cutts compensators with today's ammo

PDA

PlusP
March 24, 2013, 09:37 PM
Can a late 50's 12g with a cutts compensator or a poly choke be shot with today’s ammo with plastic wads ???
Thanks,Randy

If you enjoyed reading about "cutts compensators with today's ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mobuck
March 24, 2013, 09:56 PM
We've shot quite a bit of "modern ammo" through a 20 gauge with a Cutts Comp with no problems.

Old Unc'
March 24, 2013, 11:20 PM
I know the Polychoke can handle the current ammo...

cota
March 25, 2013, 03:57 AM
I would use modern plaswad lead no problem, but i think i would avoid steel shot if i were you, if you insist on using it keep the shot size down to say 3s nothing bigger. :uhoh: Me i would not use steel at all.

Virginian
March 25, 2013, 06:56 AM
I have seen a Cutts blow apart. The guy was shooting handloads with plastic shotcups. I saw a lot of them with plastic hanging out of the sleeve with the old W-W Mark 5 shot collars ears ago. The one that blew, split maybe two or three slots from the muzzle end. I could speculate forever, but I don't really KNOW what caused it. I do know they were designed for the pre-shot collar/cup ammo. A Poly has the slots at the end so it would appear to be lower risk, and I have never heard of the end of one blowing off. I have seen them split a collar.

b.thomas
March 25, 2013, 07:06 AM
About forty years ago I had a Remington 1148 with a cutts on it and my dad, a 1148 with similar Lyman choke system. Both shot thousand of rounds though them and all the ammo used had plastic wads in them(reloads)..............we never had a problem.
I never heard of a problem until recently, so take that for what it worth?:D

Black Knight
March 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
I have a J.C. Higgns model 20 that I bought from my Grandpa in 1977 and it has what I call a modified Cutts Compensator (the expansion chamber was removed). It shoots todays ammo without any problems at all.

MSgtEgress
March 26, 2013, 09:52 AM
I've got a 1955 Model 12 with a cutts and have been using plastic wads for 20+ years with no issues.

If you enjoyed reading about "cutts compensators with today's ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!