Colt could leave Connecticut

PDA

H.m.B
March 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
The story of Magpul threatening to leave Colorado has made the rounds, but I have only recently seen where Colt is also considering leaving Connecticut due to proposed laws being debated by the Legislature and pushed by Gov. Dannel Malloy include a new gun offender registry, an expanded assault weapons ban, ammunition restrictions and a ban on bulk purchases of handguns. These measures have put Colt and its nearly 700 employees in the crosshairs.

Mods: If this is a dupe and has been posted earlier, then feel free to delete.

Link to story here: Colt to bolt? Gun maker's boss says company feels unwelcome in Connecticut ( http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/9AhsJY9FjfU/)

I could see firearms manufacturers located in states hostile to their industry relocating to more favorable locations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt could leave Connecticut" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Havok7416
March 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
Interesting, although he is quoted as saying there are no "definite plans" as of yet. The $1.7 billion per year potential loss to Connecticut is certainly something to sit up and take notice of. Let's see where this leads...

GlowinPontiac
March 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
Not a bulk purchase ban on just handguns.....a flat out one gun a month law. And total elimination of private sales.

CT is going to have at minimum 180,000 new convicted felons as of Oct 1st if Gov. Malloy has his way.

Ryanxia
March 22, 2013, 09:33 PM
Not a bulk purchase ban on just handguns.....a flat out one gun a month law. And total elimination of private sales.

CT is going to have at minimum 180,000 new convicted felons as of Oct 1st if Gov. Malloy has his way.
That right there's the thing isn't it? If so many laws are made that Americans exercising our Second Amendment Rights become criminals, isn't it time to stand up and do something about this tyranny?

Ignition Override
March 23, 2013, 12:13 AM
According to Lou Dobbs' figures tonight on Fox Bus. Channel, New York state could lose $ 2 billion if major gun companies decide to move away.

YANKEE2500
March 23, 2013, 01:15 AM
Saw this a couple days ago.

Colt Temporarily Closes Down Factory to Protest Gun Control Laws at Connecticut Capitol

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/colt-closes-down-factory-to-protest-gun-control-laws-at-connecticut-capitol/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=March%2019%202013%20Daily%20Newswire%20(1)&utm_content=

breakingcontact
March 23, 2013, 01:21 AM
Come on down!

Twiki357
March 23, 2013, 02:55 AM
Colt is welcome to come to Arizona.

kyhunter
March 23, 2013, 03:22 AM
Always welcome in Kentucky. Come join Remington ;)

theriflespeaks1863
March 23, 2013, 03:40 AM
It would be nice to have a Colt plant in WI- we'd welcome you with open arms, and it would be a nice boost to the economy!

Pretty please, Colt, pretty please with a .223 cherry on top? :D

okiewita40
March 23, 2013, 03:56 AM
Oklahoma will welcome them with open arms. The same goes for magpul and any other Manufacturer.

JLe˛dhas
March 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
Colt is more than welcome in Alabama.

Pilot
March 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
If Colt does relocate it will be to a Right to Work state in the south. I would think FL as they already have operations there, but who knows.

GlowinPontiac
March 23, 2013, 11:55 AM
That right there's the thing isn't it? If so many laws are made that Americans exercising our Second Amendment Rights become criminals, isn't it time to stand up and do something about this tyranny?

We are fighting like hell here in CT but its extremely difficult when you have a governor and some legislators that say that they don't care what the public thinks and that they are going to make whatever laws they want.

Our governor does not care about lost jobs. Met Life is moving 600+ jobs out of CT and the Governor has given a NY insurance company millions in grant money to bring in 100 jobs.

He knows he stands zero chance of reelection so he is just doing whatever he wants to make himself look good to the democratic party so that he can move on to a position in DC.

Jobs pour out of CT while taxes soar and Gov. Malloy just stands up and smiles saying that he created economic growth because an insurance company is being paid by the state to move into the town he is formerly the mayor of!

MagnunJoe
March 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
They should leave. And Beretta should leave Maryland.

Strange Bob
March 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
All firearms/firearm accessory manufacturing should move to "friendly" states. This would make a statement. Seems this sentiment is alive in some of these companies.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
Colt has shown an interest in moving with the law changes. They have a small facility in FL, but if they move there entirely, they'll have to substantially increase their building size. Time will tell. It's a business decision, costs a lot of money to move, and disrupts their work force as traditionally only management and key personnel are offered a job at the new facility unless emplyees relocate themselves.

rgwalt
March 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
They should leave. And Beretta should leave Maryland.
Both are welcome in TX, along with Magpul and any other manufacturer.

chrisTx
March 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
Why do democrats always say "common sense gun laws"? Isn't that sort of an oxymoron? Democrats lack common sense.

zorro45
March 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Colt make a corporate decision quite a few years ago to basically write off the civilian market and to focus almost exclusively on high end police and military sales?

X-Rap
March 23, 2013, 01:32 PM
Two things will happen to these companies that are voicing discomfort with changes in leglislation. They will either move to safe states that can draw them or the state and fed gov will cause them to stay by offering contracts and guarantees exceeding what they might make by moving.
Some will sell out some may never get the offer but no matter what, gun, ammo, accessory companies are fighting for their lives. MagPul is all in and at the front of this fight. Their main market is the private sector and if there becomes a mag ban or gun ban it puts a real hurt on them. I applaud them and any others that fight till the last in this fight and especially those that are in the lead.

Pilot
March 23, 2013, 01:39 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Colt make a corporate decision quite a few years ago to basically write off the civilian market and to focus almost exclusively on high end police and military sales?

I don't think that is correct. I see a lot of civilian Colt AR-15's being sold, as well as 1911's. In addition, the quality of the guns made for the commercial market seemed to have increased in recent years, as has their customer service.

2zulu1
March 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
Not without precedence, Olin leaving Illinois to a new $100 million facility in Mississippi.

Prescott, Arizona has one of the best climates in the US and home to some large firearms distributors. Ruger also has a facility there.

MetLife and other companies leaving CT should open the eyes of its citizens, but apparently not.

Isn't CT known as the Constitution state? Another oxymoron, but then again, I'm told that I lack common sense. :)

breakingcontact
March 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
Why do democrats always say "common sense gun laws"? Isn't that sort of an oxymoron? Democrats lack common sense.

Why? Because they aren't stupid. They are con men that know how to sell an idea. Look at how they name bills too. You're not against the "fluffy bunny protection act" are you? Think of them as used car salesmen. Except at least with a used car you actually have something of value.

X-JaVeN-X
March 23, 2013, 02:26 PM
Man, I love this idea....if more of the major players would do this...I think a lot of this BS would cease immediately. What would be awesome is if they would refuse to sell to their state law enforcement until the nonsense is dropped. Use the same tactic on a federal level if needed. With that said, I don't see it happening as they are businesses and businesses can't operate without revenue and I'd imagine some of these larger contracts could seriously hurt business. It's like putting yourself in a boycott...

I will admire and support (with my money) any company that does decide to throw caution to the wind and make these stands. I don't even own an AR-15 atm, and really had to plans to purchase one...I think one will be going on my list, just to have an excuse to buy some magpul products lol.

X-Rap
March 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
Not selling to states will work for some, Barret for example, but what will they do if the fed gov would decide to ban the 50 like CA has?
MagPul is in a stickier situation in that last I heard their mags were not to be allowed in service with our military. That I believe is widely ignored and may no longer be in effect but without substantial contracts we citizens are their largest customer.

TanklessPro
March 23, 2013, 02:39 PM
Colt is more than welcome in Alabama.
+1 for BAMA
While other states are moving towards gun-bans, HB 268 was on tap to hit the Alabama Senate last week that will move us towards an even more gun friendly state. Included in the bill was that employer can not stop a worker from having a firearm in their car while at work, change from a may issue to a shall issue, expand CCP to up to five years, not require a CCP for your vehicle, and put in wording that states that the federal gov does not have authority over Alabama.
We are moving even more in the right direction.

19-3Ben
March 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
Why? Because they aren't stupid. They are con men that know how to sell an idea. Look at how they name bills too. You're not against the "fluffy bunny protection act" are you? Think of them as used car salesmen. Except at least with a used car you actually have something of value

Yup. It's why they couch the argument as "anti-gun violence," when they obviously mean "anti gun ownership." BUt if they call it anti-violence, then by default the other side is pro-violence. I hate to say it, but abortion is the same thing. Antis call it "pro-life," so that the other side, by default, must be "pro-death."

It's all politicking and has little to do with the root of the issues.

As a CT resident, and one who lives about 3 miles from the Colt factory in West Hartford, I'd be sorry to see them go, but applaud them for using their weight in this fight! I really hope it doesn't come to it, but if we do lose this battle, I hope that Colt, Mossberg, Charter Arms, CVA, Stag, Ruger, and all of the CT based manufacturers... all move all of their production and offices out of here.
I used to mourn the loss of Winchester's plant in New Haven, but perhaps they were just ahead of the curve!

David E
March 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
Not selling to states will work for some, Barret for example, but what will they do if the fed gov would decide to ban the 50 like CA has?

Theyve already done it: create a new cartridge by necking down the .50 BMG to .416 caliber.

Better range, accuracy and long range power.

X-Rap
March 23, 2013, 02:56 PM
My point is that they are very reliant on their federal/military contracts and it would be pretty tough for them to refuse sale to Uncle Sam.

Dr.Rob
March 23, 2013, 03:30 PM
Colt talked of moving to Florida before all of this if I recall.

Havok7416
March 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
That was only supposed to be a 16,000 square foot facility though.

mister_murphy
March 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
Colt talked of moving to Florida before all of this if I recall.

About 15 months later, however, the Kissimmee facility that Colt was to use as a regional headquarters and manufacturing center sits empty, and no jobs have been created. The county has decided to begin exploring "Plan B" options in case the Connecticut company never comes to town.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-03-12/news/os-jobs-colt-gun-plant-osceola-20130311_1_colt-officials-samuel-colt-jobs-impact

With the florida county considering "Plan B" as mentioned in the article, I am curious to know if Colt will ever move anything to florida.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt could leave Connecticut" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!