Customizing bolt carrier

PDA

Texas Gun User
March 25, 2013, 08:05 PM
Customizing bolt carrier,

Is this done.???

If you enjoyed reading about "Customizing bolt carrier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BBBBill
March 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
Your post is rather cryptic. Bolt carrier for what gun? There are more guns than an AR-15 that use a bolt carrier. What kind of "customizing" are you interested in? Weight/mass changes? Color? .....

Texas Gun User
March 25, 2013, 08:14 PM
Sorry your right......change in clearance in the lower rear open area.... on a AR 15 RR carrier

Texas Gun User
March 25, 2013, 08:16 PM

rcmodel
March 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
Still kinda cryptic.

AR-15 carriers are already often changed from a stock M-16 bolt carrier to prevent easy cponversion back to full-auto and lighten them for faster cycling.

A current trend is to go back to a heavier M16 type carrier to slow down cycling and reduce felt recoil.

What is your goal?
Or what problem you are trying to hint at?

rc

BBBBill
March 25, 2013, 08:49 PM
Easier to purchase what you want. Either way, not without the paperwork that goes with. :) Greybar Hotel is not a fun place. This type of question is frowned on around here. No one wants to be an accessory to a felony. The NFA forum might be a more appropriate place for this discussion, assuming that you are not soliciting assistance in doing something illegal. http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58 Sorry if I am misinterpreting what you are asking, but that's the best I can do with what you have offered.

Texas Gun User
March 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
Gentlemen.....I had no illegal intentions. Just tinkering to make things run lighter, faster, longer, etc.....by your reaction you have had some come here seeking info on illegal things. It was not my intention to cause worry or concern, my apologies. I thought the Gun Smithing area would be the correct venue seek out info to tinker legally. I was under the impression you had to modify the trigger group to go to full auto....not the carrier, am I misinformed ?

rcmodel
March 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
You might be getting the wrong impression.
And you might also be getting the wrong information.

There is nothing illegal about running an M-16 bolt carrier in an otherwise perfectly legal AR-15.

The bolt carrier is not what the ATF considers a full-auto weapon part, and it is in no way against the law to use one in an AR-15.

As long as you don't have an M16 lower capable of holding M16 fire control trigger parts in it, you can put anything in the upper you want to put in it, or modify it in any way, and be well within the law.

But your question still remains unanswered?

To what purpose do you want to "change in clearance in the lower rear open area"??

That part is still a mystery?

rc

Texas Gun User
March 25, 2013, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I thought I had answered that question in my last comment, my intention was to be just tinkering.......maybe my usage of the word "clearence" was wrong.... I wished to make the carrier lighter than it is now to increase cycling rate more, and reduce wear. To learn a bit from real tinkering on my own...... for my own entertainment.....without breaking any laws. I like putting things together myself, and improving on them on my own. I built a 3000 sq ft home on my own, and did all the work myself. All of it. I have always repaired my own cars, and tinkered with them to make them faster...run smoother, but maybe all this was not a good idea......research on my own.....seems an unwelcome idea.....these days. I withdraw my question.....

BBBBill
March 25, 2013, 11:24 PM
Agreed, rc. But, based on initial impression which TGU has cleared up, was of something else. I love rock and roll as much as anyone, but am stuck on staying on this side of the bars. TGU, as noted, nothing illegal about using the full auto BC to add a bit of mass to the cycling parts.

rcmodel
March 25, 2013, 11:44 PM
but maybe all this was not a good idea......research on my own.....seems an unwelcome idea.....these days. I withdraw my question.....Not at all.
And Don't get your shorts in a wad.

Your initial post was unclear as to what your intentions were.

But as I sad in post #5.
The current trend is to make a bolt carrier heavier, not lighter to make an AR-15 run smoother and faster to stay or get back on target.

Since the inception of the full-auto Armalite AR-15 / M16, it has been a continuing quest for the best way to slow it down to smooth out the recoil impulse and control it for faster aimed fire.
Not make it cycle faster.

Sorry we all got off to a bad start. :o

But we were all just trying to answer your question in the OP, with little information to go on as to your intentions.

Sorry!
And You all, come back now.
Ya hear! :D

rc

CGT80
March 26, 2013, 02:41 AM
I haven't heard of anyone lightening a bolt carrier themselves, but JP has a LMOS or low mas operating system which uses lightened parts and feels like shooting a 10/22 rifle. The sights stay right on target. Most people use an adjustable gas block to prevent from pushing the light parts too fast. Less mass moving seems to mean less recoil. I shot one of these JP setups and was amazed. I will probably do the upgrades to my AR 15. I also wondered if anyone lightened their own parts, or if it was a critical process best left up to a manufacturer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Customizing bolt carrier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!