honor price?

PDA

jdex
March 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Long story short, sort of local lgs (town over) had a gun listed on their website this morning instock, I ordered and picked pick up at store instead of shipping. I will be out that way over the weekend anyways so figured i would stop by and see what else they had. Called later this afternoon to see if I could pick it up Saturday (they warehouse some of their guns) got a story that basically said "sorry, that was a computer glitch, we don't have them in stock, and besides the price is lower than our costs" to me this means they mispriced them. I was walking into a meeting so didn't have time to debate it, was just like oh I see.
I have the conformation email of the purchase and order number,but have nor recieved a cancellation email.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "honor price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Akita1
March 21, 2013, 08:32 PM
NOT cool. Make them honor it or cancel the sale.

TylerS
March 21, 2013, 08:38 PM
Have they taken your money? Seems like they offered you a gun for $x, and if you give them $x and they accepted it, then they owe you the gun. Regardless if they loose money. Absent some fine print that states that if they made a mistake or subject to x,y,z conditions they owe you the gun.

GBExpat
March 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
Thoughts?
Over the years I have encountered a couple of cases where a posted price was obviously wrong; e.g., everyone else has an item priced at $500 and one place has it at $300.

Was the price listed noticeably below "market"?

BlkHawk73
March 21, 2013, 09:04 PM
Would YOU do the same and sell below your cost? Is there any honor in taking advantage of the error as opposed to understanding it and letting it slide?

jdex
March 21, 2013, 09:21 PM
The price was low, but basically realistic, pre panic price if you will. But they are known for having good deals. The price was not anything insane Luke half off or anything, just more in line with a "good deal" or what months ago would have been considered reasonable.

To the person who asked me if I would honor a lower price if I was selling-if it was my error yes, obviously if they were tag switching or something now, but an oversight on my part I sure would, good customer service.

jdex
March 21, 2013, 09:23 PM
I kind of feel like it was not an error, but a more of "oh, we could have gotten more for these" we priced them to low, not "oops we priced them to low" if that makes sense.

Black Knight
March 21, 2013, 10:30 PM
Talk to the shop owner and show him your email confirmation. Then tell him you know that it was under cost and you would like to split the difference. You still get it for a deal and he doesn't sting so badly. If he stays put on the new price he refunds your money (assuming you used a credit card) or he cancels the sale. If he wants a customer and good advertising he will split the difference.

TCB in TN
March 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
I have had similar situations happen to me before. My first question is was it priced below cost. If so, then I want to be shown their cost, and I then decide whether to accept that cost or to cancel. I don't want them to lose money, but want to be treated fairly.

p2000sk
March 21, 2013, 11:00 PM
Not in the firearms business, but I have made a sellers mistake like that before more than once. Honored the mistake every time without being asked to.
My mistake should not be my customers problem.
Eating crow is a way to learn.

Teachu2
March 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
The dealer controls their website and posted an offer to sell this item at this price, and programmed their order-taking system to sell the item at that same price. You accepted the offer, and their system confirmed your purchase. Regardless or profit or loss, they are bound to honor the deal.

Merchants sell products below cost for a number of reasons - the term is loss leader. It's usually done to build traffic to the store, where every effort is made to add profitable merchandise to the sale.

This isn't a case of a cost changing after the dealer sent the ad to the printer. This is THEIR website - and their responsibility. They had to make at least two mistakes (one on the item page, and a matching one in the order system). Once the "mistake" was discovered, it's quickly rectifiable, unlike a print ad. They should honor the deal, and I'd bet the State Attorney General would agree.

If you are going to be in business, you have to honor your agreements - and you had a sales agreement.

sidheshooter
March 21, 2013, 11:46 PM
^^^This.

mgmorden
March 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
Morally, they SHOULD honor the price. Legally they probably don't have to so long as they give you a full refund. Realistically you've already laid down the cash. You could have used that to buy a different gun, or you may have passed up other potential transactions based on your belief that you'd already secured the item you wanted. Bottom line - a merchant backing out on a sale isn't just a harmless mistake.

That said, most merchants honor such mistakes so as to not lose future business from the customer. If they don't honor it, I'd make sure that they no longer get that business. They'd have lost my trust in the future.

Agsalaska
March 22, 2013, 12:04 AM
First of all, cost is somewhat meaningless. If you base your pricing consistently off cost you are dead meat. Its about value. Get what the item is worth no matter what you have in it for better or worse. Once you figure that out you will be far more successful.

That being said, this is a customer acquisition and retention issue, something the gun industry and LGS's in particular are notoriously bad at. So this situation does not surprise me for a second. If the price was reasonable than he is a typical LGS idiot. If it was missing a digit then he is probably in the right. I bought World Series tickets in 2005 for $500 that were supposed to be priced $5000. The guy pretty much told me the same thing this guy told you and I dont blame him. No hard feelings. But if they would have been priced $4500 and he pulled back after payment I would have been irate.

NavyLCDR
March 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have the conformation email of the purchase and order number,but have nor recieved a cancellation email.

They agreed to the purchase price - there was a "meeting of the minds" of the contract - both parties agreed to the purchase price. Once they confirm your order they must fulfill that order at the agreed upon price unless exigent circumstances make it impossible to do so (say a hurricane destroys a warehouse destroying the products they offered for sale). Basic law of contracts and agreements.

Now - if they advertise a price, and you place an order, and if they say, "We are sorry, we cannot accept your order for that item at that price because it was a mistake" that is a completely different situation. But once they accept your order and send you a confirmation of that order, with the agreed upon price, they must legally honor it.

jdex
March 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will take my email up there and ask where it is.

45_auto
March 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
got a story that basically said "sorry, that was a computer glitch, we don't have them in stock, and besides the price is lower than our costs"

They said they don't have them in stock. You're going to try to make them give you something they don't have?

I'll sell you a brand new aircraft carrier for $10 if you're stupid enough to send me your money. That's quite a deal, they're currently going for about $12,000,000,000.

Just because I don't have one and can't get one is no reason for you to stop trying to force me to honor my internet offer.

mgmorden
March 22, 2013, 08:14 AM
I'll sell you a brand new aircraft carrier for $10 if you're stupid enough to send me your money. That's quite a deal, they're currently going for about $12,000,000,000.

Just because I don't have one and can't get one is no reason for you to stop trying to force me to honor my internet offer.

$10 is an obvious pricing mistake and you don't normally sell aircraft carriers. You can't use shock value to get around the base issue.

If you DID normally sell them, and had posted a price within a feasibly normal margin of what they normally would sell for (say within 20%, so $10 billion for the carrier), then I'd expect you to honor the agreed upon price and provide the item the next time you have them available.

oneounceload
March 22, 2013, 08:21 AM
Most websites have disclaimers about typo errors; if he did, then he has a legit way to not sell it

jdex
March 22, 2013, 08:31 AM
$10 is an obvious pricing mistake and you don't normally sell aircraft carriers. You can't use shock value to get around the base issue.

If you DID normally sell them, and had posted a price within a feasibly normal margin of what they normally would sell for (say within 20%, so $10 billion for the carrier), then I'd expect you to honor the agreed upon price and provide the item the next time you have them available.
This.

Nebuchadnezzar
March 22, 2013, 09:36 AM
Why do people expect to be free from the consequences of their mistakes?

If it was advertised that is one thing, but money changed hands. They should hold up their end of the deal, eat whatever loss they incur, and learn to be more careful next time.

jdex
March 22, 2013, 01:21 PM
Update- stand up company they offered the gun to me at just a bit more ($30) than I paid, which I feel is fair.

GBExpat
March 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
Excellent news! Thanks for the update.

Teachu2
March 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
Update- stand up company they offered the gun to me at just a bit more ($30) than I paid, which I feel is fair.
An opposing view is that their integrity was only worth $30....

desidog
March 22, 2013, 03:29 PM
they offered the gun to me at just a bit more ($30) than I paid,

So they just shook you down for 30 bucks... i don't think that's good business practice.

"A man's only as good as his word." is a phrase that comes to mind.

12many
March 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
How many of you all who are being so critical of the gun shop actually own and run a business? Have any of you made a mistake at work? Did the mistake come out of your pay check? Messed up a cut on the bandsaw? Did you buy more wood for the owner? No, do you lack integrity to pay for your mistake? Why should your employer pay for your mistake? They are not paying you to make mistakes.

If there were proof or a showing that the gun store practiced this bait and switch pricing all the time it would be different, but there is no allegation this they store owner is dishonest yet many of you are calling him out as a fraud or not having integrety.

I would want to know more before I judge the owner too harshly.

jdex
March 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
Shook me down? No, the made an honest mistake, I can get a refund or pay an extra $30 more to meet in the middle, I feel that's fair.

denton
March 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
Sellers generally don't have to honor advertised prices that are typos. OTOH, it sounds like someone made a conscious decision to post that price for the rifle.

Offer and acceptance form an enforceable contract.

Glad it ended well.

gym
March 22, 2013, 06:10 PM
This sounds like an honest mistake, that the store owner thought over after he gave his initial response to you. He did compromise, so I tend to think it was an honest mistake. I would balk if it happened again. At that point I would make it clear that I was not going to keep quiet about it.
Keep a record of your correspondence with him. If he pulls it again ,it's time to make the calls to the BBB, and AG's office.

jdex
March 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Yea, I'm happy, still got this for a tad under $600, so I don't feel I got shaken down at all, has the $799 sticker on the sidehttp://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/JDex_bucket/IMAG0151.jpg

shafter
March 22, 2013, 09:51 PM

Doesn't sound stand up to me. They should have honored the original price. Making a "deal" after is bad business. They should have swallowed the thirty bucks and made sure to be more careful next time. There's plenty of guns that thirty dollars would make or break the deal.

jdex
March 22, 2013, 10:20 PM
Well I could have pushed for the original price I saw, but I felt it was fair.

slowr1der
March 22, 2013, 10:41 PM
I agree, I'd have pushed for the original price. No way I'd have payed $30 more, and no way I'd do business with a shop that tried to pull those shady business practices over on me.

BinRat
March 23, 2013, 12:01 AM
The OP is happy and feels it was fair. That's what counts.

ChaoSS
March 23, 2013, 08:56 AM
You got a gun at a price you like. That's good.

I wouldn't trust that shop again in the future, if they lied to you and told you they didn't have it in stock. I'd also be wary of the bait and switch tactic they used.

I could understand if it were a 2500 dollar gun that they accidentally put up for 25.00 dollars, or something like that, but if you are talking about a 30 dollar difference, they should eat it and make the customer happy.

Agsalaska
March 23, 2013, 04:53 PM
How many of you all who are being so critical of the gun shop actually own and run a business? Have any of you made a mistake at work? Did the mistake come out of your pay check? Messed up a cut on the bandsaw? Did you buy more wood for the owner? No, do you lack integrity to pay for your mistake? Why should your employer pay for your mistake? They are not paying you to make mistakes.

If there were proof or a showing that the gun store practiced this bait and switch pricing all the time it would be different, but there is no allegation this they store owner is dishonest yet many of you are calling him out as a fraud or not having integrety.

I would want to know more before I judge the owner too harshly.
I do. Human error is a cost of doing business. If you do not factor that in your overall margins you will create a lot of issues. Never create an environment where employees are afraid to make mistakes. Employees are worth FAR more than a piece of lumber or a missed price on an item.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2013, 05:41 PM
Sounds like Buds. Their in store pricing is different than online. They don't warehouse everything or much at all as I understand it.

mrvco
March 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
That sounds fair to me. No sense in freaking out and making a scene over a mere $30 on a $600 gun.

Reloadron
March 23, 2013, 05:59 PM
I had a similar situation long before the Internet. Gentleman called me in my shop and asked the price of a specific Browning rifle. I was busy but grabbed a flyer catalog and looked at it. My cost on the rifle was $600 which without thinking I quoted to the caller as $600. Gentleman asked when I close and said he would be down. I hung up and realized what I did. Sure as heck the guy shows up asking about the price and I sold him the rifle for my quoted price. I also paid the S&H on the rifle. Pretty sad when you sell a new Browning and lose about $20 on the sale. :)

However, the guy became a very good regular customer and a good friend. That Browning rifle became a frequent topic of discussion and always drew a few laughs. The bottom line is I screwed up and I stuck to what I quoted. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive mistake.

Just My Take....
Ron

shafter
March 23, 2013, 08:17 PM
I had a similar situation long before the Internet. Gentleman called me in my shop and asked the price of a specific Browning rifle. I was busy but grabbed a flyer catalog and looked at it. My cost on the rifle was $600 which without thinking I quoted to the caller as $600. Gentleman asked when I close and said he would be down. I hung up and realized what I did. Sure as heck the guy shows up asking about the price and I sold him the rifle for my quoted price. I also paid the S&H on the rifle. Pretty sad when you sell a new Browning and lose about $20 on the sale.

However, the guy became a very good regular customer and a good friend. That Browning rifle became a frequent topic of discussion and always drew a few laughs. The bottom line is I screwed up and I stuck to what I quoted. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive mistake.

Just My Take....
Ron

Something like that would make me a regular too. $30 really won't break the bank for the seller or buyer but it does a lot of good for business to swallow your mistakes.

Averageman
March 23, 2013, 11:13 PM
So I asked for the advertised gun and was told, I'm osrry we made a mistake in our advertising and that was the wrong price, plus we honored the deal and have sold all in stock.
I waited and asked the second Customer Service rep and he pulled out three from under the counter and let me choose which exact one I wanted.
Yes, the liart walked right by and didn't say Boo.
Do what you prefer, but asking and then sking again isn't a crime; but false advertising is.

If you enjoyed reading about "honor price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!