44, 38/9mm cast bullets. What would you pay?

PDA

BBQJOE
March 24, 2013, 01:20 PM
I'm going to take some time off this summer. I have access to a fair amount of bullet lead, and will be spending more time on my latest hobby, bullet casting.
I'm currently set up for .44 (429) 240gr SWC tumble lube, and 38/9mm (357) 124gr TC also tumble lubed.

I haven't paid for bullets in years, and I guess that's rather irrelevant right now given the times.

Anyways, since I'm not in the need and searching, what's the most you would be willing to pay for either of these calibers, especially without the 5+ weeks lead time for most orders these days?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "44, 38/9mm cast bullets. What would you pay?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeadFlies
March 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
I pay $33/500 for 115 grain LRN from the local reloading shop. MBC is about the same when you factor in shipping.

KansasSasquatch
March 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
For good cast boolits, about as good as MBC's quality, I'd pay about what MBC charges. Some people will pay a little more to have them NOW, but if I know I can have them in 5-6 weeks I can afford to wait if they cost more than ordering directly from MBC. Saving money on shooting is one of the main reasons I started reloading, someday I start casting too.

Reefinmike
March 24, 2013, 04:10 PM
last I paid for 200gr 45's was about $38 if i remember correctly. 158gr lswc was $34

Now, dont take this personally, but I wouldnt ever buy cast boolits from another "hobby caster" you wont know what alloy they used, what lube, how they are sized(by the way a 124gr tc aint the best for 38spl. first off, different bullet profile, may be too long to properly fit in they cylinder, no crimp grove and the bullet diameter should be .358-.359")

with the prices of cast bullets, I honestly dont think its worth selling them on a small scale. for me, each month I get my take of lead from the tire shop down the road(15 minutes) then I sort out all the lead weights from the zinc and steel weights(75 minutes) melting down the weights and pouring them into beercan ingots(30 minutes) casting(~120 minutes from start to finish for 500 38's and 500 45's) then qc check of all bullets(30 minutes) size the 38's (30 minutes) and tumble lube them all up(10 minutes)

So, thats about a 5 hour ordeal each month for about $75 worth of "free" bullets. So im "making" $15 an hour. If I didnt have so much free time, id just buy the bullets. A buddy of mine asked me to sell him bullets. I told him NO, my lead and time are more valuable than making $10 and told him to come back with any lead he could find and id give him 1/3 back in bullet form

And you mention "bullet lead" do you mean range lead from out of the berm? if so, it is too soft and you will need to add some tin to the mix to harden it up. tin isnt cheap either.

BBQJOE
March 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
Reefinmike, I know exactly what you're saying.

But now if someone wanted to give me .45 cents a bullet...:D

bds
March 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
BBQJOE, since you are in Arizona, you should be familiar with ZCast - http://zcastbulletz.com/order.html

I order my bullets before I run out of them so several weeks of wait time is OK with me (my par level now is around 10,000 - 15,000 bullets).

BBQJOE
March 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
I bet the post office hates those guys.

I'll probably be best off finding some noobs who don't know anything.:evil:

bds
March 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
There are many people who must have what they want "right now" regardless of the price ... they are your target group. :D

I'll probably be best off finding some noobs who don't know anything.
This is why gun forums like THR exist, to educate the next generation of safe and "informed" reloaders.

My reloading mentor not only showed me the ropes to reloading but also provided a list of all his component suppliers (local and nationwide).

I guess we are all "online" mentors in a sense. :D

zxcvbob
March 24, 2013, 05:57 PM
It sounds like a great way to suck all the joy out of a good hobby.

BBQJOE
March 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
It sounds like a great way to suck all the joy out of a good hobby.
It does, doesn't it.

I'll just make 'em for me then, and never run out.

bds
March 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
Or you can do what many casters do and "share/trade/barter" with other reloaders in line with the "High Road" way.

I am sure you can work out the details you can both be happy with. ;)

ljnowell
March 24, 2013, 08:52 PM
It does, doesn't it.

I'll just make 'em for me then, and never run out.

Just know that if you make them to sell, you dont want to get caught doing it. Casting bullets for sale involves having an FFL. Its illegal to do so otherwise.

zxcvbob
March 24, 2013, 09:15 PM
Just know that if you make them to sell, you dont want to get caught doing it. Casting bullets for sale involves having an FFL. Its illegal to do so otherwise.

I don't think you do need a FFL; but it does require a ITAR payment of about $2250 per year to the State Dept, unless you opt-out (and I'm sure they don't make it easy to opt out)

ljnowell
March 24, 2013, 09:55 PM
I don't think you do need a FFL; but it does require a ITAR payment of about $2250 per year to the State Dept, unless you opt-out (and I'm sure they don't make it easy to opt out)

It does require a manufacturers FFL to make bullets and sell them. If you resell bullets made by someone else, no. But if you are making your own, yes.

zxcvbob
March 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
It does require a manufacturers FFL to make bullets and sell them. If you resell bullets made by someone else, no. But if you are making your own, yes.

I didn't think you needed that for bullets, just loaded ammo -- but if you do a class 6 FFL is pretty cheap.

ljnowell
March 24, 2013, 10:50 PM
I didn't think you needed that for bullets, just loaded ammo -- but if you do a class 6 FFL is pretty cheap.

If it were me I would be carrying insurance too. Too much headache for the money mand by manual casting.

If you enjoyed reading about "44, 38/9mm cast bullets. What would you pay?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!