NY - Turn in Your Neighbor!

PDA

mbopp
March 20, 2013, 05:06 PM
From another forum:

The letter shown below is from DCJS but was distributed by a Law Enforcement Association to all it’s members. I’ve removed the Association’s information to protect our source but wanted to show you the depths to which we are falling. Orwell was right; just 29 off years on the date!

The Letter

At a time when all of us are finding ourselves doing more with less, a reminder about a resource available from New York State that can assist you in your efforts to solve cases, prevent crime and better serve and protect your communities.

The state has established a toll-free tip line – 1-855-GUNSNYS (1-855- 486-7697) to encourage residents to report illegal firearm possession. The tip line also allows for information to be submitted via text – individuals can text GUNTIP and their message to CRIMES (274637). While the state will provide the administrative support and fund the rewards, the investigation and validity of the tip will be up to each local department.

To spread the word about this free resource, New York State is planning a comprehensive campaign, including public service announcements that will air on television and radio stations across Upstate.

The tip line can provide your agencies with another avenue for receiving intelligence about crimes being committed in your jurisdictions. This initiative is designed for communities where no tip lines are in place and is not meant to replace existing gun tip lines.

Here’s how the tip line operates:

The New York State Police staff the tip line 24 hours a day. Upon receiving a call, troopers will solicit as much information as possible regarding a firearm tip, while allowing the individual to remain anonymous. The caller will be informed that this program is not the traditional gun buyback program but rather is focused on identifying individuals who are carrying an illegal firearm.

The State Police will in turn contact the appropriate police agency with the lead to initiate an investigation. Staff from the Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) will follow up with that agency to determine the validity of the lead. Once the investigation is completed, the police agency would convey to DCJS the outcome of the investigation.

If the information leads to an arrest for the illegal possession of a firearm, the “tipster” will be awarded $500. DCJS staff will handle all of the financial transactions.

State Police staff will explain the program in its entirety upon notifying an agency that a lead has been generated for their jurisdiction. If you have any questions in the interim, please contact DCJS Deputy Commissioner Tony Perez in the Office of Public Safety at 518-485-7610.

Janine Kava
Director of Public Information
New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services
(518) 457-8906 - work
(518) 485-7715 - fax

If you enjoyed reading about "NY - Turn in Your Neighbor!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
March 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
Flood the system with calls about cops and politicians with illegal magazines.

Arbo
March 20, 2013, 05:15 PM
1984... thought crime is next.

GlowinPontiac
March 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
So how do they get the reward to the correct person if the tips are "anonymous"?

But I agreee with ZXCVBOB. Call in every officer/bodyguard you see with a "high capacity" magazine.

Prophet
March 20, 2013, 05:35 PM

This is the very first thing that came to mind.

I'm going to see if there is a NY state RKBA board we could post this on.

58limited
March 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hmmm...reminds me of some history books about the Third Reich that I have read.

USAF_Vet
March 20, 2013, 06:27 PM
My thought exactly.

Ryanxia
March 20, 2013, 06:31 PM
Hmmm...reminds me of some history books about the Third Reich that I have read.
This is the third reich 2.0 but don't worry comrade, it's for your own good.

Kiln
March 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
This reminds me of both Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. Both had turn in your buddy type programs.

12many
March 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
New Yorker tax dollars at work. What a waste.

berettaprofessor
March 20, 2013, 07:01 PM
This reminds me of both Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. Both had turn in your buddy type programs

I'd be willing to consider to give "the other side" the benefit of doubt if they stopped pulling crap like this; it just shows that their true nature is evil.

Texshooter
March 20, 2013, 07:31 PM
The true American Way.

I just totally fail to understand how many people don't see this stuff for what it is. Do they have no brains? No understanding of history? How can so many be so weak?

Lord, I truly pray that the freedom loving people can get out of Ny, NJ, etc., etc, etc.

Try to hang on.

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
They perfected the practice in Moscow, I believe.

blkbrd666
March 20, 2013, 07:48 PM
Okay, whose got a complete list of NY politicians, addresses, etc. so we can get started?

marksg
March 20, 2013, 07:52 PM
This initiative is designed for communities where no tip lines are in place and is not meant to replace existing gun tip lines.

So they already have "gun tip lines" in place?:uhoh:

Ignition Override
March 20, 2013, 07:53 PM
zxcvbob's idea might work.

If it doesn't matter what state we live in, publish the numbers and many of us will call. "Caller ID" might ruin such a movement from outside.
But we could say that we were up there TDY or on a vacation.

ID-shooting
March 20, 2013, 08:00 PM
Reminds me more of Salem. Isn't this why we supposedly have the right to question our accusers?

PlaneJain
March 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/Planejain/Miscelaneous/db1cf0f8ca_zps2ed8d924.gif

wally
March 20, 2013, 08:02 PM
Call in dope tips at every rock concert and college party.

RugerBob
March 20, 2013, 08:28 PM
Sounds like McCarthyism when they wanted you to turn your nieghbors in for being communists.

Gallstones
March 20, 2013, 08:42 PM
The true American Way.

I just totally fail to understand how many people don't see this stuff for what it is. Do they have no brains? No understanding of history? How can so many be so weak?

Lord, I truly pray that the freedom loving people can get out of Ny, NJ, etc., etc, etc.

Try to hang on.

It seems that some people, the ones who think this kind of thing is a good idea, believe that utopia is where everyone is taken care of by the State. They think depending on the State to supply and insure all the comforts of life is the ideal of humanity. What they don't ever offer are ideas for where the magic pot of money is located, the one that would pay for it all.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2013, 08:43 PM
LEOs better be careful if the state pushes this. Many will resist.

Carl N. Brown
March 20, 2013, 09:04 PM
I don't see how you can make an "anonymous" call to the police. Wouldn't the phone company at least have a record of the number and time of the call?

jamesbeat
March 20, 2013, 09:05 PM
I think this has been around for a while.
When my mom came to visit a couple of years ago, we took the kids to the Bronx zoo. I remember seeing a poster in the train station offering a similar deal.
I also saw another one about 'deceptively colored firearms' as I recall.

I live on long Island, and I have only been to the city a couple of times, and always because I had visiting relatives who wanted to do the tourist thing.

bikerdoc
March 20, 2013, 09:09 PM
Hello officer, ya, the people next door are are hiding a girl named Ann in their attic.

Not much of a stretch.

InkEd
March 20, 2013, 09:11 PM
Big Brother is watching AND wants you to watch in case they miss anything.

Sickening! Just like the snitch on anyone saying negative things about Obama website.

InkEd
March 20, 2013, 09:12 PM
I hope anonymous gets involved with this citizens becoming spies program.

jamesbeat
March 20, 2013, 09:15 PM
Soon they'll be telling us to turn in our neighbors who drink >16oz sodas.
Oh wait, they laughed that one out of court didn't they...

wooly bugger
March 20, 2013, 09:17 PM
This is the very first thing that came to mind.

I'm going to see if there is a NY state RKBA board we could post this on.
nyfirearms.com.
They're all over it there.

Thermactor
March 20, 2013, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the Soviet Union during the Stalinist purges of the 1930s where people denounced their neighbors; every one in three was a stool pigeon and sent millions of people for real and imagined crimes of dissent to the gulag to perish.

4v50 Gary
March 20, 2013, 09:37 PM
Big Brother is happy.

sota
March 20, 2013, 09:48 PM
2 words..

Google Voice.

anonymous phone number. and you can even change it periodically. toss in some bogus gmail accounts to create the numbers and a web anonymizer and go have some fun.

Carl N. Brown
March 20, 2013, 09:49 PM
I once accidentally hit the "911" speed dial on my phone and hung up on the first ring hoping it did not go through, but 911 dispatch called me back to see what the problem was, and accepted my explanation I had accidentally hit the hot button. Callers will remain anonymous (to the public) but will be known to police. All police lines including 911 ID the incoming call origin by phone number IIRC. What is the legal expertise of these anonymous callers in determining whether a gun is possessed or carried legally rather than illegally?

It started back in Mar 2012 but has been brought back into the limelight by the SAFE Act.

http://portwashingtonpolice.com/index.html
Port Washington Police District, Port Washington, New York,
main webpage index 30 Mar 2013

Tip Line Targets Illegal Guns

New York State now has a toll-free, anonymous hotline – 1-855-GUNS-NYS (1-855-486-7697) – designed to get illegal guns off the streets. Staffed 24-hours a day, the hotline is the place to call with information that will help authorities identify and investigate individuals who are carrying illegal firearms. Callers will remain anonymous; if a tip leads to someone being arrested for illegal firearm possession, the caller who provided the lead will receive $500.

SAFE If they ever revived the Virginia 1924 Racial Integrity Act what would be a PC name to cover up the intent? It would work in the themes of For the Sake of Future Generations or For the Children. Like the Affordable Care Act that drives up health insurance costs, it would have to be a candy coated crap name.

bushmaster1313
March 20, 2013, 10:16 PM
If the information leads to an arrest for the illegal possession of a firearm, the “tipster” will be awarded $500.

Does a child get more or less if they turn in a parent?

jim243
March 20, 2013, 10:18 PM
The intent is probably well meaning, it is the excecution or administration of the system that will be the telling factor. The believablity of these people as to their intent is what is at question. Can they be believed that it will be for your benefit, I don't think so, they have proved that time after time. Without checks and balances any system can be abused and without the 5th amendment process and protection anyone can be accused of a illegal act without proof and their good name smeared.

Just another violation of our constitutional rights.
Jim

SuperNaut
March 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
How the hell can it be anonymous if the tipster gets $500?

Grassman
March 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
How the hell can it be anonymous if the tipster gets $500?
So your telling me the gun grabbers are dis ingenuous? It's their only way.

vtail
March 20, 2013, 10:36 PM
I would want to report most of the legislature for violating the Second Amendment. That's a crime, right?

RetiredUSNChief
March 20, 2013, 10:39 PM
I wish I could find the string where I posted various methodologies that the government could affect various gun control measures. Turning your neighbors against you by just such a tactic was one of the things I mentioned.

Not only does it motivate and utilize citizens to do the dirty work of reporting gun owners to the government, it also contributes to a divisive and fractured community by encouraging people to spy on each other and stab each other in the back. Tactics which further break down peaceful community relations and contribute to the "reasons" why government officials say gun control is needed, thus re-enforcing their stance.

Grrrr...

jim243
March 20, 2013, 10:49 PM
fractured community by encouraging people to spy on each other and stab each other in the back

Sounds like a normal community to me, so what would be new?? (LOL)

Jim

Certaindeaf
March 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
Psst.. I saw some guy surfing The High Road.. where's my five hundred bucks?

PlaneJain
March 20, 2013, 11:16 PM
Out of who's pocket is all this money they are giving away coming from? :cuss:

PBR Streetgang
March 20, 2013, 11:17 PM
Psst...." is this the IRS?,,,,,I know someone who didn't pay their fair share of the $500 they made" "do I get a reward for turning them in?"

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 11:27 PM
I can hear the buzz of the hummingbird drones over NYC now.

armoredman
March 21, 2013, 01:03 AM
They'd get more snitches if they promised a free tank of gas...

The depths we humans sink to in pursuit of power and wealth.

MachIVshooter
March 21, 2013, 01:21 AM
We need to post the addresses of ALL NYPD precincts here.

Then, at least once a day, each THR member can snitch on them. That ought to be about 20,000 bandwidth-gobbling texts daily.

How about it, NY? I know I can spare a minute a day, and I have unlimited texting!

Kiln
March 21, 2013, 01:51 AM
Yes, I'd like to take advantage of your anonymous tip system.

My name? Yes this is George Orwell.

Well I was calling to report a thought crime.

Yes a thought crime. See there was this guy I saw walk near a gun shop the other day and I really believe that he might have been thinking of buying a gun.

I followed him home and watched him for several days and he didn't buy one but I just thought that the city of New York would like to know that he might buy one at some point in time.

Ehtereon11B
March 21, 2013, 03:37 AM
More than likely, the folks promoting this tip line don't know the difference between "anonymous" and "confidential," yes there is one. So they probably meant the source will be confidential. Which makes more sense because Big Brother always knows who you are. In any case someone needs to resurrect George to let him know he was right. Just not about the year.

bannockburn
March 21, 2013, 06:16 AM
Gee maybe New York can bring back the Hitler Youth too! That's where children were encouraged to rat out their parents and neighbors, for any activity, either real or imagined; all for the glorious good of the Fatherland...that is, all for the better good and blissful safety of their fellow New Yorkers.

kyhunter
March 21, 2013, 06:18 AM
what happens if the hot line gets flooded by anonymous callers? If youre really threatened or endangered by these "illegal weapons" i think thats dialing the wrong number..

ole farmerbuck
March 21, 2013, 07:02 AM
I wonder how long the caller would remain anonymous, where are they gonna know where to send the 'tip' money?

Certaindeaf
March 21, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have a feeling that many will try to parlay a colostomy bag into a $500 bill.. "and he stinks, officer!".

foghornl
March 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
Anyone have Goobernator Commo's address? ? ? ?

Akita1
March 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
I don't see how you can make an "anonymous" call to the police. Wouldn't the phone company at least have a record of the number and time of the call?
Agreed; there is no such thing as an "anonymous" call. Turn in your neighbors, then YOU'LL be safe, we promise...

gym
March 21, 2013, 09:53 AM
I think this is just more of a publicity stunt, NY always had these tip lines. I don't think most folks want to get involved knowing that their name may get leaked, "which happens with everything in NY" on Discovery, and have some guy "who could be bad or good" know who turned them in. They especially in poor neighboorhoods, tend to keep their mouths shut.
Plus I can already see someone being killed because someone thought they turned them in.

KMatch
March 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
Call the number and ask the officer that answers if they are staying true to the limits and if they answer "no", report them to themselves and collect your money when they arrest themselves.

RetiredUSNChief
March 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a normal community to me, so what would be new?? (LOL)

Jim

Heh! In some communities, I agree!

But this a deliberately divisive government policy whoch offers financial rewards for such behavior...with our own tax money.

:):)

If you enjoyed reading about "NY - Turn in Your Neighbor!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!