40mm Grenade shells

PDA

cstarr3
March 22, 2013, 01:14 AM
OK, so I posted this in reloading originally, because I figured a shell is more or less a component, but one of the answers suggested I try the NFA section. So here 'tis. And I am going to add this in one more time, because it bears constant repeating: I am not looking for an operable or replica grenade.

Here goes my original post:

"Does anyone know if there exist a place that sells 40mm grenade casings. Is there any Federal laws prohibiting them?

I am not looking for the grenade, or a grenade launcher. I am not looking for a flare gun or any "You should look into getting this other thing..." I'm just looking for a shell casing, preferably unfired."

Something I'd also like to ask, since I'm posting on the Subject of 40mm grenades: does anyone know how they are primed?

If you enjoyed reading about "40mm Grenade shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MasterSergeantA
March 22, 2013, 02:30 AM
http://islandordnance.com/viewLevelProduct.asp?sessid=2571739&LevelID=40&CatagoryID=16

rcmodel
March 22, 2013, 02:38 AM
..." I'm just looking for a shell casing, preferably unfired."You probably wouldn't want a unfired 40mm grenade shell casing.
Even though you think you do.

The whole 40mm grenade launcher cartridge operates on a high pressure / low pressure firing cycle.

So an unfired case would have a live primer and a powder charge inside the high-pressure chamber.

With nothing in the low pressure chamber where the projectile would normally be seated.

So, even though it is just an empty unfired case?
It is still a primed and charged high-pressure cartridge.
Just one without a projectile.

So, if I wanted a 40mm Thump-Gun case to play with?
I'd want a fired one.

I have a couple in the basement I use for ash treys.
But you can't have them!

rc

MenaceMan47
April 27, 2013, 12:37 AM
www.brassmanbrass.com

It's where I get my 37mm casings. I have a DD pending with ATF, paperwork should be done in June last time I talked to them.

If you enjoyed reading about "40mm Grenade shells" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!