Private sales at night

PDA

primalmu
March 27, 2013, 06:05 PM
Just curious, is anyone else uncomfortable meeting up with someone at night? Be it gun sales or even motorcycle/car/etc? Am I stupid for preferring to carry out a deal during daylight hours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Private sales at night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkansas Paul
March 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
I would prefer daylight hours as well if I didn't know the person.

buck460XVR
March 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
No, if you do not know the person, asking to do business during daylight in a public place is very intelligent, especially when cash is involved. If they refuse, there's probably a reason.

oneounceload
March 27, 2013, 06:10 PM
Yep - they might have a reason like they work during the day and can't get over to his place until it is dark........geez, not everyone is looking to rob you
If you don't feel comfortable, then don't do it

earlthegoat2
March 27, 2013, 06:18 PM
I did a gun deal at night, with a stranger, in a not so public carpool parking lot.

I never really thought about the darkness. The lot was well lit. I guess I was just comfortable with the situation.

Arkansas Paul
March 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
It was posted here in another thread about gun store employees carrying. One poster said a clerk had told him, "We have two of the three things criminals want." Speaking of course of cash and guns.
That's the case here. Two of the three things they want are coming into play. There have been tons of cases where people listed things on Craigslist and robbed the people responding to it.
I wouldn't take a chance.

SabbathWolf
March 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
Carry a Teddy Bear and a night light with you.

Lex Luthier
March 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
Broad daylight in an appropriate public location only.

MedWheeler
March 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
I make many cash sales after dark, at the front doors of the buyers. Most of them I do not know. I do it many times, but only on Friday nights. It's called pizza delivery, and yes, I go armed with a broad-spectrum safety strategy that includes situational awareness as well as a weapon (or two.)

Killian
March 27, 2013, 06:53 PM
Public place with security cameras and you ought to be safe. They'd rob you or kill you in broad daylight too, for that matter, if they are of a mind to try. Take armed relatives with you or mention the fact they are around in another vehicle with a warning, "So don't be stupid and try to rob me, ok?" and you'll be fine. Doing business in the parking lot of a police station is good too.

marv
March 27, 2013, 09:51 PM
My last buy was in a Church office. Bought a nice one from the Minister.

rcmodel
March 27, 2013, 09:57 PM
The last one I did was at 9:00PM at night.

I answered an add in a newspaper about a 4 1/2" Colt Match Target .22 for sale.

Three things made me feel somewhat at ease.

1. The average gang-banger stick-up artiest doesn't know what a 4 1/2" Colt Match Target is.

2. The seller was in a wheel chair in his own house, and judging by the hording clutter I could see through the front window, had apparently lived there with his dog, forever.

3. And I had a Chiefs Special in my jacket pocket.

But would I answer a Craig's List add to meet a guy to buy a Glock Nine in the back row of the Waly-World parking lot at 9:00PM?

Hell no!!!!

rc

Zoogster
March 27, 2013, 09:59 PM
And show up well armed and ready to kill everyone you are meeting with at the slightest hint it is a setup, along with backup. Like a seedy drug deal involving a lot of product.

Lol just kidding.
Of course you should be uncomfortable meeting with people you do not know dealing in high value goods.

If you are uncomfortable then don't do it.
If they want to ease your discomfort and desire the transaction they will probably suggest public places in the daylight themselves in an attempt to still make the purchase/sale. If they insist on the dark alley at night then maybe they have another motivation than doing what it takes to make that buy/sale.

ngnrd
March 27, 2013, 10:57 PM
If I refused to sell after dark, I couldn't sell anything from mid-October 'till March.

Yeah, winter in Alaska can be depressing...

Torian
March 27, 2013, 10:59 PM
At night, heading to my FFL's house, not a problem. A private sale between two individuals at night, particularly if I don't know you, is not going to happen.

USAF_Vet
March 27, 2013, 11:35 PM
I work second shift, so I don't get out of work til well after dark. I go in when most people are at work, so unless I limited all buying and selling to weekends, then I don't have a lot of available time. I won't refuse to do a sale/ purchase based on the time of day, but I will be more cautious than I already am.

Fast Frank
March 27, 2013, 11:37 PM
I try to go by the "If I think I need a gun to go there, Then I shouldn't go there" philosophy.

il_10
March 27, 2013, 11:41 PM
I've made plenty of such deals. Most often the hours just worked out better; they were working during the day, or I was in college and had class, or I'm working during the day, etc.
I typically bring along a buddy for FTF deals. More to kill the time on the road than anything else, but it's nice to have backup if you need backup. In reality, though, not being able to get a friend to ride along has never stopped me from completing a FTF sale with a stranger, and that applies to guns as well as any of a number of other things. I'm no less armed doing a private transaction than I am at any other time of day.

To be fair, though, I'm usually buying more collectible stuff. WW2 guns, old colts, stuff like that, so RC may have hit it on the head. Still, a trade for a '44 walther ppk brought me to what would have otherwise appeared to be a shady situation: dark van in an unknown, not particularly nice neighborhood, with not particularly well dressed folks, edging in on "gangsta" duds. We ended up chatting about milsurp guns and the like for the better part of an hour. I walked away more confident in something I've long suspected; gun people are generally pretty civil to each other. An armed society is a polite society, indeed.

MachIVshooter
March 27, 2013, 11:55 PM
they might have a reason like they work during the day and can't get over to his place until it is dark........geez, not everyone is looking to rob you

This.

I've done tons of transactions in the evening, for guns and many other items. In the middle of winter here, it's dark at 4:30 in the afternoon, and most people are still at work. If it's a weekday transaction, it usually takes place sometime between 6 and 9 PM.

If something feels off about the deal, I won't do it regardless of the time of day.

bill3424
March 27, 2013, 11:56 PM
I prefer during business hours. I would meet afterhours, but would have 3 of my brothers with big 'ol AK47's....lol.

Shuler13
March 28, 2013, 12:11 AM
The downside to night is the difficulty to fully inspect what you are buying, but I've done it numerous times in academy or fast food parking lots. I have my phone and conceal carry handy, but every time has gone smooth.

commygun
March 28, 2013, 12:26 AM
Once sold an SKS in the back row of the Wal-Mart parking lot at night. The most awkward part of it was that a tour bus full of elderly folks pulled up and disembarked as the buyer stood there inspecting the rifle. None of them seeming in the least alarmed as they went to their cars.

March 28, 2013, 12:47 AM
Day or night, I've done both. Always in a location with lots of traffic. And always with forum members on various gun boards I frequent. Never had a bad vibe or a bad experience.

FourTeeFive
March 28, 2013, 12:51 AM
Day or night, I've done both. Always in a location with lots of traffic. And always with forum members on various gun boards I frequent. Never had a bad vibe or a bad experience.

Same here. I work some strange hours, and luckily others that I've dealt with do as well. Pick a good location and be aware of your surroundings.

docnyt
March 28, 2013, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't buy a used car or a used gun at night if I can help it. Defects are rarer and more acceptable in firearms but still I wouldn't want to be surprised when I inspect it later.

thorazine
March 28, 2013, 02:52 AM
I've bought and sold quite a few firearms at night (even as late as midnight).

Sometimes people's schedules make it impossible to accommodate a meeting during the typical work day. :D

Naturally the predetermined meeting spot was well lit and some what populated:

1) Twenty four hour Wal Mart.
2) Busy gas station like a Flying J.
3) Dennys.

etc.

Ignition Override
March 28, 2013, 03:08 AM
I was about to say "No way", but read Thorazine's method at night.

That would be the Only possibility.

Rawss
March 28, 2013, 01:35 PM
you can always do private sales in the parking lot of a police department, it's a smart idea.

Sauer Grapes
March 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
Proper location and setting, I'm good with it. Heck, I did one transfer at a rest center on the PA turnpike. We did the transaction over dinner. :uhoh:

oneounceload
March 28, 2013, 02:23 PM
with a warning, "So don't be stupid and try to rob me, ok?

Seriously? If you spouted that crap I would be looking at YOU as the threat. If you really feel that uncomfortable doing the deal with that person, you should not have agreed to meet in the first place

cdb1
March 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
I have sold 11 firearms in the last year and at least half the deals were at night. One was at a Dairy Queen and the rest were at my house. I was packing.

Bianchi?
March 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
During the winter, the only time to buy anything is at night around here.

The Lone Haranguer
March 28, 2013, 03:10 PM
Leaving the safety issues aside, you never look at anything (guns, bikes, cars, girls in bars or whatever) you want to buy at night. Your purchase, when seen in daylight, may not be what you thought it was.

gym
March 28, 2013, 07:27 PM
For the right gun, I would meet you in the cemetery at midnight on Halloween, in Watts.

thorazine
March 28, 2013, 07:41 PM
I was about to say "No way", but read Thorazine's method at night.

That would be the Only possibility.

Also do a little research on the buyer.

Someone brand new on the forums with no history I might be a little a hesitant to do a midnight run.

However someone with a lot of reputation on the forums who has been around for a few years and who is very well known I would feel a lot more comfortable with meeting up at even three o'clock in the morning.

Bill_Shelton
March 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
Take armed relatives with you or mention the fact they are around in another vehicle with a warning, "So don't be stupid and try to rob me, ok?" and you'll be fine. Doing business in the parking lot of a police station is good too.

Yeah...Great Advice, Einstein!

clutch
March 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
I spent way too many years working shifts other than days.

As far as completing a deal, meet up someplace popular at night, buyer likely has a limited time window to work with. Been there.

GCMkc
March 28, 2013, 08:27 PM
I usually meet in the daytime at a grocery store or Wal-Mart (abundant). I always pack heat (CCW holder). It's funny because every private sale I've done I end up chatting guns, ammo, politics for a solid 20 minutes. Everyone I've met has been great and haven't had any problems.

That being said, I did do a night sale one time and brought a buddy with me. Definitely feels a little sketchy but my 10mm eases that tension.

KevininPa
March 29, 2013, 10:35 AM
Carry a Teddy Bear and a night light with you.
My teddy bear has a High Power in it!

Specs
March 29, 2013, 03:42 PM
I sold several firearms when i lived in Miami, and instead of the police station parking lot I used the PD lobby. It works well day or night. Just clear it with them first. If your buyer balks, then you have your answer.

shafter
March 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
I try to go by the "If I think I need a gun to go there, Then I shouldn't go there" philosophy.

Great philosophy Frank. A person can avoid a lot of trouble that way.

justice06rr
April 1, 2013, 12:16 AM
Day or night, I've never had any issues with buying/selling. Just use common sense and be smart where you pick your meeting spot. Gunshops make a good meeting place too.

I've even sold a pistol at 10pm at a restaurant parking lot. Not everyone can meet up during daylight hours, esp during winter seasons.

Doing business in the parking lot of a police station is good too.

Uhh.. I highly doubt that is a good idea at all. If cops see you its not gonna look good.

CapnMac
April 1, 2013, 04:53 AM
the back row of the Waly-World parking lot at 9:00PM?

Actually, Wally-World has video surveillance on the parking lots.

Store might close (many are open either late or 24 hours) at 2100, but the employees will not really leave until they get the store "closed" (register tills turned in, carpets vacuumed, etc.) which takes an hour or so.

Really, probably better to be in the W*M parking lot than, say, a gas station.

Although, it did a F2F in a gas station lot, with a really great THR member who worked 2nd shift.
I did an F2F with a different THR member in a parking lot at a Jack in the Box; great transaction, but that's when I decided to meet a BBQ joints instead.

postalnut25
April 1, 2013, 05:41 AM
I work graveyards and weekends, so stuff has to happen at night. I usually pick a pretty busy location like a grocery store parking lot, though.

That said, I perfer daytime transactions so I can see possible defects.

April 1, 2013, 05:43 AM
What's wrong with selling at a police station parking lot? You are not doing anything illegal, so what's the big deal?
In fact, I've done it. I sold my gun to a cop in front of his station.:p

foxs
April 1, 2013, 10:46 PM
Never ever have a stranger at your place. Make it a public place.

mcdonl
April 2, 2013, 09:03 AM

Frank, I agree with your philosophy but not in this application.

When it comes to selling items to strangers, it comes with a risk. So, therefore I carry my gun.

What are the alternatives?

Only sell your (Gun, car, motorcycle, etc...) to dealers? Many items have no resale market other than private sales.

Invite them to your house? No thanks.

I pretty much do all my transactions in the Cabelas parking lot, but I still carry.

bearcreek
April 2, 2013, 10:15 AM
Wow, I'm surprised how many won't buy or sell after dark. Do all of you work 2nd or 3rd shift or something? I've bought or sold stuff at least half a dozen times after dark. I'm armed and aware like I am everywhere else.

Garmangabis
April 2, 2013, 11:21 AM
I try to watch the sunset from my living room as a personal life rule.

I like to say I have a black belt in avoiding trouble.

People give clues as to what their intentions are, for example, if the guy wanting to buy your gun wants to haggle with you over the price or asks questions about condition, then he is likely legit, if he says "Ya still got it? Does it work? I'll take it." Well, just maybe you should consider asking him to photocopy his ID and bring it with him just to see if he freaks.

Steve H
April 2, 2013, 11:26 AM
Broad daylight in an appropriate public location only.

I like a public parking lot that has video surveillance, local PD parking lot and/or the local Fire Station are good locations.

leadcounsel
April 2, 2013, 05:33 PM
Lots of transactions, day or night. Meet in public, prefer parking lot under camera. Stay alert. Don't be stupid. Maybe take someone with you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private sales at night" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!