Proud Boer defense story NAA Mini explosion theory...

PDA

McNugget
March 22, 2013, 02:48 AM
High guys, long time forum ghost, first time participant.

What drew me in was the Proud Boer/SA defense story. I was intrigued as I recently bought (and have been carrying) the NAA Black widow in my jacket breast pocket, loaded with Hornady CDHP's. I had some thoughts on why the NAA mini revolver may have blown up. I read the original post, found here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=433867

then began to skim, so I'm not 100% that someone didn't already ask this Q, but as the original thread is closed, I thought maybe this would jog someone's memory.

When I read about the gun blowing up as he fired, two thoughts occurred to me... either the the round under the hammer was out of battery, which I doubt, OR another round in another cylinder was set off, which if it were either of the two lower cylinders when the wheel locks up, it could cause the explosion damage.

I suggest this as my recently purchased mini included a cautionary card stating that the manufacturer does not reccomend using PMC brand specifically, as it has been determined to occasionally ignite out of battery as a result of the recoil of another round going off.

The reason I don't think it was something like the 'chambered' round being out of battery is that the firing 'pin' only has 1/8" or so margin of error before it's not hitting the round and is instead slamming into the rear of the cylinder... meaning, the gun wouldn't be able to fire if it were so far out of battery (more than 1/16" off center) as a result of the hammer crimping the case rim.

Did anyone ever find out what kind of ammo Proud Boer was using? Was it PMC?

Thanks for reading everyone, nice forum, and I've learned so much here already. You guys have been my go-to source for firearms related opinions and experiences.

=> McNugget

If you enjoyed reading about "Proud Boer defense story NAA Mini explosion theory..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 10:43 AM
You could try PM'ing that individual and or don't use PMC ammo.. I didn't read that thread.
Oh, and welcome to the site.

McNugget
March 22, 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the tip... though I am sort of new to web forums too, at least, it's been a while.

I wasn't really looking for advice on ammo, I have selected many brands that suit my purposes, and the only time I'd even buy PMC is if there were nothing else... and probably never in a rimfire. Truthfully I was attempting to begin a new conversation, as I love my mini, but any report of any likeness of my choice of carry pistol 'exploding' is a big deal to consider.

I'll see if the OP of the article is still active... and if you haven't read it, it's a decent testament to the right to bear arms... even if it applies to South Africa.

MikeJackmin
March 22, 2013, 01:14 PM
If it helps, I can say this is the first time I've ever heard of one of these revolvers failing like this. They have a good reputation for safety and reliability.

Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
Upon glancing at that thread, he sounds like a very lucky and unlucky fellow.

Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
Things fail. I didn't gather if or not he was using proscribed ammo. Also, since he got hit twice, perhaps the gun got nicked/damaged.. I don't know.

VA27
March 23, 2013, 01:17 AM
I had the barrel blow off my Black Widow...as in, I never did find all the pieces. I had the 22LR cylinder in and was shooting Remington Yellow Jacket. I sent the pieces back to NAA and they fixed it up like new for no charge.

I think I had a squib and stuck one in the barrel and the next one did the job. I was wearing muffs and had my hearing aids turned off, so all I felt was a 'click' and thought it was a dud. My fault for not making sure. I told all that to NAA and they said, ''Send it in."

Top notch service from NAA. I have two of their guns and won't hesitate to buy another. The company is a class act in my book.

Havok7416
March 23, 2013, 06:36 AM
He was using CCI ammo. The only indicator as to why the gun exploded is buried within the linked thread. Something about a pin or something with those guns coming loose causing alignment issues. That or damage to the gun from the gunfight.

Rom828
March 24, 2013, 12:03 AM
I have a mini, the earl, that I have put hundreds of rounds through and still feels like it's built like a swiss watch. It fits perfectly in a Buck knife pouch and I open carry it where anything else would attract negative attention from the public at large. I can't imagine one coming apart.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proud Boer defense story NAA Mini explosion theory..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!