Question on Cold Steel TI Lite

PDA

jj1962hemi
March 24, 2013, 07:56 PM
Hey Gang,

I just picked up my third Cold Steel product, although it's the 1st folder. I have a Pendleton Lite Hunter and the Finn Bear, both have great blades. The TI Lite is difficult to open. Additionally, if I try to only use my thumb, I end up close to scraping myself on the very base of the razor sharp blade.

If I loosen the allen screw that the blade pivots on, am I going to break some sort of seal and create issues later? I love the knife, but it takes two tries right now to get it open.

Thanks for your help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Cold Steel TI Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glistam
March 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
You can but it only has an effect up to a certain point. You can loosen it with a T10 Torx and it will make the blade easier to open if you make it "not tight" but after a point the resistance the detent mechanism (tiny ball-bearing thing that fits into a small hole near the pivot) provides the same level of resistance even if you make it fairly loose. Lubricants like TriFlo and repeated usage also help.

jj1962hemi
March 24, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks Glistam! I may try the lubricant first.

Sharpdogs
March 26, 2013, 01:04 PM
A lot of the CS folders need a break in period. I just got a new counter point I and it is a little stiff. I had the same issue with my large voyager. It smoothed out after opening and closing a few hundred times. Both knives are built like tanks.

jj1962hemi
March 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
Tank-like construction is what I was hoping for. Thanks for the encouragement Sharpdogs!

CA Raider
March 29, 2013, 12:07 PM
"Both knives are built like tanks. "

very true of CS products in general.
also true - that their actions tend to be stiff out of the factory and will loosen up with time.

CA R

PLYSWKNVS
April 3, 2013, 09:24 PM
It's my experience that the Ti Lite should be opened by means of the pocket catch (like an Emerson wave). It (the guard on the bolster) catches on the pocket as you draw it and opens like an auto! Try it.

jj1962hemi
May 7, 2013, 02:19 PM
The "pocket catch" you describe is really something! One has to practice the proper hold (not a typical one for me), but after that it really opens quickly! Thanks for the great idea!

CA Raider
May 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
cold steel blades that be a little stiff in the action when you first get them. usually some lubricant and "working of the blade by opening and closing a lot" fixes the problem.

good luck,
dT

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Cold Steel TI Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!