Which Die Is Maladjusted?

PDA

cwbys4evr
March 27, 2013, 07:32 AM
Ran into a strange and frustrating problem last night. I am using a Lee Pro 1000 with Lee carbide dies to reload 40.

Monday night I used this press to load 50 rounds of 40. I used it single stage style because I wanted to verify every single charge until I trusted the powder measure. Everything went well.

Last night I attempted to load 50 more, using the press in progressive mode as intended. I went very slow and carefully. Problem: just about every bullet I seated was skewed to the point of ruining the brass. This brings up two questions.

1. I notice it is a bit difficult to put the bullet on the case properly, as if the case were not flared enough. Is that something that can or should be adjusted?

2. Or, is it the seating die that needs to be adjusted? If so, in what manner?

I was using brand new Starline brass so it is frustrating to ruin 5 or 6 rounds of never fired stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Die Is Maladjusted?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mdemetz
March 27, 2013, 07:44 AM
Should be the 2nd die(powder thru) that does the flare. You want just enough that you can set the bullet on the case mouth and it will stay there.

IlikeSA
March 27, 2013, 07:47 AM
It may also help to chamfer your brass some.

rbernie
March 27, 2013, 07:52 AM
Should be the 2nd die(powder thru) that does the flare.It surely is. The flaring/powder drop die needs to be screwed in a bit more (test one turn at a time), and then you need to recheck the seater die to make sure that the seater is removing the flare when seating the bullet.

cwbys4evr
March 27, 2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks, I will try that!

GLOOB
March 28, 2013, 03:20 PM
At the top of the ram stroke, make sure your shell plate is just touching/kissing the bottom of the sizing die. Also, you must check when all the stations are full to make sure it's still touching. At the top of the ram stroke, you shouldn't be able to slip a piece of paper between the sizing die and shellplate.

When stations are all full, the shellholder might flex a little, making some of the dies work differently than when running as SS. Just make sure sizing die is correct before running off and adjusting the other dies, or you'll make more work for yourself. Cuz the sizing die is the one that determines where the press indexes.

gamestalker
March 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
I would also make sure it isn't producing more crimp than is necessary to close the mouth bell, this would surely damage the brass as well.
GS

cwbys4evr
March 29, 2013, 11:48 PM
I adjusted the die per directions here and now it works great! Cranked out 50 rounds in 30 mins with zero seating problems. Thanks, you guys are the best!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Die Is Maladjusted?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!