20 Ga slug question

PDA

blarby
March 22, 2013, 09:39 PM
Ok, this one is a quickie, but I can't find the answer for the life of me, so here goes.

20 ga slugs- I have the option of picking up the lyman sabot style slug mould on the cheap.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut, I don't have a rifled bbl to use 'em in.

I've heard and read that its possible to use these in a smoothbore, without the drama that comes with using a factory sabot in a smoothbore.

Do these lyman sabot slugs still have the weight forward, like a shuttlecock- so they'd work like a foster slug, or ???????

If you enjoyed reading about "20 Ga slug question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 09:54 PM
That is a shuttlecock style and should fly true out of a smoothbore.

kyhunter
March 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
does the slug mold leave a hollow base? if so the weight would be forward. If it just casts a solid round nose or hollow point flat base then no. Ive never seen the mold so i dont know. You can shoot standard not foster slugs in a smoothore but itll "pattern" quite badly out very far.

Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
I really should have said what model is it yada. If it's a sabot, it may well not be a shuttlecock style. sorry

blarby
March 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
The lyman slug basically looks like a humongous airgun pellet.

http://www.texasgunworks.com/Lyman-Mould-for-20-Gauge-Hollow-Base-Sabot-Slug-2654120.htm

Certaindeaf
March 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
Then you're good.. no rifling required.

rcmodel
March 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
The round nose Lyman slugs are full bore diameter and do not require a rifled barrel.

The wasp-waste sabot slug is under bore diameter to be used inside a plastic shot cup.
And do not requre a rifled barrel either.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/select-mould-shotgun.php

rc

blarby
March 23, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you everyone !

RC always has the links !

Walkies- we'll call this one "asked and answered"

Walkalong
March 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
Can do.

If you enjoyed reading about "20 Ga slug question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!