Why not a The High Road Chat Room?

PDA

orangeninja
March 14, 2004, 01:19 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to have a real time chat room? Would that be expensive to host? I think it would be awsome.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why not a The High Road Chat Room?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stv
March 14, 2004, 01:26 AM
An IRC channel on an existing server would be cheap. The hard part is educating everyone about it, and having all those interested download the appropriate client (mirc).

A java chat based on the server would be more accessible, but use more bandwidth, and they usually don't provide for moderators.

I operate a car chat on an IRC server that could probably handle it, if we end up deciding on IRC.

Highland Ranger
March 14, 2004, 08:25 AM
Forum or bulletin board can be moderated. Real time chat cannot be which can lead to problems.

P95Carry
March 14, 2004, 08:45 AM
I have been led to believe that IRC is very ''vulnerable'' ... leaves all sorts of ''open doors''. But then anyways .. there is the time factor ... not having enough spare for chat and usual board visits.:)

tyme
March 14, 2004, 03:15 PM
If you want a THR chat room, get on irc and start one. No THR staff action is required.

stv
March 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
I've set up an IRC channel on lazynet. #thehighroad on irc.lazynet.org, port 6667. :)

Come on in!

edit: Oh yeah, be prepared to lurk, as it's nearly totally dead. :)

scromp
March 15, 2004, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, be prepared to lurk, as it's nearly totally dead.

Lurking, aye.

stv
April 29, 2004, 03:27 PM
bump, this might come in handy to give us all our gun fix during the downtime this weekend.

TheBluesMan
April 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
stv - It may be helpful to those of us who are ignorant of such things as IRC and chat rooms to give a short tutorial on how to hook up and participate.

stv
April 29, 2004, 05:19 PM
I thought of that, and was actually typing one up. Should be up shortly. :)

stv
April 29, 2004, 06:08 PM
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is perhaps the most popular chat protocol in use on the Internet today. IRC, like http, enables any user on nearly any platform to access the same chat rooms without needing to pay a service provider such as AOL or MSN. In addition, IRC is in use by millions of people around the globe, which allows users to find chat rooms (called 'channels' in IRC lingo) on nearly any subject under the sun.

To get started using IRC, you must first find a program (or 'client' as they are sometimes called) that suits your purposes. For Windows based machines, mIRC is one of the best. mIRC is shareware, which means that you are encouraged to support the programmer by paying for the privilege of using his fine software, but it is not required. You can find mIRC at mirc.com (http://www.mirc.com). Linux users can use BX (http://www.bitchx.com), which is my favorite Linux client, and Mac users may wish to use Ircle (http://www.ircle.com), though I am unfamiliar with it. For the purposes of this FAQ, I will explain the installation and setup on Windows machines using mIRC 6.14.

First, you must download the software and install it. Go to www.mirc.com and click the Download button on the left, and choose a geographic location that is closest to you. The download should start automatically. I recommend saving the file to the desktop so you can find it easily.

When the download is complete, run the installation program by double-clicking the icon in the location you saved it. An installation wizard will pop up asking some questions and confirming file locations - in most instances, the default setting will suffice. When the installation is complete, double click on the mIRC icon to run the program. Typically, mIRC installs an icon on the Windows desktop for easy access. Also, you will notice help files in the program group that mIRC created called 'irc intro' and 'mirc help' - do not hesitate to consult these well-written help files as they are an invaluable source of information.

Once you've double-clicked the mIRC icon to run the program, a registration box will appear reminding you of the 30-day trial period. Click 'continue' to continue using the program. mIRC is 'shareware', so you are strongly urged to support the author - however, it is not absolutely necessary. Once that screen disappears, a box will popup labeled 'mIRC Options'. This is where you put in your personal information. note that I do not recommend using your full name - your first name will suffice. Also, you don't have to use your full email address if you don't want to.

This is where you choose your nickname, or nick, which is similar to the usernames here on THR. For clarity, I recommend you use your THR username as your IRC nick. You will also want to choose an alternate nick that is slightly different in case the first is taken - my nick on IRC is 'stv', while my alternate is 'steev'.

Once you've filled out your nick information, click the options tree in the left hand side of the 'mIRC options' dialog box. Click the plus to expand the branch labeled 'Connect' and click the Servers box. This is where you decide which computer to connect to - in this case, we're going to use the Lazynet irc server, which isn't listed, so click the 'Add' button. Under 'Description', type whatever you feel will help you find it in the server list. I used 'THR IRC'. Under 'IRC Server', type irc.lazynet.org. You don't need to fill in or change Port, Group, or Password in any way - Port should be 6667, and Group and Password should be left blank. Click the Add button.

Click the 'Options' branch and select the Perform button. This will make mIRC automatically join the chat room for The High Road. Check the box that says 'Enable Perform on Connect' and then type /join #thehighroad in the text box. Click OK.

That's all the configuration that's required, so click the OK button to close the mIRC Options window. In the top left of the mIRC toolbar, there is a small icon that looks like a lightning bolt - that's the connect/disconnect button. Click it once to connect to the server, and when it connects, you'll be in the High Road chat room!

To say something, just type it into the text box at the bottom of the mIRC window, and press enter. It's very straightforward once you get the hang of it - the hard part is done.

It's very quiet right now, but this weekend when the forum is down for maintenance, it may get to be rather full. I hope so, at least. :)

WonderNine
April 30, 2004, 04:23 PM
Trying to decide if I should download it. Is there anybody there now? :D

stv
May 1, 2004, 02:14 AM
Actually no, it's just me again, hehe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why not a The High Road Chat Room?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!