High On The Hog

PDA

Art Eatman
March 20, 2013, 04:11 PM
Never know what will show up in an email.

The background looks like Texas, with the cedar brush.

Never thought of a hog doing this sort of thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "High On The Hog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rollis R. Karvellis
March 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
I am not surprised, some of the videos I, have seen had some of the young ones getting good air. But that is the first one I, have ever seen getting over the top.

Blue68f100
March 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
I saw a video where one hog used the back of another to get that height.

krupparms
March 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
Just got done watching 'Pig Bomb ' on cable! Right before that was one one getting rid of them! We only are just seeing the invasion of hogs here in S.O.! Why didn't these states make a free hunt for out of state hunters to help cut down on them? Or have any states done that? I would love to hunt them!

heeler
March 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
Obviously they are evolving.
Which proves that hogs are pretty smart.
A friend of mine got aggravated a few weeks back because the hogs were rubbing and pushing the legs of his protein feeder and beating the deer out of the expensive nutrient.
So since we have never seen a hog rear up high he decided to hang it by a large Live Oak tree branch and this eliminated the legs.
He called me Monday and told me he saw two doing exactly what we did not think they could.

alsaqr
March 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
A few years ago we caught several hogs in a corral trap. A boar that weighed about 225 pounds ran around the inside the trap, went on the backs of hogs gathered in a corner and jumped over the 5' tall fence.

Flintknapper
March 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
They will also 'climb' a fence...witnessed that before.

351 WINCHESTER
March 20, 2013, 10:30 PM
On the same lines my youngest son witnessed a alligator snapping turtle climb a 4 or 5' chain link fence and upon exiting the top he landed upside down and they righted him.

paintballdude902
March 20, 2013, 11:53 PM
ive heard that they can clear a 3ft fence

climbnjump
March 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
I grew up on a small hog farm. (Small farm, not small hogs...) When I was a kid, my Dad took hogs to market 10 at a time in the back of a pickup that had 5 foot tall solid walls (solid meaning smooth - no holes or "hoof holds"). Market size hogs are in the 220 lb range.

One day, he was traveling down the highway about 55 mph and felt an unusual rocking in the back of the truck. He checked the rear view mirror just in time to see a hog launch itself over the top of the of that 5 foot wall which itself was all of 8 feet above the roadway, hit the road butt first and do half a dozen cartwheels into the ditch. Considering the height of the fall and the speed of the vehicle, he didn't believe there was any reason to stop, so he continued on to the depot and off-loaded the other nine hogs.

About that time, a car pulled in and mentioned that there was a hog running down the middle of the highway. Pop got back in the truck, headed out, and sure enough, that hog was running on the center stripe like he was on rails headed directly to market with cars passing on both sides of him! Pop got the hog out of the traffic back into the ditch and walked him the remaining half mile to the depot. The hog had a bloody nose and his butt had scrape marks, but otherwise appeared to be unharmed.

Yepper, hogs are tough critters...

41 Mag
March 21, 2013, 06:28 AM
Yep, my bud got an introduction to that when they had several in the front portion of a cattle hauler. They had the front gate locked and 4-5 decent hogs in there. They were loading the 4 wheeler in the back portion when over the top of the gate comes one in the 150# range, landing on the front of the 4 wheeler and continuing right over the top of the rider and out the back to freedom.

Other than some messed up drawers, and a few scratches nothing much was hurt, but it left them with a new appreciation for what they can do if they want to.

Bull Nutria
March 21, 2013, 09:33 AM
Krupparms,

hogs are legal to shoot year round in most places as they are not considered wildlife! Problem is they are very smart and just don't stand there and let you whack em. they get trap wise and breed like rabbits, don't expect he hog problems to go away, they also can carry 25+ diseases passable to man and dogs. so where rubber gloves when you dress them and don't let your dogs eat the guts or blood!

Fellows we have a problem that will be tough to control or solve!! incidentally they eat everything a deer eats and more so they are eating your deer food especially acorns!!

Bull

Certaindeaf
March 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
Zombie hogs would suck.

El Tejon
March 21, 2013, 09:30 PM
Why didn't these states make a free hunt for out of state hunters to help cut down on them?

Don't get me started.:D

I ran into that in Texas in 1995 when I asked the same thing.

There was lots of "MEYE property" and "this is Texas, aint gonna be no hog problem". There may have been some other talking but I was looking at the bottom of my Fat Tire.:p

Lethal Threat
March 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
Old timers always told us to make sure when hog hunting your stand should be at lest 6 feet off the ground. Often wondered why, cause they never got that close.

MtnCreek
March 22, 2013, 01:19 PM
Looks like he's roosted there! :)

So since we have never seen a hog rear up high he decided to hang it by a large Live Oak tree branch and this eliminated the legs.

If you're feeding out a hog to be butchered for cuts (like a 200 lb'er), set up his feeder so you can raise it as he grows. It works his hind legs and makes for better, firmer hams. ;)

a-sheepdog
March 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
I did not realize that they were that capable.I have never seen one jump a fence.

calaverasslim
March 22, 2013, 11:13 PM
30+ years ago, I had a passable size hog farm and made some money. I had always heard that of all the domesticated animals, hogs were the smartest.

well, doan no bout that but if true, just cuz they get loose and go wild don't mean they get any less smart

Double_J
March 24, 2013, 09:37 PM
I read/heard somewhere that hogs/pigs are as smart as the average dog, if not smarter. This same program was showing police search teams using pigs instead of dogs for searching for bodies, so they are trainable.

I have also heard stories about pigs climbing out of traps, and tearing up the bark on a tree trying to get to something they want. When hunting them we should remember that they are VERY adaptable and will not fall for the same tricks for too long, and they will work as a team to get to something.

Patocazador
March 24, 2013, 10:53 PM
I had a pig once that slept on the front door mat at night (outside) and would come and sit on command. He got so big that I could ride him. He tried to throw me off by spinning. I finally butchered him and ate him when he got up to ~400 lbs.

If you enjoyed reading about "High On The Hog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!