I,____ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99,

PDA

coolluke01
March 25, 2013, 07:24 PM
I,____ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99, .22LR for more than $1.99 and .223 for more than $7.99.

We are hurting ourselves by panic buying! If we leave ammo on the shelves we can restore some normalcy to the pricing and availability. The ammo will come back. It always does. Go out and have fun and shoot a little bit of what you have. Relax and show some self control.

If you enjoyed reading about "I,____ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bri
March 25, 2013, 07:38 PM
There's no room for rational thought around these parts!

guyfromohio
March 25, 2013, 07:39 PM
Affirmed. I won't do it.

GlowinPontiac
March 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
I wont do it. (because I don't own a 9mm) haha!

Bianchi?
March 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
Too bad I can't find any 9mm, .22LR, or .223...........

barnbwt
March 25, 2013, 07:51 PM
Try "I,______________ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not resell 9mm for more than $11.99, and to deflate the tires of anyone who dares to try"

Now, we're gettin' somewhere.

"I'll stop buying if you do" ...*snicker* :D

TCB

bayesian
March 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
I'll pay 12.99

:-)

Arbo
March 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
I think I can agree to the OP statement, since I don't own anything that shoots 9mm, and if I did, I have loads of brass to load up. I am good for a couple years on 22 (if I ever actually shoot it that is, otherwise it may go past years). And I have accumulated several thousand .223 cases from picking them up off the ground, plus have much more unfired, once that's gone I'll be good just reloading.

.40 and .45 should be about the same as .223 for me. I might well not actually need to buy ammo any more. I hope. ;)

OilyPablo
March 25, 2013, 08:25 PM
I'll pay $15 max for 9mm and $20 max for .45/10mm/and most other calibers.

It used to be $10 for 9mm and $15 for .45 and $20 for all others.

Show had one big ammo guy selling 1000 rnds of 9mm for $989. People were openly mocking the supplier and no one was buying.

browningguy
March 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
I also promise to never buy .223 that costs $7.99, or .22 LR that costs $1.99.

I much prefer Black Hills for my .223, Eley for my various match .22's or CCI Mini Mags for my plinking/hunting .22's.

Honestly I've never understood the desire to shoot the really cheap stuff. I've spent hundreds, and sometimes thousands on a gun, why wouldn't I run reasonably good ammo through it. I think I even spend more on my .223 that I reload since I'm usually loading up SMK's and match grade primers.

Torian
March 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
I only buy in bulk, or never at all, so I can't exactly sign the dotted line on that one.

oneounceload
March 25, 2013, 08:38 PM
So, maybe we should let Obama set the prices............
Why is everyone against free market forces settling this?

Want to stop hoarding? Let's have .22lr selling for $100 per brick and 223 selling for $5/round. That way, only those who REALLY want it will pay that price......
And when everyone has maxxed out their credit cards, supply will catch up to demand

TanklessPro
March 25, 2013, 08:38 PM
I,____ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99, .22LR for more than $1.99 and .223 for more than $7.99.

What is to stop all the un-reasonable people?
I haven't bought 9mm in at least 8 months.

BK
March 25, 2013, 08:41 PM
I remember back when gasoline was $0.77/gallon. When it was nearing $2 several years ago I told one of my friends that if it went over $2.50 that would be my line in the sand and that I would not buy gasoline at those prices. He looked at me like I was an idiot and he was probably right.

bayesian
March 25, 2013, 08:43 PM
OilyPablo wrote:
I'll pay $15 max for 9mm and $20 max for .45/10mm/and most other calibers.

Ok, I'll pay $16!

avalys
March 25, 2013, 09:58 PM
So, how many of you guys want to sell me some of your stash of ammo at the prices quoted?

I promise I will shoot it myself!

Oklacoyotekiller
March 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
Have u been on gunbroker latley? 22lr is already close to $100/ brick.

jfrey
March 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
I just saw a site tonight that had 9mm in stock. American Eagle for $49.99/50 rounds. That is absurd. I can remember back when gasoline was $.25/gal and a can of Copenhagen was $.25/can when I was in college. Maybe I'm older than I think. I can still load 'em for the prices we USED to pay.

OilyPablo
March 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Ok, I'll pay $16!

Be my guest.

Oklacoyotekiller
March 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
Alamo ammo trying to sell 22 lr $350/ brick. Wonder if if theyve sold any?

tomrkba
March 25, 2013, 10:09 PM
I just shoot 22 LR and whatever I can reload. I am saving my lunch money and will buy a large amount of ammo when it becomes available at reasonable prices.

Oklacoyotekiller
March 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
My wife asked tonight why im hoarding ammo. I said im not. Im just collecting. ;)

CJW
March 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
I agree we shouldn't pay stupid prices. That's just common sense. But how are you so sure everything will return to normal? I'm not so sure gas prices, or taxes, or anything else will return to "normal" (i.e. what I used to pay). I think there is a real possibility that ammo shortages and higher prices will be the new normal to some degree.

barnbwt
March 25, 2013, 10:24 PM
17$... no, wait, 18$...23$! 17$ 58$!!!!!:what:

Them auction sitessss... they make a man cray-zeh.....

TCB

Oklacoyotekiller
March 25, 2013, 10:29 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how stupid people get on auction site. Mo rons

mrvco
March 25, 2013, 10:42 PM

We are hurting ourselves by panic buying! If we leave ammo on the shelves we can restore some normalcy to the pricing and availability. The ammo will come back. It always does. Go out and have fun and shoot a little bit of what you have. Relax and show some self control.
I suggest that you share that at the next Ammoholics Anonymous meeting.

GrOuNd_ZeRo
March 25, 2013, 10:44 PM
Sadly enough I bought .22 at absurd prices just because of the low availability and my latest firearm acquisition was chambered in .22LR, I was under the influence of the drug Amien which is known to cause amnesia and impaired thought, ended up paying 75 bucks plus shipping for it, needless to say I'll never visit Gunbroker on that drug again lol.

Today I did buy some minimags at double the price but I was just happy enough to buy some.

But from now on I vow to not pay that much for ammo.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 25, 2013, 10:57 PM
People are paying 60 cents to 80 cents a round for 9mm and to be truthfull if someone offers me $800 for a thousand rounds I'm selling. Won't blink an eye.

Bobson
March 25, 2013, 11:01 PM
This would mean I can never buy ammo again. I've never seen ammo available for those prices anywhere, not a year ago, not six years ago.

Frankly, I haven't bought anything but shotshells in the last four months anyway. Haven't seen anything else that I could use.

ObsidianOne
March 25, 2013, 11:07 PM
This would mean I can never buy ammo again. I've never seen ammo available for those prices anywhere, not a year ago, not six years ago.

Frankly, I haven't bought anything but shotshells in the last four months anyway. Haven't seen anything else that I could use.
Federal is usually $10.99 for 50 rounds of 9mm at my local Wal-Mart.

Arbo
March 25, 2013, 11:28 PM
People are paying 60 cents to 80 cents a round for 9mm and to be truthfull if someone offers me $800 for a thousand rounds I'm selling. Won't blink an eye.
And to think when I sold my kel-tec I sold 700+ rounds of 9mm with it... 180 bucks for the ammo. Less than .25 a round... I think that was 2 or 3 cents a round more than I paid for it...

But I don't care for bending people over. It seems I'm a minority in the 'gun culture'.

JohnsXDM
March 25, 2013, 11:29 PM
I saw today on BulkAmmo.com they have .22LR @ $24.99 per 50 !!!! Thats just nuts!

788Ham
March 25, 2013, 11:44 PM
If I can find any 22's, how many times do I have to flip a coin to decide? If I find any, sorry they'll be gone!

Inebriated
March 25, 2013, 11:47 PM
The only ammo I've bought since Dec. was a box of birdshot from Wally World.

I refuse to take part any the rush.

guyfromohio
March 26, 2013, 06:22 AM
In 2011 and 2012, I would stop at The Fin, Feather, and Fur a couple times per month to pick up a case of $8.99/50 Blazer Aluminum. Still have 4-5 thousand rounds left, but my shooting frequency has suffered because I am one that can't bring myself to pay $15-$20 for it now.

Ryanxia
March 26, 2013, 01:10 PM
Ya it's time to just sit back and wait it out. It'll catch up.

allaroundhunter
March 26, 2013, 01:13 PM
I was at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago and bought 200 rounds of .22 lr CCI Stingers for about $23.... Not too shabby for the current situation. I won't go into 9mm or .223...

Killian
March 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
These same type of pledges were being made when gasoline went above a $1 a gallon. This is a real stroll down memory lane. Thank you for posting this.

Ignition Override
March 27, 2013, 12:05 AM
That's a deal, both in theory and reality, because I have no handgun and my last purchase of reloadable Prvi .303 was December, in the nick of time from the last distributor selling it at the Old, 'normal' price.

Having planned ahead for the '08 and '12 elections -a Politburo clearly waiting for any terrible tragedy to be exploited- I would not have bought any 'British' .303 at the new prices much above .75/round, nor any other type of round so inflated. It's often a personal decision.

Agsalaska
March 27, 2013, 12:12 AM

I agree. We are our own worst enemy. Just don't blame the people charging those prices. If people are willing to pay they are doing exactly what they should do. I would much rather they do that then do this rationing nonsense some of the big boxes are doing.

Hacker15E
March 27, 2013, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately, no product has an objective value, and there are at least two components to the "supply and demand" economic model. A small group of people pledging to not contribute to the 'demand' side of the model when we are in a global market is really quite meaningless.

Affirming not to buy gas at more than $3/gallon would make you walk and ride your bicycle quite a bit rather than assisting market forces to bring down the price of petrol.

I remember buying 9x19 for $4.99 per 50 when I first bought a 9mm pistol -- what makes $11.99 any more of a "fair" or "valid" price than $4.99? What makes either of those prices any more fair or valid than $15.99?

Market price is determined by the combination of several different economic forces (of which consumer demand is only one aspect).

guyfromohio
March 27, 2013, 08:03 AM
Fuel is not optional. Ammo is, to a degree. I have a brand new unfired 1911 that won't shoot until prices are deemed appropriate by me. That may be never or it may be next month.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
Dollar cost averaging is your friend. If you buy at inflated prices and prices go down you just buy more ammo to lower the average cost paid. If ammo continues to increase in price the over priced ammo you bought is now cheap ammo and can lower the cost of higher priced ammo. The prices of ammo may fall some when the crises is over but it will never return to the levels it was before this mess started. Normal costs to make and distribute the ammo will increase not withstanding any outside interference such as politics or geo political concerns. I fear what we are seeing today is the new normal when it comes to ammo.

oneounceload
March 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
Fuel is not optional.

Yes, it is. You do not NEED fuel to live and exist. I have a 90 year old aunt who never learned to drive - she walked, rode a bus, subway or took a cab everywhere she wanted to go. There are plenty of folks living off the grid, fuel is the same as ammo in this regard

au01st
March 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
I bought some 9mm brass at $12.99/50 for my dad because he is bringing his XDM down for a range day at my brother's place and I would like to shoot it a fair bit. I won't ask him to give me ammo for free just to indulge my wants. I don't own a 9mm.

Arkansas Paul
March 27, 2013, 03:36 PM
Fuel is not optional.

People lived for a couple hundred thousand years without it. Unless you count wood.

guyfromohio
March 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
Fuel is a necessary part of my life. I would not sustain my current lifestyle without mobility.

Aiko492
March 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
Silliness

David E
March 27, 2013, 07:42 PM
I,____ being a reasonable person, yet denying current reality, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99, .22LR for more than $1.99 and .223 for more than $7.99.

Cool! More for me!

:rolleyes:

herkyguy
March 28, 2013, 08:37 AM
i pass on a lot of ammo these days, but when i have the cash and the desire to go shoot, i'll still pay a few bucks more.

dirtykid
March 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
I watched last night at our local Fleet Farm , as 2-goons greedily scooped up 20-box's each of some steel-cased 5.56 ammo at $11.99 a box/20
They keep the ammo behind the gun-counter now to control people from buying too much at once, so I peered across the counter and saw they had some 100-ct boxs
of .45ACP ,, the clerk grabbed a box and set it on the counter,and stated there is a 5-box maximum per person,per day,, so I look back at the shelf and see $47.99 a box !!
I politely said "no thanks" I'll let somebody else pay that much !!

watergun
March 28, 2013, 09:28 AM
Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rduchateau2954
March 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
I'm with ya, I just passed on several boxes of Winchester for $20 a box.

hardheart
March 28, 2013, 12:33 PM
Any reasonable person should be capable of withholding purchases until pricing meets their expectations and ability to afford. Those who go through life unprepared with no forethought and no personal responsibility may feel fine with throwing money away at the drop of a hat when a little planning would have saved them in the long run. Seems only those who are the willing victims of current market forces and those who are the victimizers are happy about those willing to pay the current prices. But a lot of products would be priced at much lower margins if the public could manage a collective IQ greater than a toaster oven.

But at least there are some who recognize that 'supply & demand' are not just buzzwords spat out to support anything that separates a fool and his money, and that the buyer sets prices. A thread about making the personal choice to assign a dollar value relative to the worth of the good in a person's life and the income they maintain is certainly not the height of communism or stupidity. Going with the flow and paying through the nose at every opportunity to jerk knees seem immensely less intelligent. The guy with more ammo is supposed to be more impressive than the guy with more money, maybe. Too bad there are are guys with more of both who get to sit back.

Not doing things like standing in line at Wal-mart for three hours or trying to find a way to justify punching paper at five times the expense on an online auction while receiving no wage increases or proportionate improvement in shooting skill is a better spot to be in, imo.

joeschmoe
March 28, 2013, 03:47 PM
I remember all the people who said they wouldn't pay more than 99 cents a pack for cigarettes. Then $1.99, then $2.99. Now it's $4-$6 a pack. They still buy.

Same for gas at 99 cents a gallon. Then $1.99, then $2.99, etc.

You'll pay what the market demands, or you won't get any.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 28, 2013, 06:23 PM
If I need it, I'll buy it. If I don't need it, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

montanaoffroader
March 28, 2013, 10:03 PM
I haven't seen prices much below $15 a box for 9mm around here for years. Same for other rounds, not much below $15-20 for any centerfire round (with a lot of it being even more expensive) except .223 which could be had for ~ $10. 22LR has been $20 or more for a 500-555 bulk pack for years.

The local Wally World has never had much in the way of ammo, no deals on bulk packs or WWB. I usually buy at Big R (farm and ranch store) or a couple of small local places.

If I could find 9mm for $11.99, I would certainly buy it. A lot of it.

It's a good thing I reload for most of the stuff I shoot, otherwise I wouldn't be doing much shooting right now.

TIMC
March 28, 2013, 10:49 PM

Is that you max per round rice? ;)

jdooner
March 29, 2013, 09:02 AM
My buddy's fil, who doesn't shoot anymore, just gave him 5k rounds of .22 and a bunch of 9mm. Some guys have all the luck.

breakingcontact
March 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'm not going to pay the prices the flippers want (really surprised they get the prices or even close to what they ask) but I have no issue paying a couple bucks more per box than when it was in ready supply.

Brass 9mm good quality...at $13/$14 I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Yes, it used to be cheaper and I used to find $1000 used cars that were reliable and would run for a few years.

oneounceload
March 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
Amazing how, just a few months ago, people were turning up their noses at reloading 9mm because "it was everywhere and SOOOO cheap". Funny how a few months changed a LOT of attitudes about that

UKWildcatFan
March 29, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, it is. You do not NEED fuel to live and exist. I have a 90 year old aunt who never learned to drive - she walked, rode a bus, subway or took a cab everywhere she wanted to go. There are plenty of folks living off the grid, fuel is the same as ammo in this regard
Last time I checked buses and cabs use fuel. Wow. :banghead:

JohnBT
March 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
"turning up their noses at reloading 9mm"

I'm lazy, I bought multiple cases of Swiss-made 9mm when it was $200/1k. I'm glad I'm not trying to find powder and primers now.

I even bought a thousand .45 ACP this week. They were $125 more than they used to be, but at least they weren't marked up 40% or 100% or something worse. And then Cabela's had Herter's (S&B?) 158 gr. FMJ .38 Spec. yesterday for $18/box of 50 - limit 5.

John

smalls
March 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
9mm was a little higher around here before the shortage, IIRC.

Amazing how, just a few months ago, people were turning up their noses at reloading 9mm because "it was everywhere and SOOOO cheap". Funny how a few months changed a LOT of attitudes about that

I find it funny, too. I was just about to get into reloading, too. Now I just have to wait til this crap stops.

Certaindeaf
March 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
"turning up their noses at reloading 9mm"

I'm lazy, I bought multiple cases of Swiss-made 9mm when it was $200/1k. I'm glad I'm not trying to find powder and primers now..
That would last some a week. You coulda spent that same $600-1000 on a metric ton of components back then too. different folks

CPLofMARINES
March 31, 2013, 02:35 PM
I won't do it.
I bought all my stuff quite a few years ago. :D

Semper Fi

Johannes_Paulsen
March 31, 2013, 03:01 PM
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."
Publilius Syrus ~100 BC

Queen_of_Thunder
March 31, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cool! More for me!

:rolleyes:
Guess you won't be shooting anymore. You will never see those prices again especially for 22lr. BTW in case no one else has offered I'll buy your ammo at those prices.

DC Plumber
March 31, 2013, 04:58 PM
I'm confident that prices will get back to 2011 (or so) prices. Eventually people's stock piles will be "stocked" and the buying will slow.

I do applaud the effort to get people to just say "no" though. I reload and have a pretty good stock. Haven't bought primers since Bush was in office. I think I'm good for the next 4 years, it'll be close.

It's so simple, supply and demand. I don't criticize people who flip ammo. If someone is willing to pay it, so be it. I've been tempted to sell a few of my .22 bricks and put the money back into lead for my 38 special.

Like the saying goes, "this too will pass".

MAKster
March 31, 2013, 05:16 PM
Primers are out of stock as well, so I don't see what benefit being a reloader is in the current situation.

BBQJOE
March 31, 2013, 05:26 PM
Primers are out of stock as well, so I don't see what benefit being a reloader is in the current situation.
Reloaders tend to buy in bulk.
Most of the ones I know, have powder and primers on hand from just before the start of the Obama days, and still have plenty to last for years. (with a modicum of self control)
Now is not the time to even think about getting setup to reload.
That was years ago.

Hapworth
April 1, 2013, 12:28 AM
I'll buy whatever I've determined I need at whatever price I'm willing to pay.

M2 Carbine
April 1, 2013, 12:54 AM

Sure I'll go along with that since I wouldn't even pay those prices.

Last 9mm I bought was $4.38 a box or less.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/9mmWWB.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/9mmReloads.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/22stock3_zpsb7e50f69.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/hotweatherreloads.jpg

Try planning ahead.
It will not only save you money, but you will have all the inexpensive ammo you want.

captain awesome
April 1, 2013, 01:02 AM
Agreed. I won't pay more than that either. Actually I wont even pay that much. since I cast my own and reload everything, and stocked up long ago before the "craziness" I have most of what I need. Now my only limitation is I cant start shooting any new calibers, and I dont have quite enough powder in a couple select calibers that I already do have. If any one has a line on some reasonably priced RL10x let me know.

There's one exception, I can see myself willing to pay as much as $25 for a brick of 500+ 22lr, maybe $30 in a bad pinch but that would be the limit, I only shoot 22 because its super cheap. If it quits being super cheap (as it has recently) I wont shoot it any more. When I can shoot 357, 10mm or 45 acp for as little as 6 cents a round, why bother paying more to shoot 22?

M2 Carbine
April 1, 2013, 01:12 AM
We plan ahead.
Even at that, during the last ammo shortage I got down to 10,000 small rifle primers. That will not happen again.

A friend and were at the gun show when it looked like the American people were actually going to be stupid enough to vote for obama (the 1st time).

We were at a table trying to decide if we were going to buy a LOT of bullets or a WHOLE LOT of bullets.

My friend said, "If you don't like the price now, you are going to really hate the price next year".

We bought everything the seller had in our calibers.
We are very happy we stretched the budget that day.:)

oneounceload
April 1, 2013, 09:01 AM
Last time I checked buses and cabs use fuel. Wow.

Wow, yourself - since they do use fuel and you can get around, fuel is NOT a necessity for YOU....which was the point

As to the original post - I will pay what I consider to be a fair price at the time - no more, no less, for ANY product that I want or need, whether that is $3.55/gallon for gas to go to the gun club, or $16/lb for scallops to grill for dinner

DeepSouth
April 1, 2013, 09:31 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but our hobby (like many other things) is getting more expensive. You can either get on board, or find another hobby.

That said prices will come back down, not as much as most people want them to, but they will come down. Then guess what? There gonna go back up. Buy low and stock up because when prices come down they don't come down quiet as far as last time. I haven't bought any ammo since about last November, when I start running low I'll buy more. How much more depends on the prices at the time, and my expendable income at that time.f

I refuse to sign because I enjoy shooting and I'm not willing to give up. Like I said prices everywhere are going up, it's reality and the shooting hobby is not somehow miraculously exempt form it. Not to. mention the prices of metals are going up fast, it is illogical to think that lead, brass, and copper will go up but ammo should not. Think about it people.

My 2

Edit:
I did buy one box of 50-90 sharps, it was 114$ to the house.

Excuse typos posted via iPhone.

joeschmoe
April 1, 2013, 03:07 PM
Wow, yourself - since they do use fuel and you can get around, fuel is NOT a necessity for YOU....which was the point

You're not making sense here. You claimed fuel is optional and your example was your aunt using public transportation. While ignoring the fact that those buses run on fuel. Fuel is used to bring her food to market, produce the shoes she wore to walk, heat and light her home, etc.
No. Fuel is not optional. Just because you don't buy it personally doesn't mean you don't consume it. We don't personally buy radioactive rods or coal, but the power plant that is connected to this computer does. You can reduce your usage, but not eliminate it.
Regular shooting sport is optional. Either buy when prices are down, pay what the market demands, or find another hobby.
IMO, people should factor in the cost of at least 1k of ammo with the price of a primary SHTF rifle. Packed away, never to be shot. Anything else is for practice or sport.

oneounceload
April 1, 2013, 03:40 PM
Fuel is optional for YOUR personal car - it is not a necessity - folks survived for hundreds of thousands of years without it. Water and food and shelter are necessities

Trent
April 2, 2013, 05:38 AM
As a reloader who (finally) ran out of 9mm projectiles, I have to say.. current prices suck.

And you can't exactly say I was ill-prepared.. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=705009&highlight=cleaned+my+reloading+room

I discovered my stockpile had two weaknesses.. 9mm and 22lr.

I never bothered reloading 9mm very much, because it was always so cheap. Once the shortage started I found I'd only set back 1500 projectiles.

Over 20k Spp, pounds of powder, 70k+ shellcasings, and two nights of work on my Dillon press and I ran out of bullets.

Once projectiles are widely available again I am remedying this. :)

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
April 2, 2013, 06:56 AM
Quick Reply - pressed for time will read-through after work-

I haven't bought ammo since late November :( Can't wait to again, starting to get low -extra :(

Hacker15E
April 2, 2013, 07:55 AM
No. Fuel is not optional. Just because you don't buy it personally doesn't mean you don't consume it.

How did the human species ever survive for 10s of thousands of years without oil or petroleum products if it is "not optional"?

CajunBass
April 2, 2013, 08:00 AM
It's ok with me if you don't buy anything you don't want to. I'm not going to try to make you buy it.

You don't try to stop me from buying what I want, and we'll call it even.

Teachu2
April 2, 2013, 01:10 PM
How did the human species ever survive for 10s of thousands of years without oil or petroleum products if it is "not optional"?
Same way we got along without guns. Poorly.

JDR
April 2, 2013, 01:29 PM
I've been able to get .40 S&W whitebox Winchester & Federals, and some Blazers, so I've been shooting my H&K USP all the time; my 9mm's & .45's just sit in the closet.

joeschmoe
April 2, 2013, 02:17 PM
Fuel is optional for YOUR personal car - it is not a necessity - folks survived for hundreds of thousands of years without it. Water and food and shelter are necessities

You mean before there were over 300 million Americans and 7 billion people on the planet?
By living near natural sources of water, food and shelter. Living sustainably off of what the habitat around them could sustain. Moving and eating seasonally. That's not true any more. Now we live densely populated, far from our food and water sources with all of our products made far away in energy demanding methods.

The water that comes out of your faucet consumes large amounts of fuel to get to you. The shoes on your feet were made with fuel, transported with fuel. The food you eat used lots of fuel to grow, harvest and transport to you.

Unless you live alone in a forest with only goods you made from the plants and animals around you; then you consume fuel. Early American colonists consumed large quantities of fuel; whale oil, hemp seed oil, coal, wood, bees wax, etc.

No. Fuel is not optional. To think that means you really don't understand how interconnected we are and how dependent we are on fuel and each other.

Inazone
April 2, 2013, 05:05 PM
I hate paying more than pre-panic prices for ammo, but until it is showing up where I shop and staying in stock for more than half an hour, I've accepted that I might have to "strike while the iron is hot" and pay a little more. Two weeks ago, I went to a gun show and was thrilled to find a guy charging $.50/round for .223 FMJ, but when all was said and done, I came away with a whopping 84 rounds, picking through partial boxes and plastic bags to get that far. Most sellers wanted $.75/round even when buying in quantity.

Last week, I paid $16/box (50 rounds) of Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ and wished I'd bought one of the 350-round boxes when they were available a month ago, but it's more important to me to get in as much practice as I can, and a 5-box limit meant that I barely replaced what I'd used up on my last couple of range visits. It's still reloadable brass and still runs reliably in my guns, plus it allows me to keep my better defensive rounds tucked away that much longer.

Today, I found a good amount of Lake City .223 FMJ and SP for $.60/round, which was more than I would have paid a month or two ago, but as with the 9mm last week, it allows me to replenish what I used up, make another trip to the range, and even set some aside. Ammo is slowly but surely turning up locally, but I'm not counting on it to be in stock for long. The lower-priced ammo that's never in stock is of zero use to me, while the overpriced in-stock ammo is useful right now.

If you enjoyed reading about "I,____ being a reasonable person, hereby affirm to not buy 9mm for more than $11.99," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!