Do the make scope rings bigger than 1 inch?

PDA

FireInCairo
March 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
It seems 1 inch is the standard, but I would like to mount a flashlight that is a bit bigger than 1 inch, and can't find and scope mounting rings 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Any help (links to where you know they can be found for sale) would be appreciated.
thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Do the make scope rings bigger than 1 inch?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Reloadron
March 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
Common rings are 1" or 30mm (1.1811").

When you start getting into 1.250" to 1.500" you are getting into 31.75mm to 38.10mm rings. Not very common.

Scope tube diameters include: 1" (25.4mm), 30mm, 34mm (Schmidt & Bender), 35mm (US Optics), and 40mm. The advantages of the larger tube diameters are more elevation travel available and a stronger scope. The disadvantage of larger tube diameters is that the selection of scope rings is few, however, there are several high-quality ring sets available for 34 and 35mm tubes.

You can look to names like Schmidt & Bender or think about finding a flashlight with a smaller tube diameter. There is also the option of having a set custom made but don't expect inexpensive.

Ron

Jim Watson
March 24, 2013, 12:51 PM
Lacking anything better to do on a rainy Sunday, I looked at a couple of dozen searchlight mounts. None were available larger than an inch.
Maybe you should be shopping for a standard diameter light.

CLP
March 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a situation made just for Duct tape. Yes, I'm from Alabama.

JRH6856
March 24, 2013, 11:09 PM
Sounds like a situation made just for Duct tape. Yes, I'm from Alabama.

Or nylon wire ties or hose clamps. (I'm from Texas ;) )

MrCleanOK
March 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
FireInCairo, what kind of weapon are you trying to attach a light to? And what kind of light are you using?

CLP
March 25, 2013, 09:43 AM
Big 'ol 4 D-cell Mag Lite on a tacticool 10/22 be my guess....

JRH6856
March 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Big 'ol 4 D-cell Mag Lite on a tacticool 10/22 be my guess....

I once used hose clamps to mount a 6 C-Cell Mag Lite on the metal hand guard of an M1-Carbine. When properly shimmed, it projected the shadow of the front sight on the target. Great for close range work. I used it for building searches when answering alarm calls. (This was 30 years ago, before tacticool was cool.)

FireInCairo
March 26, 2013, 05:35 PM
I found a great deal locally on a bright flashlight, but it's a bit bigger than an inch around. The light also has a strobe setting, which I like.

MrCleanOK
March 27, 2013, 03:53 AM
Nobody is going to be able to give you a meaningful recommendation unless you can provide the body diameter of your light, and what kind of weapon you're trying to put it on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do the make scope rings bigger than 1 inch?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!