Colt Patterson

PDA

hunterwoolsey
March 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/hunterwoolsey/1e0fe27c-bc6e-43b7-abd8-2fd63fa3e985_zpsd1aab412.jpg

I have this Colt and I was looking for information on the gun. I cant find any on the internet that look like mine. Any information would be .

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Patterson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
March 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
WOW!

It's Paterson, by the way. Someone smarter than I will be along to help you.

Patocazador
March 20, 2013, 03:54 PM
That is so gussied up it's almost garish. Probably worth a lot but reminds me of a pink Cadillac convertible with steer horns on the hood.

4speed
March 20, 2013, 08:28 PM
Patersons have been done up in so many ways they wrote a book about them. Paterson Variations is name of the book. You can buy a copy online quite easily.

It would be highly improbable that this is an genuine Colt antique. It is far more likely to be a replica that has been extensively redecorated by some gunsmith/engraver. I own a number of Patersons and spend some time looking for new versions I do not already have. I can't recall ever seeing one with quite that much bling.

It probably started out in life as an Italian replica whose owner decided he or she wanted something a little more ornate and paid someone a lot of money to get it to this. If that is so, it is also probably one of a kind, so finding anyone that knows anything about it's origins will be a chore. It also probably adds to it's value.

If you are looking to keep it (and I like to display mine) I would buy it a new case. Yours looks a might tattered. Keep the one it is in now in the event it might add to the guns value later. If you are looking to see what it is worth or want to sell it, I would contact some of the high dollar firearms auction houses like Rock Island or James Julia. They are always on the lookout for unique pieces and they like Patersons. They should be willing to help you in establishing an estimated value in the hopes you will consign it to them to sell (which is probably the best way to do it). I have seem some replica Patersons hammer out in the five figure range. All you need is two collectors who both want the gun and are willing to pay for it.

In the mean time enjoy it.

BCRider
March 21, 2013, 01:08 AM
I'd think that the engraver would have "signed" it somewhere on the gun with a marking of some form. That might be a place to start. It could well mean having to remove the grip scales if the mark is inside.

If it turns out that it's one of the actual Colts then this is likely worth a pretty good bit of coin.

4speed
March 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
You would think so but there is not always a signature. I have two revolvers that are unlike any factory engravings I have ever seen and neither are signed anywhere I can see and that includes under the grips. A signature from a well respected engraver is another value adder.

If it is a real antique Colt it would bring a huge price but I think all the big money Patersons have been found except the ones buried somewhere. This gun is in pretty nice condition to be nearly 175 years old but you never can tell.

AlexanderA
March 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
The first question is to determine if this is an original Colt or a replica. (I can't tell just by looking at the picture.) If it's a original Colt, with that level of decoration, it's literally priceless.

Even a replica with that amount of engraving and inlay, that well done, would be quite pricey.

In any case, it's worth consulting an expert.

pohill
March 21, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'd start by measuring the nipple threads if you can get them out easily.
The wooden case is not old.

44 Dave
March 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
Would an original Patterson have gain-twist rifling, I don't think thain clones do.

4speed
March 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
Don't forget copies of these have been made for years. The modern clones from Italy like Uberti and Pietta, and others, are relative late comers. I am certainly no gunsmith by any stretch but a carefully done, hand made copy, made expressly to deceive, might certainly have the same twist as the real McCoy. :scrutiny:

I think I saw a post on the Colt forum recently, where some guy claims to be able to tell the age of the gun by what he calls it's DNA. I think it has to do with the type of steel in the gun. :confused: He offered to test some guy's Walker for free. Be very careful though! He might end up being a "crook" and keep yer gun. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Patterson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!