Dies for 7 X 57 and 7 X 57R

PDA

jgh4445
March 23, 2013, 10:13 PM
Can the 7 X 57 Mauser dies be used for the 7 X 57R cartridge? I am mainly wondering if NECK SIZING only, and you have the correct shell holder, if it would work. Guess I'm really asking if the rimmed case will fit up in the standard die huh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dies for 7 X 57 and 7 X 57R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 24, 2013, 02:41 AM
Yes.

There should be no difference except for shell holder size.

The 7x57R Mauser was made to provide an extraction method in double rifles, drilling's, and single-shots that presented an extractor challenge for rimless cartridges.

The case itself is basically the same.

rc

jgh4445
March 24, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks RC...kinda what I was thinking.

fguffey
March 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
Today 09:31 AM
jgh4445 Thanks RC...kinda what I was thinking.
Today 12:41 AM
rcmodel Yes.

There should be no difference except for shell holder size.

The 7x57R Mauser was made to provide an extraction method in double rifles, drilling's, and single-shots that presented an extractor challenge for rimless cartridges.

The case itself is basically the same.

rc
Yesterday 08:13 PM
jgh4445 Can the 7 X 57 Mauser dies be used for the 7 X 57R cartridge? I am mainly wondering if NECK SIZING only, and you have the correct shell holder, if it would work. Guess I'm really asking if the rimmed case will fit up in the standard die huh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7mm57 and 7mm Mauser Rimmed: same? No, If the 7mm57 Mauser die is used to size the rimmed version there is a big chance the case will not chamber. There is .006 difference in length from the head of the case to the shoulder juncture between the two cases/chambers. The 7mm Mauser rimmed full length sizer die could work to size the 7mm57 case if the reloader understood the methods and or technique of adjusting the die off the shell holder with feeler gage, or if they were real accomplished at making guesses at degrees converted to thousandth or if they could make fractional turns of the die converted to thousandths.

The biggest conflict is between the shoulder/neck juncture, there is .030 difference, meaning if the 7mm57 die is used to size the rimmed version the neck will be sized when chambered, something like an Ackley design when forming Ackley cases from parent cases.

F. Guffey

Hummer70
March 27, 2013, 03:25 AM
If you want to make sure you only size the necks you can run cases into a 7/08 die backed way off and just size necks only.

fguffey
March 27, 2013, 01:24 PM
Today, 02:25 AM #5
Hummer70

Posts: 90 If you want to make sure you only size the necks you can run cases into a 7/08 die backed way off and just size necks only.
Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground,AC4HT, Firefighter 1, 32

The die would require a gap of .167 between the shell holder and bottom of the die, then there is the difference in case neck length, the 7mm08 case neck length is .274 the neck length of the 7mm rimmed case is .379, to avoid hitting the shoulder of the 7mm Rimmed case the gap would have to be .164 plus.

I have a universal 7mm seating die, there is no such thing as a case that is too short and or too long when it comes to seating 7mm bullets, it has the sliding/gliding self aligning bushing with the window for dropping bullets in from the top of the guide.

F. Guffey

Clark
March 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
6 months ago I built a 257 Roberts Ackley Imrpoved rimmed rifle.
I used 7x57 Rimmed Norma brass, necked down and neck turned.
The case heads were soft, and could not even support as much pressure as average 7x57mm rimless brass, before the primer pockets got loose.
I got deer, even though the loads were 300 fps less than I expected for the project.
I have a couple brands of 7x57 Rimmed ammo that I plan to pull down and see if the case heads are strong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dies for 7 X 57 and 7 X 57R" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!