Cheap Holsters

PDA

jacob2745
March 27, 2013, 11:01 PM
Recently I acquired a new j frame for occasional carry. I have a hybrid iwb from White Hat Holsters for my primary ccw. So, I ordered a new kydex shell for the j frame. Apparently they are pretty busy because there was a 3-4 week lead time for them to ship the shell. Me being the impatient person I am I couldn't wait that long. I decided I would just buy a cheap holster to tide me over till I got the kydex. After looking around and reading for a day or two I decided to pick up a Desantis Sof-tuck. It is my first that is going in the "holster box". Out of the box retention was so so, and after a little break-in retention is pretty much nonexistent. The clip goes over the pants and behind the belt with a hook to catch your belt. I have never used this style hook, and now know that I really don't like it. Even with the light weight of the airweight it seemed to be pulling down on my pants and the holster definitely doesn't stay put. I'm only out about $20 so no harm done. I apologize for the long post. I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, it's better to spend a little more up front.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smalls
March 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
Some of the stuff they make us pretty decent quality for a decent price. Their cheap stuff, however is garbage.

Byrd666
March 27, 2013, 11:37 PM
jacob

Let us know how well that works out with White Hat. I'm thinking about getting a holster or two from them myself.

And if it's any consolation, I've got a full box of them thar holsters myself.

jacob2745
March 28, 2013, 06:55 PM
I use the max tuck for my M&P 9c and it is great. Very comfortable and versatile with the interchangeable shells. I highly recommend anyone looking for a hybrid iwb to check them out.

KTXdm9
March 30, 2013, 11:17 AM
I have an intruder and a nemesis from Desantis. Both are decent holsters for the money. Would I mistake them for a Crossbreed or other customer holster? Of course not.

GP100man
March 30, 2013, 11:15 PM
MTR leather works , there IWB is a crossbreed style ,very affordable & very comfortable for 24/7 ccw.

toivo
March 31, 2013, 03:16 AM
The best-quality cheap holster I've found is the Don Hume J.I.T. belt slide. It's a molded leather OWB holster. They make them for most models of handgun, and the quality is decent.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=53

They used to sell direct from their website, but not any more. However, plenty of online retailers sell them. You can even find them on Amazon from resellers. Use the drop-down menu from the link above to get the model number of the holster you need -- it's the number in parentheses following the gun description. Then start searching online.

Whenever I get a new handgun, I usually pick up one of these right away, just to have something to use while I shop around for the "perfect holster" for that particular gun. For a smaller handgun, sometimes the J.I.T. ends up being all I need or want.

ljnowell
March 31, 2013, 04:27 AM
The best-quality cheap holster I've found is the Don Hume J.I.T. belt slide. It's a molded leather OWB holster. They make them for most models of handgun, and the quality is decent.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=53

They used to sell direct from their website, but not any more. However, plenty of online retailers sell them. You can even find them on Amazon from resellers. Use the drop-down menu from the link above to get the model number of the holster you need -- it's the number in parentheses following the gun description. Then start searching online.

Whenever I get a new handgun, I usually pick up one of these right away, just to have something to use while I shop around for the "perfect holster" for that particular gun. For a smaller handgun, sometimes the J.I.T. ends up being all I need or want.

I have one of those for my G21, 1911, and an XD. I find that in the realm of cheap holsters they are about the best. There is a guy thats at every gun show in these parts that buys them in bulk and sells them for 18.95. Thats where I bought the last two.

bill3424
March 31, 2013, 11:48 AM
I forgot Don Hume makes a fairly inexpensive holster. I'd check out Uncle Mikes and Galco as well. Desantis comes to mind.

jon_in_wv
April 4, 2013, 11:01 PM
Theis holsters sells a nice hybrid on ebay. I have one and it works great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!