Proposed new laws would fire sheriffs for defying gun control measures...

PDA

oneounceload
March 27, 2013, 05:50 PM
So now that the elected sheriffs can possibly be fired for not following unconstitutional laws, maybe someone should start a law enforcing the one about treason, malfeasance of office, not upholding the Constitution they swore to uphold, etc.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/law-would-fire-sheriffs-for-defying-gun-control-measures/article/2525518

Supporters of the 380 sheriffs in 15 states who so far have vowed to defy new state and federal gun control laws claim that legislation is starting to pop up around the nation to fire any state elected or appointed law enforcement official who doesn't obey federal orders.

The first effort emerged in Texas. Legislation proposed by Dallas Democratic Rep. Yvonne Davis would remove any sheriff or law enforcement officer who refuses to enforce state or federal laws.

C'mon Texas folks - you always brag about your gun friendliness - get to your reps about this 'politician'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proposed new laws would fire sheriffs for defying gun control measures..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nico Testosteros
March 27, 2013, 05:55 PM
Courts, not individuals, decide whether a law is unconstitutional or not.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
It cannot be done legally.

ASCTLC
March 27, 2013, 06:03 PM
Just think of all those illegal immigrant sanctuary city officers that would all lose their jobs! That alone should stall this new legislation.

Andy

N003k
March 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
One of the biggest tools LEO's have is their discretion...if they take that away, well, I sure hope these politicians have a good idea of how they're going to fund the court system and expand prisons, because there's going to be a LOT more cases, and a LOT more inmates.

SharpsDressedMan
March 27, 2013, 06:14 PM
If they make laws that can fire ELECTED persons, I'm all for it. Perhaps we can fire any elected representative or senator that refuses to adequately uphold the constitution, lie to their constituents, or do some other illegal act. Throw in mayor's that influence legislation with large sums of money, and police chief's that engage in politics out side of their office.

TX1911fan
March 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
Just because some wacko Rep introduced the bill doesn't mean it will pass. This has zero possibility of making it.

jim243
March 27, 2013, 06:26 PM
Sharrifs are elected officals, only way of removing them is by conviction of a felony by a court and jury or by a election. (Period) It sounds like this State Rep needs to read her own State's contitution. You can not fire an elected official, or BO would be gone in a heart beat.

Jim

NavyLCDR
March 27, 2013, 06:27 PM
Sheriffs are elected officials, not hired. They must be recalled out of office, they cannot be fired by politicians.

Coop45
March 27, 2013, 06:32 PM
A law like that will pass in Texas about the same time that the out house smells like lilacs. I put it in that context so the Okies could understand it.

Iggy
March 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
If they are removing military officers that say they will refuse to order troops to fire on American civilians in a civil disturbance, how long to you think a county sheriff is gonna last?:scrutiny:

Queen_of_Thunder
March 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
If they are removing military officers that say they will refuse to order troops to fire on American civilians in a civil disturbance, how long to you think a county sheriff is gonna last?:scrutiny:
Thats totally different.

Torian
March 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
Thats totally different.
Kind of...

An order to fire on American civilians could be interpreted as an "unlawful" order, and therefore we would have no obligation to follow it.

Of course we answer to the uniformed chain of command up to the President. Sheriffs and other elected law enforcement answer to the people themselves.

Overall...it is pretty pathetic to see a threatened liberal attempt to make it unlawful to disagree with them.

DSling
March 27, 2013, 08:27 PM
A prisoner has more rights then somebody in the military. You are too follow the orders from your superiors. If you don't then you are done. I wouldn't shoot at our people unless fired upon first. I will firmly accept being busted down for that.
I think we all agree that that is add-on unconstitutional bill. It will never be a law.

Justifying my means with their end.

Texan Scott
March 27, 2013, 08:45 PM
She's an idiot. She couldn't get the votes to get it passed if it DID make it out of committee.

That is, of course, beside the point. Texas sherrifs are elected officials. They can be voted out or prosecuted. They continue to serve as Sherrif even when under federal indictment; the Sherrif of Bandera Co. is under federal indictment for (among other things) drug charges. Even so, as an elected office holder, he remains Sherrif until PROVEN guilty by a court of law.

Ryanxia
March 27, 2013, 08:59 PM
When courts fail, when courts become corrupt, it is up to the People to determine what is un-Constitutional. That is why we have the Second Amendment Rights.

chrisTx
March 27, 2013, 09:04 PM
She's a quack. We have three or four of them like that. They represent the very clueless "urban districts" in the major cities. I've met a few of them, and have testified in committee hearings before them. Given their behavior in the hearings, I don't have any respect for them. You think this bill is retarded, you guys should see some of the other stuff the quacks have proposed. Something like that would NEVER pass in the state of Texas, let alone even make it out of committee. This little group just wants some attention in the very small hope that Obama might call them up.

Trung Si
March 27, 2013, 09:40 PM
Texas sherrifs are elected officials. They can be voted out or prosecuted. They continue to serve as Sherrif even when under federal indictment; the Sherrif of Bandera Co. is under federal indictment for (among other things) drug charges. Even so, as an elected office holder, he remains Sherrif until PROVEN guilty by a court of law.

Exactly!
County Sheriffs are elected by the People of the County, they can't be removed or fired by any Government, Local State or Federal like appointed chief LEO's, the only way they can be removed is at the Ballot Box when their Term ends, or if they are Convicted of a Crime by a Court of Law.
The Case in Colorado that the OP is talking about is: some Pro Gun Sheriffs have been threatened by Anti, State Democratic Lawmakers with the holding up their Due Raises for their Stance, which could be construed as Extortion, which is a Crime!:mad:

ngnrd
March 27, 2013, 10:54 PM
Every individual has a right to exercise peaceful civil disobedience, even a sheriff.

Big Mike
March 28, 2013, 01:12 AM
I suppose it would depend on the state, but I believe most states would require constitutional amendments to do with the representative in Texas is trying to do.

chucknbach
March 28, 2013, 02:08 AM

It's the way they operate now but it was never in their powers. The states were to decide that.

clance
March 28, 2013, 08:35 AM
Start a Bill that apply the same legislation on the individual Congress persons and see how fast this movement gets drop! :evil:

When you figurer that it's Liberals/Progressives that are pushing this and they're in favor of "NOT!" enforcing the laws when it comes to; Illegals Aliens, Pot and a host of other things that society has deemed illegal I would say that we could actually fix this mess (like repealing any stupid gun ban) in Washington and the several states where these idiots reside if we apply the same to them!

Trung Si
March 28, 2013, 10:19 AM
A law like that will pass in Texas about the same time that the out house smells like lilacs.

I agree!!!!!!!:D

ball3006
March 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
Coop45 is right on...................chris3

Trung Si
March 28, 2013, 05:06 PM
C'mon Texas folks - you always brag about your gun friendliness - get to your reps about this 'politician'.

Every Village has It's Idiot!:o

She's a quack. We have three or four of them like that. They represent the very
clueless "urban districts" in the major cities.

Unfortunately I know which three You are talking about, all are from gerrymandered Districts and all are like Peas in a Pod!:rolleyes:

RetiredUSNChief
March 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
The fact that such any kind of representative would even attempt to write such a law is a direct reflection on the quality of people who are being elected into some offices.

Those that write the laws have a responsibility to make sure that such laws are, in fact, written to be compliant with existing laws and regulations...the "source documents", if you will. Plus a whole host of other legal requirements and checks that are in place.

"Not obeying" federal orders, laws, or other such matters is not necessarily the same thing as "breaking the laws". Discression is used at all levels of government and government agencies on what laws and legislation will and will not be enforced, and to what extent.

For example, it's against the law to jay walk and I'm pretty darned sure that any law enforcement officer could empty out whole ticket pads writing citations against jay walking all day long. However, when weighed in against other aspects of law enforcement which may have higher priorities, I'm pretty sure that if entire police agencies suddenly focused the majority of their efforts on jay walking that there would be a LOT of backlash. But hey...the law's the law, right?

I'm sure that, as an "elected official" herself, people could find plenty of analogous violations on her part which should require her being fired from her office, as well.

She can bugger off.

oneounceload
March 28, 2013, 06:22 PM
The fact that such any kind of representative would even attempt to write such a law is a direct reflection on the quality of people who are being elected into some offices.

Which goes to my desire to have folks pass a competency test in civics before being allowed to vote

OMG! That would prove just how pathetic our public education system has fallen since the early 60's!

If your only way to know who to vote for is the R or D after their name - you don't vote. If you can't name your governor, Senators, etc. - go back to school

BTW, if you can't afford to feed them, then you can't afford to breed them - no matter what color or ethnicity is involved

RANT OVER

MachIVshooter
March 28, 2013, 06:39 PM
Sheriffs are elected officials, not hired. They must be recalled out of office, they cannot be fired by politicians.

This.

And I think the idiots proposing this ought to seriously consider if it's a precedent they want to set...

xXxplosive
March 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
They've Sworn to an Oath and they know it..............

SleazyRider
March 28, 2013, 07:09 PM
They've Sworn to an Oath and they know it..............
This has always been a source of confusion for me; that is to say, the individual takes the oath, but the Court interprets the meaning of the Constitution. In effect, this becomes "I swear to uphold the Court's interpretation of the Constitution." If you'll permit me to assume the role of devil's advocate for a moment, although I can read and write the King's English, I am but a humble carpenter without an education in these matters, so who am I to question the interpretation of a justice who's devoted their life to studying that document? I am a simple man, and to me the Second Amendment reads quite clearly and simply. Apparently I was in error, and here all the while I thought the Constitution was written in plain, simple language instead of legalese so simpletons like me could understand it.

Trung Si
March 28, 2013, 08:50 PM
If they are removing military officers that say they will refuse to order troops to fire on American civilians in a civil disturbance, how long to you think a county sheriff is gonna last?

You being from Wyoming surely ought to know what the Difference is here!:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Proposed new laws would fire sheriffs for defying gun control measures..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!