Wanting a new 357 Mag DA

PDA

osteodoc08
March 22, 2013, 02:01 AM
Looking at either smith 27, 66, 686 or Ruger GP 100. Must be 4" and either blue or SS. What are the merits of each? Use will be range and field usage. I hand load so cylinder length is important for the heavier cast boolits. What say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting a new 357 Mag DA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TreeDoc
March 22, 2013, 03:01 AM
Have had both. I like the trigger on the Smith. For sheer durability, I think both would serve you well, but you mentioned hand loading and for that the GP is stronger. The GP has a stronger crane locking and is beefier overall. The Smith that I had experienced flame cutting into the top strap. While I never shot the gun enough for it to become a serious issue, the GP never had such problems
One other thing I really like about the GP, is its ease of take down. It is simple and straight foward. Just thought of another thing I like, front sight replacement is easy to do. I think a 4" Stainless GP is hard to beat.

2zulu1
March 22, 2013, 03:41 AM
I have a 686P/6" and 4", haven't come across a Ruger that can match their triggers. I also handload and neither will shoot loose during my lifetime, flame cutting is not an issue on any of my 357mag/44 mags - Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, S&W.

N-frames are top notch. Of the 200 participants in the International Revolver Championship, 199 shot Smiths and one shot a Ruger.

ArchAngelCD
March 22, 2013, 03:44 AM
For carry I would buy the M66. For everything else I would probably buy the M627 Pro. IMO there is nothing better than 8 rounds of .357 Magnum goodness on tap. It's a nice heavy revolver that can shoot any round you can buy or load, even the heavy hunting 180gr loads.

bannockburn
March 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
My pick of the models listed would be the same as the own I now own-a Model 686. The L frame is sort of like the Goldilocks choice; the frame size is just right for the .357 Mag. Not too light (Model 66), and not too heavy (Model 27).

At one time I had both; a Model 686 and a GP100. I had to sell one for financial reasons. While the GP100 was also well built and utilized a very modular design (easy to take apart and work on), the Model 686 had the smoothest, cleanest, and lightest trigger I have ever encountered on any revolver right out of the box. That made the difference and I have been a satisfied Model 686 owner ever since.

roaddog28
March 22, 2013, 05:09 PM
Most people forget about the most underrated 357 magnum ever built. Its the Ruger Security Six series of revolvers. Stronger than a S&W K frame, lighter than the bulkey S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Plenty strong enough to shoot factory 357 magnums and most reloads if a person does not go crazy.

I would vote for the Ruger Security Six anytime;)
Regards,
Howard

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting a new 357 Mag DA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!