

ArchAngelCD
March 21, 2013, 12:34 AM
When will it end? We are forced to pay excessive overnight charges because a company can't trust their own employees. It's their problem but we pay the price. You want to save money on buying bulk, well we will fix that. We are going to charge you a hazmat fee even though we really don't do anything special with that package. Again, they are taking advantage of shooters. So I ask again, when will it end?

DPris
March 21, 2013, 02:04 AM
You DON'T write "GUN" on the box.
You DO tell the counter people it IS a gun.
Anything else is gambling.
I'm no gambler with firearms.
Denis

460Kodiak
March 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Yeah, it's a pain. I had UPS drop my revolver off at my house after service. They left it on the porch. I tracked it real close on UPS's website and ran home about 10 minutes after it was supposed to be there. Did not care for it being left on the porch. Delivery guy had no idea what it was obviously.

jrdolall
March 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
I had one to ship back to Ruger a month or so ago. They sent me a pre-paid label via email which I attached to a box and took to one of the "mail drop" places that handle Fedex and UPS. They took the package, gave me a receipt, and I got my gun back from Ruger 2-3 weeks later.

jimmyraythomason
March 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Pay special attention to 27 CFR 478.30(a).

mljdeckard
March 21, 2013, 11:11 AM
Para Ordnance recently sent me a shipping label for a return. It was labeled; "Metal Parts". Worked for me and Fedex just fine.

dogtown tom
March 21, 2013, 11:36 AM
jimmyraythomason Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm
No it doesn't. Federal law only requires notification to a common carrier when shipping interstate to a NONLICENSEE (which with only a couple of narrow exceptions is a felony)

and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
You would be amazed at how many Einsteins ship a gun in the factory box with a giant green REMINGTON on the side.:cuss:

27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Pay special attention to 27 CFR 478.30(a).
478.31 says (in part):

478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped:.....

jimmyraythomason
March 21, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the correction dogtown tom.

Elkins45
March 21, 2013, 04:05 PM
You would be amazed at how many Einsteins ship a gun in the factory box with a giant green REMINGTON on the side

If the gun is sufficiently broken (or a real lemon to begin with) then they may be secretly hoping the carrier loses it, assuming they declared it at a sufficiently high value. :)

mljdeckard
March 21, 2013, 05:25 PM
I had just received a new DVR from Direct TV, and not only did the case fit in nicely, the egg carton ends slipped on the ends of the pistol box perfectly.

mgmorden
March 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
dogtowntom is correct. Notification is only necessary if shipping to a non-FFL (only legal time you'd be doing that AFAIK is if you were shipping it to yourself to avoid transporting through certain areas).

Other than that by law they don't need to know. When I've shipped lately I've just shipped regular ground in an inconspicuous box.

Realistically, in my entire life I've had only 1 package that was destroyed in transit. Another was lost for a few months but then located and delivered as expected. I typically get at least 3-4 packages a week and sometimes 10 or more. Things rarely go wrong.

Just kinda weigh the cost of the gun vs the cost of the extra postage. If I'm shipping a $2k Les Baer back to the factory its going to be declared, insured, and overnighted. A $400 polymer gun though I'll take the risk on rather than pay additional shipping that totals 15-20% of the replacement cost of the gun.

Sheepdog1968
March 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
Normal price and procedure ( with exception of the manager involvement )
Agreed regarding overnight being mandatory. Might even be a law requiring it. I've shipped pistols quite a few times. Always needs overnight and depending whose at the counter mild to no reaction.

Long arms which I've shipped a fair bit as well over the years can go by ground.

Either way just make sure you get the insurance, just in case it goes missing.

BSA1
March 22, 2013, 12:56 PM
My local Fed-Ex has a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. They have never asked what the contents were and since they don't ask I don't tell.

The other shipping method for handguns I use is USPS via a local dealer who charges me $ 50.00. I only do it if the receipent requests it.

UPS's has a very bad attitude towards guns. I was at the UPS hub once shipping a firearm and questioned the clerk about why I had to pay the higher rate when dealers and manufacturers ship at the lower ground rate. The clerk said he didn't know but pointed out the Head of Security who was on his way on out the building. When I asked him the same question all he said was "They are not suppose to" NOT "It is illegal and they are breaking the law."

My point is as dogtown tom pointed out is UPS and the O.P.'s Fed-Ex is using confusion about BATF regulations to extort higher shipping fees for customers.

GEM
March 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
I went to a Fed-ex and the young ahem behind the counter insisted I had to be an FFL to ship a gun back to the manufacturer for some work. No discussion would budge this person. Thus, I went a couple of miles to another with no problem, except the cost. The manager at location 2 called location 1 to chew them out.

I also had some printing being done at location 1, so the young person said I could pick it up. I told them to keep it - too bad. Not paid for and I don't buy from folks who don't understand their own procedures.

HKGuns
March 22, 2013, 01:13 PM
OP Your experience mirrors mine exactly so I'd say it is normal. I thought the young lady serving me was going to wet her pants.

Lj1941
March 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
I had the same experience with UPS.The didn't bat an eye,but it cost $70+ plus to ship overnight to Taurus in Florida.:)

radar1972
March 22, 2013, 02:57 PM
I had the same reaction as the OP a few years ago when trying to ship a revolver back to Charter Arms for work. The guy at the UPS satellite office almost jumped out of his skin when I told him it was a handgun. He just kept saying "No way" until I was out the door.

I then went to the UPS hub location and sent it without any problems at all. I think it cost me $43 for overnight service.

Thiokol
March 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
You will hear a lot of geniuses tell you that they ship handguns via ground service and declare the contents as "tools" or "machine parts" or that you don't have to tell the carrier that it's a gun. That is very bad advice. While it's not a law that you have to ship via overnight service, it is part of the UPS and the Fedex tariff. If you violate their tariff and your gun is lost or stolen, you're SOL if you try to file a loss/damage claim. Additionally, you have to ship from a UPS or a Fedex hub as they will not accept handgun shipments at Fedex Office or the UPS store and you can't drop them in a pickup box.

As to declaring the contents of your package being a handgun, that is a Federal law. Click on this link http://atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html and select item #8.

mgmorden
March 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
As to declaring the contents of your package being a handgun, that is a Federal law. Click on this link http://atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html and select item #8.

That's a FAQ page (ie, not a law), not the statute. The statutes referenced by the very page (478.31) state otherwise.

The actual law has already been posted:

478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped:.....

Notification is only required if you're shipping to someone other than those mentioned. If you're returning a firearm for service it is going to a licensed manufacturer and so the requirement of notification doesn't apply.

Thiokol
March 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
Then take it up the the BATFE if you have an issue what they have posted.

mgmorden
March 22, 2013, 04:42 PM
Then take it up the the BATFE if you have an issue what they have posted.

There's no need to. If any legal issues arise I don't have to worry about their FAQ page - only actual laws. The law says I'm good, so I'm good. If the goal was to explicitly require that you always notify then the entire portion in bold above could be completely removed and that would make it so, but the bold portion is there and does have meaning.

Thiokol
March 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
You'll be good to go up until the time that someone tries to prosecute the issue. So would it be easier, not to mention less costly, to simply declare that you're shipping a handgun/ or wind up out of pocket trying to defend your position if it ever came to court?

mgmorden
March 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
You'll be good to go up until the time that someone tries to prosecute the issue. So would it be easier, not to mention less costly, to simply declare that you're shipping a handgun/ or wind up out of pocket trying to defend your position if it ever came to court?

I go by the same logic I used in the reasoning for the insurance scenario above - nothing is likely to happen, and if it does I'm legal per the statute anyways.

To suggest otherwise is kinda like saying that if a cop says you should let him into your home without a warrant that you should just do it, because even though the law states otherwise its easier to comply.

The FAQ as is is stated isn't technically wrong - more of an omission. The statute it references DOES say that you have to notify the carrier - except that the statute also lists some exceptions when you don't. It just so happens that those exceptions cover about 95% of the scenarios when you'd be mailing the firearm via common carrier in the first place.

orionengnr
March 22, 2013, 07:02 PM
Before you go to the FedEx/UPS facility, go to their website, find the part about shipping firearms, print a copy and take it with you.

That will help Nervous Nellie (and/or her supervisor) get her head screwed on straight, and will save you all a lot of time and frustration.

oneounceload
March 22, 2013, 07:41 PM
Going to their ACTUAL facility, (not the franchise old Mailbox Etc. store), I have never had an issue. You don't need to declare, when they pull up the address, it tells them exactly who you are shipping to anyway. Just use initials, NOT the name
ex: Sturm Ruger becomes SR&Co. at whichever address, for S&W, you use SAW, etc....

Shipping without telling is risking your gun for no reason, you're better off just using your FFL instead

Sauer Grapes
March 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
The FFLs I know don't tell the shipper what's in box, hence their low price. I'll bet if you give your gun to an FFL, he isn't declaring it a firearm. Your no better off than just shipping it yourself.
Guys sometimes whine at me for charging so much for shipping. I tell them, I can ship it ''snail mail'' and not insure it and if it gets lost, your out a gun and your money.

Bud's guns offers free shipping, what a lot of people don't know is, they don't disclose and they don't insure the package. The gun gets stolen or lost, your sunk!

BSA1
March 22, 2013, 09:38 PM
Thiokol,

I have a C&R license and ALL of the firearms I have purchased have came to me shipped by regular ground.

Now don't you suppose that all of those major distributors that ship hundreds, if not thousands, of firearms a week would know exactly what the law and BATF regulations state?

Please post links or case citations of anyone being convicted of violating Federal law by not declaring the contents of the package and shipping a firearm by common carrier regular ground.

The real reason UPS requires firearms be shipped overnight is they can't control theft by their employees. So rather than investigate and fire dishonest employees they stick it to their customers with high shipping rates.

dogtown tom
March 22, 2013, 10:50 PM
Sheepdog1968 ...Agreed regarding overnight being mandatory. Might even be a law requiring it.
Nope, no such law.

BSA1 .....I was at the UPS hub once shipping a firearm and questioned the clerk about why I had to pay the higher rate when dealers and manufacturers ship at the lower ground rate....
Dealers and manufacturers don't get an exemption from UPS or FedEx tariffs.....if we ship handguns, they go overnight just like you mortals. BTW, ANYONE can ship rifles or shotguns via Ground, not just dealers.;)

Thiokol ....As to declaring the contents of your package being a handgun, that is a Federal law
For the kabillionth time on this forum :banghead:.......ain't no such Federal law. Instead of taking the ATF FAQ answer as law.......read the ACTUAL LAW they cite below the FAQ "answer".

Thiokol Then take it up the the BATFE if you have an issue what they have posted.
That was done years ago and ATF admitted their error....but have yet to correct it. Search THR and you'll find the letter.

wally
March 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
Try going in late Friday afternoon, past their "overnight" deadline, I don't think they can charge you for overnight that they know they can't deliver.

Worked for me sending back my cracked slide EAA Witness. I should have been able to just cheaply send the upper, but EAA wouldn't have it :( That's another story.

Its why good customer service sends you a pre-paid label S&W shipping to S&W costs very little 2nd day.

cane
March 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
Here's something that might interest those of you who advocate not informing the carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Scroll down and note what "Quinn" was convicted of. http://www.ledgernews.com/news/top_stories/three-canton-residents-sentenced-in-federal-gun-trafficking-case/article_6eab9e28-ba87-5d44-aa0b-999797a90609.html

zxcvbob
March 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
Here's something that might interest those of you who advocate not informing the carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Scroll down and note what "Quinn" was convicted of. http://www.ledgernews.com/news/top_s...797a90609.html

Not really; who was he shipping to? ("a juvenile, an armed robbery suspect on parole, a convicted felon gang member, and drug traffickers")

dogtown tom
March 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
cane Here's something that might interest those of you who advocate not informing the carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Scroll down and note what "Quinn" was convicted of. http://www.ledgernews.com/news/top_s...797a90609.html
This case is often cited as "proof" that notification is required under Federal law...........For the kabillionth and one time....notification to a common carrier is ONLY required when shipping interstate to a NONLICENSEE.

If you'll read that "article" you'll see that Quinn violated Federal law by shipping interstate to a nonlicensee, and the "failure to notify the common carrier" was dependent on that act.

CNobbe
March 24, 2013, 01:35 AM
When will it end? We are forced to pay excessive overnight charges because a company can't trust their own employees. It's their problem but we pay the price. You want to save money on buying bulk, well we will fix that. We are going to charge you a hazmat fee even though we really don't do anything special with that package. Again, they are taking advantage of shooters. So I ask again, when will it end?
I'm sorry, but UPS and FedEx aren't taking advantage of shooters. They're simply passing on a % of their fuel costs to the consumer. It ain't cheap fueling thousands of trucks, and hundreds of airplanes.

Never had a problem shipping handguns with FedEx. I bring them to my local world ship center, tell them it's a handgun. One of the questions they ask is if there is any ammunition in the box as ammo MUST be declared and labeled per U.N regulations.

If you send ammo w/o proper markings and get caught....then you have a real issue.

Everyone complains about high prices, and thinks they're getting screwed over somehow. Do a little research first. It's not that they don't trust their employees as they really don't lose many packages. In fact, of all the firearms I've shipped, UPS lost track of one for 4 days, and then it showed up.

brickeyee
March 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry, but UPS and FedEx aren't taking advantage of shooters.

They surely are.

The problem is they cannot control theft of firearms in their system for shipping, so they want them in for the shortest time possible.

dogtown tom
March 24, 2013, 02:03 PM
CNobbe Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post

I'm sorry, but UPS and FedEx aren't taking advantage of shooters. They're simply passing on a % of their fuel costs to the consumer. It ain't cheap fueling thousands of trucks, and hundreds of airplanes.

Never had a problem shipping handguns with FedEx. I bring them to my local world ship center, tell them it's a handgun. One of the questions they ask is if there is any ammunition in the box as ammo MUST be declared and labeled per U.N regulations.

If you send ammo w/o proper markings and get caught....then you have a real issue.

Everyone complains about high prices, and thinks they're getting screwed over somehow. Do a little research first. It's not that they don't trust their employees as they really don't lose many packages. In fact, of all the firearms I've shipped, UPS lost track of one for 4 days, and then it showed up.

Sorry.....but UPS or FedEx "fuel costs" have NOTHING to do with their policy on shipping handguns. Those "fuel costs" would be the same for ANY box of the same size and weight. (and it shouldn't matter if I'm shipping five pounds of socks or a five pound box of handguns).

UPS and FedEx have no problem shipping rifles and shotguns via Ground.......if fuel costs were the factor as you claim then why don't they require Overnight/Next Day service for those types of firearms.

You ask us to "do a little research first".......so please let us know what research YOU have done. :scrutiny:

Stumpknocker
March 24, 2013, 02:23 PM
I recently sent back 2 pistols for warranty work, 2 different manufacturers. The first company's customer service told me to package it well in a medium size USPS Priority Mail box and send it to them. They sent it back a few days later same way, just required a signature and ID.

The second company told me to ship Fedex Ground. Got confirmation it had arrived 2 days after the first pistol had reached its destination. Two weeks later still waiting for that pistol to be returned so I don't know how they'll send it back, but I'm assuming the same way, via fedex ground.

***** yeah, I'm using my phone, big deal *****

45_auto
March 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
The first company's customer service told me to package it well in a medium size USPS Priority Mail box and send it to them.

The first company's customer service rep had you commit a felony. Makes you wonder about the competence and/or integrity of the rest of their operation.

zxcvbob
March 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
The first company's customer service rep had you commit a felony. Makes you wonder about the competence and/or integrity of the rest of their operation.

It would appear so, but maybe SK is a 01 or 02 FFL holder. (trying to throw some reasonable doubt out there...)

threefeathers
March 24, 2013, 04:05 PM
I had the same experience with FED Ex, I have a better experience with UPS.

k_dawg
March 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
I suspect it merely is a profit generating decision for them. There is nothing marked on the box to indicate it is a firearm.

Nothing in Federal Law requires it.

HankR
March 25, 2013, 10:59 AM
I suspect it merely is a profit generating decision for them. There is nothing marked on the box to indicate it is a firearm.

If by "profit" you mean "lack of loss caused by theft", then you are correct. The truth is that UPS and FedEx employees stole lots of guns prior to this policy. They cannot ensure that they hire trustworthy individuals, and therefore cannot trust their workers. The less time a gun is in their system, the less chance there is for their sticky-fingered employees to grab it.

And it takes less fuel to transport a rifle in your world? That's why they charge this extra for handguns? Because handguns are bigger and heavier than long guns? I guess I never looked at it that way. I guess I just need to do more of that research you were talking about, then it'll all make sense?

Pointshoot
March 26, 2013, 09:30 AM
The question was asked by someone in this thread about how long shooters will be ripped off by the shipping companies on handgun shipments. The answers are found by reading some of the misinformed responses of those who think "its the law" or about fuel costs. That kind of sheeple thinking is why people get screwed over. These same types probably mail in twice the amount cited on a parking ticket "just to be sure".

Deer_Freak
March 26, 2013, 12:20 PM
It seems like ruger would send you a label and charge it to your CC. Not like you are asking then to hire a courier, they can send the label by email.

WardenWolf
March 26, 2013, 12:48 PM
I still like how Rock Island Armory handled my repair. They told me to pack it up and actually had a UPS guy come to my door and pick it up, free of charge. It came back the same way. No hassle to me.

Sistema1927
March 26, 2013, 06:19 PM
Just used Fedex to ship a revolver back to S&W yesterday using their prepaid 2-day label. Instructions from S&W were to inform them that the package contained a handgun. No fuss, no bother. The man and woman behind the counter were impressed with S&W lifetime warranty.

TheDaywalkersDad
March 27, 2013, 12:45 AM
I shipped a handgun back to the manufacturer a few months ago. I had to call about 10 FedEx locations in order to find one that shipped guns.
Most of the locations made sure to say that they were not anti gun but didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping firearms.
The one place that did ship firearms didn't make a big deal out of it. They merely asked if it was unloaded and disassembled. No drama and they didn't even look in the box.

brickeyee
March 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
Most of the storefronts are franchises, not owned by Fedex or UPS.

Certaindeaf
March 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hey thomis, any word yet?

dogtown tom
March 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
TheDaywalkersDad I had to call about 10 FedEx locations in order to find one that shipped guns.
All FedEx Office locations ship guns. next time instead of calling and asking a minimum wage clerk a question he cant answer, print out the FedEx instructions on shipping firearms and take it with you.

UPS clearly says NO SHIPPING FIREARMS from a UPS Store or other third party retailer.

brickeyee Most of the storefronts are franchises, not owned by Fedex or UPS.
Nearly all "UPS Store" are franchises.
All "FedEx Office" are company owned (formerly FedEx/Kinkos) and all ship guns.

Jim NE
March 28, 2013, 01:20 AM
He all but freaked out. OMG he says, I got to go talk to the manager. Waiting, waiting... he comes back and says it has to be over-nighted, "we want these things in our possession as little as possible" he says, as if there were an atomic bomb in the small box in front of him. Then he quoted me $76. I walked out.

You should've said "OMG"...then walked out.

Deaf Smith
March 30, 2013, 12:14 AM
I've twice send handguns by Fed-Ex.

Now this being Texas they didn't ever raise an eyebrow.

But again, it's Texas folks. EVERYONE has a gun here, good, bad, and ugly, unlike up north were only bad guys and cops have 'em (and everyone else is a victim.)

Deaf

Jim K
March 30, 2013, 12:19 AM
The head of UPS was interviewed on TV a couple of years ago about their overnight policy on guns. He just about flat admitted that they hire thieves and criminals who will steal guns or anything else that stays in their depots very long. I guess it would cost them more to hire honest people or vet their employees than to just pay off on the losses.

Jim

oneounceload
March 30, 2013, 09:36 PM
UPS employees are Teamsters - you're saying those union employees are all thieves?

Wonder why my laptop that they delivered doesn't get stolen. The box brazenly says what it is and yet these items which are easy to fence go through all the time. I worked a summer for UPS when I was a teacher - only the driver would be able to steal something as we went through a metal detector and guard shack coming in and out

If you enjoyed reading about "shipping to Ruger - my experience at fedex today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!