Glock Love

PDA

MisterMike
March 27, 2013, 01:28 PM
They're a little bit ugly. Definitely industrial. Not a lot of artistry. And, they rattle a little bit when I shake them. :D

But, it struck me after I went for my annual qualification shoot earlier this week (LEOSA), that the only pistols that have never failed me have been my Glocks. Nary a light strike, FTF, or FTE. No hiccups. Ever. Just ugly guns that have gone "bang" every time I pulled the trigger.

This has caused me to rethink my CCW options (again). Over the past year I've been alternating between my XD-S and my P238. But, I'm thinking that the unrelenting reliability of my Glocks dictates making one of them my go-to pistol (probably the G23). It looks like I've turned into a Glock Phanboy.

Has anyone else gone through this cycle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Love" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RBid
March 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Different journey, similar destination.

All but one of the firearms that I've owned have been flawless. They've also been a pain to find mags and holsters for, and finding the right blend of size and capability was tough. Glocks make that easy. Mine are functioning no better or worse than my SR9c, XDm, or PPQ did/are. They're just more convenient. I appreciate that about them.

wgp
March 27, 2013, 03:19 PM
I am a long-time 1911 person with several examples, and I truly like them. But then I bought a Glock 23, sort of thinking that it was such an icon among guns I should have one. Now I have 4, all 19s and 23s and rarely carry anything else. Ugly is in the eye, and the fact that, compared to most 1911s, they are cheap, durable, simple, hold lots more rounds and (for me) have gone bang every time asked, has made them a lot less ugly to me. They're not perfect, but nothing is.

MisterMike
March 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
I am a long-time 1911 person with several examples, and I truly like them. But then I bought a Glock 23, sort of thinking that it was such an icon among guns I should have one. Now I have 4, all 19s and 23s and rarely carry anything else. Ugly is in the eye, and the fact that, compared to most 1911s, they are cheap, durable, simple, hold lots more rounds and (for me) have gone bang every time asked, has made them a lot less ugly to me. They're not perfect, but nothing is.

Yes, I realize my experience (of 100% reliability) isn't necessarily indicative of everyone's experience. And, it's not like I've had big problems with my other handguns--they've certainly been 99%-plus reliable. But once you experience a "click" without the accompanying "bam," it tends to plant a tiny seed of doubt. I know that any machine is subject to failure, but the fact that I've owned three of them and have used them on a regular basis without ever experiencing a malfunction is a huge plus.

SDGlock23
March 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm a Glock guy, and I don't think they're ugly. Years ago I thought they were, but I love how they look now. Ugly is a Hi-Point.

ny32182
March 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
If you have "never had a malfunction", you simply have not shot enough, as eventually you will run into a bad round of ammo, break a small part, wear out a spring.... it is inevitable.

But yes, I also agree that Glocks are absolutely #1 when it comes to "get the job done with everything you need and nothing you don't" performance, and they are about as reliable as any pistol will ever be, past, present, or future.

scaatylobo
March 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
When they first came out I swore to never own one.

A fellow LEO lent me his G-27 to T&E and I went and bought one the next day for BUG and off duty.

I own 6 and not one has ever given me a hiccup in any way.

I would [ and do ] stake my life on any one of them.

YES = I do own a few of most other makers,but its the Glock that is 'bulletproof' and they fit in my SHTF/EOTWAWKI bag.

robby04162
March 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
My girlfriend's sister cannot reliably shoot my Glock 19 Gen 4. Funny thing is she works as a guard in a prison and was taught to shoot with a 23 that worked perfectly according to her. She constantly gets jams from what I associate to limp wristing. Nobody else has any problems with the gun aside from a steel cased round that took a second strike to fire. All I know is if I hand her the gun, it will fail. Hand it to anyone else, and it's fine.

Kind of makes me question it's reliability if I don't have a nice hold of the gun, but I can't make it fail on me when I try.

WinThePennant
March 27, 2013, 10:23 PM
They're a little bit ugly. Definitely industrial. Not a lot of artistry. And, they rattle a little bit when I shake them. :D

But, it struck me after I went for my annual qualification shoot earlier this week (LEOSA), that the only pistols that have never failed me have been my Glocks. Nary a light strike, FTF, or FTE. No hiccups. Ever. Just ugly guns that have gone "bang" every time I pulled the trigger.

This has caused me to rethink my CCW options (again). Over the past year I've been alternating between my XD-S and my P238. But, I'm thinking that the unrelenting reliability of my Glocks dictates making one of them my go-to pistol (probably the G23). It looks like I've turned into a Glock Phanboy.

Has anyone else gone through this cycle?
Yes. That is why I carry a Glock. Throw in the side benefit of never-ending after-market items, and you have a real winner. I'll never trust my life to anything but Glock. Sure, there are others I own. But, Glock is the way to go when it comes to life and death situations.

Glock all the way.

chris in va
March 27, 2013, 10:35 PM
My G21 never missed a step. Problem was, I couldn't hit a darn thing with it.

Kachok
March 27, 2013, 10:56 PM
Never liked the feel of a Glock, and when I heard about the unsupported chamber I knew right then and there that I would never ever own one, too many kabooms as a result of their design, not real popular with us handloaders. I'll stick to my XDm thanks, I can run full pressure loads through them with confidence.

Kachok
March 27, 2013, 11:08 PM
BTW for those of you who don't know what that is this is what I am talking about.

jon_in_wv
March 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
When any other brand malfunctions, its because it isn't a Glock. When a Glock malfunctions, it ammo related. Much of the bulletproof reputation is peppered with fanboyism and hype. Most of the reliability tests were done with a conspicuous absence of being done head to head with its competition. THAT BEING SAID, Glocks are still very, very good and reliable pistols. Within a few short years, hype aside, they have rightly earned a great reputation. Glock has earned its place as a top tier pistol and I'm sure it will continue to be. I don't own one, nor have I ever, but no collection is complete without one.

BTW, one of Glocks flaws is its undying adherence to it's "Perfection" campaign. They have had several design flaws, and fixes, and they do so very quietly so they won't have to admit they weren't "perfect". I think the issue of the unsupported chambers has largely been corrected in the latest models.

Inebriated
March 27, 2013, 11:28 PM
Never liked the feel of a Glock, and when I heard about the unsupported chamber I knew right then and there that I would never ever own one, too many kabooms as a result of their design, not real popular with us handloaders. I'll stick to my XDm thanks, I can run full pressure loads through them with confidence.

They fixed that quite some time ago.

Kachok
March 27, 2013, 11:32 PM
They fixed that quite some time ago.
I heard it was worse on the new ones, don't have one to compare with so I cannot say for sure.

Inebriated
March 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
Gen 3 Glock 32:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL858978D90283EA35&v=kE6YRu40Mss&feature=player_detailpage#t=207s

Teachu2
March 28, 2013, 03:28 AM
Over the last 35 years, I've carried revolvers from a .38 Airweight snubbie up to a 6" .357 N-frame, and semis from PPK/S to 1911s - and some pretty awful BUGs, as well. HATED Glocks, until I decided to get a poly carry gun. Tried G17, G19, M&Ps, XDs (pretty much all the rentals) and wasn't inpressed by any until the rangemaster suggested a G30. Loved the way it handled and the outstanding accuracy. Bought one. Wanted a 9mm range gun, same guy pointed me at a G34. It took me 300 rounds or so to quit trying to shoot it like a 1911, changed grip and got it hitting where I wanted. Now my carry rotation (we only get three on a CCW here) consists of a G30, a G36, and a G26. I also own a 17L, a 21, a 21SF, and am waiting on a 19. Just got a Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for the 17L/34.

I now own more Glocks than any other brand, and shoot them nearly exclusively. The longslides (17L and 34) need sufficiently powerful ammo to function (PMC Bronze will short-cycle them on occasion) but I could change RSAs and cure that. The rest shoot anything and everything. I have yet to get one dirty enough to cause a malfunction - but I'm sure trying!

If I had to pick up a NIB pistol and defend my life with it immediately, my first choice would be a Glock.

tarosean
March 28, 2013, 04:02 AM
When a Glock malfunctions, it ammo related.

You mean Limp wristing.... A term I never heard of till Glocks became so popular. Now it seems to be the go to excuse.

vba
March 28, 2013, 08:51 AM
Out of all my polymer pistols, Glock, M&P, Kahr, Sig and H&K, it is the Glocks that I trust the most.

tinroad37e
March 28, 2013, 09:48 AM
The Glock KABOOM is not nearly as common as people think. 1.) There are more glocks on the market than any other handgun, so you will hear about more problems. 2.) A hand few of people were shooting very hot ammo in the older Glock 22s and had a KABOOM, but the pictures were spread online and the story repeated, so it's generally thought this is a common occurrence.

I will not own an XD for the simple reason you could once buy one new (HS2000) for $300 until Springfield put their name on it, and the price raised. They could of at least come up with their own polymar handgun design to compete wth Glock, like Smith and Wesson did.

tarosean
March 28, 2013, 10:18 AM
2.) A hand few of people were shooting very hot ammo in the older Glock 22s and had a KABOOM, but the pictures were spread online and the story repeated,

It really is like a cult, denial and undying devotion..

Except for the fact that there was not much of an internet back when Glock rushed a 40 based on their 9mm out the door in order to beat S&W to the store shelves.

Every manufacture that didn't build a purpose built gun for 40 had to go back to the drawing board. Its well documented that the ones who slapped a bigger barrel and mag in a 9 caused all sorts of problems from the aforementioned kabooms to destroying frames like Hi Powers, etc.

and so it goes....

Bushpilot
March 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
They could of at least come up with their own polymar handgun design to compete wth Glock, like Smith and Wesson did.

Don't you mean they could at least come up with a better polymer handgun like Smith and Wesson did?..lol :neener:

Inebriated
March 28, 2013, 11:03 AM
You mean Limp wristing.... A term I never heard of till Glocks became so popular. Now it seems to be the go to excuse.
It's well documented that most polymer-framed guns can suffer from limp-wristing. Surely you aren't claiming that it doesn't happen.

Hangingrock
March 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
Glock is a cost effective tool no more or no less. I’m not over enthusiastic about them but functionality has a beauty all of its own. I find people have a certain amount of ego involved in what they’ve selected and use thus becoming brand identifiable. In other words I’ve made the best selection and you have not. The brand matters not to me. Functionality is the driving attribute for what ever item/tool that I use.

C0untZer0
March 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
HK P7M8 purchased in 1985

Not one single failure of any kind - ever

hentown
March 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
I didn't go through any kind of "conversion cycle," just recognized Glocks for the great carry pistols that they are, early-on. Carry a G26 daily and bought one for my daughter and one of my sons. If I thought I'd be better-served with something else, I'd get something else. ;)

Hastings
March 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
I love Glocks, even though I used to be a 1911 guy. For decades I shot and carried 1911's or S&W revolvers. I didn't try a Glock until 2010, and I sincerely regret not doing it sooner.

I love the simplicity of the pistols. There are things I would change if I could, but not much. I prefer them over any other pistol, now.

One of the best things about Glock is the way they have inspired, in a competitive way, the other manufacturers to create some outstanding polymer framed firearms. I'm a big fan of the S&W M&P line, and am developing a real fondness for Ruger's SR9 and SR40. I'm eager to try the SR45.

Unfortunately, in some ways these other companies are passing Glock because Anton G. seems to feel that no further innovation or improvement is possible on his firearms. I'm picking up an M&P Shield 9mm tomorrow. If Glock produced a slim 9, or 40 I'd grab it in a minute. Sadly, the only thin Glock offering is the G36, and the mag capacity is just too small for a gun that isn't really that slender. I hope they eventually come out with a full-sized single-stack 45acp or 10mm. 10mm would be great because the other manufacturers seem to avoid this cartridge when making polymer handguns.

22250Rem
March 28, 2013, 09:24 PM
Got my first Glock, a G19, just over a year ago. Because I used to run into a Glock owner at the range occasionally and let him shoot my 357 and 44 Mag, (He'd never fired a 44 mag before). This was during the middle of the week and we usually had the whole place to ourselves. The more I shot his G19 the more I liked it. He claimed to have put thousands of rounds of ALL kinds of 9mm through that thing and it ran perfectly. It got to the point where I would bring some 9mm to the range just so I could shoot that thing without burning up anyone else's ammo if I ran into him; ( this was back when 9mm was relatively cheap and available everywhere). Then it dawned on me that I GOTTA get one of these things so I did. I work a different schedule now so I don't get to the range in the middle of the week as much as I once did. I wonder how him and his beloved Glock are doing these days? Sometimes I wonder if that guy was a Glock salesman... Cause he sure sold me.

Roadking Rider
March 29, 2013, 08:27 AM
Glocks are good guns, but I don't think there better than most major brands out there today. In some cases I think there not as good as some. I certainly do not think there better than a XD or a CZ. Two pistols that are in there same approx. price range. I can say this because I own,or have owned all three. I'm a fan of those three but a fanboy of none.

hentown
March 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
I'm sure glad that folks haven't given up on 1911s, because JMB has decided that there's no need for innovations. ;) If you're selling everything you can make and are seriously backordered, then the market is telling you that a few guys' opinions on the internet about how one should run one's business don't amount to much. :evil:

BTW, who is "Anton" Glock? Is that Gaston's brother, cousin, or what? :D

WinThePennant
March 29, 2013, 10:39 AM
You can make a good point by saying that the M&P line is better than Glock. And, part by part, it probably is a better gun.

Consider:

M&P is an ambi designed pistol.
M&P's stainless steel chassis provides more rigidity, which improves accuracy.
M&P slides are made of stainless steel. Glock slides are made of carbon steel.

That said, I love my Glocks. I'll probably buy an M&P before long, but Glock is still the one to beat. The fact that I can 'Self-Smith' pretty much everything on a Glock makes it the sure-fire winner for me.

Hangingrock
March 29, 2013, 12:50 PM
You can make a good point by saying that the M&P line is better than Glock. And, part by part, it probably is a better gun.

As for accuracy at 25yds I can’t say one is more accurate then the other when comparing a Glock G17 and an S&W MP9. But that said my sample is rather limited to the pistols I’ve fired.

Kachok
March 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
Given the number of kabooms Glocks have suffered even with factory ammo I would have absolulty zero confidence in handloading for one. I shoot better with the XD/XDm anyway and while Glocks have always been reliable for me the XDm is ever bit as good and has much better ergonomics, to my hands anyway.

hentown
March 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
Gaston Glock never sold out to the DemocRATs! Hooray for Glock! :cool: To allege that the M&P is more accurate than a Glock because of the frame material is sophomoric and fallacious. A stainless slide will rust. A Tenifered slide isn't likely to rust.

JDR
March 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
My G-17 gets more range time than the rest of them, my H&K USP 40 is catching up quick though

Kachok
March 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
To allege that the M&P is more accurate than a Glock because of the frame material is sophomoric and fallacious.
Agreed, never noticed any difference in accuracy between metal frame and poly. I know competitive shooters who use poly guns. While I like the feel of steel more when I have to carry them all day I go poly every single time.

rbernie
March 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone that's complained about unsupported chambers in a Glock hasn't gotten out much since the Gen3/Gen4 models (at least in the non-45ACP models). I've compared the chamber support for my 17/19/20/22/23/31 Gen4s against just about every other contemporary pistol out there, and the Glocks really are no longer the poster children for unsupported chambers that they once were....

Can't say as much for my 21's, but all others are well supported.

Inebriated
March 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
Anyone that's complained about unsupported chambers in a Glock hasn't gotten out much since the Gen3/Gen4 models (at least in the non-45ACP models). I've compared the chamber support for my 17/19/20/22/23/31 Gen4s against just about every other contemporary pistol out there, and the Glocks really are no longer the poster children for unsupported chambers that they once were....

Can't say as much for my 21's, but all others are well supported.
Yup. So let's quit spreading false information.

el Godfather
March 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
There is a reason i have it since 1991

WinThePennant
March 29, 2013, 06:18 PM
Increased rigidity makes a gun more accurate. That is a fact.

Also, stainless steel slides are better than carbon steel when it comes to resisting rust. Also, a fact.

Inebriated
March 29, 2013, 08:10 PM
Also, stainless steel slides are better than carbon steel when it comes to resisting rust. Also, a fact.
Yeah, if both are untreated... And if we look at Tenifer/Melonite treatments, they tend to negate metal differences. But then again, it works best on non-stainless materials. So I'm not sure what positive difference it makes in the M&P's favor.

WinThePennant
March 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah, if both are untreated... And if we look at Tenifer/Melonite treatments, they tend to negate metal differences. But then again, it works best on non-stainless materials. So I'm not sure what positive difference it makes in the M&P's favor.
M&P is both melonite treated AND stainless steel. Still better than tennifer coated carbon steel.

Inebriated
March 29, 2013, 09:00 PM
Tenifer and Melonite are the same, and as I said, they don't do as well with stainless as they do non-stainless. That's a fact.

jon_in_wv
March 29, 2013, 09:29 PM
To allege that the M&P is more accurate than a Glock because of the frame material is sophomoric and fallacious. A stainless slide will rust. A Tenifered slide isn't likely to rust.

Good to see I'm not the only one who saw the comedy in this.

WinThePennant
March 29, 2013, 09:41 PM
Tenifer and Melonite are the same, and as I said, they don't do as well with stainless as they do non-stainless. That's a fact.
They might not "do as well," but stainless steel is much more resistant to corrosion than is carbon steel. The only real disadvantage to modern stainless steel is that it does add more weight, which is a concern.

WinThePennant
March 29, 2013, 09:50 PM
And, who said that the slide improves accuracy?

I think I said "chassis", and not "slide."

There's no question but that S&W's chassis is superior to the Glock design.

Hangingrock
March 29, 2013, 10:01 PM
There's no question but that S&W's chassis is superior to the Glock design.

Smith&Wesson with its more rigid frame if there is an advantage in regard to accuracy the difference is simply not significant between the S&W MP9 and Glock G17. That’s shooting each pistol at 25yd & 7yd Lines with ammunition (WWB-Blazer-Remington-Federal-PPU-Geco-RWS-Speer LE +P and Winchester Ranger) expenditure in the thousands of rounds down range over a period of several years.

Inebriated
March 29, 2013, 11:30 PM
They might not "do as well," but stainless steel is much more resistant to corrosion than is carbon steel. The only real disadvantage to modern stainless steel is that it does add more weight, which is a concern.

Again, when they're treated, the superior treatment will make a bigger difference than steel type. Once you wear down the surface layer of the gun, sure... stainless will stain less than carbon. But until then, it's all about treatment quality. And Glock's treatment on their carbon steel slides is better than that of the M&P's stainless. You don't hear about Glock slide rust issues like you do on the M&P.

sgt127
March 30, 2013, 12:55 AM
Back in 1984, I was first sworn in. It was the era of IPSC. If you didn't shoot a 1911, you were a lightweight. So, I carried a Govt Model lightly modified for carry and the matches.

I got a little extra money together and had Wilson build me a Master Grade 130. It was incredible, still is. The finest handgun money could buy. I carried it every day in a Milt Sparks custom duty holster.

About 15 years ago, we were issued Glocks. 35's. With plastic Safairiland flip hood holsters. The Wilson went in the safe.

I have to admit, when it comes right down to it, for a pure working gun, its very hard to beat a Glock. They don't rust, they don't break and, they always go bang.

Back in the old days, you didn't actually buy a carry gun when you bought a Colt, you bought a kit. It then went to a good gunsmith who made it a carry gun.

We traded in the Glock 35's for 22's about 3 years ago. They are just as reliable. Handgun evolution is at its peak right now, there are so many great, reliable guns available now, at a fraction of what it cost just 25 years ago to achieve the same reliabilty.

I own a couple Glock 19's and the old 35. And, when I retire, I will get the Glock 22. If I had to pick the single best value in a handgun, pound for pound, reliablity, capacity, durabilty carryability etc, it would likely be the Glock 19.

marano35
March 30, 2013, 10:41 AM
"I'll stick to my XDm thanks"

That there is the essence of ugly. I would not hit a bull in the ass with a Springfield anything but to each his own. "I'll stick with my Glocks, they have run perfectly and I do mean perfectly for almost twenty years for me.

JDR
March 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
I got my G-17 after I got training & range time with a guy I know who is a Philly detective, and who carries a 19 as a duty weapon. Talk to a LEO and he will tell you that the brand of gun is only part of the equation, you need quality ammo, practice and range time and all the formal training you can get with whatever you have.

Godsgunman
March 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Not a Glock fanboy but they are good reliable guns. I owned a 26 but sold itfor personal reasons. There are plenty of other manufacturers just as reliable so to each his own. Glock IS NOT Perfection though, but it does its designed purpose well.

PabloJ
March 30, 2013, 03:15 PM
Don't you mean they could at least come up with a better polymer handgun like Smith and Wesson did?..lol :neener:
The sad part is S&W sold the Sigma, S&W99 and now makes the M&P and Glock is still better pistol.:rolleyes:

Hangingrock
March 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
The sad part is S&W sold the Sigma, S&W99 and now makes the M&P and Glock is still better pistol

The last three plus years I’ve been using S&W MP9 and Glock G17 on a regular basis. I think that S&W has an excellent design with the MP series. I also like the Glock Gen-3. I’ve not handled the Glock Gen-4 yet. Either way they are both good pistols. As far as one over the other that’s an individual’s subjective decision.

Pukindog12
March 30, 2013, 08:00 PM
I have fired Glocks before and have concluded they are not for me. That doesn't mean they aren't good and reliable handguns. Just not for me.

On a side note. I wonder how many Glock boys there would be if they ever fired a Walther P99 AS or PPQ? :scrutiny:

CDawg
March 30, 2013, 08:02 PM
Glocks are one of the few popular modern pistols that I've had absolutely no desire to own. I've shot them and they work well, but they're definitely not for me, even with the veterans discount. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it. To each their own.

WinThePennant
March 30, 2013, 08:20 PM
I have fired Glocks before and have concluded they are not for me. That doesn't mean they aren't good and reliable handguns. Just not for me.

On a side note. I wonder how many Glock boys there would be if they ever fired a Walther P99 AS or PPQ? :scrutiny:
There is actually MORE to the Glock than just shooting it.

Everything about Glock is great. They shoot great (not the greatest, but great none the less), they can be self-smithed, EVERY part that makes up a Glock can be purchased from hundreds of places, and the after-market accessories are without equal.

Glock all the way.

Xfire68
March 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
Was never a big fan of the Glock looks or anything else about the Glocks for that matter. Every time I went to the gun shop and handled one they did not feel right in my hand?

While shopping for a 10mm I kept checking out the Glock 20 and held a Gen 3 which was much more comfortable. I finally bought one and Right before the run on guns and I am nothing but happy with it. I did get a couple of light primer strikes on some reloads but, only a few out of 500++ so far.

Glocks=UGLY=Awesome!;)

Warp
March 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
I like my Glocks.

They look great to me.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/363d02f1.jpg

daveit
April 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
I used to own a Springfield Armory XD9sc. I ordered it direct from SA with night sights. It showed up and the sights were both loose... you could move them by hand. I sent it back and had them fixed. It came back and one wasn't centered right. I paid my own money to fix that.

Finally got it to the range & put 500 rounds of WWB and a couple different types of SD ammo. It had too many FTE issues for me to trust it and I wasn't going to send it back for any more work. Sold it to a guy, bought a Glock G26 (and later a G17RTF2) and haven't looked back.

It's not as good looking or comfortable, but it goes bang whenever I pull the trigger. I ordered a Glock 30S the other day. After shooting my new 1911 and seeing what that does compared to 9mm, I decided I'd much rather carry that round.

So that being said (like the other fella said above) my love is more for the fact that it does what it needs to not for its looks.

daveit
April 14, 2013, 11:24 AM
There is actually MORE to the Glock than just shooting it.

Everything about Glock is great. They shoot great (not the greatest, but great none the less), they can be self-smithed, EVERY part that makes up a Glock can be purchased from hundreds of places, and the after-market accessories are without equal.

Glock all the way.
Great point about the parts availability!

daveit
April 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
Given the number of kabooms Glocks have suffered even with factory ammo I would have absolulty zero confidence in handloading for one. I shoot better with the XD/XDm anyway and while Glocks have always been reliable for me the XDm is ever bit as good and has much better ergonomics, to my hands anyway.
People always bring this up... are there statistics or something out there? How do you know it's not some knucklehead that didn't load a round properly? You can take a couple Internet posts for anything and blow it out of proportion...

I've shot a lot of crappy ammo and a few thousand rounds of gun show reloads in my Glocks and they haven't exploded. "Kabooms" can happen to any firearm.

Bushpilot
April 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've shot a lot of crappy ammo and a few thousand rounds of gun show reloads in my Glocks and they haven't exploded. "Kabooms" can happen to any firearm.

Earlier Glocks had less support for the case in the feed ramp area. This facilitated feeding and function. The opening in the chamber extended beyond the webbing at the head of the case and into the thinner side wall. This is where the blow outs and separations occurred. With normal loads and by refraining from reloading brass too many times, it usually wasn't a problem. However, apparently Glock did feel it was necessary to address this issue because they made subsequent changes to the chamber in the feed ramp area.

WinThePennant, I am quite certain that there are far more accessories and suppliers available for 1911's than for any other pistol in the world. So, by your own criteria this must make the 1911 the Greatest Pistol in the World...!!!!...LOL

GLOOB
April 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
There are plenty of modern handguns that are just as reliable. But the Glock is still peerless, AFAIK, in terms of ease of detail strip and reassembly. 95% of the gun can be disassembled and reassembled with one hand and a toothpick... and zero curse words. If you subscribe to form-follows-function, the Glock is one fine-looking handgun.

TestPilot
April 14, 2013, 08:45 PM
You love Glocks? Good for you.

I do not. I do have my preference, but I do not love any guns. It's just guns.

I've seen jamming with all major brands I have ever got to fire except for springfield, and it's only because I had very little experience with them. Fire them enough, and I am sure I'll see some jamming.

I've seen Glock malfunction. Yes, Glock. Its ergonomics suck for me, and I hate the trigger with very abrasive feeling striker release point that has 7~8 lb resistance when they advsetise 5.5 b. Yes, their so called 5.5 lb trigger really isn't! Get your own scale and try measuring it. Unless you subscribe to the cult method of measuring a trigger resistance by puttin the scale on the bottom tip of the trigger(who the hell fires a gun like that?), you likely won't get 5.5 lb.

I can work with them. I'll take one over something like a Beretta M9. Not that M9 does not work as advertised, it just don't meet my requirements because of doctrine issues.

But, they're not all that worthy of the pedestal the worshipers put them on.

Magnuumpwr
April 14, 2013, 10:36 PM
Here is a not so great pic of my Glocks. Top left G35, below it G23, top right G22, below it G27, and bottom SBR-ed, suppressed G17.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/magnuumpwr/IMG_20130414_201633.jpg

dprice3844444
April 16, 2013, 02:40 AM
i get mine at police price,which makes them relatively inexpensive.if i have to use it in self defense,i will not cry as much as all those fancy expensive pistols if it is seized as evidence for the investigation.they are virtually indestructible.

SoFRamRod
April 16, 2013, 09:27 PM
Never made it past the first part of the cycle.
I think they're ugly, don't like the feel, never owned one, never will. But hey, that's just me. When I'm looking to buy a gun I automatically filter them out if possible.
Buy and shoot what makes YOU happy. It's not my place to judge what you or anyone else likes but since you asked, I'm just giving my 2cents.

mo_dingo
April 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
Where else can you find a extremely reliable firearm in 10mm for $525.00? Glock 20 baby!

1000 rounds in without cleaning and still zero FTF/FTE's in half commercial ammo/half reloads.

TarDevil
April 17, 2013, 02:12 PM
I've shot a number of Glocks and they never have felt good in my hands... with the exception of the Glock 20. Why that one is different I can't explain, but it is the one Glock I'd like to own.

They are great guns, but as simple and plentiful as they are I can't help wondering why they are more expensive than, say, a comparable Ruger. They charge what the market will support, I guess, but I'm not going to spend more for a gun that feels less comfortable in my hands.

WinThePennant
April 17, 2013, 08:08 PM
I've said it before, Glocks SHOOT better in the hand than they FEEL in the hand.

I wasn't that big a fan of Glocks either -- UNTIL I shot one.

RBid
April 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
I've said it before, Glocks SHOOT better in the hand than they FEEL in the hand.

I agree, 100%. Glocks feel 'OK' in my hand. I'd give the Gen 3 grip a 'B', and the Gen 4 texture a 'C'. I shoot them almost as well as I shoot the PPQ, which has a near perfect grip.

Teachu2
April 18, 2013, 09:55 PM
Over the last 35 years, I've carried revolvers from a .38 Airweight snubbie up to a 6" .357 N-frame, and semis from PPK/S to 1911s - and some pretty awful BUGs, as well. HATED Glocks, until I decided to get a poly carry gun. Tried G17, G19, M&Ps, XDs (pretty much all the rentals) and wasn't inpressed by any until the rangemaster suggested a G30. Loved the way it handled and the outstanding accuracy. Bought one. Wanted a 9mm range gun, same guy pointed me at a G34. It took me 300 rounds or so to quit trying to shoot it like a 1911, changed grip and got it hitting where I wanted. Now my carry rotation (we only get three on a CCW here) consists of a G30, a G36, and a G26. I also own a 17L, a 21, a 21SF, and am waiting on a 19. Just got a Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for the 17L/34.

I now own more Glocks than any other brand, and shoot them nearly exclusively. The longslides (17L and 34) need sufficiently powerful ammo to function (PMC Bronze will short-cycle them on occasion) but I could change RSAs and cure that. The rest shoot anything and everything. I have yet to get one dirty enough to cause a malfunction - but I'm sure trying!

If I had to pick up a NIB pistol and defend my life with it immediately, my first choice would be a Glock.
Since that post, I've added a G30sf, a G19, and two G23s (all Gen3) to the herd. Got a LW 9mm conversion barrel for the 23s, and am pleased with it. As an added bonus, a 10rd 23 mag holds 14 9mm cartridges, and functions flawlessly with the LW barrel. Next will be a .357 Sig barrel. I also bought a barely-used Les Baur SRP in hard chrome, at roughly the same cost as the four Glocks combined!
Given the CA DOJ denial of US-made G3s, and the non-listing of G4s, the possibility that Glock Austria goes exclusively G4 production has prompted me to buy a few extras!

Paladin7
April 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'm a fan....NOT a fanboy! Fanboys are ok if we are talking range toys and the guns we all love, but when it comes to serious social business there is no room for brand fantasys and marketing hype clouding real judgement and facts.

I took a very long and detailed look at carry pistols for serious social work before I made my choice. I was initially not interested in Glock and very skeptical about them. Were they the cheap choice for law enforcement agency's trying to meet a budget number and save money, or a serious option?

After all the research I did, focused on reliability, safety, shoot-ability, speed to initial and follow up shots, trigger mechanism, availability of parts, ease of fully detail stripping and re-assembly, including a detailed look at the design and function (which btw, I'm surprised how few people actually look at), interviews with real operators and gunsmiths and the actual track record in the field, the choice was very clear for me - Glock.

Is the Glock perfect...absolutely not, but it's about the best thing out there today in a carry pistol for serious social work. YMMV of course.

Dframe
April 19, 2013, 11:28 AM
I've never liked them. I carried one for several years as required by my employer but never fell in love with them. I own exactly ONE that I bought back from my department when I retired. I will never own another.

WinThePennant
April 19, 2013, 10:35 PM

WinThePennant
April 19, 2013, 10:36 PM
I'm a fan....NOT a fanboy! Fanboys are ok if we are talking range toys and the guns we all love, but when it comes to serious social business there is no room for brand fantasys and marketing hype clouding real judgement and facts.

I took a very long and detailed look at carry pistols for serious social work before I made my choice. I was initially not interested in Glock and very skeptical about them. Were they the cheap choice for law enforcement agency's trying to meet a budget number and save money, or a serious option?

After all the research I did, focused on reliability, safety, shoot-ability, speed to initial and follow up shots, trigger mechanism, availability of parts, ease of fully detail stripping and re-assembly, including a detailed look at the design and function (which btw, I'm surprised how few people actually look at), interviews with real operators and gunsmiths and the actual track record in the field, the choice was very clear for me - Glock.

Is the Glock perfect...absolutely not, but it's about the best thing out there today in a carry pistol for serious social work. YMMV of course.
THIS... This should be the auto-respond message whenever someone asks whether or not they should consider a Glock.

Soldiernurse
April 20, 2013, 04:37 PM
tarosean; Sounds similar to the Shield .40S&W. It's my understanding, originally S&W designed the Shield for 9mm only. It's a known fact the Shield .40S&W had (has?) I unintended mag drops. I was one of the lucky ones.

I've never owned a .40S&W Glock. My 9's & 30's have been flawless.

TreeDoc
April 21, 2013, 02:17 AM
Always in amazement about how much Glock hate speech there is. No other gun that I know of has started so many debates. I like em', the g26 has served me well.

Raise
April 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
Started with Glock. Felt like a 2x4 in my hand. Went to Sig, to S&W M&P, to a Beretta. I am now back to carrying my glock 19. Worth mentioning, these other handguns feel far better in my hand ergonomically, but for some reason, i am much more accurate with the glock 19. I feel ya man

btg3
April 27, 2013, 10:44 PM
Started with M&P. Now have 3 of them.
Glock is #1 choice among IDPA shooters. M&P is #2 and gaining ground. .45 has lost ground.

RugerNut9
May 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
Ive either owned and shot or just shot every model but the 380 we cant get here and the only one I ever had any issue with was the 37 with 230 gr remington ammo... didn't like to eject the last round? Other than that I don't know I personally could trust any other automatic out there out of the box.
I now own 2 G19s, my favorite.

okiewita40
May 13, 2013, 06:14 AM
I know I did not want a tupperware gun and swore I would never own one. I got on the response team at my work. Got issued a G19 and then further on G17. After firing an untold number of rounds through both of them. I came around to the thought of owning a glock.

I found and bought a S&W sigma in .40. It got stolen and now I own and shoot a G19.

Hunter991
May 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
You gotta carry what you gotta carry and what u feel comfy with. I wouldn't discount the xds however. Mines been one of the most reliable guns I own. I am not sure how anyone can conceal a glock thou.

Johannes_Paulsen
May 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
@MisterMike: Yes. I went through something similar.

I started with a Kahr MK9, because I figured I'd pocket carry that. Then I noticed how I kept using an OWB holster more and more because the little metal thing was so darned heavy. Then I took a handgun class with it, realized how impractical it was as a fighting pistol, and figured that if I was resigned to carrying something on my belt, I might as well get something bigger anyway, started looking for a replacement CCW pistol.

Then I went to a Springfield EMP. Loved that little thing...beautiful trigger, easily concealable, wonderful to shoot....of course, it was a jam-o-matic right out of the box. Couldn't get thru a whole magazine at the first range trip. Sent it back to the factory, had a bunch of work done, came back and was reliable for a time....until it stopped again. I don't give third chances to dedicated CCW pieces, so I traded that in for....

....a Colt series 80 1911. Really loved that, but it didn't quite fit my hand comfortably. A bunch of people were telling me how I needed to take it to a gunsmith and have him do some work on it, but I needed a pistol to use at Gunsite 250 that would be reliable and comfortable to use, the course was coming up fast, and the budget was at an ebb, so I traded that in for....

....two Glocks. A G19 and a G17. That was last Summer, haven't looked back since.

@Hunter991: A G19 is quite easily concealable in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. The G17 is a little less concealable, obviously, but with a covering garment like a jacket or vest, it's pretty easy. For the record: I am 5'7" ~ 165 lbs.

TanklessPro
May 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
I do not own a Glock. I own more 1911's than anything. The only polymer guns I have are XD's, Kahr, and Walther's. I do believe Glocks are good guns but I have not had any malfunctions from any of my centerfire pistols. The problem I have with Glocks is I can't hit anything with them. I do not consider myself and expert shot by any means but I'm awful with a Glock. I keep telling myself that I can learn to shot one but just have not taken the leap into purchase yet.
Funny thing is that I have a XD in 45 GAP but no Glocks. :p

Arkansas Paul
May 13, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've never owned a Glock, but the few I've had experience with have all been excellent. 100% reliable and I shot them accurately to boot.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I don't own one.

g_one
May 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
+1 for 'I'm a fan of Glocks, but not a Glock Fanboy.'

I think they're hideous, but that didn't stop me from buying one because when it comes to personal protection, how good looking a gun is doesn't matter at all when compared to reliability, functionality, ease of use, and accuracy.

I was having a conversation with a co-worker a few months ago, come to find out she doesn't CC but she lives alone and keeps a .45. (I didn't get around to asking her what make/model it was due to the way the conversation ended), and she practices with it every few months to stay sharp. At the time a G26 was my EDC, and before I even finished my sentence, as soon as the word 'Glock' came out of mouth she got one of those holier-than-thou looks on her face and dropped an 'UGH' combination sigh-and-grunt. She said something to the tune of Glocks being only for posers. I then proceeded to tell her that it was 9mm, which wasn't quite as bad a reaction as Glock but still got a good, dramatic eye-rolling, and some comment that I only vaguely paid attention to about 'why wouldn't you want to make the biggest hole you can??'. I think her attitude pretty much sums up what it is that bugs me about Glock haters.

Vulcan71
May 13, 2013, 06:34 PM
A firearm and caliber is like a tool and you need the correct tool for the job at hand. The Glock is a fine pistol that is reliable and widely adopted. It is one of the most widely adopted pistol line in the world with a large after market support. I purchased my Glock because I need a hunting pistol and found the benefit of having many conversion barrels available so I can hunt various game, personal defense and target shoot in a different caliber without breaking the bank. My hunting cartridges were too powerful for the stock guide rod assembly so I easily found a stainless steal guide rod assembly and various springs for each caliber and PF of each cartridge. With so many aftermarket parts and parts in the market place I can build-up the pistol without breaking the bank. The ironic part is I was not a Glock person but now I like them.

Johannes_Paulsen
May 13, 2013, 06:39 PM
@g_one - completely with you. I went out of my way every time I was buying a gun to try to not buy a Glock, just because they seemed kind of boring and bulky. Then I just realized that if I had a pistol for concealed carry, I wanted it to work, to be reliable, to carry as many rounds as possible, to be easy to maintain, and also be something that I wouldn't mind if it got damaged.

I'm sure I'll get 1911s again, I'm sure at some point I'd like to get a Sig or two, maybe a Walther. But those will be for fun and will sit in the safe most of the time....

g_one
May 13, 2013, 08:29 PM
I'm sure I'll get 1911s again, I'm sure at some point I'd like to get a Sig or two, maybe a Walther. But those will be for fun and will sit in the safe most of the time....
Exactly. A few months ago I bought the last gun on the list of what I think a person needs for practical defense and hunting. My next will be less focused with practicality, and more on "fun" guns that I want because they're bad*ss or because I've just always wanted. A SIG of some kind is at the top of my list. Maybe a Witness Hunter in 10mm

Ex
May 14, 2013, 01:26 AM
I have two 10mm glocks. A G20 and a G29, both new Gen3.

The G20 has a very large, blocky feel to the grip but I can hit POA.

I MUCH prefer the feel of the G29 with pinky extensions from Pierce.

Then there's my Gen2 G22. Aaahhhhhhh.

Then there's my GP100 with trigger work... Aaahhhhh

Then there's my MarkII, etc.

Like has been said, it's what works for you. If it's comfortable, if you
can hit with it... end of story

TanklessPro
May 16, 2013, 12:30 AM
DELETED

Started new thread, I did not want to highjack.

gunnutery
May 16, 2013, 12:43 AM
When Glocks first started hitting the LE market, I thought they were hideous. Then one day I noticed the gen 3 with the light rail and it completely changed my mind. No manual safety and fewer parts also sold me.

I think this thread needs more pics. I'll submit my most recent artwork, which features my G22.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=184070&d=1368675579
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=184071&d=1368675579

herrwalther
May 16, 2013, 04:34 AM
For the amount of money I would have to spend on a Glock to make it perfect for me, I can get a custom 1911 from Nighthawk. No thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock Love" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!