Odd Thompson M1/ M1A1 stock.

PDA

tkthorn
March 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
I bought a butt stock for the Thompson M1/M1A1 off of gunbroker simply because of the milled sling swivel that was still attached to it. After receiving the stock I noticed something odd about it. The butt plate surface was totally flat, not curved ? The stock looks to be totally genuine in every way even down to the pocket for the oil bottle. I have never seen any Thompson stock that had a flat butt plate, has anyone else? __________________ There's nothing like the smell of burnt gunpowder in the morning !

If you enjoyed reading about "Odd Thompson M1/ M1A1 stock." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
March 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
This one does, but I don't think it's what you're talking about. :)

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tsmgstock-450x337.jpg

tkthorn
March 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
No, not exactly. Lol

Jim K
March 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
The original Thompson butt plates were WWI surplus for the Model 1917 rifle, so they were curved and the stocks were made to fit the buttplates, not vice versa. In WWII, when the surplus buttplates ran out, new ones were made to fit the stocks, so they would interchange. I have never seen a flat one, but I think it is probably a repro or one made for Numrich.

Jim

tkthorn
March 21, 2013, 11:19 PM
I had thought that too. With the exception of the flat butt plate surface, it is identical in every way.

tkthorn
March 21, 2013, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't think that a reproduction or a Numrich stock would have the old school milled sling swivel on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Odd Thompson M1/ M1A1 stock." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!