Mauser K98 scope mount options w/o bolt change

PDA

muddcat
March 21, 2013, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for any suggestions on what scope mount I need that will allow me to still use my standard bent bolt. I don't mind changing the safety selector. I also don't mind any machining that has to be done, I just need to know what type of mount I need. side mount, hight turret mount? also what are the advantages/ disadvantages of each type. Oh and BTW I don't want a scout mount. Thanks for any help. This will be going on a 44 Kriegsmodell RC

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser K98 scope mount options w/o bolt change" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 21, 2013, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately, there is no satisfactory way to do what you want to do.

Side mounts come with one set of problems, that of off-setting the scope to the left far enough to clear the bolt. Then your eyeball is going to need to be off-set to the left too.

A high mount on top of the receiver is going to be way too high to get a cheek weld on the stock to use the scope.

If you are going to drill & tap the receiver anyway?
Get the bolt bent and get a low scope safety.

That is the only way to do it properly if you want a fast handling accurate scope set-up.

The only other way to do it is with a Scout mount, which you have apparently have already ruled out.

rc

muddcat
March 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
Well Damn... that sucks.. I hate the idea of heating and bending the bolt handle. One question.. what is wrong with it being mounted left some? does this affect trajectory or is it just an awkward setup?

Sav .250
March 21, 2013, 12:29 PM
May I suggest a Gunsmith.......... All those question can be answered by them.

rcmodel
March 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
Both.
But awkward more then anything..

Again, stock cheek-weld in the same place every shot is critical to good marksmanship.

You can't get a good cheek-weld if your head is bent over sideways away from the stock to see through the scope.
Or sticking up like a turkey neck and wobbling around to see through a high-mounted scope.

rc

muddcat
March 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
good point.. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser K98 scope mount options w/o bolt change" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!