Powder ID

PDA

HKGuns
March 25, 2013, 07:04 PM
I was just reminded of something I ran into recently that may deserve some "best practice" discussion here.

How does everyone keep track of the powder they have in their powder dispenser? I recently found myself asking, now which powder is that in the hopper? I don't run a ton of powders and I suppose on inspection I could differentiate between the 6 or 7 that I use, however, there has to be a better way?

Perhaps everyone just empties their hopper when done with a loading session?

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steelerdude99
March 25, 2013, 07:07 PM
A common practice is to store powers away from the load bench and have only one powder on the table. That one powder being the one you have in the dispenser.

rfwobbly
March 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
Exactly !

And in addition, empty the hopper at the end of each session back into that powder canister and return the canister to its rightful place.

ObsidianOne
March 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
Exactly !

And in addition, empty the hopper at the end of each session back into that powder canister and return the canister to its rightful place.
I only use one powder at this time, so I don't really have to worry about it just yet, but I hear that using compressed air to get residual powder out of the internals works well too.

tightgroup tiger
March 25, 2013, 07:29 PM
That's the only way to do it.
You win by default.

taraquian
March 25, 2013, 07:44 PM
I do the one powder at a time practice, but I use also small pictures of the canisters and slip them on my measure with a rubber band or just slip it in my autodisk. I use mostly Alliant powders and I cut them out of the last page of thier load data pdf I printed

Walkalong
March 25, 2013, 09:53 PM
Only one powder on the bench at a time. If it is in the hopper, the can for it is on the bench. There are never two cans on the bench.

rcmodel
March 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
Perhaps everyone just empties their hopper when done with a loading session? Yes they do.

If that are doing it right safely.

I use string-tye hang-tags looped around the powder reservoir with the last power & charge my powders measures had run through them too.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/911517/Maco-Tags-5-238-x-475/

No sense setting them again the next time, if I use the same powder & charge again the next time.

rc

Hondo 60
March 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
Yup, only one powder container on the bench, and that's what's in the hopper.

Rodahayes51
March 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
I also write the powder name on green masking tape and place on the dispenser.

Reefinmike
March 25, 2013, 10:34 PM
umm... the powder in the dispenser is the one that I just recently removed the labeled jug from the cabinet, poured powder in the hopper, capped the can and set it on the bench near the press. Im not sure on how much weight powder can gain through humidity, but I dont see it a good practice to just leave powder in the hopper for weeks on end.

Im honestly not sure if powder can gain much weight through humidity, but say your powder increased 5% in weight while it sat in the hopper. Say you had your measure dialed in for 7.0 gr of xxxxx powder. weeks later you are now dumping out 7.35 grains and as a cautious reloader, you will find yourself weighing your first several charges and adjust your measure down to 7.0 gr of "wet" powder which is now a couple tenths of a grain lower than your normal "dry powder" charge. Get where im going? not that this scenario would be *dangerous*, but your loads will vary from what you are going for.

FROGO207
March 26, 2013, 12:05 AM
One propellant on the bench at a time. Put it back when done, if for nothing else to keep it from etching the plastic hopper parts. Invest in some small sized Post-It pads and put complete load info on a page and stick it to the hopper for a double sure ID. This is my method. Worked well so far for 30+ years.:)

Vin
March 26, 2013, 12:53 AM
I've read several posts on different forums that leaving powder in the hopper is a bad idea because some powders etch the plastic and overtime the etching will discolor the plastic and make it difficult to see your powder levels. Seen it happen to RCBS and Dillian hoppers. Some have said its only with certain powders and others suggested it might only be an issue with certain hoppers.

I have a Lee hopper and use W231. Ive left powder in my hopper for over nine months and haven't seen etching or discoloration yet. So ymmv.

Walkalong
March 26, 2013, 07:44 AM
Leave some high nitro content powder, like Bullseye, in the hopper for nine months and see what happens. In general, it is a good idea to empty the hopper when finished. It's just practice. I have left powder in the hopper over night when in the middle of a big run, but anything else the hopper gets emptied.

cfullgraf
March 26, 2013, 07:57 AM
I will be sounding like a broken record here.

Only the powder in use on the bench, the rest are stored in a cabinet away from the bench.

I empty the hopper returning the powder to its original canister at the end of each session or at the end of the day.

All of my powder measures have micrometer adjusters. I just record the setting. Easy to return to or verify that setting at the next session.

Rcmodel's string tag or a Post-it note is a good idea if one is not using micrometer adjusters.

kerreckt
March 26, 2013, 08:50 AM
I keep a roll of the blue easy peel off tape on my bench and write the name of the powder in the hopper and affix this to the hopper. I never fill the hopper unless I have tape with the correct name attached to the hopper. Most of the time there are at least two hoppers set up and I need to be as fool proof as possible. This works for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!