1k 40sw starline brass

PDA

Clinton
March 20, 2013, 07:09 PM
Just came in mail. Frim order to deliver was 4 days and special on free shipping.

Any recommendations on primers? Also looking for a mold and handles. Any recommendations?

Clinton

If you enjoyed reading about "1k 40sw starline brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
March 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
You bought .40 brass? Why? :D

Primers? Any you can find, IMO. I've run CCI and Winchester with no issues.

BHarada
March 20, 2013, 07:51 PM
I bought some once fired 40 S&W brass a couple of months ago and am still looking for SPPs. I have some Tula primers on backorder at Sinclairs, but who knows when those will get back in stock.

I guess in a pinch I can use some small rifle primers, but for now I'm just holding off on reloading them.

Lennyjoe
March 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
I use WSP primers and Unique for .40 cal loads.

Primers are hard to come by so keep your eyes out for any small pistol primers...

Starline is great brass. There are plenty of used cases out there but there's nothing wrong with buying new brass.

What type of gun will you be shooting it out of? Lead is a no no out of a Glock with a factory barrel, btw.

Clinton
March 20, 2013, 09:17 PM
I bought it cuz I reload of course and dont wanna be buying factory which I cant find much of here. So starline had 1k and I had the money so picked it up. 1k will last me easily a year or better and heard you can reload them 10 to 16 times. So thats more than ill shoot in a long time.

I have a springfield xd40. Is lead out of those ok?

Clinton

oldpapps
March 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
Clinton,

I'm please on two counts. First that you received your brass. Second, that you received brass, ie. the people down at Sedalia are catching up with the massive order rush.

As for lead. I normally load my first go around with new Star brass with my warmer loads, jacketed. After that, they get lead. Sorry I don't keep count of just how many loading my bulk pistol rounds get. 10 to 16 loadings, well, I shoot on my asphalt drive way and seldom loose a casing. What's to wear out? They just keep shooting, loading and shooting....

Bush Pilot
March 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
You bbbbbbought .40 brass? Can't say I've ever heard of anyone doing that before unless it came with a bullet, primer and powder :D

oldpapps
March 20, 2013, 11:20 PM
Sorta off topic.

Two options:

When I was involved in Uncles long term summer camp, we were not allowed to take home play things.
When I was range officer at the PD, I was accountable for the empty brass. It didn't leave the range.
When I worked for those other people, well nothing left the Federal Reservation.

So, option one - you have some place to scrounge brass.
Or, option two - you are or were wealth and could buy loaded rounds.

As for me, well several other I would think, we buy empty brass to load.

Why the condensing remarks?

dickttx
March 21, 2013, 12:54 PM
I have bought the new Starline 38 Super brass. My first 100 rounds that I used for working up loads have been reloaded 26 times. No splits, cracks, etc. When I brought another 100 rounds into the cycle I found that the primer pockets were somewhat loose, compared to the new, but have had no problems with primers backing out.

cwbys4evr
March 21, 2013, 02:05 PM
I bought 40 brass too, but only because there was no ammo to buy

1KPerDay
March 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
I have a springfield xd40. Is lead out of those ok?

Clinton
Certainly! Missouri Bullet Company makes a few good lead pills for .40s FYI.

Good luck... .40 is a lot of fun to reload and shoot. :cool:

Jarradt
March 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
I shoot moly coated lead bullets from Bear Creek Supply out of my GLock 26(with factory barrel) and my 40cal Springfield XD Service. Both shoot great and accurate. No leading or any other issues....

Clinton
March 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
40 is the only thing I have to reload the 30.30 is kinda spendy to reload to plink with and may look into something better... can a rl550b give as good of reloads as a single stage handload?

I wanna get a rifle in 338 lm possibly as I love longe range shooting. I have a .17 hmr ruger 77.17 and have a 5x20 nikon scope on it and did my own trigger down to 2# and its .5 moa 100 yards. No wind of course. But now want a big bore rifle to tweak on.

Anyway for 3k rounds from mo bullet co for 204 $ is almost cheaper just to buy than to mold 2 at a time.. to me my time is free as I love to be busy w the many hobbies I have. Any recommended molds and what to stay away from?

Clinton

dickttx
March 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
I really like MBC bullets and they are 95% of what I have shot. However, I have been accumulating equipment and supplies to start casting. Your MBC's are costing 6.8 each. The most expensive lead I have acquired is $1.25 per pound for wheel weight ingots. Assuming 180gn bullets the cost would be 3.214 per round. Still less than half price.
My other sources are about 30# of Lyman #2 that I cast into ingots 40+ years ago, and about the same amount of linotype. Both of which I got for free back then. Also 30# of range lead ingots I bought from my local range for 50 per pound. So far about 50# gross of lead recovered from my back stop in the country. Much, much more of that should be available when I develop a way to dig more out. About 20# of free wheel weights (all kinds) I have not sorted yet.
The quest for lead continues, and I am looking forward to starting to cast some of the ingots and later on set up for smelting the scrap.

Lennyjoe
March 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
Jarradt, I have some Bear Creek .45 moly coated I'm about to load up. Any tips?

Motownfire
March 21, 2013, 09:10 PM
Lead is a no no out of a Glock with a factory barrel, btw.

All I shoot from my G17, G26, G23 & G27 is Missouri Bullet Co lead bullets & all 4 guns have stock barrels. I have never had an issue with leading the barrels.

gahunter12
March 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
can a rl550b give as good of reloads as a single stage handload?

Yes it can. I load all of my pistol loads, and my .556/.223 loads on a RL550b. Of course a lot depends on the powder you use. I tend to use powders that meter well like WST, Tightgroup, W231/HP38. I can dump 10 charges of WST at 3.8gr, and they will weigh between 37.9gr-38.1gr total. It's a very accurate powder measure.

As for seating consistancy my deviation is usually .001" excluding the first 2, and last 2 rounds which are usually .0015"-.002". Here's a example of my OAL's from tonight's loading.

First 2 rounds= 1.128"
Rounds 3-498= 1.129"-1.1295"
Last 2 rounds= 1.128"

This is just a sample. I usually pull my first, and last 2 to measure, and randomly measure 15-20 of my other rounds.

oldpapps
March 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
Clinton,

dickttx is very correct that home cast bullets are much cheaper shooting.
If you have the time and place to case, it is/can be a great process. Remember, before bullets were jacketed, they all were lead alloy.

I have lead pots, molds and ingots of lead, but I'm too old to cast anymore. (There is a small part of being lazy.) The bullets available from the commercial casters for 30.30s are very reasonable. Missouri Bullet list them at less than $30 for 250. Add a box (or 2) with your order of .401 bullets and the shipping drops to nill. That makes for some very inexpensive plinking with your 30.30.

Clinton
April 27, 2013, 10:38 PM
Just picked up 3k primers at cabelas finally after 5 months of lookung I found some in the store 38 $ for 1k... before all this stuff went up what dis a normal 1k brick of small pistol primers cost?

Clinton
www.facebook.com/illinoisrighttocarry

Muddydogs
April 27, 2013, 11:20 PM
Whats wrong with buying 40 brass? Of course I only buy 40 brass off the sale board and its usually $40.00 a 1000 but I have bought a few. Yes you can load some brass around 10 times but the trick with an auto pistol is finding all the brass.

1KPerDay
April 28, 2013, 01:13 AM
Just picked up 3k primers at cabelas finally after 5 months of lookung I found some in the store 38 $ for 1k... before all this stuff went up what dis a normal 1k brick of small pistol primers cost?

Clinton
About $30 for good American made ones. Sometimes less but $30 was the standard. I'd happily pay $38 right now.

Reefinmike
April 28, 2013, 01:29 AM
Im blessed at my range, it seems everyone abandons their brass. 9mm and 40- an all you can eat buffet. probably collect 200 45 casings each range trip. Two days ago I picked up 1020 223 casings in 25 minutes flat. heck, I stopped picking up 38 spl at 5k.

1KPerDay
April 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
Wow... that's amazing. All that money just lying there. I NEVER find .45 ACP brass. Lots of .40 and 9, though. People in your area must be rich. :D

gamestalker
April 28, 2013, 02:07 AM
I've never had to buy .40 brss or 9mm brass. Right now I have some where around 5k of each, not including the loaded rounds.

GS

ArchAngelCD
April 28, 2013, 02:44 AM
40 is the only thing I have to reload the 30.30 is kinda spendy to reload to plink with and may look into something better... can a rl550b give as good of reloads as a single stage handload?

I wanna get a rifle in 338 lm possibly as I love long range shooting. I have a .17 hmr Ruger 77.17 and have a 5x20 nikon scope on it and did my own trigger down to 2# and its .5 moa 100 yards. No wind of course. But now want a big bore rifle to tweak on.

Anyway for 3k rounds from mo bullet co for 204 $ is almost cheaper just to buy than to mold 2 at a time.. to me my time is free as I love to be busy w the many hobbies I have. Any recommended molds and what to stay away from?

Clinton
So, you think the 30-30 is too spendy to reload for range shooting but you want to buy a .338 Lapua Magnum for the range?

In reality the 30-30 is actually quite cheap to reload especially when loading lead bullets. Missouri bullets sells 30-30 Cast bullets and they shoot very well. I have been shooting the 165gr bullets but they also sell 135gr 30-30 bullets too. Since 250 165gr bullets will cost you only $29 I can't see saying they are expensive to load.

Using once fired brass I can load 165gr lead 30-30 loads for just under 21 cents a round per round. @ $4.14 a box of 20 I can shoot them all day long without hearing the cash register ring every time I pull the trigger.

Even name brand jacketed bullet will cost you only 42 cents a round to load, that's only $8.20/box of 20 which is still well below retail prices these days. BUT, if the jacketed ammo is being used for the range only there's no reason to buy a Hornady 30-30 bullet when any .30 Cal bullet will for for killing paper. That could bring the cost down to 33 cents a round, $6/20 rounds.

ArchAngelCD
April 28, 2013, 02:46 AM
Wow... that's amazing. All that money just lying there. I NEVER find .45 ACP brass. Lots of .40 and 9, though. People in your area must be rich. :D
I agree, there's more 40 S&W and 9mm brass at the range than anyone could ever need but I rarely find any 45 Auto cases lying around.

engineermike
April 28, 2013, 03:55 AM
Don't listen to these monkeys :) people buy 40 brass all the time and $38 per k for spp seems to be average for todays prices. But when you figure that they used to go for under $28 to $33 per k that is a big mark up percentage wise. I saw spp's at a gun show today for $65 per k and they didn't want to reduce that so I'm guessing that $38 is a steal. I do find that when I go to the local indoor range I never seem to come home with the same amount of brass that I went in with and a lot of times it is less. But I will tell you that there is not as much brass laying around as there used to be at the range I go to so I will be forced to buy some brass one of these days.

bigdaa
April 28, 2013, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't dig ya for buying new brass.

There is something very, very satisfying about looking down at your boxes of ammo and seeing the same headstamp and knowing that those rounds have been fired exactly xx number of times.

Yes, I load 40 and use range brass and once fired.

I use exclusively Starline in my 500 and my 44 mag.

I know, apples and oranges in my instance.

Good casting, loading and shooting to you, Clinton.

beatledog7
April 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
I have picked up a lot of .40S&W brass, sized several thousand, and reloaded a few thousand, but I don't think I've ever seen a Starline .40 case.

jack44
April 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
you are part of the problem buddy

GLOOB
April 28, 2013, 07:05 PM
Any recommendations on primers?
For one thing, not all primer manufacturers recommend their regular SPP for use in 40SW.

Remington recommends their "magnum" 5 1/2 primer, rather than the standard 1 1/2. S&B recommends their SMPP.

Clinton
April 28, 2013, 07:43 PM
The govt is the problem and yes I considered just walking by and boycotting that price. But I have 100 primers and im not buying primers for $5 per 100 and a 200 pc limit. Im not anyones "buddy" by the way.

Clinton

david bachelder
April 28, 2013, 07:51 PM
I've bought 40 brass ...... two or three times. It doesn't grow on trees. It either has to be picked up or purchased. There's not a gun range close to me so I order it. I try to pick all of my spent brass up, but sometimes it gets lost in the grass. If I run short, I'll buy more.

I have also had it given to me.

41 Mag
April 29, 2013, 06:34 AM
I've. been loading for a number of handguns for going on 20yrs. I had all sorts of brass from several manufactures and used it over and over again. Some lasted a good while some didn't. Then I decided I wanted to standardize so I ordered 1K of each caliber from Starline.

Out of that, I have used probably 3-500 depending on caliber over the last decade or so, and at the rate I am going my grandkids will have new cases to work with when I am gone. In all that time I saw and even picked up some range brass depending on what it was and the condition. I have even since purchased several K of once fired 45ACP, thing is you never really know if it is truly once fired. I usually use it at the public range where if I loose it it's not an issue.

As for the primers, I was fortunate enough to have had plenty to get me through the Clinton admin as well as enough to last through both of the past issues with the new admin. There again I purchased some of the Wolf primers just to try out and I use them for around 80% of my loads.

As for molds, the Lee stuff gets a bad rep, but they are decent enough to produce quality bullets if you monitor what your doing. A good thermometer goes a LONG ways in keeping the lead at a certain temp range which the mold likes. I also have Lyman, RCBS and a couple of customs. As with a lot of things you get what you pay for. That said it's hard to beat a $40 Lee six cavity for production when you have the temp right. Even if you have to tweak it one way or another, it will produce.

My affliction now are MP molds. They are high quality usually in 4 cavity, and usually have several HP pin options. Are they for everyone, no, but if you find one in the caliber and bullet style your looking for, they will last and you have several options with them. Most other HP molds are either one cavity or two, and only in certain caliber or bullet styles. That is what put me on to the MP's. Thee is also NOE, (Night Owl Enterprises), NEI, Accurate, and a couple of others which also produce VERY fine molds.

If your contemplating casting your number one consideration should be securing enough lead to actually get into things. That IMO would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500# pounds, with the ability to refresh your supply as you go. I say that due to the fact lead is getting harder and harder to come by. If you have no way to recoop your bullets, you will find yourself going through your supply pretty quickly.

Clinton
April 30, 2013, 09:27 AM
Thank you sir for the extensive write up!

Clinton

If you enjoyed reading about "1k 40sw starline brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!